Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    But the artists representation was what Saints (with mr. Teflons approval) used to sell tickets. The majority of fans would have taken that as being a truthful representation of what was going to being built.
    Would you pay for a holiday abroad in a hotel that was pictured in a brochure as an artists impression??

Artists impression = poetic licence

Starting A Programme Collection grahamk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post
    Plenty of on street parking.....as opposed to plenty of parking in the town centre with a short walk to LP....you're telling me every year at KR we had great player recruitment ??? What utter bollocks...yes we had many great players and legends but we also had lots of duffers playing for Saints.
    Your memory must be fading with age because I spent many a game at KR where you could hear a pin drop for 90% of the game because people were bored with what they were watching...particularly under the Potter years.

The problem is, you're comparing ONE YEAR at LP up against 120 years at KR
    Sorry, not been following Saints for 120 years, have you?
    Never said every single year was perfect, and yes totally agree the latter Potter years were tragic.
    What is it with you and the ageist obsession?? Presume you are a comparative youngster, but I'll forgive you for something you have no control over.
    As I've already posted, Andy Platt used to ask us how long to go as we were the only ones at the Boundary Rd end, and still have memories of retrieving the ball for Frankie Barrow once or twice for same reason so obviously attendances are now (currently) up on KR, but previous to Potter, we did play some great footy.
    Anyway from an obviously senile 66 and a bit year old who by all accounts should be in a home for incurable complainers I bid you good day.

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    I've not given my view on whether the club got what they wanted or not, but I am telling you why I think people are confused. I know, I am.
    Noted. Whatever the situation, I think that the project could have been handled better. The paying public are clearly disappointed - if this is an expectations related issue then the comms from Saints have let us down again. If it is a technical one, then it is more complicated but there is that lingering feeling as to why everyone else succeeds where we (with the exception of Carlisle United and Oxofrd Utd FC ) have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    we were the only ones at the Boundary Rd end

from an obviously senile 66 and a bit year old
    What end???

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    What end???
    I thought they were in the Baths waiting for the whistle to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    What end???
    Sorry, Crusader obviously right, galloping senility has arrived with a vengence

DUNRIDING LANE END

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Quote Originally Posted by NortonSaint View Post
    I thought they were in the Baths waiting for the whistle to get out.
    Ha!
    Sorry, brain cells have left the building.

Dunriding Lane.

Ah well Igor, back to the laboratory.

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    No you see the problem is peoples perception of what was finished and what was how it was supposed to be.

Eamonn always talked about the "Halo" , the plans showed no cladding, but an artists 3d representation did.

That is the reason people are confused and also the reason it will take time to sort out.

Its all about "perception management" these days isn't it.

Its become a very easy line to trot out when something is clearly wrong.

(St Helens Council are a another group who are masters at the "perception survey" in recent years.)
    E.g If most people surveyed think that St Helens has too many pound shops its not an issue/problem, just a perception.)

I'm not confused at all and its certainly not a perception that many people are getting a good soaking at Langtree Park during inclement weather which shouldn't be the case.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Why not try to look at it this way. None of us were at KR from the start, but we were there at the end. Yes it had a great atmosphere for the big games, but so did LP last season. It also had cr@p atmospheres for a lot of "run of the mill games", just like LP last season. Try to look at KR in the bigger picture, it was once a great stadium, but that was a long time ago, and it had run its course, it was getting worse by the season. For me, LP will get better by the season, yes it still has issues, but the club are aware of them and will address them in time. There is no doubting the fact that it would have been great to walk into an all singing all dancing stadium from day one, but it did'nt happen. As for the atmosphere issue. That has nothing to do with the stadium, but more the people in it, and yes I include the players in that, as they need to give us something to cheer.
    You might be a Blue, but you're wrong.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, but we'll do it again.

There are many clubs who design a stadium a certain way because it has been scientifically proven to improve the acoustics. A completely infilled ground with enclosed corners, cladding etc, only needs a small pocket of fans to sing loudly to make it sound much better than it actually is, because the sound reverberates around and stays in the enclosed space.

At Knowsley Road, that atmosphere did reveverberate around the Popular Side because of the compactness and the shape of the roof, which enabled the sound projecting outwards and upwards, to bounce back towards the fans.

At Langtree Park, the roof is so high and the back of the stands are so open, that there is no reverberation or echo. We've all been on open terraces and noted how the same amount of people singing as per home games sounds ten times less loud. It's simple science.

Yes, we did have crap atmospheres at Knowsley Road but we also had some good ones. The fact is that in Rugby League, only a small percentage sing. Always have done and always will do. So you can't suddenly expect all 9,000 (plus 5,000 fans disguised as seats) to all suddenly sing.

I've news for the West Stand folk who think we had some good atmospheres last season though, and that is that none of us near the 40 metre line nearer to the West Stand can hardly see or hear anything at all, and that went for the Wigan and Warrington games too.

The atmosphere at Langtree Park will continue to be dismal until the stadium is finished.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Would you pay for a holiday abroad in a hotel that was pictured in a brochure as an artists impression??

