Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: End of season fun

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    A few highlight videos from 1996 would be good e.g. Wire away & Cas away (I cannot recall this game whatsoever, but I hear it was a nail biter especially with the try saving tackle from Joey Hayes / Steve Prescott?).
    Yeah cass away was a beauty.... last ditch tackle to stop them going over WOW that was a moment. I was dressed up as an arab that day, no idea why, but ermmm yeah an arab ! Get the cass game up woooooooooooooooo

Banned

I have being trying to edit Wire away - ………… I forgot how good that game was:

1. The euphoria of looking so confident and dangerous early doors
    2. Appolo's big hits
    3. Bobbie bossing it
    4. Prescott's cover tackles and breaks
    5. Wire scoring some belters
    6. Roper's try from a loose pass when we had gone nearly 80m to put them 24 17 up and near homw and hosed
    7. Scuffles
    8. Penny sending off for high tackle
    9. Two tries to go 25-24 up in the last 8 minutes
    10. Chris Rudd missing a goal to win them the game in the last minute
    11. A young Scully playing for them

Moral of the story: Don't let Sky tell you its a better game nowadays! The game will be up late tommorow evening. Thinking of editing Apollo's huge hits as a separate montage from this game?? What do you think?

Starting A Programme Collection SaintJ's Avatar

What happy,happy memories. Always loved watching Shane Cooper - one very clever [and under - rated player].

ONCE A SAINT, ALWAYS A SAINT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    There was a game covered by Sky in the nineties against Bradford. We were battering them, and one of my all time heroes, Shane Cooper kicked through from a PTB, and took the p155 by just putting his fingertip on top of the ball as it was about to touch the dead in goal line. The guy might not have been the quickest, but his Rugby brain was way ahead of the rest of his team mates. A player like him in the Red Vee these days would be priceless. He was a joy to watch, but like most players who play for the Saints, he also had quite a few who liked to criticise almost everything he did.
    I'll try and find that game. I liked Cooper. In addition to what you said he was also extremely hard working in defence and tackled above his weight. Although his niggling annoyed me when he got penalised, he was a very good player and the schemer we need in the side currently.

Warrington game goesup tonight. One of the best games of rugby I have seen.

Funniest Shane Cooper moment was when he went into a scrum with an extra ball up his shirt and he fed it into the scrum as the match ball was been fed into the scrum.

Learning All The Songs

Requests if you can mange them

- John Harrison and the header try

- Mal Meninga in the Lancs Cup and Premiership finals

- Some Roy Haggerty off the ball incidents - am sure there are many

Great thread

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Requests if you can mange them

- John Harrison and the header try

- Mal Meninga in the Lancs Cup and Premiership finals

- Some Roy Haggerty off the ball incidents - am sure there are many

Great thread
    A chap called DPID (Darryle Powell in disguisde) has uploaded some brilliant Lancashire Cup, Premiership final Meninga moments so they are already on if you want to see them...

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'll try and find that game. I liked Cooper. In addition to what you said he was also extremely hard working in defence and tackled above his weight. Although his niggling annoyed me when he got penalised, he was a very good player and the schemer we need in the side currently.

Warrington game goesup tonight. One of the best games of rugby I have seen.
    Exactly right in what you say about Cooper. An absolute joy to watch. I also agree about the quote about the quality of Rugby in the pre and early SL era. We may of lost a few more games, but more often than not it was entertaining, and you could always rely on a little fisticuffs every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Funniest Shane Cooper moment was when he went into a scrum with an extra ball up his shirt and he fed it into the scrum as the match ball was been fed into the scrum.
    Can you recall the outcome of that move ? A fine ? A ban ?
    Ooooooooo roll out the barrel, cos her comes the cooper !

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    Fined £400 and given a 4 game suspended ban, for "wilfully introducing a second ball into play"
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    I am pretty certain he got a ban for it. I have 6 matches in my head but that seems quite a lot but he almost definitely got banned. I am sure someone with a better memory than me can confirm.

