Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 345678910111727 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 8

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Let united glass pensions pay for it out of the shortfall's (not the word i want to use) in the company pension scheme .
    Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    I do believe its classed as a listed building so unless money is forthcoming from lottery grants etc it will have to stay an eyesore
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Starting A Programme Collection alf wayliner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by screwtinizer View Post
    If it is such an important historical artefact (as was made clear by the preservationist-botherers during the Stadium's consultation period) then they should pull their kecks up, get themselves their own funding and do summat with the flaming thing.
    Actually the landowners should really be living up to their responsibilities and dealing with an issue that they knew was there before they accepted ownership of the land. For the last 10 years they have done nothing with the building at all except allow to deteriorate further.

There is funding out there for projects such as this, but it is going to need a lot of private investment too and that's where it all falls down (no pun intended). It would be good if Tesco and Langtree got together and decided to do something positive with the thing as it really could be a wonderful building with lots of scope for community involvement.The World Of Glass probably won't want it to become a historical attraction as that would put it in direct competition for an already tight market!

That whole area of town is littered with sites of historical interest dating back to before the industrial revolution, it's just a pity that most of them have been destroyed in the name of progress or abandoned due to cost. The Sankey Canal is a classic case in point as the area round where the new bridge is was once the site of a southern spur of the canal that served Peasley Cross Colliery. There were numerous swing bridges and locks on the canal that were engineering wonders, unfortunatley most are now gone including the first set of stepped locks ever built.

What's your point I hear you say, well the Sankey Canal is really the first true canal of the industrial age (despite the Bridgewater's claims) and without it the town of St Helens would not have developed into the industrial centre that it did do and no doubt wouldn't have attracted the likes of Herr Herman and we wouldn't have a club at all in that case!

The bottle shop is the ony surviving building of it's type in the UK (probably the world) and it really would be a shame for the town to be guilty of allowing another piece of heritage to dissapear in a dust cloud.

I'm sure there'll be "modernists" out there who'll dismiss the whole idea of preserving a pile of old bricks as something abhorrent but once they've gone, you can't bring them back! Perhaps we should be asking a little more from Langtree and Tesco?
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

Learning All The Songs

Well said Alf, I agree. Surely The World of Glass should be putting in a bid to the lottery to at least secure the outside and weather proof it.

Got A Replica Shirt 100% referee!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    i did this tutorial for another forum i think it will help , photobucket looks a little different these days but the basics are the same

http://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/f...=1986&start=15
    What do I do??

Want to referee? www.shrlrs.webs.com
    St Helens Rugby League Referees' Society THE BEST!

Starting A Programme Collection 100% Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denton Arnold View Post
    What do I do??
    Goto Photobucket, register thats if you haven't already, upload pictures onto photobucket. Once you have done that select the picture you want to put on here, there should be 4 links to choose from, the best one to choose would be the img code or the direct link one.

HTH

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I've always said the bottle shop would make a cracking pub with a circular bar and just over the new bridge,can't see that happening now with Tesco car park being there,although it could be in Tesco's interest to buy it and convert it into some sort of cafe/bar,not that the Tesco company will need the money (of which would be a drop in the ocean to them) but It would remove an 'eyesore' which I'm sure they won't be happy about it being so close to the store.

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

I'm sure the heritage people wanted over 2.5 million to do stuff on it. It was posted on here early doors. If memory is correct they were against the tesco and ground unless they got the cash to do it up.
    Nobody said life would be easy

In The South Stand

Well said , i would reccomend everyone read and take in what he has said all the things that people talk about now that used to be there, for goodness sake StHelens was the "world Centre "of the glas making industry, a pile of rubble is just that but history governs the future you cannot talk to people about things that used to be the same has you can about the way things are. When it is gone it is gone but it is part of Sthelens history.Imagine if you can that bottle shop being put back to what it was and then people from afar coming to the new stadium and then asking," what is that", you may need to employ guides even.

