Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 264 FirstFirst 123456122252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The WIGOON thread (the only one)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I agree with johnnyl here in terms of Wane's comments. He wasn't happy with the performance and wouldn't have been even if they had won. He's a perfectionist, wants Wigan to be unbeatable and won't publically accept sub standard performances. I've no issue with that really. It's not as if he was saying he wouldn't have accepted a win, of course he would, but he's saying he wouldn't have been happy with the performance. Arrogant maybe, but also the attitude of a coach trying to develop a winning culture into his team. It's our job to make sure that he's equally as unhappy when they play Saints in future

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I agree with johnnyl here in terms of Wane's comments. He wasn't happy with the performance and wouldn't have been even if they had won. He's a perfectionist, wants Wigan to be unbeatable and won't publically accept sub standard performances. I've no issue with that really. It's not as if he was saying he wouldn't have accepted a win, of course he would, but he's saying he wouldn't have been happy with the performance. Arrogant maybe, but also the attitude of a coach trying to develop a winning culture into his team. It's our job to make sure that he's equally as unhappy when they play Saints in future

I spoke to Wane at the Stoop yesterday afternoon whilst watching the U20's game which was played after the first team game. I asked if could understand the difference in Ben Thalers refereeing of last Saturdays game and Fridays. All he said was that he couldn't understand why Thaler had been given the "big game" of this weekend after Saturdays performance, but he also said he was disappointed with our (Wigans) defence.

For all you Sam lovers on here and I know that there are quite a few who realise what a special talent he is, don't miss The Superleague Show on BBC or tonights Superleague tries on Sky. His 4th was worth the admission money alone. It was even better than the one he scored at Wakefield a few weeks back.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    For all you Sam lovers on here and I know that there are quite a few who realise what a special talent he is,
    There is a difference between recognising that he is a special rugby player - which numerous people on here do - and being a "Sam Lover" which I certainly don't think many Saints fans would lay claim to.

Mind you, there's enough Pies come on here to almost validate you saying "all you..........." I suppose

Personally I think he's a little sh!te, but an outstanding talent.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    There is a difference between recognising that he is a special rugby player - which numerous people on here do - and being a "Sam Lover" which I certainly don't think many Saints fans would lay claim to.

Mind you, there's enough Pies come on here to almost validate you saying "all you..........." I suppose

Personally I think he's a little sh!te, but an outstanding talent.
    Have you ever been in his company?
    I can assure you he is one of the nicest and most grounded young men you will ever meet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Have you ever been in his company?
    I can assure you he is one of the nicest and most grounded young men you will ever meet.
    That's irrelevant though. He is in the public eye and for many people the only chance we see him is in and around the rugby field. We base our opinions not on whether he helps old ladies across the road on a Sunday afternoon but how he behaves on the field. That may be unfair but it's a fact of life.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    That's irrelevant though. He is in the public eye and for many people the only chance we see him is in and around the rugby field. We base our opinions not on whether he helps old ladies across the road on a Sunday afternoon but how he behaves on the field. That may be unfair but it's a fact of life.
    Exactly. On the field he is a superb player, and needs none of the silly milking penalties stuff he does, in fact without that he'd probably be a better player as he could concentrate solely on his gameplay. He could also lose the gloating side of his personality which he uses to taunt opposition fans, and I don't just mean Saints, I've seen him do it on numerous occasions. Then he would be seen solely for the talent he is. A bit like James Roby. None of the opposition fans that I have ever heard from any other side dislike him as a person, yet they all recognise him for the superb talent he is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Exactly. On the field he is a superb player, and needs none of the silly milking penalties stuff he does, in fact without that he'd probably be a better player as he could concentrate solely on his gameplay. He could also lose the gloating side of his personality which he uses to taunt opposition fans, and I don't just mean Saints, I've seen him do it on numerous occasions. Then he would be seen solely for the talent he is. A bit like James Roby. None of the opposition fans that I have ever heard from any other side dislike him as a person, yet they all recognise him for the superb talent he is.
    Lets be honest Alex Murphy was on Superleagues Supermen and he was ten times worse than Sam Tomkins. Both great players who knew it, I like that he tries to get the edge in every single tackle it's part of what makes him a great player, if opposition fans hate him because of it, even better

