Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131929 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 8

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Can we start a new sticky 'Bottle shop watch' thread?

Seriously. I'm not familiar with it's location on the site.
    It's obviously protected from demolition.
    Is it going to cause problems for the club?
    Have a watch of these three videos to get an idea:

Video 3 in particular will answer your question.

Something needs to be done about the building, it is what it is - an eyesore. It either needs restoring or demolishing. I personally would like to see it somehow incorporated into the World of Glass and fully restored. But there's no way the club, the council, Langtree or Tesco should pay for it. Heritage went screaming about it when the plans were put in place for Tesco and the stadium, so they should go racing to their pockets. Saints do enough (everything) for this town as it is without paying for stuff like that as well.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Been under the new bridge today as the road is now open.It looks great and when finished it will be superb.

nlwsaint
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Do we know where the wall is that will have the legend tiles on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Somewhere in the North Stand. I think it will be in the concourse area. I've bought a tile for my Dad and i'm thinking it's not going to be situated on the outside wall as
    there would be the potential of it being damaged!
    I bought a tile for my Dad last week. I asked where the wall would be situated & was told that it is not inside the stadium but a wall outside so that anyone wanting to view the names would not have to wait for a match to be played to see them. Makes more sense as otherwise, for 3 months of the year, there would be no access at all.

At Widnes it is on the inside of the concourse in the North Stand. I presumed ours would be similar but it looks not to be.

In The South Stand

I would have thought that maybe the local clowns could rip them off but Warringtons are outside.

Got A Replica Shirt 100% referee!'s Avatar

has any one got any pics?

getting boring can we talk about the stadium after all it is called STADIUM WATCH

But on the subject i think that they should keep the bottle store where it is and try and refurb it but they should definitely not knock it down its st helens history one of the only pieces left

Want to referee? www.shrlrs.webs.com
    St Helens Rugby League Referees' Society THE BEST!

Starting A Programme Collection 100% Saint's Avatar

Pictures of what though? the stadium is finished, all that needs to be done is the fitting out and the rest of the cladding around the stadium. If this thread is still here come January for the new game, no doubt pictures will be flooding on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Do we know where the wall is that will have the legend tiles on?
    How about on the Old Bottle Shop

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Got A Season Ticket

After the historic first game announcement you would have to assume that the cladding work will be complete by Jan 20.

BBC RL homepage has article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist sketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/default.stm
    Last edited by Div; 9th November 2011 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    BBC RL homepage as article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist ssketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

agree

Starting A Programme Collection 100% Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    BBC RL homepage as article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist ssketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

Don't forget it is the BBC, they can't even spell things right on there half of the time.

when is the club badge going on the main stand?

Got A Season Ticket

I do think the Stands should be named after Saints great players & or Managers over the years, i hate North, East Stand ecc, too unimaginative & far too common.
    This is the last play, Long, kicks it wide to Iro, Iro to Hall, Hall is trapped, back it goes to Hoppe, over the shoulder to Hall, there is Jonkers, here is Long and Long fancies it, Long fancies it, it's wide to West, it's wide to West, Dwayne West, inside to Joynt, Joynt, JOYNT, JOYNT!, OH, OH!
    They've won it, they've won it, they've won it. Chris Joynt; Chris Joynt has won it. It is unbelievable here, it is, frankly, unbelievable. Chris Joynt has won the match for St Helens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Saint View Post
    I do think the Stands should be named after Saints great players & or Managers over the years, i hate North, East Stand ecc, too unimaginative & far too common.
    2 stands are sponsored and named by hattons solicitors

Quote Originally Posted by Denton Arnold View Post
    I know the West Stand is, but not seen any news about them sponsoring another????

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    There is either a lot of ignorance about how these things are funded or some people are purposely being a bit naughty about what they are saying.

If funding is found for this it is highly likely it will not come by local council money. Funding for this sort of thing usually comes by interested parties making bids for European money or Lottery money etc. This money is ring-fenced for this sort of thing and can't be spent on other projects such as bringing in bigger brand name shops.

If St Helens doesn't bid for and receive these funds then it will only go elsewhere, maybe to save some old water tower on the South Downs or an old railway station in Stuttgart.

What is missing here is an organised local body with the will to get to grips with the intricacies of this and get the bids in. It probably needs to be led by the land owners, along with people like the World of Glass and an existing local volunteer preservation group.

If you are really interested in how this sort of thing works then enquire into how the council along with the Friends of Victoria Park have just managed to succesfully bid for a substantial sum of money to refurbish the park.