But the club iself used that impression to sell season tickets. If they knew it was wrong, then it was also wrong of them to sell them us by using those impressions instead of showing us the real plans.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post

When the 1st season tickets went on sale that is all people had to go on, the stadium was not built so couldn't have been a photographed. As for the detailed plans I don't think they were ever used to promote the stadium to the public.

Starting A Programme Collection

I think LP will be a lot better when the new generation of fans who have only ever been to LP are in the majority! Then there will be no rose tinted memories of an out of date and poor condition stadium to cloud the judgement.

We have finished our 1st year at LP and going into our second, yes its different, yes its new and there are still some issues to resolve however give it time and it will overtake KR in every respect, without doubt.

This stadium will only make the club stronger and fans need to get behind it behind, the stadium will not make the atmosphere, only the people in there can do that and I dont care what science you use as even fully clad etc etc etc if people are not in there it wont make a noise!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I think LP will be a lot better when the new generation of fans who have only ever been to LP are in the majority! Then there will be no rose tinted memories of an out of date and poor condition stadium to cloud the judgement.

We have finished our 1st year at LP and going into our second, yes its different, yes its new and there are still some issues to resolve however give it time and it will overtake KR in every respect, without doubt.

This stadium will only make the club stronger and fans need to get behind it behind, the stadium will not make the atmosphere, only the people in there can do that and I dont care what science you use as even fully clad etc etc etc if people are not in there it wont make a noise!
    Nobody is saying KR is better than LP, however what people are saying is its not too much of an ask for a brand new £25 million stadium to stay dry when you're within the stadium.

It's like trading in an x reg fiesta you've had for years, buying a brand new landrover and the wipers not working. You wouldn't be happy with the dealer saying "well it's better than your old one"

If the fans don't raise these points, nothing would ever get done

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post

OK so presumably you are advocating mass suicide of anyone who was fortunate enough to savour the totally unique atmosphere that was KR RIP so that there will be a complete lack of objective criticism. Then those of us still remaining wait until the "new generation" mature enough to produce their own next wave of supporters so that the ground will be full once again in this quasi utopian world inhabited by non KR domiciled RL supporters. How long will LP take to overtake KR? you ask, will LP last as long as KR? I ask.
    There is no doubt that (according to the club) Saints would not be in existence without the massive investment in LP, but I disagree with you in that stadia DO contribute to atmosphere, if the surroundings are user friendly, fans will respond, We will always support our club through thick and thin, but a little bit of reciprocal support by the club to make our match days a bit drier and less draughty always helps.

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Got A Season Ticket

Speaking to the head steward today at the opening training session, he said there hoping to have the back of the west stand clad, the NW corner clad and the NE corner, with clear perspex coming down the side of the west north and east stands

Starting A Programme Collection

Never seen clear perspex used in any build where it didnt look a dogs breakfast. It always looks like an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by SElliott View Post
    Speaking to the head steward today at the opening training session, he said there hoping to have the back of the west stand clad, the NW corner clad and the NE corner, with clear perspex coming down the side of the west north and east stands

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintlysid View Post
    Never seen clear perspex used in any build where it didnt look a dogs breakfast. It always looks like an afterthought.
    Must admit, it does sound like a potential eyesore, one thing is for sure, it will need a regular cleaning rota. But you never know, it could look awesome !!!!

Starting A Programme Collection SaintJ's Avatar

Does this include the BACK of the North Stand??

ONCE A SAINT, ALWAYS A SAINT

Got A Season Ticket

Well I was just quoting what the head steward said to me, don't shoot the messenger

I think your all just bored because its the off season and having a good moan! :-)
    Seriously though myself and the 8 other people who I sit with in the North Stand Block C are not in the slightest bothered about the cladding! We go to watch our team play rugby week in week out, good results or bad results! At the end of the day we have our own ground, great corporate/wedding/party facilities which are booked up most of the time and are generating a good income for the club which is vital in these economic times. Is it really that big an issue? Not for the 99% of people that I know!

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I think your all just bored because its the off season and having a good moan! :-)
    Seriously though myself and the 8 other people who I sit with in the North Stand Block C are not in the slightest bothered about the cladding! We go to watch our team play rugby week in week out, good results or bad results! At the end of the day we have our own ground, great corporate/wedding/party facilities which are booked up most of the time and are generating a good income for the club which is vital in these economic times. Is it really that big an issue? Not for the 99% of people that I know!
    Del, I know where I can get hold of a job lot of Russian Betamax Video machines if you're interested (note you're not your) give us a bell.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Del, I know where I can get hold of a job lot of Russian Betamax Video machines if you're interested (note you're not your) give us a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Unfortunately, for the 99% of people I know, it is.

Banned

ive got two spare fence pannels that the club are welcome too if it helps........doubt were getting anything better

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

It is an afterthought.

When the new stadium was first being talked about all those years ago, I suggested they used lots of glass in the construction (and get Pilks on board, who were our sponsors at the time...and call the place 'Glass-works').

I guess I can still dream!