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Lets be honest Alex Murphy was on Superleagues Supermen and he was ten times worse than Sam Tomkins. Both great players who knew it, I like that he tries to get the edge in every single tackle it's part of what makes him a great player, if opposition fans hate him because of it, even better
    Explain why Murphy was 10 times worse??......... Oh! I forgot you can't because you never saw him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Explain why Murphy was 10 times worse??......... Oh! I forgot you can't because you never saw him.
    I have seen videos and read his book. He didn't mind bending the rules to gain an advantage

Starting A Programme Collection SaintJ's Avatar

I have seen videos and read his book. He didn't mind bending the rules to gain an advantage
    There is a big difference between "bending the rules" [as i will admit Murphy used to do at times], and deliberately taunting the opposition players and fans as Tomkins does.

ONCE A SAINT, ALWAYS A SAINT

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

So getting the edge in every tackle by trapping arms, flapping about like a fish out of water etc make him a better player?? He IS a great player, he doesn't need all that rubbish, it detracts from his talent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    So getting the edge in every tackle by trapping arms, flapping about like a fish out of water etc make him a better player?? He IS a great player, he doesn't need all that rubbish, it detracts from his talent.
    Did it distract from Murphy when he was influencing refs, taking peoples heads off and deliberately standing offside so scrums were allowed when Wigan had no hooker??? No its about getting that edge at every opportunity, some of Murphy's were pre meditated which for me shows how clever he was and also why he is worse than Tomkins IMO

Starting A Programme Collection SaintJ's Avatar

Did it distract from Murphy when he was influencing refs, taking peoples heads off and deliberately standing offside so scrums were allowed when Wigan had no hooker??? No its about getting that edge at every opportunity, some of Murphy's were pre meditated which for me shows how clever he was and also why he is worse than Tomkins IMO
    So Sam never tries to influence refs when he goes up to them shouting and flapping his arms? just like he did in the semi final, and gave Leeds an easy score. Don't ever remember Murphy taking peoples head off [ he had Vinty to do that for him!].
    Presume you are talking about the 1966 cup final when you say that Wigan had no hooker? Wasn't our fault that you had sold your reserve hooker [Sayer] to us, and then your regular hooker was either banned,or injured so he couldn't play in the final.
    As you never actually saw Murphy play [books and videos are not quite the same], how can you directly compare them?

ONCE A SAINT, ALWAYS A SAINT

The incident you refer to is I presume the 66 Cup Final. Murphy played entirely to the rule book that day, nothing whatsoever contrary to the rules as the were.

Ratboy on the other hand does use an illegal tactic in clamping the tackling players arm - it's just that the refs are so poor / naive that he is allowed to get away with it.

If you can't see the difference in the two, that's your issue.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    The incident you refer to is I presume the 66 Cup Final. Murphy played entirely to the rule book that day, nothing whatsoever contrary to the rules as the were.

Ratboy on the other hand does use an illegal tactic in clamping the tackling players arm - it's just that the refs are so poor / naive that he is allowed to get away with it.

If you can't see the difference in the two, that's your issue.
    But, in the spirit of balance here, because we don't have much footage of Murphy, and any footage that was taken was hardly on a level with now, then it's fair to say that there is every chance Alex Murphy would have done similar. Because of the lack of intense scrutiny, many players of the era freely admit to the amount of cheap and sly illegal shots that were taken off the ball, and it was much worse than now.

Just as now, players seeked to gain advantages by trying to get away with as much as they can. Murphy wasn't the first and Tomkins won't be the last.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    But, in the spirit of balance here, because we don't have much footage of Murphy, and any footage that was taken was hardly on a level with now, then it's fair to say that there is every chance Alex Murphy would have done similar. Because of the lack of intense scrutiny, many players of the era freely admit to the amount of cheap and sly illegal shots that were taken off the ball, and it was much worse than now.

Just as now, players seeked to gain advantages by trying to get away with as much as they can. Murphy wasn't the first and Tomkins won't be the last.
    You are undoubtedly right; however, the point I was making - for the specific incident referred to by our Pie-Eating colleague - was that one was totally within the rules as they were then (and immediately changed thereafter, akin to the Harrison Header!) whereas the other is outside of the rules and would be punished if we had decent officials.

I would imagine the antics of the likes of Murph, Vinty and any of the Chissies - just to name a few!! - would have the resident Sky Muppets in apoplexy week in week out if they were replicated today.

