Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1727333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 10

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    There were actually walls at the back of the stands, which were attached to the roofs, where there were roofs. But I think the biggest difference between KR and LP in terms of atmosphere was the distance between the action and the supporters. At KR we were on top of the action. At LP, certainly in the West Stand, we feel miles away. Contrast that with Salford's new place which is just as new but not only has walls which are attached to roofs (and dry concourses - a luxury!) but speccies are also close to the action.
    Obviously you didn't pay much attention to the wall at the back of the Pop Side because there was a gap between the wall and the roof....admittedly not a massive one but it didn't go right up to the roof.....
    As for the distance between the action and the supporters seeming so far away compared to KR...are you being serious ??? Maybe your eyesight has deteriorated in the last couple of years but to suggest that has affected the atmosphere is almost laughable
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post

I'm not missing the point at all...I'm not comparing the stadiums, I just don't get how he has all this apathy at LP but he was quite happy with it at KR.
    Because KR wasn't brand new!

Remember the first game at LP when we were told we had a world class stadium for a world class team? We have neither

In The South Stand

Obviously you didn't pay much attention to the wall at the back of the Pop Side because there was a gap between the wall and the roof....admittedly not a massive one but it didn't go right up to the roof.....
    As near as dammit it did. The gap was so small as to make no odds at all. It was well cosy in the Pop Side.

As for the distance between the action and the supporters seeming so far away compared to KR...are you being serious ??? Maybe your eyesight has deteriorated in the last couple of years but to suggest that has affected the atmosphere is almost laughable
    In the West Stand the action feels miles away. And, on a factual level, it is actually further away than at KR. Not only were the Pop Stand steps shallower than those at LP, but where the Pop Stand ended, the pitch proper began, with just a few feet of grass before the touchline. At LP there is firstly a concrete pathway then a few feet of fake grass and then the actual pitch. And I'm sure the West Stand is bigger structurally (in depth if not in length) than the Pop Side? I couldn't say that for certain though as it's two years since I stood in the Pop Side stand.

Having the standing behind the sticks was a crackers idea in the first place. Mind you its better than the four corners on the very original plan that fell through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Having the standing behind the sticks was a crackers idea in the first place. Mind you its better than the four corners on the very original plan that fell through.
    Definitely agree there mate. The North Stand should've been standing ala the Popular Side at KR with the West seating similar to Warrington's layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Right, you've gone too far now, you've made me come on here and defend and agree with Jamie's Boots. I hope you feel proud of yourself!

Seriously, the back of the West Stand (were the bulk of the songs originate) is a lot further from the action than the back of the Pop. Coupled with it being behind the sticks so only really reaching the players for half of the game as opposed to it previously being around the half way line and always getting to the players. Surely you aren't saying that the view of the other end of the pitch from the West is as good as the view from around the half way line on the Pop? JB is right on this, the distance from the singers to the pitch plays its part and the distance is a lot further away now than it was. Ask all the people who sit on the half way in the North Stand and ask them if the West Stand sounds noisy. A lot say it doesn't, so imagine what it sounds like to the players.

At KR we could have banter from the Pop with the away end as the acoustics were better and the noise travelled better and clearer. At both derby games last season we thought the Wigan and wire fans were non existent and they thought the same about us, yet both ends were probably noisy and full of songs. But they don't travel, that is the main issue. Fans can make noise but if th acoustics are crap it's like singing in a phone box. It sounds great in there but nobody else can hear you

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Right, you've gone too far now, you've made me come on here and defend and agree with Jamie's Boots. I hope you feel proud of yourself!

My work is done haha
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

In The South Stand

"saints crusaders post 883" must be one of the nastiest i have ever read on here and going of his reaction above i will make him happy saying so.

Starting A Programme Collection grahamk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    "saints crusaders post 883" must be one of the nastiest i have ever read on here and going of his reaction above i will make him happy saying so.
    Totally agree Jed, this post is typical of someone who has nothing constructive or positive to say about any of the current issues being debated on this site. Presume all of us over the age of 55 are now suitably packaged and labelled as post#883. We of this age group are probably those who have financed this club for many years with our addmitance or season ticket money, supported like you and I for over 40+ years thru thick and thin. Obviously we should now shuffle off this mortal coil to make room for the "big game watchers" who turn up 3 times a year. Get a life?? I have enough trouble fitting in everything I have to do in this one!!
    Best reaction to #883 is probably " I DON'T BELIEVE IT" !!!

