Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Wellens do a job in the centres?

Default Could Wellens do a job in the centres?

Maybe with Shenton on his outside, leaving Rush to try Howho at FB and Lomax Gaskell and wheeler to fight for 6 an 7 or Howho swapping with robes putting Lomax at FB with wheels and Gaskell in the halves. Thought please .....
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Noooobie

Sorry no! We need more pace in the three quarters...not less.....Wello has been a fantastic servant to the club, but I'm afraid if doesn't play fullback, he doesn't play!

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I do think that we should be trying to mix it up somewhat. But when you do that you risk losing the fans and the board and the players. If it works you a genius if not you are a rank amature. Tried and tested is the way most coaches go and tried and tested gives you the safe option but rarely a winning option.

Looks at Maguire at Wigan takes his best half back and throws him to FB and takes an aging halfback and puts him straight in to control the game.

In The South Stand

8 or 9 years ago possible. Wello, as much as I love him, shouldn't be at the club anymore. He isn't capable of performing at a level that provides a positive impact on the side. His continual selection at fullback is doing nothing but denying a young player the gametime they will need to replace Wello. The rumours are that he's getting a new one year contract for a final year at fullback. So he'll waltz off and leave us with our young players having had no experience at all.

He's got to go. This season is over for us now, so he should be dropped. His performances aren't good enough and his influence isn't really needed as the rest of our games are now meaningless.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    8 or 9 years ago possible. Wello, as much as I love him, shouldn't be at the club anymore. He isn't capable of performing at a level that provides a positive impact on the side. His continual selection at fullback is doing nothing but denying a young player the gametime they will need to replace Wello. The rumours are that he's getting a new one year contract for a final year at fullback. So he'll waltz off and leave us with our young players having had no experience at all.

He's got to go. This season is over for us now, so he should be dropped. His performances aren't good enough and his influence isn't really needed as the rest of our games are now meaningless.
    Really?

In The West Stand

If the season was over, then yes the coach could experiment, but it is far from over. I have been a critic of Wello's myself this season, but his performances lately warrant his place in the side. If the rumour you mention is correct, and he does in fact get a new 1year contract, that does not mean he will be an automatic pick. You must realise, the one thing that Nathan Brown likes is a quick FB, so signing a new contract will just ensure another 12 months wages for him.

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Really?
    One of our better players this season tbh.
    Nobody said life would be easy

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Really?
    Yes really. I just don't understand what the people who justify Wellens' selection in the side are watching. He hasn't made many errors with bombs this season after an uncharacteristic blip last seasons. But his defensive work is appalling. People don't notice it much simply because he isn't getting involved any more. In the next few games pay attention to where Wellens is when the tries go in. More often than not he is catching up with play just as the attacking is putting the ball down, often throwing himself into a frustrated paddy or flapping his arms at the referee. Look then at his attacking work. Watch Sam Tomkins and how he combines with Wigan's halves and injects himself into the line and how he's always there backing up the ball carrier. Watch Brett Hodgson as an example of a classic Australian 3rd pivot. Watch Greg Eden at Huddersfield. Those players are proper fullbacks, defensively sound and wonderful attacking players. Then compare their work to Wello's. He joins in with the attack in the same place in the line on every move and as Millward pointed out on the commentary at the weekend he takes up far too much ball. He struggles to keep up with play so much that he stumbles and falls into the line or receives the ball moving so slowly that his resulting pass leaves the centre flat footed. Wellens is the worst fullback in the league in terms of his attacking contribution and his defensive work is sliding away rapidly as well. His lack of pace also means we give away 10-15 metres from every single kick return he receives. Fullback in the modern game is one of the most vital attacking positions and we get nothing from Wello.

He's been a legendary figure for us, a truly inspirational player who I won't say a word against on a personal level. I love the man and all his done over the years. But sentimentality shouldn't keep him at the club when it didn't keep Sean Long or Lee Gilmour. The time to move Wellens on was 2 years ago, these last years of his career are doing nothing but ruining his legacy. He'll be remembered as a laughing stock by the fans of other clubs in SL if he keeps going for another year.

