Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Wellens do a job in the centres?

Wello doesnt offer much at FB anymore but he is passionate and worth having on the pitch, lafranchi is not a prop lance is not a HB Shenton isn't looking to be a centre and Lomax is debatable, that's more at what I was getting at oh and perry is looking like he's not a rugby player
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    makes me laugh when people slam wellos lack of pace. whats a yard of pace really worth if you're thinking yards quicker than anyone else. he always puts himself in the right place, always. he broke off a meli pass on saturday and not one of our lot had the awareness or speed to support him. that says more about the team than him IMO.
    wheeler to 6, wello to left centre and ho-why-ho to fullback?
    just may be crazy enough to work.
    whats rush got to lose? hes only standing in. tinker away
    Wellens has made quite a few clean breaks this season, but not had the pace to finish them off. What is sad is that the players who did have the pace to finish tge move off were nowhere near him. Albert or Sullivan would have been sat on his shoulder waiting for the offload. Wellens is one of the few players we have this year who has made clean breaks, it's tge lack of vision or effort from the other players tat should be criticised, not his lack of pace.

In The South Stand

You are right rhere KEL i wish there had been another 5or 6 like him on Saturday if he makes a break and runs 4o yds ish he should have at least one player backing him up to pass to, and he would have passed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    Wellens has made quite a few clean breaks this season, but not had the pace to finish them off. What is sad is that the players who did have the pace to finish tge move off were nowhere near him. Albert or Sullivan would have been sat on his shoulder waiting for the offload. Wellens is one of the few players we have this year who has made clean breaks, it's tge lack of vision or effort from the other players tat should be criticised, not his lack of pace.
    exactly! lance hohaia brings little to the team from a creative POV. the least he could do is be backing up breaks in those situations
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Wello could do a job, and probably wouldn't let you down in a number of positions.

Do you want him playing in any other position other than full back on a regular basis, though?

Absolutely not.

One of the issues is that other than Wello, who else is suitable captain material? Roby? I would suggest he's too quiet. Wilkin? Possibly but I would have Wello over Wilkin.

So given the need to have the captain on the field, I think you could do a lot worse than switch Lomax and Wellens around for the remainder of the season. Wello played most of his junior rugby at scrum half, his lack of pace would not be such an issue in that position, he has a fantastic footballing brain and will know how to move the team around the field. Most importantly, as captain he would be in the middle of the action which is where a captain needs to be.

I would then have Gaskell alongside Wello for the kicking game, Lomax as FB where his pace and size would be better used coming into the line. And Hohaia would be water carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by foozler View Post
    One of the issues is that other than Wello, who else is suitable captain material? Roby? I would suggest he's too quiet. Wilkin? Possibly but I would have Wello over Wilkin.

So given the need to have the captain on the field, I think you could do a lot worse than switch Lomax and Wellens around for the remainder of the season. Wello played most of his junior rugby at scrum half, his lack of pace would not be such an issue in that position, he has a fantastic footballing brain and will know how to move the team around the field. Most importantly, as captain he would be in the middle of the action which is where a captain needs to be.

I would then have Gaskell alongside Wello for the kicking game, Lomax as FB where his pace and size would be better used coming into the line. And Hohaia would be water carrier.
    I see the logic in what you say re: Wello to first receiver, but is it worth going with this (which will be risky IMO) when we have vital games coming up against Leeds, Wigan, Hull and Bradford?

In The South Stand

Lets do something revolutionary, "drop ho i ho" .

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I see the logic in what you say re: Wello to first receiver, but is it worth going with this (which will be risky IMO) when we have vital games coming up against Leeds, Wigan, Hull and Bradford?
    Given that the club doesn't seem to know what the right half back combination is, Wello is captain so needs to play, but we can all see that Lomax is not really a scrum half and would probably be better employed in the outside backs, then I'm not sure it's any riskier a proposition than what we have seen to date.

The senior players, and I mean Wello, Wilkin and Roby need to be working as more of a unit on the field and the only way is to get Wello moved up towards the action. I would at least give it a go in a training session.

In The South Stand

Why promote Wellens to the halves when there are players in the academy who would be better than him? Swift, Gaskell etc.

Starting A Programme Collection

Wellens could be moved to loose forward where is tackling ability would stem the tide of oppsition breaks throught the middle. Makinson could go to full back - he has performed well this year and his pace is ideally suited the role of attacking full back. We have other wingers who can take his place.

For me Wellens should either be playing FB or not be in the team at all.

I don't see why he needs to be moved: people are saying that Lomax isn't a 7, but who says he will do any better at FB? is he good under the bomb etc? Moving Lomax to 1 just creates even more problems, i.e in the halves: who replaces him? I just don't see the justifications of switching Lomax.

