Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345671323 ... LastLast

Thread: FOOTBALL

People talk about Utd having no money to spend when in reality it's all bollox. As you say, the debt levels are grossly exaggerated. We spent 50m last year with consummate ease. If Fergie wants to spend more than that this summer, there is money there.

Operating turnover wise, there are probably only Barca and Madrid that are in our league. Even then, Barca have adopted our marketing model as for years we were light years ahead of them. It's probably only in the last 6 years that they have been more business savvy.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    People talk about Utd having no money to spend when in reality it's all bollox. As you say, the debt levels are grossly exaggerated. We spent 50m last year with consummate ease. If Fergie wants to spend more than that this summer, there is money there.

Operating turnover wise, there are probably only Barca and Madrid that are in our league. Even then, Barca have adopted our marketing model as for years we were light years ahead of them. It's probably only in the last 6 years that they have been more business savvy.
    But it is still based on debt....it is this good old American thinking that has brought the entire western world to the brink of bankruptcy.

No. The money available is through turnover, sponsorship and sales of other players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    If City or Chelsea had thought he was the man to take them to success then they would have looked at him. The reason they haven't is because they don't believe him to be good enough, and I don't think any of their fans would either.
    I'm not convinced by that. Moyes simply isn't 'sexy' enough for City or Chelsea, however I have no doubt that as his time at Everton has been prolonged, his reputation for negativity isn't doing him any favours. However, I think the evidence in my previous post shows that it is somewhat exaggerrated. I think he deserves the chance to show he's capable of managing good players just as much as lesser ones.

The annoying things is that it has been the jitters of the manager rather than the players that has cost us. For ten away games we ditched the policy on the road that had served us well, won 2 out of 10 and only scored 2 from open play.
    Without pretending that I have watched City all season, I would think its a combination of the two. I certainly think City went 'off the boil' for a period, albeit a short one. Maybe that was entirely down to Mancini being negative, maybe nerves with Utd breathing down your necks, who knows. However, I definitely think 4-4-2 is the formation for City. I believe City should be favourites to win in every domestic fixture, home and away, that is the gap in terms of all around quality I think they possess.

With the UEFA FFPR as it is, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that we can win the league routinely as we simply won't be able to spend money to strenghten our squad, whereas United can maintain their monumental debt levels without repercussions.
    No evidence for anything yet since it hasn't been implemented. I refuse to believe that FIFA or UEFA are going to enforce any aspect of this. Does anybody honestly believe Abramovich is going to be held to account for what he wants at Chelsea, or Mansour at City ? There is no chance. Money does and always has, spoken. I sincerely hope that it is enforced and that Chelsea are forced to become the middle of the road, low light club that they always should have been, however they won't. They'll still be knocking on the door offering Modric £150,000 a week despite there being no evidence whatsoever that they can afford it. Same with City and Bale. They'll still be prepared to throw 40/50m at Spurs for him, simply because they can.

United will not be paying 35m+ for players for a long, long time IMO. They cannot compete with City or Chelsea for players, even if they want to. They must hope City/Chelsea don't want the players that they do, otherwise bad luck.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Surprised no-one has commented on the Barca - Chelsea game last night - a true honour to witness the drama unfolding during that one. It had everything - a red card, a penalty miss, shots off the post, good saves and some superb goals. Gary Neville's commentary for the Torres goal will be remembered for years, hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Surprised no-one has commented on the Barca - Chelsea game last night - a true honour to witness the drama unfolding during that one. It had everything - a red card, a penalty miss, shots off the post, good saves and some superb goals. Gary Neville's commentary for the Torres goal will be remembered for years, hilarious!
    Maybe I'm biased, and I dont deny I dislike Neville. But for me that commentary was false, his delay in doing it alone, has me doubting it. I just got the feeling he felt obliged to sound pleased, but deep down, just as Harry Rednapp has admitted to, he wont have liked it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    This monumental debt is now half what it was and year on year it's being significantly reduced, financial fairplay as far as I can see is all about a club 'living within their means' and as a club United certainly are.

I've just done it again haven't I?
    But we're stinking rich. Therefore we are living within our means. Are you trying to say that if I win the lottery, that money isn't mine, that I should only be allowed to spend what I physically earn through work in that period of time, and my lottery win has to be forgotten about?

Are you saying that the person who earns £25,000 a year, spends £22,000 a year but has historical debts on their credit card of £50,000, is living within their means?

If there was anything "fair" about this then United should not be allowed to spend anything till their debts are cleared.

We are the financially solvent ones yet we are being punished for getting lucky. At the end of the day, it's all about protecting UEFA's favoured sons from those nasty clubs with ambition who are not initially in a position to balance the books every year.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    Same with City and Bale. They'll still be prepared to throw 40/50m at Spurs for him, simply because they can.
    But we can't and our owners know it.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

But we're stinking rich. Therefore we are living within our means. Are you trying to say that if I win the lottery, that money isn't mine, that I should only be allowed to spend what I physically earn through work in that period of time, and my lottery win has to be forgotten about?

Are you saying that the person who earns £25,000 a year, spends £22,000 a year but has historical debts on their credit card of £50,000, is living within their means?

If there was anything "fair" about this then United should not be allowed to spend anything till their debts are cleared.

