In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    For Thatcher. Who's in?
    The ASBO lads might join you.

It's not anti-social where I come from.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Better get building that dancefloor

Banned

Wonder if she gets to meet her murdering mate, Pinochet, in hell?

Got A Season Ticket

im cheering now. good riddance. made my day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    im cheering now. good riddance. made my day
    Me too, should have been hung for her war crimes. EVIL Bitch

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

Ding dong the witch is dead.
    Count me In.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Me too, should have been hung for her war crimes. EVIL Bitch
    It's a point the apologists for her go mute on Baz, and for good reason: there's no defence for them. She supported Pinochet and the Khmer Rouge whilst the tortured and executed thousands whilst backing the apartheid regime in South Africa; apparently Mandela was a terrorist.

The destruction of this countries manufacturing base was a lasting legacy and whilst it is churlish to ignore the corrosive effects the unions also had in some of that, she was naïve in the extreme to be applying failed monetarist politics at about the same time the Reaganites were applying double standards and embellishing the US's protectionist policies to ensure the likes of GM could maintain their strength.

She enjoyed a position of strength, championed by the UK's right wing press and Police who later showed their upstanding character in fine style. I wonder who would envy having Kelvin McKenzie, Conrad Black and Norman Bettison in your list of ardent supporters.

Whilst I think it crass to celebrate her death (there's a certain double standards to it), I do think she deserves every bit of forensic retrospective of her policies and can understand the acidic criticism she is currently receiving.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    It's a point the apologists for her go mute on Baz, and for good reason: there's no defence for them. She supported Pinochet and the Khmer Rouge whilst the tortured and executed thousands whilst backing the apartheid regime in South Africa; apparently Mandela was a terrorist.

The destruction of this countries manufacturing base was a lasting legacy and whilst it is churlish to ignore the corrosive effects the unions also had in some of that, she was naïve in the extreme to be applying failed monetarist politics at about the same time the Reaganites were applying double standards and embellishing the US's protectionist policies to ensure the likes of GM could maintain their strength.

She enjoyed a position of strength, championed by the UK's right wing press and Police who later showed their upstanding character in fine style. I wonder who would envy having Kelvin McKenzie, Conrad Black and Norman Bettison in your list of ardent supporters.

Whilst I think it crass to celebrate her death (there's a certain double standards to it), I do think she deserves every bit of forensic retrospective of her policies and can understand the acidic criticism she is currently receiving.
    I am just glad she didn't die before the Hillsborough cover-up was exposed.

I have just seen somebody say she couldn't be as bad as made out because she was a wife and a mother. Unbelievable. Hitler was a husband and a father so he must have been ok as well.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

she deserves nothing. She put 3m on dole in months, caused country wide riots because of her innane policies, started a war, smashed the miners literally whom many still havent recovered, ravaged the steelworkers, decimated all industry. Today is a legacy of all that she did. Should have been hung for treason for crimes to the nation.

Banned

I hope her son mark has got a 'sat nav' to the where the bitch is ending up, i wouldnt want him to end up in a desert. A sad day for brucie, tarby, cilla, parky. All the rugger clubs around england will be flying there flags at halfmast, and the chaps at twickers will be devastated. A minutes silence at all rugger grounds on saturday and wearing black armbands for the next. As for the rest of us its quite a happy day, and everyone ive seen has a smile as wide as christmas day. I wonder if we'll all get a day off on this sad sad day.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    started a war,
    Eh? How do you figure that? It was the Argentinians who invaded the Falkland Islands. The British were already there. So it was the Argentinians who started the war, not Thatcher. Thatcher won the war (insofar as a war can ever be won).

I can remember having a whip round every Thursday a work, we also took in food parcels,on the Friday the lads from the Manor would come and collect them, these lads were our friends and neighbours and what Thatcher and her cronies did to them was unforgiveable,we don't have a whip round today we have foodbanks instead,this lot in power now are just as despicable as she was,I can console myself in the thought that it will be a lot hotter were Thatchers going than it was on the coal face,I'll raise a glass tonight and curse the bitch,

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    Eh? How do you figure that? It was the Argentinians who invaded the Falkland Islands. The British were already there. So it was the Argentinians who started the war, not Thatcher. Thatcher won the war (insofar as a war can ever be won).
    I think you'll find it was the men and women doing the fighting that 'won the war'. It was a politically convenient conflict for Thatcher, it helped her to thrust Britain back onto the world stage and helped her deviate attention from the terrible poll ratings she was getting at home.

I've never doubted the woman's intelligence, she was a political heavyweight and weighed up most decisions brilliantly to divide her opponents and attract just enough support to keep the Tories in power. She was massively influential and we all still live in the shadow of the decisions she made.