I can't believe I'm reading this! Wellens' best years are for sure behind him but he's been a standout performer in this team this year. BF may have waltzed round him last Saturday but he doesn't deserve this berating!
    We've been spoiled over the SL years, notwithstanding the recent lack of silverware and any dip in performance seems to be met with knee jerk get rid statements!
    I don't know the result from Mondays game but if Wellens puts one over the Rhinos there'll be calls on here to give him a 3 year extension!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

makes me laugh when people slam wellos lack of pace. whats a yard of pace really worth if you're thinking yards quicker than anyone else. he always puts himself in the right place, always. he broke off a meli pass on saturday and not one of our lot had the awareness or speed to support him. that says more about the team than him IMO.
    wheeler to 6, wello to left centre and ho-why-ho to fullback?
    just may be crazy enough to work.
    whats rush got to lose? hes only standing in. tinker away
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    If the season was over, then yes the coach could experiment, but it is far from over.
    In one sense you are right, there is half a season of fixtures to play. But with the squad we have, with Hohaia in the halves and Wellens at fullback we do not possess the quality to win Super League, especially from outside of the top 4 where we will finish. We also have to consider the lack of a permanent coach and clubs in this position with an interim coach often drop away as it's too easy to just write off the season and focus on the future under the new regime. The club has to be careful, it would impact on the good work done with ticket sales at the new ground if we started clocking off, but we're not good enough to finish any more than one or two positions higher than we are now.

In terms of trophies this season was over before it started due to the lack of quality in the side. If we lose on Monday we'll be 7th and probably 4 points off 6th with games against Wigan at Manchester and away to Hull to come. After that possible 6 or 8 points off 6th with 11 games to go. This squad isn't capable of winning away three weeks in a row in the playoffs.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading this! Wellens' best years are for sure behind him but he's been a standout performer in this team this year. BF may have waltzed round him last Saturday but he doesn't deserve this berating!
    We've been spoiled over the SL years, notwithstanding the recent lack of silverware and any dip in performance seems to be met with knee jerk get rid statements!
    I don't know the result from Mondays game but if Wellens puts one over the Rhinos there'll be calls on here to give him a 3 year extension!
    Don't get me wrong, I have never played the game, and don't try to be an expert. But for me, tries like the one BF scored at the weekend must be the most difficult to defend against as a FB. By the time Finch was approaching Wello, he was in the centre of the pitch, which just about gives Finch, who is attacking at full pelt, the whole width of the pitch to go at. If we are to be critical of anybody on that particular try, it should be Flanagan and Magennis, as neither of those got anywhere near putting a finger on him, and left a gap wide enough for 3 players to get through.
    This is not me being critical of what you wrote, just picking up on the point regards Finch's try.

Noooobie

We've been spoiled over the SL years, notwithstanding the recent lack of silverware and any dip in performance seems to be met with knee jerk get rid statementl
    Totally agree, wello a laughing stock.... i think not! He does not claim to be a speedster. In my opinion he is & has always been mr reliable, his postional play is excellent.
    We are all disappointed with our current state of play, but i do not feel the blame shud land on wellos shoulders. Also the frustrated paddy as saddened called it demonstrates his passion, which as a fan i want to see.

Saddened has an agenda against Wello and has posted some absolutely disgraceful comments on RL fans this year calling this legendary player ' an embarassment' . There is only one person that shoud be embarassed and its certainly not the clubs number 1.

Wello had a shaky start to the season but has been one of the form players since, man of the match awards and a good number of tries suggest he does actually make a valid contribution. The one thing Simmons, Rush and Cunningham have in common is that they all seem to agree that Wello is the best option available at the present time for the full back shirt.

Yes his days are numbered, he has never been the fastest ( other than in thought) but he still does a very good job. I dont see him playing at centre, loose forward or anywhere else for that matter. The day the club coach decides he is not the number one number one he should chuck the boots in the wheelie bin and walk off with his head held high.

This is not me being critical of what you wrote, just picking up on the point regards Finch's try.
    The BF try was about the only thing PW did wrong on Saturday considering the performance of the team on the whole. My point being the apparent slating that he's received owing to arguably his only error.
    Paul Newlove used to attract similar comments if he didn't break the line.. "he's passed his best", "what a waste of money" etc.. We've been spoiled, pure and simple.

In The West Stand

The BF try was about the only thing PW did wrong on Saturday considering the performance of the team on the whole. My point being the apparent slating that he's received owing to arguably his only error.
    Paul Newlove used to attract similar comments if he didn't break the line.. "he's passed his best", "what a waste of money" etc.. We've been spoiled, pure and simple.
    I would agree with all of that. But I still believe, if a player is running full pelt at a FB with all the width of the pitch at his disposal, then surely he will be favourite to score, rather than be stopped by the FB, especially as the said FB is not blessed with pace.

I would agree with all of that. But I still believe, if a player is running full pelt at a FB with all the width of the pitch at his disposal, then surely he will be favourite to score, rather than be stopped by the FB, especially as the said FB is not blessed with pace.
    ....More to the point if he is one on one then someone has missed a tackle or made a defensive mistake to allow the line break in the first place.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    ....More to the point if he is one on one then someone has missed a tackle or made a defensive mistake to allow the line break in the first place.
    That was exactly my point a few posts ago. Both Flanagan and Magennis never got anywhere near him, Flanagan took a dummy that was'nt even thrown, and Magennis was just too slow.

Starting A Programme Collection

Tell me this is a wind up ? or as Jon Mac used to say " YOU CANT BE SERIOUS " I take it your tierd and need some sleep

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Saddened has an agenda against Wello and has posted some absolutely disgraceful comments on RL fans this year calling this legendary player ' an embarassment' . There is only one person that shoud be embarassed and its certainly not the clubs number 1.

Wello had a shaky start to the season but has been one of the form players since, man of the match awards and a good number of tries suggest he does actually make a valid contribution. The one thing Simmons, Rush and Cunningham have in common is that they all seem to agree that Wello is the best option available at the present time for the full back shirt.

Yes his days are numbered, he has never been the fastest ( other than in thought) but he still does a very good job. I dont see him playing at centre, loose forward or anywhere else for that matter. The day the club coach decides he is not the number one number one he should chuck the boots in the wheelie bin and walk off with his head held high.
    I couldn't agree more!

In The South Stand

You lot need to take the blinkers off. Wellens is averaging 3 tackles per match this season and missing 20% of those. You don't see him doing anything 'wrong' because he's doing very little at all. All this talk of his positioning being great is wrong. It's okay, but he's never there in time any more. That's why you don't see him making mistakes.

It is no longer enough to be solid defensively. Fullback isn't the last line of defense like it used to be, fullback is a primarily attacking position. A good fullback returns the ball safely and quickly, get the side on the front foot and starting the set positively. He is then the third halfback and possibly the most important attacking player as he isn't easy to line up as he's not tied to a specific position in the line like the other positions are. Wellens is poor at all of these categories. But hey, because he doesn't drop many balls he must be fantastic eh?

Starting A Programme Collection Village Saint's Avatar

Maybe not Wello at centre (although he couldn't do a worst job than Shenton)
    But I definitely think Shenton should play on the wing, since day one I've thought he could do a decent job there and I think it's only a matter of time before a coach also thinks the same...either way he is not a centre!

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

Shenton played full back for Cas quite a few times, he was a winger though before adapting his game to play in the centre. I reckon Shenton should be given a go in the fullback position, what do we have to lose? be realistic, we aren't winning anything this year.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

I think Wello could offer something in the centre spot, he runs with grunt and he can tackle well so would do a good job and he's saints through and through and on the pitch his passion is useful. Shenton would be good on the wing he can do everything he's doing now and have good games, also you would get more out of him due to kick returns but both him and Wello on the same side would really tighten defence up. That then allows the option to blood a FB in (maybe NB's) choice to a) change things up this yr and b) have a look at someone there for next yr and beyond. IMO saints have good players playing bad due to being out of position.
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by 29wes28 View Post
    I think Wello could offer something in the centre spot, he runs with grunt and he can tackle well so would do a good job and he's saints through and through and on the pitch his passion is useful. Shenton would be good on the wing he can do everything he's doing now and have good games, also you would get more out of him due to kick returns but both him and Wello on the same side would really tighten defence up. That then allows the option to blood a FB in (maybe NB's) choice to a) change things up this yr and b) have a look at someone there for next yr and beyond. IMO saints have good players playing bad due to being out of position.
    Interesting....."good players playing bad due to being out of position......" solution.....play Wello at centre....am I missing something?
    Drop Shenton put Jones and Wheeler at centre....we've nothing to lose!