Banned

As promised here's the upload for Warrington vs Saints 1996.... Phew, that took some editing!
    http://youtu.be/OZL3BSl200A

Got A Season Ticket Whatwasthat?'s Avatar
    Sutton or somewhere between Manchester and London

Sure he got 6 matches too.

Are there any clips of Les Quirks full length tries, the ones against Wigan and Hull?

A brilliant thread and bringing back so many memories. Have been saving to favourites on You Tube and sharing on Twitter. Thanks very much for producing these. Top man

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    A brilliant thread and bringing back so many memories. Have been saving to favourites on You Tube and sharing on Twitter. Thanks very much for producing these. Top man
    My thoughts exactly. Some fantastic memories being brought back to life with these clips.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whatwasthat? View Post
    Sure he got 6 matches too.

Are there any clips of Les Quirks full length tries, the ones against Wigan and Hull?
    On its way. Please can people 'like' on youtube as well as it helps increases the exposure of the video.

Banned

On its way. Please can people 'like' on youtube as well as it helps increases the exposure of the video.
    Here's Les!
    http://youtu.be/_iT4VDjGHH8

Apparently some idiot on here a while a go was trying to convince us that pace isn't important these days...:roll:

Got A Season Ticket Whatwasthat?'s Avatar
    Sutton or somewhere between Manchester and London

Here's Les!
    http://youtu.be/_iT4VDjGHH8

Apparently some idiot on here a while a go was trying to convince us that pace isn't important these days...:roll:

Haha brilliant! That for me was Ron's Finest moment, Orgasmic..unbeatable!!

Learning All The Songs

This is my favouritest ever thread. Brilliant stuff!

Any chance of the London away game from 1996, and Apollo's video ref try? If we watched that now there'd be no doubt I bet, but at the time it seemed an eternity for the decision to be given.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by hazzo21 View Post
    I am pretty certain he got a ban for it. I have 6 matches in my head but that seems quite a lot but he almost definitely got banned. I am sure someone with a better memory than me can confirm.
    6 matches would have been the norm back then. Goulding got 8 matches for his high shit on Cowie a year later.

Watching these highlights a few facts IMO.

1. The pace of the players. The likes of Pickavance and McVeigh. A young KC. It's like watching our current lot on fast forward or x30 on Sky +

2. The importance of a creative scrum half. Goulding was involved in everything, running the width of the pitch to be 1st receiver at every play.

3. In play kicking game. The bomb he put up for Prekky's try against Wire was bang on the money. Nowadays we have Jon "lucky dip" Wilkin.

Got A Season Ticket

saints fan not happy at bob connolly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbio...ature=youtu.be
    lol!

''gerrrumonside connolly''

Got A Season Ticket

Wow, what a great display of turnstile defending by the ginger doormat, I had forgotten how poor he was

Starting A Programme Collection BigMatt's Avatar

Brings back so many memories - some of when I was a season ticket holder in Stand C before I left home to move to Notts! Especially that games against Hull with Quirky's great try! Looking at some of the games from 96 - especially the Wigan game - how many of those tries would have been given today without going to the Video Ref. I had forgot it was in force until someone mentioned the Apollo try at London which did take an eternity - I was there as I was living in London at the time so made the trip as it would have been rude not too!

What would we give for 2 or 3 of those past players - spoilt for choice or what!

Got A Season Ticket big bossman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
    Brings back so many memories - some of when I was a season ticket holder in Stand C before I left home to move to Notts! Especially that games against Hull with Quirky's great try! Looking at some of the games from 96 - especially the Wigan game - how many of those tries would have been given today without going to the Video Ref. I had forgot it was in force until someone mentioned the Apollo try at London which did take an eternity - I was there as I was living in London at the time so made the trip as it would have been rude not too!

What would we give for 2 or 3 of those past players - spoilt for choice or what!
    great thread, not one for remembering names of players from years back but watching these clips brings instant memory flashes like it was yesterday, keep em coming. well done mate.