Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SL Refereeing

Starting A Programme Collection grahamk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Behave. He is as bad as anyone. Makes things up as he goes along
    Absolue rubbish. Regardless of where he is from he is without doubt the best SL official in the game. Maybe Wigan don't get away with things as much under him, as for making things up as he goes along- he is applying the laws of the game, rigorously and accurately, totally impartial.
    Rest are a gang of useless prats but must obviously work cheap, including the French farce who would need a cd rom to explain which end of the whistle he blows.

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Can't wait to hear Rushys comments
    Not being able to keep count is a dreadful error, to make it more than once is unforgivable. I know what Lord Sugar would say to Monsieur Alibert
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    Absolue rubbish. Regardless of where he is from he is without doubt the best SL official in the game. Maybe Wigan don't get away with things as much under him, as for making things up as he goes along- he is applying the laws of the game, rigorously and accurately, totally impartial.
    Rest are a gang of useless prats but must obviously work cheap, including the French farce who would need a cd rom to explain which end of the whistle he blows.

I think Silverwood is the best ref. Closely followed by Bentham (who has officiated more Wigan defeats than anyone else in recent years). I think Ganson gets as many decisions wrong as anybody else. He got this rep for being the best ref, for sending a few people off, not for anything more IMO

Bear in mind that the 7 count is currently an allegation and unconfirmed, but the bloke saying it is normally bang on for spotting discrepancies during games.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

But having 2 would mean they only make half the decisions, it's worth a try in my eyes
    It'd no doubt be worth a try to someone. Probably the wrong team

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

I think Silverwood is the best ref. Closely followed by Bentham (who has officiated more Wigan defeats than anyone else in recent years). I think Ganson gets as many decisions wrong as anybody else. He got this rep for being the best ref, for sending a few people off, not for anything more IMO
    Bentham is awful, not quite as bad as Childs, but damned bad. Alliburke does seem to be in a league of his own, but most of the others aren't too many notches above. Ganson is the best of them all IMO at the minute - and not just because he isn't as spineless as the others, but because he gets a damned sight more right than the rest. Get your Cherry specs off.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Bentham is awful, not quite as bad as Childs, but damned bad. Alliburke does seem to be in a league of his own, but most of the others aren't too many notches above. Ganson is the best of them all IMO at the minute - and not just because he isn't as spineless as the others, but because he gets a damned sight more right than the rest. Get your Cherry specs off.
    How can anything I said be construed as Cherry specs?

How many finals has Ganson had in recent years? He is just as bad as the rest

EDIT:- Just checked and he has had 3 finals in his career, so obviously the powers that be dont agree with u

EDIT:- Just checked and he has had 3 finals in his career, so obviously the powers that be dont agree with u
    Ganson is from St Helens........more than enough reason for Cherry bias.

IIRC Ganson would have reffed many more finals - but until the rules were changed allowing refs to officiate against their home-town teams, and seeing that we were in most, he was denied that opportunity.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

He would have had many more if the rule of reffing your hometown team hadn't only been changed in the last few years
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post
    He would have had many more if the rule of reffing your hometown team hadn't only been changed in the last few years
    To be honest, I was actually referring to the last few years as opposed to back in the day. He has been overlooked more often than not, since the rules were changed

To be honest, I was actually referring to the last few years as opposed to back in the day. He has been overlooked more often than not, since the rules were changed
    Ah, of course, I'm also forgetting that the RFL are well known for making the most logical of decisions - how bloody remiss of me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Ah, of course, I'm also forgetting that the RFL are well known for making the most logical of decisions - how bloody remiss of me.
    Surely referees have their performances rated by their governing and it must have some impact on who gets the finals/big games. But hey u think Ganson is the best so u must be right.

I think a positive step would be for Silverwood to take the head job and promote some young refs at the moment there are too many errors across the board. To be fair I don't mind errors as long as refs are consistent because it is a damn hard job but refs struggle to be consistent IMO.
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Surely referees have their performances rated by their governing and it must have some impact on who gets the finals/big games. But hey u think Ganson is the best so u must be right.
    No, but equally I have no confidence in Cummings, who is as crap as the rest; he's also hardly known for the level of competence he demonstrates now is he??? If you think he is, then fine.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Given the state of refereeing, I'm not sure that using the people that govern it, i.e. Cummings and those wonderful people at the RFL as your example of prime decision makers works. In fact, given the state of refereeing, I'd say it might be that the better you are the more likely you are to be overlooked. Hence all the dire ones have been given the finals in recent years. The fact that Ganson hasn't had one is perhaps proof he's the best....

Also the fact that he was suspended after the Haydock incident may have counted against him, despite his performance on the field.

Are there assessors at games in Superleague?

Quote Originally Posted by 29wes28 View Post
    To be fair I don't mind errors as long as refs are consistent because it is a damn hard job but refs struggle to be consistent IMO.
    I disagree, they are consistent - consistently appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    Are there assessors at games in Superleague?
    Yes. They're called Match Commissioners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    I disagree, they are consistent - consistently appalling.
    Does anybody else agree that allowing the ball to be ripped out in the tackle, regardless of numbers would help with the decision making, as for me 75% of wrong decisions come from deciding whether its interference or loose carries

I was listening to radio Merseyside at the time when Ray French couldn't understand why Hull seemed to have got another set of six. I think they scored after the first play the ball. I am wondering if that was the occasion they seemed to have scored on the seventh. Both commentators didn't think another set had been given.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    No-one is disputing the fact that we made daft errors and gave away needless penalties. I'm not using the referee as an excuse for the score or performance. This thread is about the refereeing performance, and unrelated to the score it seems it was entirely inept, and therefore action needs to be taken as the decline in refereeing ability seems to be accelerating season by season.
    Fair enough.

