Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "they wanted it more than us"

Default "they wanted it more than us"

quote tony smith post match interview.

What does this actually mean. i can sought of understand it in regular season matches when little is at stake, but when you strive for a top 2 spot all season, out playing most teams before you, busting a gut to get home advantage.... do you really not 'want it' as much as your opposition?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think he trying to gloss over the fact that his team have the poorest play off record imaginable for a so called big team. 2 wins in the history of the play offs is an alarming stat he won't want banded about

Learning All The Songs

It means "We Lost". It gets used on this forum every time Saints lose, along with the word "passion".

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think he trying to gloss over the fact that his team have the poorest play off record imaginable for a so called big team. 2 wins in the history of the play offs is an alarming stat he won't want banded about
    very demeaning to your players though to suggest it. if anything they probably wanted it too much. i have noticed this about warrington before, they tend to spiral into panic rugby at times of pressure eg ryan atkins

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsy View Post

very demeaning to your players though to suggest it. if anything they probably wanted it too much. i have noticed this about warrington before, they tend to spiral into panic rugby at times of pressure eg ryan atkins
    It's times like that which show players like briers up for what he is, and show why countless international managers have ignored him. When the pressures on he just can't do it

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

If he believes that then:-
    a) His players lack total professionalism, and should question why they are in the sport.
    b) He has failed miserably as a coach if he has been unable to instil desire into his team.

Either way if I was a Wire supporter I would have grave reservations concerning the ability to recover and address their lack of cohesion in order to reach the GF.
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"interfacing at the ruck"

"winning the go-forward"

"i thought we won the collision"

I do think saints were incredibly hungry last night. How many times in the regular season did our defence melt against any kind of slick backline move? Last night we were determined but also composed when needed, e.g Sia's one handed offload, and Jonny's dummy. Contrast with Atkins...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I do think saints were incredibly hungry last night. How many times in the regular season did our defence melt against any kind of slick backline move?
    A few, but not that many. Our defence has been excellent all season and certainly hasn't been what most people have been complaining about

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

they got beat by the better team on the day. lets not gloat too much. theirs a good chance we will play them again in 2 weeks and they will take confidence from beating us at LP last month.
    im taking nothing from our well deserved win last night. but the big question is can we repeat such a good performance again. i hope so
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Saints where good last night, especially in defence however Wire where awful.
    Where was Briers he had a shocker and whilst I did think they would miss Westwood I didn't think it would have been to the extent they did.

You can only play what's in front of you and saints certainly did, JLo's best performance for weeks TP didnt do much but the game changer for me was Sia, the game was in the balance until he came on.
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Adrian Morley said pretty much the same after the game, words to the affect of 'they were hungrier than us' so it's obviously just something they are telling themselves as a group.

No offense to our club, our fans or our players, but if Warrington are not as hungry for success as a team that has gone to the last 6 GF's then I'd worry for them.

As it is, I just think its waffle and they are using it to deflect from their display last night. I would expect them to wipe the floor with either Hull or Hudds next week and then come to LP a week on Saturday feeling maybe slightly more hungry than they did last night. They can massively improve from last night and I am not writing them off. It will still take a mighty performance to get past them again in two weeks.

Banned

Sorry, couldn't disagree more, Warrington did not have a shocker, they weren't allowed to dominate with the attacking flare they show alot, our line defence was ruthless last night and would have kept any team to such a low score, I'm not under any illusions about the task we have to reach another final and I'm not thinkin we're awesome because of last nights result, but, Warrington were totally out played by a better team!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Adrian Morley said pretty much the same after the game, words to the affect of 'they were hungrier than us' so it's obviously just something they are telling themselves as a group.

No offense to our club, our fans or our players, but if Warrington are not as hungry for success as a team that has gone to the last 6 GF's then I'd worry for them.

As it is, I just think its waffle and they are using it to deflect from their display last night. I would expect them to wipe the floor with either Hull or Hudds next week and then come to LP a week on Saturday feeling maybe slightly more hungry than they did last night. They can massively improve from last night and I am not writing them off. It will still take a mighty performance to get past them again in two weeks.
    The thing is though, (and I said this to Warrington fans last night) given that it's almost certain to be the same two teams playing each other in the semi-final, and they have a huge problem playing us on their own patch, they might just be better off playing that semi-final at Langtree Park than at the Halliwell Jones.

Unfortunately, the nature of the system dictates that their one defeat against us costs them nothing and our potential one defeat against them means they get through to the Final and we're out with just the one loss.