We are the financially solvent ones yet we are being punished for getting lucky. At the end of the day, it's all about protecting UEFA's favoured sons from those nasty clubs with ambition who are not initially in a position to balance the books every year.
    Ambition? You got lucky by having a couple of stinking rich Arabs wanting to use you as a toy. Without that, the flag in the Stretford End would still be up and the years ticking by.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

That's not really the case is it? it's more like having a 30k mortgage on a 100k house, earning plenty enough to easily meet the repayments and live comfortably. A 50k credit card debt would be pure debt whereas the club being valued at 1.4bn makes it more of a mortgage debt.

That's how I see it anyhow, maybe i'm wrong in viewing it that way? I dunno

But we can't and our owners know it.

Supposedly you won't be able to but I suspect the reality will be very, very different. How are the powers that be feasibly going to stop Abramovich and Mansour from doing exactly as they like ? Do we honestly think potentially the champions of England or potentially the champions of Europe will be held to sanctions and punishments if they sign a player that FFFP suggests they can't afford ? There is absolutely no way they will be held accountable, absolutely none. City will do what they like this summer, as will Chelsea and no doubt they'll continue to claim FFFP is working because City/Chelsea only spent 70m rather than 100m.

Supposedly you won't be able to but I suspect the reality will be very, very different. How are the powers that be feasibly going to stop Abramovich and Mansour from doing exactly as they like ? Do we honestly think potentially the champions of England or potentially the champions of Europe will be held to sanctions and punishments if they sign a player that FFFP suggests they can't afford ? There is absolutely no way they will be held accountable, absolutely none. City will do what they like this summer, as will Chelsea and no doubt they'll continue to claim FFFP is working because City/Chelsea only spent 70m rather than 100m.
    If United, Barcelona or Real were in danger of missing out then it wouldn't happen. If it's just us, UEFA would be more than happy to boot us out.

Let's be honest, if it hadn't have been for our takeover then this rule would never have been brought in.

Learning All The Songs Barney Rubble's Avatar

So, Not long now till the big kick off !!!

Should be interesting seeing as both Suarez and Torres scored hat tricks last time out !!??!!??
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Not one shot on target ! Think old Taggart got it wrong tonight? still.....a nice few bob on city tonight.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Not one shot on target ! Think old Taggart got it wrong tonight? still.....a nice few bob on city tonight.
    And yet they always looked threatening, but if Nasri had shot when there was a clear gap for him to aim at late on, City and their fans could have had a much more relaxed last 10 minutes. Anyhow, I'm still not convinced it's over yet, I feel City will have a far better chance, if Chelsea can beat Newcastle and knock the stuffing from them a little.

That weight off your shoulders feeling could be exactly what City needed as a club, of the two teams we’re definitely better prepared to sit at the top in the run in and cope with the pressure that brings and it probably suits City better to be 2nd and applying pressure on us whilst not having the expectancy on your shoulders. I still can’t see it not being down to the wire and the 30th is going to be when it’s decided. There’s every chance then that the scamp Tevez will score the winner and win city the title against United….it is fairytale stuff I guess for City fans and nightmare stuff for us but I can see it happening!
    Said this over a month ago and it's turned out to be true, Citys title and I can't say it's not deserved.

Fair play and congratulations to City

In The West Stand

Said this over a month ago and it's turned out to be true, Citys title and I can't say it's not deserved.

Fair play and congratulations to City
    nah, its still down to the wire, how can it not be? Your level on points, it now has to be settled on the last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    nah, its still down to the wire, how can it not be? Your level on points, it now has to be settled on the last day of the season.
    I've said all along this game decides it, momentum will take the title to city.

In The West Stand

Its certainly advantage City but there is a bit to do yet. At the end of the day, nobody can win it in the next game so its right down to the last game. Anything can happen.

In The West Stand

Hopefully today will put Liverpool back into some perspective. The amount of drum banging about how good they're going to be with the combined brilliance of Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing has been absurd. 6th at best this season.
    Proving to be not a bad shout.

Rubbish! You've got two games against teams that will lie down and die for you and we have two games against teams fighting for points. It's in our hands, as it was before tonight, but it's still going to take some winning.

That said, United were awful tonight. Fergie's tactics were a disgrace. United came for a draw and never really looked like getting it. They came with a defeateist attitude and got exactly what they deserved. Your man lost the plot tonight. You played right into our hands.

Dave you are getting very boring and tiresome now.

Newcastle were thumped 4-0 with Wigan and there is no way you won't win there. Momentum all yours. QPR were battered by Chelsea and you play them at home. Stop trying to sound like Mancini. You know full well that you are going to win it.

Deserved as well. Any team that comprehensively beats us home and away fully deserves it.

Enjoy the celebrations.

In The West Stand

Dave you are getting very boring and tiresome now.

Newcastle were thumped 4-0 with Wigan and there is no way you won't win there. Momentum all yours. QPR were battered by Chelsea and you play them at home. Stop trying to sound like Mancini. You know full well that you are going to win it.

Deserved as well. Any team that comprehensively beats us home and away fully deserves it.

Enjoy the celebrations.
    I'll bet you 1 English pound that they don't. Its down to bottle now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Rubbish! You've got two games against teams that will lie down and die for you and we have two games against teams fighting for points.
    Basically what Mancini said, he said United have 'two easy games', keeping it classy and respectful to the end eh!