Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162232 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 10

Quote Originally Posted by RobyGerrard View Post
    They know there's a problem. Announcements were made before the game about being careful on the wet concourses which I've never heard before.
    I fear that it's going to take someone falling and breaking a hip or something & then a big hooha in the Star before anything is done.
    Someone mentioned it's colder inside than out & I've noticed this several times.
    It's a great stadium for a warm, calm summer evening
    I said last night when we came out of the stadium (North Block) that it felt warmer outside than in. There was no wind in the shelter of the outside stadium wall. The wind does make a tunneling effect through the North Stand.

I've found the perfect solution Eamon.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Even at the DW you get the first 10 rows wet with swirling wind/rain but from my absolutely soaked area in north stand A it was clear to see the east,west and north stands were soaked and north concourse very slippery,I fear a large amount of fans will not renew next season based on this,not me but some and yes it is colder inside the stadium than out.

Got A Season Ticket slippery steve's Avatar

I do think the club should issue some clarification on the cladding issue.

If we can't fit cladding to the external boundaries of the site, for cost or structural reasons, could we fill in the West / North corner, to basically wrap it round, that would provide some more protection than we have at present and would also give us the benefit of increased capacity?

Alternatively could we not fit louvre panels on the back of the West / North and East stands, that would provide some protection at a much lower cost to the club than the external boundary cladding and give an enclosed feeling? Only a thought...

Bottom line is something needs doing.

In The South Stand

Believe me "ron saint wiginn" it took a long time for me to decide to stay away if there had been the slightest let up in the rain i would have gone, i think, but i thoght about how i struggle to get up from my seat at the end of the match and then walk stiff legged to my car and then it is about a couple of hours before i am beginning to warm up. I got for the first time ever a seat at Langtree park bought one in C Block North stand because i wanted to be somewhere near the position i was in on the Pop side for roughly the past 40 years and boasted to people about having the best rugby league stadium in the country, now i feel that someone on the executive side of things should stand up be counted come out and say sorry we got it wrong and we are taking such and such steps to correct it and we will be starting immediatly if not sooner. For a state of the art stadium in these days to be coming in for so much justified critisism and nobody to say anthing is worse than ridiculous. Just a though on the situation, "question, Does the club possibly have a case against people concerned with build ie designers, architects, and maybe others perhaps under the " not fit for purpose ruling " i aint no expert but it seems to me someone must take the blame. Anyway Ron as you say you and i have served our time and will no doubt go on doing so i know all about the difference between being able to go and have a talk, grumble about these things with your mates as StHelensers can and living in an environment where that is not possible, that is why we have been such good supporters for so long. I will no doubt be in my seat for the next home game and also for the exiles game BUT i do think that the club should stop insulting us and DO something to make Langtree Park into a decent stadium ,COYS, cheere Ron.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Believe me "ron saint wiginn" it took a long time for me to decide to stay away if there had been the slightest let up in the rain i would have gone, i think, but i thoght about how i struggle to get up from my seat at the end of the match and then walk stiff legged to my car and then it is about a couple of hours before i am beginning to warm up. I got for the first time ever a seat at Langtree park bought one in C Block North stand because i wanted to be somewhere near the position i was in on the Pop side for roughly the past 40 years and boasted to people about having the best rugby league stadium in the country, now i feel that someone on the executive side of things should stand up be counted come out and say sorry we got it wrong and we are taking such and such steps to correct it and we will be starting immediatly if not sooner. For a state of the art stadium in these days to be coming in for so much justified critisism and nobody to say anthing is worse than ridiculous. Just a though on the situation, "question, Does the club possibly have a case against people concerned with build ie designers, architects, and maybe others perhaps under the " not fit for purpose ruling " i aint no expert but it seems to me someone must take the blame. Anyway Ron as you say you and i have served our time and will no doubt go on doing so i know all about the difference between being able to go and have a talk, grumble about these things with your mates as StHelensers can and living in an environment where that is not possible, that is why we have been such good supporters for so long. I will no doubt be in my seat for the next home game and also for the exiles game BUT i do think that the club should stop insulting us and DO something to make Langtree Park into a decent stadium ,COYS, cheere Ron.
    Thanks Old Un I totally agree with everything you say and last night in the north stand you would not have enjoyed it,but I hope to see you at our next home game,I am in block E on the half way line,good health to you Old Un.COYS

Got A Season Ticket

we should all just send complaints into saints and see if anything gets done then :')

Got A Season Ticket

Having been unfortunate enough to have a season ticket high up in the North Stand and sitting in a fierce cold wind, with added raindrops for effect, was bad enough but waiting twenty five minutes for a hot chocolate at half time (for warming up purposes) really takes the proverbial.
    The reason for the wait wasn't the queue but the fact that 3 lads in front wanted hot dogs. The server took their order then waited a whole nine minutes for them to cook. She didn't serve anyone else she just waited. For nine whole minutes. She didn't ask them to stand to one side while she served others she just stood there for the whole nine minutes.
    You'd think that the club would cotton on to the fact that sitting for forty minutes in wind and rain may cause an increase in people wanting to buy warming drinks.
    After missing the first ten minutes of the second half I'll be taking a flask next time.
    After copy and pasting this from the Saints website
    AT the Saints we pride ourselves on being totally customer focused - if you have any enquiries, you can contact us below and we will reply as soon as possible.
    I've taken them at their word. I won't be holding my breath though...............................