Looking at the long term picture, maybe they didn't want it as much then, because it wasn't a very important game.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by TIMTOP View Post
    Sorry, couldn't disagree more, Warrington did not have a shocker, they weren't allowed to dominate with the attacking flare they show alot, our line defence was ruthless last night and would have kept any team to such a low score, I'm not under any illusions about the task we have to reach another final and I'm not thinkin we're awesome because of last nights result, but, Warrington were totally out played by a better team!
    They tried to do what they did at LP last month, going down their left towards our right sided defence through Atkins and Riley. It worked to perfection at LP and in fact they had a couple of tries chalked off as well that night. Last night Atkins went for the Hollywood ball three times and messed them all up. But they were in on at least 2 of those occasions and Riley would have walked in if he'd been a yard further back to take the pass, just like he walked in for those tries at LP.

So we need to be wary of that if we play them again, as although our defence was awesome they would have been breached at least twice down that wing if Atkins and Riley had been on the same wavelength like they were at LP.

Starting A Programme Collection shabbashaz's Avatar

Twice when Atkins passed the ball to nobody, the camera went to Smith and he was smirking. Not quite sure what to make of that. Would have thought a head in hands moment might have been better to see.
    ONLY ONE STEVE PRESCOTT

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

He's a good coach, he does it all the time, just laughs. Never ever seen him kick off, very intelligent bloke.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    They tried to do what they did at LP last month, going down their left towards our right sided defence through Atkins and Riley. It worked to perfection at LP and in fact they had a couple of tries chalked off as well that night. Last night Atkins went for the Hollywood ball three times and messed them all up. But they were in on at least 2 of those occasions and Riley would have walked in if he'd been a yard further back to take the pass, just like he walked in for those tries at LP.

So we need to be wary of that if we play them again, as although our defence was awesome they would have been breached at least twice down that wing if Atkins and Riley had been on the same wavelength like they were at LP.
    Very difficult to defend the wings if the ball is moved accurately and quick though. I think defensively we were incredible last night and its clearly what we've concentrated on all year. With how average we can be with the ball, its best to at least try and stay in the game. If we can keep Warrington/Wigan etc to less than 20 points in a game, then you'd think we're in with a good chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    If we can keep Warrington/Wigan etc to less than 20 points in a game, then you'd think we're in with a good chance.
    If we don't concede over 20 points again this season then we'll be Champions IMO. Our defence can win us the lot, but of course we also need a bit of luck and the other side to blow chances which arguably happened last night.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The thing is though, (and I said this to Warrington fans last night) given that it's almost certain to be the same two teams playing each other in the semi-final, and they have a huge problem playing us on their own patch, they might just be better off playing that semi-final at Langtree Park than at the Halliwell Jones.

Unfortunately, the nature of the system dictates that their one defeat against us costs them nothing and our potential one defeat against them means they get through to the Final and we're out with just the one loss.

Looking at the long term picture, maybe they didn't want it as much then, because it wasn't a very important game.
    The defeat does cost them,it means if they play us in the semi it will be at Saints. So it has lost them home advantage. Same thing happened to Wigan last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    The defeat does cost them,it means if they play us in the semi it will be at Saints. So it has lost them home advantage. Same thing happened to Wigan last year.
    The point being made though is that Wire may prefer playing us away from the HJ.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

I don't care what anyone says no professional sportsman wants to lose. If you had the mentality that certain games are unimportant well I think you wont do very well long term(Ask Shaun Wane if any games Wigan play are unimportant...I think the answer will be a resounding,"no").
    Smith is a good coach, I have utmost respect for him and what he has achieved at Warrington thus far, but the alarm bells must be ringing this morning....
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"winning the go-forward"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cullen's Mantra View Post
    I don't care what anyone says no professional sportsman wants to lose. If you had the mentality that certain games are unimportant well I think you wont do very well long term(Ask Shaun Wane if any games Wigan play are unimportant...I think the answer will be a resounding,"no").
    Smith is a good coach, I have utmost respect for him and what he has achieved at Warrington thus far, but the alarm bells must be ringing this morning....
    Nobody wants to lose, but last night in the back of both teams minds will have been the thought there was still a chance if they lost. Next week you will see a more desperate Wire if they are behind

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

we must lack serious professionalism then. we've only played with that intensity on 4 or 5 ocassions this season. the rest of the time we've been quite happy to plod along with mediocre showings
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Nobody wants to lose, but last night in the back of both teams minds will have been the thought there was still a chance if they lost. Next week you will see a more desperate Wire if they are behind
    Where they not desperate last night?....I think by taking that viewpoint on the game essentially undermines what a great performance we put in. Furthermore, I really doubt that either coach would have relished an extra game at this point, thus I dont think that argument carries much credence.

"winning the go-forward"

Banned

Where they not desperate last night?....I think by taking that viewpoint on the game essentially undermines what a great performance we put in. Furthermore, I really doubt that either coach would have relished an extra game at this point, thus I dont think that argument carries much credence.
    I am not saying they werent bothered, they wanted to win obviously, but they knew it wasn't do or die. Nobody is knocking Saints performance at all, it was similar to Wigan's display on Friday night - great defensive effort but plenty of improvement there to be had with the ball (As a number of your players alluded to last night).