I do find it quite shocking how St Helens has let so much of its early industrial archeaology disapear.

Sadfish and Buddy (and anyone else really) I'd be intersted to hear why you think this particular unique part of the glass process is not worth saving. Are there better examples elsewhere in the UK?
    I have read with interest some of the points made about the derelict Cannington Shaw bottle Kiln and I too find it sad that people just want to pull it down.
    Regardless of its current condition and what some posters have suggested, it won't ever be pulled down because of its status as a listed building and a scheduled ancient monument. If nothing is done with it it will fall down of its ow accord before it gets pulled down. Legally nobody can demolish it.

As taken from the Guidance on Ancient Scheduled Monuments by English Heritage:

"It is a criminal offence to destroy or damage a scheduled monument either intentionally or through recklessness. It is also a criminal offence to carry out or to permit others to carry out unauthorised works to a scheduled monument, i.e. works undertaken without Scheduled Monument or Class Consent. As noted above, where Scheduled Monument Consent has been granted subject to conditions, it is an offence to fail to comply with those conditions when implementing that consent.
    The use of metal detecting equipment on a scheduled site is illegal without the written consent of English Heritage, as is the removal of objects found by detection equipment.

Where a criminal offence is suspected, English Heritage may choose to investigate with a view to prosecution or to refer the matter to the police and to the Crown Prosecution Service. A conviction for any of these offences can lead to a fine and, in respect of intentional or reckless damage or destruction of a monument, a fine and/or imprisonment.

Yes it does look a mess and something does need to be done to improve it. The best option would be for a Heritage Lottery Grant in the same way that Taylor Park and more recently Victoria Park have been successfully granted Heritage Lottery Funding in working towards large restoration projects. Its a difficult and time consuming process getting the money. Both the Friends of Taylor Park and Victoria Park respectively campaigned for several years and I personally how hard know the Friends of Victoria Park worked with the Council in order to obtain the necessary funding.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Yes it does look a mess and something does need to be done to improve it. The best option would be for a Heritage Lottery Grant in the same way that Taylor Park and more recently Victoria Park have been successfully granted Heritage Lottery Funding in working towards large restoration projects. Its a difficult and time consuming process getting the money. Both the Friends of Taylor Park and Victoria Park respectively campaigned for several years and I personally how hard know the Friends of Victoria Park worked with the Council in order to obtain the necessary funding.
    So no money is forthcoming?

Is anyone actually putting bids in for money?

If not, and if there is no plans to put in bids, as you say it will fall down before it can be renovated, so at some point, there is a choice to be made.

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E Saint View Post
    I know the West Stand is, but not seen any news about them sponsoring another????
    yes they are sponsoring the west terrace and the nw corner family stand
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    They put a lot of money into Rugby League,not just Saints.Well done Hattons.

Got A Season Ticket

There are more pics of the stadium on the breaking and entering trespassers forum when they got in last month.

http://www.trespassers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65767&page=2

Yes, we already know about the trespassers and I see no need to promote their illegal activities. Also, technically, you are breaching RedVee rules too by posting a link to them. So lets not give them the time of day, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Denton Arnold View Post
    ONE stand: the West, incorporating the home fans terracing and the SW corner family seating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Of all the people on here, thought you'd be the best to know there's nowt in the NW corner!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    So no money is forthcoming?

Is anyone actually putting bids in for money?

If not, and if there is no plans to put in bids, as you say it will fall down before it can be renovated, so at some point, there is a choice to be made.
    Unlike the park successful bids there is no 'Friends of the Bottle Shop'. Possibly the reason for this is it's been hidden from view and you had to trespass to get near it. Maybe now that people can see it they will start asking questions. I would hope that a group could come together to work alongside the council and the WoG to put a together a bid. However, as a generalisation, I'd say the people of Saint Helens are not that bothered about this industrial heritage stuff so I'm not sure how it will go. Pity really, because once it's gone it's gone forever.

It's definitely an eye-sore as it stands.

I'd join a volunteer group who wish to develop this.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Yes, we already know about the trespassers and I see no need to promote their illegal activities. Also, technically, you are breaching RedVee rules too by posting a link to them. So lets not give them the time of day, eh?
    Apologies, didn't realise as no-one really mentioned anything last time someone posted something (or at least I didn't see it).

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Of all the people on here, thought you'd be the best to know there's nowt in the NW corner!

OOOPS of course i meant the SW !!!
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub