Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Royce

Banned

Default Thank you Royce

I have mixed feelings tonight, I did feel the time had come for Royce to go, but now hes gone I do feel sorry for the guy. It wasnt his fault he was hired, sadly it has proven a mistake to give him the job, despite his average track record as a coach.

This season hasnt gone at all well, but Royce did a great job at getting us to the grand final last season. Beating Wigan twice in the play offs was great and we went so close in the grand final. Royce has always been genuine and seemed a really nice bloke. My one memory that sticks out is the look on his face as he applauded us after the grand final, he looked gutted and you could tell Saints were in his heart.

So good luck Royce, I hope you can take some good memories back with you to Australia, and thank you for all your efforts at the club.

Starting A Programme Collection

Wasn't good enough and job was too much for him, but obvious to everyone he gave it 100 %. Very sad it's not worked out for him.The players have no excuses now.

Endorse that just hope it isnt a players wanting the coach sacked to allow a close friend to get the job. Good luck Royce Simmons least you tried

I wouldn;t go as far to say thank you. But he did do a great job considering the injuries last season. Just hasn't worked out this year. I just hope Eamonn has a good idea who his replacement is. And hoping this Jamie Lyon rumour isn't a rumour...

In The South Stand

Hope he can relax and get his health better,the stresses of being a coach must take their toll on a person whos health was suffering a bit.Good luck Royce and hope you have a good rest and recuperate.

Starting A Programme Collection saints123's Avatar

Yep, I mirror what everyone else is saying, Shame it didn't work out for you Royce, but the time was right for the club to move on. Hope you get yourself back to full strength and good luck in everything you do. No doubt you gave it 100%, thanks for your efforts !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey143 View Post
    I wouldn;t go as far to say thank you. But he did do a great job considering the injuries last season. Just hasn't worked out this year. I just hope Eamonn has a good idea who his replacement is. And hoping this Jamie Lyon rumour isn't a rumour...
    The least he deserves is a thank you. He had Saints at his heart and he tried his best. Unfortunately it didnt work out, but he still put his heart and soul into it.

No one likes to see anyone sacked, but he just wasn't up to it. I have not rated him one bit as a coach.

Never met him personally so don't know the man, but I will give him the benefit that he did genuinely put 100% into the job, so thank him for that and wish him good luck in the future.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Noooobie

Thank you Royce!

I just cant get my head around how people say he wasn't upto it! He took Saints last year to a Grand final that we should never have made, Wigan and Warrington were by far the better teams, yet he did the double over a very strong Wigan outfit in the playoffs. We had so many injuries and yet he still managed to get us to the Grand Final, and then even in the Grand Final we had three key injuries during the game which cost us heavily (Lomax, Wello and Shenton). Look at the youngsters he has brought into the team (Gaskell,Lomax,Makinson,Foster,Ashe). Who is going to replace him now? Daniel Anderson? Yes Anderson was a great coach here at saints but the team was totaly different then. Yes we have had a bad start to the season. Seriously think he gets too much stick for what he has done, i dont think many other coaches could have done what he did last season!

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Never sure of his appointment, but always came across as a genuine bloke. Perhaps more suited to the assistant role, no shame in that. Family and health issues during his tenure but never used them as an excuse. If he was to return to LP in the future he should be treated to an applause as few caoches would have got us to the grand final last year with the injury/ego issues he had to contend with.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Thanks for your efforts. Came across as a nice bloke, however Ultimately not the rights man for the job. Best of luck for the future

Banned

I spoke to Royce a couple of times - really decent bloke and you've got to feel sorry for him.
    We should have been Grand Final winners last year if Shenton had avoided injury and we didn't have Scott Moore missing tackles.

This year he has lost a World Class prop who was totally committed to us and gained a few old Antipodeans

Wello played well on Saturday but has had a poor season so far, and the team has had injuries

Even though we have older players in the side, there is no leadership on the field

I guess Royce will get a pay off and be off home with his loot

He'll get a job again in the NRL as assistant and be happy as a pig in......

Whoever takes the job is going to have to sort out half hearted players, ageing players and young kids who think they are great before they have done anything

Basic skills are needed.

There is a small window to recover the situation and I agree Royce had lost it, but who ever is appointed will have brave decisions to make or we will be back to 1976-1996....the 20 year hell....

good luck royce, thanks but it wasnt to be.

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Good Luck to Royce and Kieron you did your best but wasnt to be
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

To get us to a GF last time out considering we were (I'm my opinion) not anyone near as good as Wigan or Wire was not a bad effort to say the least. Just didn't work out this year. Good luck Royce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hobbies include rewiring microwave ovens and meeting firemen.

Nolite te B*stards Carborundorum

@AJ_1878

Learning All The Songs

mixed feelings myself,i had the pleasure of meeting him a good few times and beleive me you couldnt wish to meet a better bloke. before anyone says, yeah i know a good bloke does`nt always make a good coach.but i liked the guy, just not has a coach.so best of luck royce whatever you decide to do.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

All the best Royce.

Never met you but you seem a terrific person. Always put Saints' first.

Got A Season Ticket ChemicalBrother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phil265 View Post
    The least he deserves is a thank you. He had Saints at his heart and he tried his best. Unfortunately it didnt work out, but he still put his heart and soul into it.
    Yep.

Best wishes Royce.

Banned

Thank you Royce! are you joking, he wasnt doing it for nothing and for the love of the club. I dont know wether he is on par with 'Dark Days' as the worst coach ive ever seen to manage the club.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarava View Post
    Thank you Royce! are you joking, he wasnt doing it for nothing and for the love of the club. I dont know wether he is on par with 'Dark Days' as the worst coach ive ever seen to manage the club.
    Well if you take into account the issues he's dealt with whilst at the club and taking us to a GF despite those i'm pretty sure a Thank You isn't out of the question.

If I lost a parent and then suffered with health issues but still gave my job my best shot then i'd be ••••••ed off if I wasn't at least thanked for my effort despite falling short.

There's absolutely nothing to be gained in having that attitude towards him, he was brought into the club perhaps wrongly but he never lacked effort he was just maybe out of his depth but the people who signed him on should be held to task with that.

Please will people stop mentioning Anderson coming back. He won't be, end of, deal with it.

Got A Season Ticket Motherwell Saint's Avatar

Feel a bit bad for Royce. Yes perhaps he didn't utilise the squad to it's fullest potential, and the tactics weren't all that exciting to watch, but he did a remarkable job last year against the odds, and that shouldn't be overlooked. Thanks and good luck #roycetasticnomore

Learning All The Songs

No great loss, it was clear that the players did not want to play for him and his tactics were un-saints like. It's always a shame to see a coach get fired but the performances needed to dramatically improve. Simmons was clearly not the man to carry us forward.
    CSM Services for all your Fork-Lift Truck requirements.

Ring me, Peter or Jim on 01257 424548.lol

Pleased there is this thread.

He has always come across as a thoroughly nice bloke, and i want to say thank you for his efforts, and best wishes to him in the future, and Kieron Purtill too.

Quote Originally Posted by mister chuffy View Post
    No great loss, it was clear that the players did not want to play for him and his tactics were un-saints like. It's always a shame to see a coach get fired but the performances needed to dramatically improve. Simmons was clearly not the man to carry us forward.
    how do you know the players didn't want to play for him?? Are you Mystic Meg??