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Brilliant! I would counter and say that those fans who have no issues with the club or the game are simply not paying attention or simply do not care. Better to be someone who complains than someone who accepts mediocrity just because they have a tribal attachment to those who are providing said mediocrity. If your utility company mis sold you something, or your local council were crap would you just say 'ah well, no point complaining'? No, you'd change provider or vote for someone else. Just because its your club and your sport it's absolutely fine to accept it? The RFL and St Helens RFC get away with it simply because the majority accept it out of loyalty.

And I'm deducting points from your scorecard for using Meldrew. He was brilliantly scripted as a man who wanted the World to be better, who wanted people to be better, but it wasn't and they weren't so he rallied against it. People who term him as nothing but a moaner again weren't paying attention. So at least your consistent!
    Hear bl**dy hear!

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    That's a stupid comparison. We knew exactly what we were getting at Knowsley Rd. It was never purported to be the "best purpose built rugby stadium of either code".

This is the poorest team we have had for some time, possibly since SL was formed, so we have seen some magnificent teams there.
    Agree, #889 yet another negative post with idiotic comparisons. Plenty of on street parking at KR RIP, none @ LP. Many years of no atmosphere - garbage.
    Poor player recruitment- what? since the club commenced at KR - tripe.
    Yes, not many facilities but who had except a favoured few?

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

In The South Stand

Well done graham i am glad someone else saw it, he really isn,t worth discussing further though,GED.

I'm quite happy with my place in the North Stand. It's nice and dry a great view of the match just like being on the old pop side at KR. All I want is a bit of (C) to help keep the concourse dry etc. Half of the old pop side is in the North stand with the remainder being behind the sticks. At the end of the day we all had a choice of where to sit or stand. I always stood on the pop side but now like sitting in the North stand. Perhaps all you fans behind the sticks could get a none registered seat in the North and then we can all be together.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    Agree, #889 yet another negative post with idiotic comparisons. Plenty of on street parking at KR RIP, none @ LP. Many years of no atmosphere - garbage.
    Poor player recruitment- what? since the club commenced at KR - tripe.
    Yes, not many facilities but who had except a favoured few?
    Plenty of on street parking.....as opposed to plenty of parking in the town centre with a short walk to LP....you're telling me every year at KR we had great player recruitment ??? What utter bollocks...yes we had many great players and legends but we also had lots of duffers playing for Saints.
    Your memory must be fading with age because I spent many a game at KR where you could hear a pin drop for 90% of the game because people were bored with what they were watching...particularly under the Potter years.

The problem is, you're comparing ONE YEAR at LP up against 120 years at KR

In The West Stand

Why not try to look at it this way. None of us were at KR from the start, but we were there at the end. Yes it had a great atmosphere for the big games, but so did LP last season. It also had cr@p atmospheres for a lot of "run of the mill games", just like LP last season. Try to look at KR in the bigger picture, it was once a great stadium, but that was a long time ago, and it had run its course, it was getting worse by the season. For me, LP will get better by the season, yes it still has issues, but the club are aware of them and will address them in time. There is no doubting the fact that it would have been great to walk into an all singing all dancing stadium from day one, but it did'nt happen. As for the atmosphere issue. That has nothing to do with the stadium, but more the people in it, and yes I include the players in that, as they need to give us something to cheer.

Can we scrap the 'player recruitment' argument as it has nothing to do with the stadium. Our recruitment policy has been poor since 2006. We signed Pryce that year and he is arguably the last player we have signed who has had any kind of X factor. Whatever reason for this is debatable, it could simply be that our coaches since Millward didn't want flair players or it could be that EM wanted to sign players on the cheap and so we missed out on our top targets. I don't think Hohaia was that cheap though so I'm dubious that money was the overriding factor.

In terms of the stupid debate going on about KR v LP, well yes we cannot compare the two. Anybody trying to defend LP because it is 'no worse' than KR is crackers. LP shouldn't need to still be finished. The point of a £25m stadium that is built from scratch is that when you open the doors and let people into it you should know its finished. Especially when some of the people walking into it have handed over £1000 and given a 5 year commitment.

