Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 210 FirstFirst 12345678142454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Football

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Bitterness ?

Bitter would have been to leave them out the 6 completly, Maybe put lfc above them...??

I also chose a utd player as top scorer and player of season.

I thought it would have been stirlingshire that replied to mine. I can only put what i think pal.
    Fair enough but I will have a charity bet right now with you that we finish higher than 4th.

Learning All The Songs Barney Rubble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Fair enough but I will have a charity bet right now with you that we finish higher than 4th.
    Last time i had a charity bet, he (huntingtons) went missing after loising, never to be seen again?!!?

Mmmmmmm
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

Last time i had a charity bet, he (huntingtons) went missing after loising, never to be seen again?!!?

Mmmmmmm
    I had £50 with Wello last season for Prekky's fund. I paid up fair and square, dropped it off at Scully's house. You have my word mate... Your shout

I had £50 with Wello last season for Prekky's fund. I paid up fair and square, dropped it off at Scully's house. You have my word mate... Your shout
    Wasnt questioning you, was wondering if i could have the same effect...

As tempting as it is and i am a betting man..... The odds are stacked in your favour.

Maybe top 2 if theirs money on it?
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

Wasnt questioning you, was wondering if i could have the same effect...

As tempting as it is and i am a betting man..... The odds are stacked in your favour.

Maybe top 2 if theirs money on it?
    So hang on, you predict we will finish 4th but when challenged, are hesitant! You also have the luxury of any position less than 4th!

Ok am feeling generous, we finish 3rd or lower and you win?

So hang on, you predict we will finish 4th but when challenged, are hesitant! You also have the luxury of any position less than 4th!

Ok am feeling generous, we finish 3rd or lower and you win?
    Like i said, im a betting man and if you want to check it out, the bookies will have that(utd to finish 3rd or better) at a silly price and they win a lot more than they lose... trust me :-D

3rd or lower it is. Ill put it on my sig next time im on laptop rather than this shity keypad on my phone.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Bitterness ?

Bitter would have been to leave them out the 6 completly, Maybe put lfc above them...??

I also chose a utd player as top scorer and player of season.

I thought it would have been stirlingshire that replied to mine. I can only put what i think pal.

One certainty when it comes to football, Utd supporters are the most defensive out there

Besides, with the way we've started I'm just hoping we avoid relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post

One certainty when it comes to football, Utd supporters are the most defensive out there

Besides, with the way we've started I'm just hoping we avoid relegation.
    Come on mate, we lost it on GD last year and have strengthened this year including arguably one of the best strikers around. And suddenly we will finish 4th? Just one place above Liverpool? Can you blame me for being defensive

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

3rd or lower it is.
    You may as well pay him now. I can only remember United finishing 3rd a couple of times since they started to win titles again 20 years ago. Also, they've had alot worse sides than this actually win the league let alone finish 3rd. City may be better than them and I've tipped them to finish 2nd after tossing a coin , but to expect the likes of Chelsea or Arsenal to match United over 38 games at this stage is optimistic to say the least IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    You may as well pay him now. I can only remember United finishing 3rd a couple of times since they started to win titles again 20 years ago. Also, they've had alot worse sides than this actually win the league let alone finish 3rd. City may be better than them and I've tipped them to finish 2nd after tossing a coin , but to expect the likes of Chelsea or Arsenal to match United over 38 games at this stage is optimistic to say the least IMO.
    I normaly agree with 99 out of 100 of your posts on here. Guess what......

I will payout the moment they have enough points to finish 2nd or better

I normaly agree with 99 out of 100 of your posts on here. Guess what......

I will payout the moment they have enough points to finish 2nd or better
    99 out of 100? That means I'm making some great points or talking complete nonsense! I suppose the games are played on the pitch and anything can happen, but I do not see it.

Come on mate, we lost it on GD last year and have strengthened this year including arguably one of the best strikers around. And suddenly we will finish 4th? Just one place above Liverpool? Can you blame me for being defensive

I know, I'm only jesting. FWIW since Utd haven't finished outside the top 3 since the 1990/91 season and have finished outside the top 2 only three times in the last 21 seasons, I find the idea that they'll finish as low as 4th as daft as any United fan.