Quote Originally Posted by ma barker View Post
    Having been unfortunate enough to have a season ticket high up in the North Stand and sitting in a fierce cold wind, with added raindrops for effect, was bad enough but waiting twenty five minutes for a hot chocolate at half time (for warming up purposes) really takes the proverbial.
    The reason for the wait wasn't the queue but the fact that 3 lads in front wanted hot dogs. The server took their order then waited a whole nine minutes for them to cook. She didn't serve anyone else she just waited. For nine whole minutes. She didn't ask them to stand to one side while she served others she just stood there for the whole nine minutes.
    You'd think that the club would cotton on to the fact that sitting for forty minutes in wind and rain may cause an increase in people wanting to buy warming drinks.
    After missing the first ten minutes of the second half I'll be taking a flask next time.
    After copy and pasting this from the Saints website
    AT the Saints we pride ourselves on being totally customer focused - if you have any enquiries, you can contact us below and we will reply as soon as possible.
    I've taken them at their word. I won't be holding my breath though...............................
    Sorry but I would have said something. I agree that it's wrong but if you kept quiet for 9 mins and patiently waited then you kind of brought it on yourself. No offence intended

I don't like to criticise the club, but this is a big issue in which clarity is needed. Eamonn has done wonders for the club off the pitch and has secured our long term future, which we should all be grateful for. But, he was very keen to bleat about how outstanding our stadium is, but there is a deadly silence from the club when any legitimate concerns are raised. The open concourses and lack of backs on the stands are big problems and design faults. If they can't be fixed due to logisitics and finances, I wish the club would at least have the courtesy to inform their paying fans. It's not ideal if the problem can't be fixed, or won't be, but the lack of transparency adds to the fans rightful greivances.

This thread is proof the nanny state has won.

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Does the club possibly have a case against people concerned with build ie designers, architects, and maybe others perhaps under the " not fit for purpose ruling "
    It's a rugby stadium. It's fit for purpose.

It's people's expectations that have been dashed, not the stadium.

Banned

Here here we have a brand new stadium better than Wire Widnes and possibly JJB and all you get is shit about cladding it aint happening so yearn for Knowsley family stadium road or Odslum

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    It's a rugby stadium. It's fit for purpose.

It's people's expectations that have been dashed, not the stadium.
    All the artists impressions I saw, showed a fully clad stadium. There was nothing to suggest it wouldn't be at any point, especially when selling season tickets. I don't think it was too much to expect the finished product to be as was promised

In The South Stand

I do not remember being freezing cold "inside" Widnes and i do not remember getting wet "inside Widnes and i think in this day and age a brand new stadium that surely should be able to keep it,s customers, "dry and not freezing cold provides reason to think that it may not be fit for purpose but you are obviously experts and so i will bow to your expertise, and now everone know more moaning about being cold and wet,put up with it.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tricia View Post
    Here here we have a brand new stadium better than Wire Widnes and possibly JJB and all you get is shit about cladding it aint happening so yearn for Knowsley family stadium road or Odslum
    I regret to say it's worse than all 3 you mention.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Exactly.

Learning All The Songs

Depends how you define better. If you can name a brand new £30 million stadium that lets the elements in the same way that LP does I would be interested to here. You are dreaming if you think its better than the DW (others up for discussion). It may be better from a corporate point of view, I have no idea, but not for your average fan. I genuinly want ours to be the best - but at the moment it isn't. Like you can't stand all the "shit about cladding" I can't stand the blinkered party line being trotted out. Reality is we are fortunate to have a new stadium BUT it is a major design cock-up. There have also been several comments from the Bradford fans re their experience - hopefully it wont be the same conditions for the Exiles game or there will be a few more.

In The South Stand

Bradford fans complaining about our ground.

You couldn't make it up!

Learning All The Songs

tbf the comments I have seen/heard were quite balanced - they go there expecting a good soaking.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ski View Post
    Nothing of the sort.

For many a year since the early eighties I never got soaked once during a game when stood under the popular side at Knowsley Road
    and I have been to a fair number of games in the most appaling weather including the game against Warrington when the game was abandoned
    as a result of part of the roof landing on the pitch.

The whole point of a new stadium was primarily to improve facilties for supporters.
    Rather than standing on the terraces in all elements in or near the Boys Pen which many supporters did you faced whatever the weather.

To encounter the same at a full roofed new stadium isn't acceptable. Aesthetically and achitecturally the stadium might look fantastic, in poor weather practically its another matter entirely.

The club confirmed that it was looking to change the design and add cladding back in October http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/9...design_change/

obviously realising back then before a ball had been kicked or passed there were going to be issues then when the build hadn't been finished.

Sadly whats even poorer is the level of communication from the club about the work which still looks no nearer to starting and rectifying the problems given the previous statements made.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    tbf the comments I have seen/heard were quite balanced - they go there expecting a good soaking.
    Which in all fairness you dont expect at a new stadium.But even if the ground was fully cladded,there was a very strong wind blowing straight in their faces,coupled with driving rain they were bound to get wet!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Perhaps I have selective memories from being a kid, but where summers ever this bad? They are going worse every year
    Yes. They were usually worse. Photographs of me on holidays in Blackpool or Wales will confirm that.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ski View Post
    It's proof that people won't be fobbed off with any old crap like the club expected us to be.

It's proof that you are a pussy who settles for anything he's given without question.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

But it isn't better than Wire, Widnes or the JJB. It's bigger than the first two, but it's not better. And it's not better because the design was a total balls up.