People are pointing to Wellens and Lomax being the problem, but I think the problem lies (mostly) with Hohaia who isn't giving Lomax the support he needs. Look to last season when Gaskell was Lomax's HB partner and it was working fine (incl. Wellens); the only variable that I can see now is Hohaia's name on the team sheet, so why don't we go back to what was working in the last half of last season:

1. Wellens
    6. Gaskell
    7. Lomax

I'd play Hohaia from the bench (actually utilise him though!) as an interchange hooker and when he is on I'd move Roby to 13. This will broaden our offensive options and give us that plan B. I can see the justifications of such a move as it brings Gaskell back into the team (type of player we need to have in the 13), solves Hohaia being ineffective at 6 and keeps Wellens in the team where he has played well recently.

It will be interesting to see where Lomax and Hohaia (if still here) will play under Brown.

For me Wellens should either be playing FB or not be in the team at all.

I don't see why he needs to be moved: people are saying that Lomax isn't a 7, but who says he will do any better at FB? is he good under the bomb etc? Moving Lomax to 1 just creates even more problems, i.e in the halves: who replaces him? I just don't see the justifications of switching Lomax.

People are pointing to Wellens and Lomax being the problem, but I think the problem lies (mostly) with Hohaia who isn't giving Lomax the support he needs. Look to last season when Gaskell was Lomax's HB partner and it was working fine (incl. Wellens); the only variable that I can see now is Hohaia's name on the team sheet, so why don't we go back to what was working in the last half of last season:

1. Wellens
    6. Gaskell
    7. Lomax

I'd play Hohaia from the bench (actually utilise him though!) as an interchange hooker and when he is on I'd move Roby to 13. This will broaden our offensive options and give us that plan B. I can see the justifications of such a move as it brings Gaskell back into the team (type of player we need to have in the 13), solves Hohaia being ineffective at 6 and keeps Wellens in the team where he has played well recently.

It will be interesting to see where Lomax and Hohaia (if still here) will play under Brown.
    I agree with the vast majority of this post.
    So far in this thread there has been suggestions of Wellens playing centre, scrum half and loose forward (as well as 2nd row on another thread) and IMO its all rubbish. He is a full back, end of story and that is the position he has played for at least 95% of his St. Helens career. At the moment there is no one proven better than him in that position and he is currently one of our best performers.
    Someone has said Lomax is clearly not a scrum half. Well I disagree and so does our current coach, previous coach and national coach. He has had his ups and downs this season but for me he has to stay at 7 for the time being.
    Hohaia is the one that is seriously lacking in form and it might be worth giving Gaskell or Wheeler a run at 6. My personal view is we let Wheeler have a go there and see if he can put 5 games together in that position.
    In reality I cant see Hohaia being dropped and in all likelihood we will have the same 6and7 combination for the majority of the season.

The bit I am not too sure about from the post above is moving Roby to 13 if Hohaia is moved off the bench. Roby has no issues in playing 80 minutes and is one of the best hookers in the world so for me he plays hooker for 80 minutes.

Got A Season Ticket Injury Crisis 2010's Avatar

I have mentioned this on a previous thread but I would like to see the team that beat Leeds at LP. There didn't seem much wrong then, lets see how they cope at Headingley. Unfortunately we will be without TP who had an excellent game that day, at least we would have something to compare.

In The South Stand

Drop ho i ho and put Wheeler in at stand off and leave him there.

Quote Originally Posted by hazzo21 View Post
    The bit I am not too sure about from the post above is moving Roby to 13 if Hohaia is moved off the bench. Roby has no issues in playing 80 minutes and is one of the best hookers in the world so for me he plays hooker for 80 minutes.
    I know, but I am trying to accommodate a player who can contribute to the team. I feel Hohaia could be useful for Saints (now that he's here) and it's finding him a position to get the best out of him as currently him at #6 is certainly not getting the best out of him!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Drop ho i ho and put Wheeler in at stand off and leave him there.
    Agree with this, as long as Wheeler can stay fit....and thats the problem!

I know, but I am trying to accommodate a player who can contribute to the team. I feel Hohaia could be useful for Saints (now that he's here) and it's finding him a position to get the best out of him as currently him at #6 is certainly not getting the best out of him!
    I know what you are getting at and I believe that he will play somewhere in the team (regardless of whether I think he should or not). The most obvious choice would be as a replacement hooker as there is no need to 'spell' a full back but I am just not convinced that moving Roby from hooker is what we should be doing.

Learning All The Songs

leave wellans where he is when we blew away leeds and wire he was outstanding coming in the line and solid in defence since the good friday defeat to wigan we slipped back and are below par since this is when you need players in key positions to stop the rot and build momentum .

Because the team isnt playing well suggestions are being put forward to change things, but common sense says you change the areas we are poor at, full back is not an issue, likewise the hooking roll is perfect, its the key half back places and the light weight no punch forwards where we are having problems

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by cement city saint View Post
    Because the team isnt playing well suggestions are being put forward to change things, but common sense says you change the areas we are poor at, full back is not an issue, likewise the hooking roll is perfect, its the key half back places and the light weight no punch forwards where we are having problems
    More than half the team then !!!!!!!!

Wouldn`t disagree with you there we have too many average players in the team now its happened over a period of time, half the team is being generous