IMO they'll finish 2nd although I have made the point previously that it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish lower. By that I mean 3rd and I only think that could be the case if Chelsea have an incredible year. I only think that could be possible because of Hazard, who I think will be in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo in a very short space of time. Thats how good I think he looks. However, I would still predict Utd finishing 2nd if pushed.
    Last edited by SS; 4th September 2012 at 16:08.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

I know, I'm only jesting. FWIW since Utd haven't finished outside the top 3 since the 1990/91 season and have finished outside the top 2 only three times in the last 21 seasons, I find the idea that they'll finish as low as 4th as daft as any United fan.

IMO they'll finish 2nd although I have made the point previously that it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish lower. By that I mean 3rd and I only think that could be the case if Chelsea have an incredible year. I only think that could be possible because of Hazard, who I think will be in the bracket of Messi and Ronaldo in a very short space of time. Thats how good I think he looks. However, I would still predict Utd finishing 2nd if pushed.
    Haven't you heard we're getting Ronaldo back in january??

Seriously though, if Ronaldo does leave Madrid (I can't see it) there are perhaps 2/3 clubs he would go to - City, Chelsea & PSG. I don't for a second believe that CR would decide against those moves due to any allegieance to United and think he'd thrive under the pressure of moving to a club like City and with everything that would bring......actually as I write this I'm wondering how true that is. He's complaining about being unhappy at Real and not feeling 'loved'. Well either way I cannot in a month of leap years see us forking out 80m+ on him.

I would say though, whoever he signed for in England would instantly become favourites for titles in my opinion. He's that good.

My revised version.....

Top Six
    1. Manchester City
    2. Manchester United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham
    6. Everton

Top Scorer
    Robin Van Persie

Player of the Season
    Eden Hazard

Champions League Winners
    Barcelona

Young Player of the Year
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Relegated
    Fulham
    Southampton
    Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    Haven't you heard we're getting Ronaldo back in january??

Seriously though, if Ronaldo does leave Madrid (I can't see it) there are perhaps 2/3 clubs he would go to - City, Chelsea & PSG. I don't for a second believe that CR would decide against those moves due to any allegieance to United and think he'd thrive under the pressure of moving to a club like City and with everything that would bring......actually as I write this I'm wondering how true that is. He's complaining about being unhappy at Real and not feeling 'loved'. Well either way I cannot in a month of leap years see us forking out 80m+ on him.

I would say though, whoever he signed for in England would instantly become favourites for titles in my opinion. He's that good.
    You are correct with the clubs you mention although there are a couple of Russian clubs that could afford him as well, such as Zenit. This leads nicely onto my next post, regarding FFFP. I retweeted something the other day regarding this. Zenit St Petersburg signed Hulk for 50m Euros and Witsel for 46m Euros yesterday. They also were negotiating to take Moutinho as well. They are owned by Gazprom, a billionaire Russian gas mega company. They also just so happen to be one of UEFA's main sponsors.

Would anybody like to explain to me about FFFP again and how serious UEFA are taking it ?

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

You are correct with the clubs you mention although there are a couple of Russian clubs that could afford him as well, such as Zenit. This leads nicely onto my next post, regarding FFFP. I retweeted something the other day regarding this. Zenit St Petersburg signed Hulk for 50m Euros and Witsel for 46m Euros yesterday. They although were negotiating to take Moutinho as well. They are owned by Gazprom, a billionaire Russian gas mega company. They also just so happen to be one of UEFA's main sponsors.

Would anybody like to explain to me about FFFP again and how serious UEFA are taking it ?
    I saw Hulk but Witsel for 46m!! That's ludicrous. 96m for two players who aren't world class by any stretch is a point at which you've got to stop and wonder just what's happened to the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    I saw Hulk but Witsel for 46m!! That's ludicrous. 96m for two players who aren't world class by any stretch is a point at which you've got to stop and wonder just what's happened to the game!
    Yep.

The scary part is that Hulk was reportedly 50m straight up in one payment. Witsel is apparently 40m straight up and 6m in variables. The idea that FFFP will even football out and stop the stupidity in spending is a pipe dream.