But I hated her for her policies towards the people of the North and hated her for her support of Pinochet, the Apartheid regime in South Africa and her blatant covering up police wrong doing in the miners strike, Hillsborough etc. Those Tories who are praising her today all miss out those huge negatives about her legacy, almost as if they don't think that they are important.

I am not happy that she has died. To me it's an irrelevance. She and her supporters won and are still winning today. My side of the argument roundly lost. Her death changes nothing to me.

Banned

It was brave Prince Andrew that won the war.

I think a few episodes of Spitting Image should be shown,for a mark of respect.

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    For Thatcher. Who's in?
    Wouldnt miss it for the world
    booked a day off special
    Cheering for all the miners
    "you dont need to win trophies to be successful..........."

Sir Rafael Benitez

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think you'll find it was the men and women doing the fighting that 'won the war'. It was a politically convenient conflict for Thatcher, it helped her to thrust Britain back onto the world stage and helped her deviate attention from the terrible poll ratings she was getting at home.

I've never doubted the woman's intelligence, she was a political heavyweight and weighed up most decisions brilliantly to divide her opponents and attract just enough support to keep the Tories in power. She was massively influential and we all still live in the shadow of the decisions she made.

But I hated her for her policies towards the people of the North and hated her for her support of Pinochet, the Apartheid regime in South Africa and her blatant covering up police wrong doing in the miners strike, Hillsborough etc. Those Tories who are praising her today all miss out those huge negatives about her legacy, almost as if they don't think that they are important.

I am not happy that she has died. To me it's an irrelevance. She and her supporters won and are still winning today. My side of the argument roundly lost. Her death changes nothing to me.
    Well said gray, however im not in a minority this is happy shes gone.

Sir Rafael Benitez

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    Well said gray, however im not in a minority this is happy shes gone.
    I completely understand. My initial reaction when I heard was a cold-hearted feeling of anger towards the woman. Then I settled down and realised that her dying doesn't change anything.

I would rather have seen her properly held to account for the decisions she made whilst she was alive than have her die of old age and never be held to account.

In a way she became untouchable because she wasn't a well woman for the majority of her post political life. She was allowed to make her decisions then disappear from public life and never really have to answer for them. On a personal level I'm sorry for her that she didn't have a healthy last part of her life, but in a way it has protected her legacy because she was off limits and died without being held properly to account.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by mattsdad View Post
    I can remember having a whip round every Thursday a work, we also took in food parcels,on the Friday the lads from the Manor would come and collect them, these lads were our friends and neighbours and what Thatcher and her cronies did to them was unforgiveable,we don't have a whip round today we have foodbanks instead,this lot in power now are just as despicable as she was,I can console myself in the thought that it will be a lot hotter were Thatchers going than it was on the coal face,I'll raise a glass tonight and curse the bitch,
    I remember the lads from Parkside taking food parcels into the Legh Arms trying to sell them on for a couple of pints, she wanted revenge on the miners for bringing the previous tory government down, as well as privatisation, mortgages through the roof, poll tax all down to her, she did let you buy your own council house!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I completely understand. My initial reaction when I heard was a cold-hearted feeling of anger towards the woman. Then I settled down and realised that her dying doesn't change anything.

I would rather have seen her properly held to account for the decisions she made whilst she was alive than have her die of old age and never be held to account.

In a way she became untouchable because she wasn't a well woman for the majority of her post political life. She was allowed to make her decisions then disappear from public life and never really have to answer for them. On a personal level I'm sorry for her that she didn't have a healthy last part of her life, but in a way it has protected her legacy because she was off limits and died without being held properly to account.
    I also understand other peoples views and would never ridicule them for it.
    However being brought up in a mining community ripped apart by this woman i wont lose any sleep over her.
    I have never and will never celebrate anyones death but this.

Sir Rafael Benitez

Noooobie

Thirty years too late but a good day nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    I also understand other peoples views and would never ridicule them for it.
    However being brought up in a mining community ripped apart by this woman i wont lose any sleep over her.
    I have never and will never celebrate anyones death but this.
    Don't get me wrong, I am a longtime member of the Labour Party, I grew up down the road from Sutton Manor colliery and I hated everything that she stood for. I don't feel any emotion towards her and I would have loved to have seen her have a horrible retirement having to defend all of her reprehensible actions on a regular basis. For me it's all about regrets that she never had to do that, and that's why her dying means nothing to me. It's a horrible thing for me to say given her mental issues late in life, but I think she got away with it and she got the easy way out.

Blair has to live with Iraq and some of his policies everywhere he goes years after he quit as PM. Brown will have to as well, as will Cameron and anyone else who follows him. They will all have their records analysed and critiqued but will have to personally answer for them and feel the wrath of those who disagreed with them or were personally affected by them. Thatcher didn't, she got away with it really. That annoys me.