You are preaching about you something you nothing about.
    You may have seen a video and read his book but it doesn't give you the right to say the things you are saying.
    You never saw him in the flesh, I did and I don't remember those things you mention.

By the way Tomkins isn't is in the same class.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

You are preaching about you something you nothing about.
    You may have seen a video and read his book but it doesn't give you the right to say the things you are saying.
    You never saw him in the flesh, I did and I don't remember those things you mention.

By the way Tomkins isn't is in the same class.
    To be fair, Murphy admitted to deliberately running offside in the 66 Cup final. Clever if you ask me.

By the same token I have no issue at all in Tomkins trying to gain whatever advantage he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    To be fair, Murphy admitted to deliberately running offside in the 66 Cup final. Clever if you ask me.

By the same token I have no issue at all in Tomkins trying to gain whatever advantage he can.
    Murphs prone to a bit of exaggeration

Murphs prone to a bit of exaggeration
    But he did though didn't he? That's why the rules ended up being changed.

Didn't he also admit to being a million miles offside when we scored the last minute winner at home to Hull KR in the quarter final? If Tomkins had said that, someone, somewhere on here would lambast him for not owning up.

Let's face it, Alex Murphy never particularly covered himself in glory as a player or coach at times, when it came down to his behaviour. The bloke walked out on clubs every time the going got tough.

Don't get me wrong, he will be remembered mainly for the great things that he did but there is a reason that he entitled his own auto-biography, 'Saint and Sinner'.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

WARNING! PIE EATER!

A bit of fun for a very good cause.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/

A bit of fun for a very good cause.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/
    Indeed - good on him.

Learning All The Songs

But he did though didn't he? That's why the rules ended up being changed.

Didn't he also admit to being a million miles offside when we scored the last minute winner at home to Hull KR in the quarter final? If Tomkins had said that, someone, somewhere on here would lambast him for not owning up.

Let's face it, Alex Murphy never particularly covered himself in glory as a player or coach at times, when it came down to his behaviour. The bloke walked out on clubs every time the going got tough.

Don't get me wrong, he will be remembered mainly for the great things that he did but there is a reason that he entitled his own auto-biography, 'Saint and Sinner'.
    Wasnt the arguement from Hull KR that he had grounded the ball and it was dead. Dont remember Murphy owning up to that one, but French thinks it was dead, though whether hed have been quick enough to get to see it is debatable. All I heard was that Murphy nearly caused a fight in the sheds afterwards goading Foster (hard man) to look in the paper tomorrow if he didnt think it was a try.

FWIW my favourite story about Murphy (or publicity created by Murphy) is on his first Lions tour. GB were playing a tour match in the sticks. Murphy had played and been picked for the upcoming test. A club dignitary was full of praise for Alex and congratulated him on his test selection. He explained that his son was the Aussie full back, but he would be unable to get to the city to watch the test and asked Alex to say hello to his son for him.

In the test Alex scored a try gliding past the full back and as he went under the sticks he turned back and shouted 'By the way, your dad says hello'.

Quote Originally Posted by the priest View Post
    Wasnt the arguement from Hull KR that he had grounded the ball and it was dead. Dont remember Murphy owning up to that one, but French thinks it was dead, though whether hed have been quick enough to get to see it is debatable. All I heard was that Murphy nearly caused a fight in the sheds afterwards goading Foster (hard man) to look in the paper tomorrow if he didnt think it was a try.

FWIW my favourite story about Murphy (or publicity created by Murphy) is on his first Lions tour. GB were playing a tour match in the sticks. Murphy had played and been picked for the upcoming test. A club dignitary was full of praise for Alex and congratulated him on his test selection. He explained that his son was the Aussie full back, but he would be unable to get to the city to watch the test and asked Alex to say hello to his son for him.

In the test Alex scored a try gliding past the full back and as he went under the sticks he turned back and shouted 'By the way, your dad says hello'.
    Yes. That may be the correct version. Fortunately, I'm not quite old enough to have been around at the time.

Now the Murphy comment is funny but can you imagine the furore on here if it came out that Sam Tomkins had said that. The place would go into meltdown.

Yes. That may be the correct version. Fortunately, I'm not quite old enough to have been around at the time.

Now the Murphy comment is funny but can you imagine the furore on here if it came out that Sam Tomkins had said that. The place would go into meltdown.
    I'm sure even Sam Tomkins would be forgiven saying it, given that it was to an Aussie