FWIW I completely agree that officiating standards are ridiculously bad. I've posted before that I think out of all the mainstream sports I have ever seen, the officiating in RL is the worst by a country mile. I believe Alibert is only allowed to do so as it presents the impression of being an Anglo-French sport. He has been caught unable to count on at least 2 occasions and yet is given a game like today shortly after. Rumour has it he's done it again today.

The problem for me is that officiating in our game is unclear and too easily influenced. I am convinced that some officials basically give the first half decisions to one side and then the second to the other. It can't be coincidence that in nearly all one sided games, the calls start going to the side getting hammered in the last 20 to even the count up. You see some officials give a max of 8 penalties or so in a game and yet others have 20+. I remember Silverwood giving 1 penalty (I think) in the Anzac game and yet James Child gave 35 later that same year. Why is their a rule for stripping the ball ? It can be so tough to make a clear decision primarily due to this stupid rule. Is it not far easier to simply state that control of the ball rests with player and if he can't keep hold of it, so be it. Simply makes the refs job impossible. Some officials are 'homers' without a doubt, Alibert is almost certainly one of them. Invariably the call goes to which ever crowd shouts loudest most of the time. We see Ganson sending more players to the bin or off more than all the other officials put together. How is that possible when surely all officials follow the same rules ? The holding down in the tackle rule is absurd as well, an official must make a subjective decision as to who 'wins the collision'. A term so unclear it is almost impossible to work out. Consequently, sides are penalised for holding down for 7 secs or more yet when Wigan/Hudds or any other sides that uses the wrestle technique in defence are able to have consistent 9 second play the balls.

The biggest single problem for me in RL is that the influence of the referee largely dictates the result of the contest. It is that simple. In any other sport it doesn't for the majority of the time.

Surely if there are match commisioners shouldnt they be helping by pointing out the countless mistakes being made by the refs to Cummins. Or will it be the usual 'game is that fast' excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    Fair enough.

FWIW I completely agree that officiating standards are ridiculously bad. I've posted before that I think out of all the mainstream sports I have ever seen, the officiating in RL is the worst by a country mile. I believe Alibert is only allowed to do so as it presents the impression of being an Anglo-French sport. He has been caught unable to count on at least 2 occasions and yet is given a game like today shortly after. Rumour has it he's done it again today.

The problem for me is that officiating in our game is unclear and too easily influenced. I am convinced that some officials basically give the first half decisions to one side and then the second to the other. It can't be coincidence that in nearly all one sided games, the calls start going to the side getting hammered in the last 20 to even the count up. You see some officials give a max of 8 penalties or so in a game and yet others have 20+. I remember Silverwood giving 1 penalty (I think) in the Anzac game and yet James Child gave 35 later that same year. Why is their a rule for stripping the ball ? It can be so tough to make a clear decision primarily due to this stupid rule. Is it not far easier to simply state that control of the ball rests with player and if he can't keep hold of it, so be it. Simply makes the refs job impossible. Some officials are 'homers' without a doubt, Alibert is almost certainly one of them. Invariably the call goes to which ever crowd shouts loudest most of the time. We see Ganson sending more players to the bin or off more than all the other officials put together. How is that possible when surely all officials follow the same rules ? The holding down in the tackle rule is absurd as well, an official must make a subjective decision as to who 'wins the collision'. A term so unclear it is almost impossible to work out. Consequently, sides are penalised for holding down for 7 secs or more yet when Wigan/Hudds or any other sides that uses the wrestle technique in defence are able to have consistent 9 second play the balls.

The biggest single problem for me in RL is that the influence of the referee largely dictates the result of the contest. It is that simple. In any other sport it doesn't for the majority of the time.
    You're right IMO - their decisions across the whole piece are hopeless, not just in the control of the ball / ball stealing area. The whole lack of consistency makes a complete mockery.

Starting A Programme Collection saints123's Avatar

I love it how bazdev is on here laying down the law regarding refereeing. Given Wigan ahven't lost a penatly count yet this season. Bentham is clueless and I don't care he is not reffing right now.... so what! Ganson is by far the best ref out there, closely followed by Silverwood IMO. Alibert today was an absolute embarassment to RL, I'm just happy we picked up a point and gained on Wire and Hudds, if I'm honest I don't think 2nd is ours but 3rd is defo up for grabs. And for those who didn't go today will you not bother giving opinions on individuals because that just isn't fair or right. Stirlingshire Saint inparticular I have nothing against you but today tou have talked out of your back end. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS. SAINTS UNTIL I DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saints123 View Post
    I love it how bazdev is on here laying down the law regarding refereeing. Given Wigan ahven't lost a penatly count yet this season. Bentham is clueless and I don't care he is not reffing right now.... so what! Ganson is by far the best ref out there, closely followed by Silverwood IMO. Alibert today was an absolute embarassment to RL, I'm just happy we picked up a point and gained on Wire and Hudds, if I'm honest I don't think 2nd is ours but 3rd is defo up for grabs. And for those who didn't go today will you not bother giving opinions on individuals because that just isn't fair or right. Stirlingshire Saint inparticular I have nothing against you but today tou have talked out of your back end. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS. SAINTS UNTIL I DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is having an opinion laying the law down?