Is it better than KR? Well in a lot of regards it obviously is, but how could it not be? The bars and cafe are an improvement, the location is an improvement, the corporate facilities are better, the toilets are better, it is more family friendly, there are more seats, the stadium is used more often and is a better community hub, etc, etc.

But that is all well and good if you ignore the small fact of the fellas running around on the grass in the centre of the ground. That is the reason people go, and their enjoyment of watching the fellas run around is not as good as a £25m stadium should be. The atmosphere is crap, the conditions are average, the ground lacks character, it is stuck on the side of a Tesco which makes it look cheap and tacky, the main protagonists atmosphere wise have been pushed off way behind the sticks, it all just feels diluted and a let down.

But, as a building and a work of architecture it is better than KR, obviously, but as a place to watch a game of RL it is arguably worse. And despite all the bars, cafes, corporate stuff, crèches, etc, etc, people come to see the game. That is the thing the club needed to sort out before everything else, making the match day experience brilliant from start to finish. It seems like they worked very hard on getting all the bits around the game to be good but didn't really care about the actual game and the atmosphere and character of the place when the ground is full.

Can we scrap the 'player recruitment' argument as it has nothing to do with the stadium. Our recruitment policy has been poor since 2006. We signed Pryce that year and he is arguably the last player we have signed who has had any kind of X factor.
    Sorry to post this, but I feel compelled to do so...I'd say Soliola and Puletua were our last two x-factor players...

As you were

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Sorry to post this, but I feel compelled to do so...I'd say Soliola and Puletua were our last two x-factor players...

As you were
    Matt Gidley before those two and after Pryce signed.

anyway with derailing the thread Grays remarks other than this are spot on. A £25 million stadium should be virtually finished from the day it opened and not requiring significant structural changes.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Matt Gidley before those two and after Pryce signed.

anyway with derailing the thread Grays remarks other than this are spot on. A £25 million stadium should be virtually finished from the day it opened and not requiring significant structural changes.
    How did I derail it? I was making the point that player transactions had nothing to do with the stadium debate because others brought it up!

In The South Stand

How did I derail it? I was making the point that player transactions had nothing to do with the stadium debate because others brought it up!
    You haven't derailed it at all. The thread simply started mentioning our signings with the x factor and perhaps started to go off topic by me mentioning Matt Gidley!

Like yourself, I would consider that the player signings and recruitment are an irrelevancy to the incompleted stadium situation which we have.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    A £25 million stadium should be virtually finished from the day it opened and not requiring significant structural changes.
    No you see the problem is peoples perception of what was finished and what was how it was supposed to be.

Eamonn always talked about the "Halo" , the plans showed no cladding, but an artists 3d representation did.

That is the reason people are confused and also the reason it will take time to sort out.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    No you see the problem is peoples perception of what was finished and what was how it was supposed to be.

Eamonn always talked about the "Halo" , the plans showed no cladding, but an artists 3d representation did.

That is the reason people are confused and also the reason it will take time to sort out.
    But the artists representation was what Saints (with mr. Teflons approval) used to sell tickets. The majority of fans would have taken that as being a truthful representation of what was going to being built.

Learning All The Songs

Please see artists impression of Wigan's new stadium, buy your tickets now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post

If your trying to infer that the stadium was delivered to spec and that Mr McManus is a victim of false expectations then that is simply a smokescreen here for the fact that the stadium is certainly not 'world class.' Lets be claear - rhere is no wriggle room here. If anything, I'd say that it was a greater 'sin' to accept and approve a 'halo' design as meeting the needs of the club as against the issues that are currently outstanding.

Sometimes I feel that people cannot reconcile the fact that the club can balls up with their own conscience. There seems to be a wilfull denial that the club under performs is key areas and I do not believe it is beneficial to things ever getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Sometimes I feel that people cannot reconcile the fact that the club can balls up with their own conscience. There seems to be a wilfull denial that the club under performs is key areas and I do not believe it is beneficial to things ever getting better.
    I've not given my view on whether the club got what they wanted or not, but I am telling you why I think people are confused. I know, I am.