More detail.

Up until a few years ago, Zenit were playing in a stadium with a capacity of 21,000. For 3 seasons, they've played in a new stadium of a 69,000 capacity.

They must pay incredibly small wages, sell more merchandise the world over than everybody else combined or charge the most ridiculous price for a ticket in the history of worldwide sport to be anywhere near credible. Still, certain individuals will tell us how FFFP is being rigorously implemented.

More detail.

Up until a few years ago, Zenit were playing in a stadium with a capacity of 21,000. For 3 seasons, they've played in a new stadium of a 69,000 capacity.

They must pay incredible small wages, sell more merchandise the world over than everybody else combined or charge the most ridiculous price for a ticket in the history of worldwide sport to be anywhere near credible. Still, certain individuals will tell us how FFFP is being rigorously implemented.
    I have got a Zenit magnet on my fridge after my girlfriend's parents went to St Petersburg last year.

I have got a Zenit magnet on my fridge after my girlfriend's parents went to St Petersburg last year.
    Think yourself very fortunate and get it valued. If FFFP is truly in action then that may be the most expensive fridge magnet in worldwide history.

99 out of 100? That means I'm making some great points or talking complete nonsense! I suppose the games are played on the pitch and anything can happen, but I do not see it.
    I should be offended by that remark about nonsense

As you say, its on the pitch that matters and i have put what i genuinley think will happen from the few games gone and the signings made. Although, we desperatley need a good finisher to put an end to all the good build up if we want to get anywhere near top 6.
    Joe Allen has suprised me with how good he is and Stirling looks ultra confident at the moment. Suarez has been what i expected.... Misses too many chances.

I should be offended by that remark about nonsense

As you say, its on the pitch that matters and i have put what i genuinley think will happen from the few games gone and the signings made. Although, we desperatley need a good finisher to put an end to all the good build up if we want to get anywhere near top 6.
    Joe Allen has suprised me with how good he is and Stirling looks ultra confident at the moment. Suarez has been what i expected.... Misses too many chances.
    I was only pulling your leg, all in jest.

I would have seriously considered Liverpool for 4th spot if they'd have signed a 20 goal striker. I think they will play some decent stuff this season and may well make a late run for it if they get the right player in January. As it is, I cannot see them winning enough away games to really trouble the top 4 and I think a lot of teams will go to Anfield aware of the issues and depend deep and frustrate them now. It's a shame for Rodgers as I think he has bought well in Allen, Sahin and Borini but the end product is going to be the issue, at least until January.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

More detail.

They must pay incredibly small wages, sell more merchandise the world over than everybody else combined or charge the most ridiculous price for a ticket in the history of worldwide sport to be anywhere near credible. Still, certain individuals will tell us how FFFP is being rigorously implemented.
    No-one has said it IS being rigorously implemented. No-one knows that it won't be though, and it's up to clubs whether they want to take the risk on it. The amount of medicore signings we've made suggests we don't fancy taking the risk.

As for Hulk (possibly more over-rated than Maicon), the club he has signed for is strange in more ways than one. Zenit have repeatedly avoided signing non-white players throughout their history as they didn't want to upset their main ultras. This is a statement signing for the club in their bid to tackle racism more than anything. A low key black player could fail and the fans will turn on him. The thinking is clearly that if he is a marquee signing (like Lance Hohaia) then he is more likely to succeed and win the fans over.

Either way, it's a bit like Mo Johnston signing for Rangers. You cab admire the bloke's bravery, think he's a stupid idiot for setting himself up for abuse or think he's a traitor for playing for the very people who have repeatedly hurled racist and bigoted abuse at his race/creed.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I think we're missing a couple of season predictions on here. Stu and Dave I'm talking to you!

Once we've got everyone's I'll stick them together so we can all see them as one.

I think we're missing a couple of season predictions on here. Stu and Dave I'm talking to you!

Once we've got everyone's I'll stick them together so we can all see them as one.
    Will get round to it at some point. Still can't work out if we are any good this year or not. At the moment, I am genuinely thinking we are looking at a 3rd place finish contrary to my banter with Barney Rubble!