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I've always said the bottle shop would make a cracking pub with a circular bar and just over the new bridge,can't see that happening now with Tesco car park being there,although it could be in Tesco's interest to buy it and convert it into some sort of cafe/bar,not that the Tesco company will need the money (of which would be a drop in the ocean to them) but It would remove an 'eyesore' which I'm sure they won't be happy about it being so close to the store.
    to be honest from the store you cant see it because of all the trees and plants in front of it , so I dont think Tescos will be too bothered, i do agree that we should try and take care of our heritage as there is little enough of it left due to the town centre clearance of the 70`s BUT in these economic times there are better things to spend our money on, the finance simply isnt there,and like i say I seriously doubt Tescos would be interested its covered and doesnt detract from the store
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

Starting A Programme Collection alf wayliner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wardies love child View Post
    I'm sure the heritage people wanted over 2.5 million to do stuff on it. It was posted on here early doors. If memory is correct they were against the tesco and ground unless they got the cash to do it up.
    English Heritage is an advisory body and has a statutory role in planning processes where structures such as listed buildngs are involved. It doesn't ask for the cash, it stipulates what should be done with the buildings in question.

The bottle shop was given protected status in the mid 1980s, everyone involved in the new stadium project has pretty much treated it as an elephant in the corner and, especially the landowners, chose to not do anything with it so far.

The responsibility for the bottle shop rests solely with Langtree as the owners at the moment. I'm not sure what the financial penalties are for allowing a scheduled ancient monument to fall into such a bad state that it either has to be demolished or falls down, but I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot less than the cost of making it secure. I'd wager that Langtree have a cost benefit analysis based on these scenarios somewhere!

I wonder how many of the 1,200 people who used to work at Cannington Shaw were Saints fans?

Oh and my suggestion for the new stadium name Cannington Oval
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

Learning All The Songs

hi guys, without going through loads of posts,when is the bridge expected to be finished,sorry if its been asked lately.

Quote Originally Posted by alf wayliner View Post
    English Heritage is an advisory body and has a statutory role in planning processes where structures such as listed buildngs are involved. It doesn't ask for the cash, it stipulates what should be done with the buildings in question.

The bottle shop was given protected status in the mid 1980s, everyone involved in the new stadium project has pretty much treated it as an elephant in the corner and, especially the landowners, chose to not do anything with it so far.

The responsibility for the bottle shop rests solely with Langtree as the owners at the moment. I'm not sure what the financial penalties are for allowing a scheduled ancient monument to fall into such a bad state that it either has to be demolished or falls down, but I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot less than the cost of making it secure. I'd wager that Langtree have a cost benefit analysis based on these scenarios somewhere!

I wonder how many of the 1,200 people who used to work at Cannington Shaw were Saints fans?

Oh and my suggestion for the new stadium name Cannington Oval
    Just pull it down, they pulled down Knowsley Road and that had FAR more sentiment in the town than this place.

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    hi guys, without going through loads of posts,when is the bridge expected to be finished,sorry if its been asked lately.
    I think its been said a couple of weeks , I havent heard a concrete finishing date but as you can se they are making good progress on it
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

Learning All The Songs

See season tickets still seem to be ticking over. Looks like block I in the South will almost certainly be sold out for Christmas (or maybe end of the Early Bird deadline). This would mean at least 6 of the 7 allocated seating blocks in the South would be sold out several weeks before the Season starts. Block C on the other end is slower to move but this still offers a great spec, and seats are starting to go. Hope it keeps going!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    Just pull it down, they pulled down Knowsley Road and that had FAR more sentiment in the town than this place.
    I agree, I paid my first visit to tesco at the weekend and it just looks a mess

Starting A Programme Collection

Theres a lot of activity at the bridge doing landscaping and also in the phase 2 area there is a lot activity with diggers and tippers.

Learning All The Songs

So you think there's no value in the town's industrial heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    http://www.worldofglass.com/ makes much more sense than a derelict building

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I agree, I paid my first visit to tesco at the weekend and it just looks a mess
    Of course it looks a mess. It's been neglected so that it looks a mess just so people like you will say "it looks a mess". Although it has to be balanced as standing next that building of architectural brilliance and great worth - Tesco.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    http://www.worldofglass.com/ makes much more sense than a derelict building
    The world of glass was a derelict building once.

So there is no need to repeat the process.

I am very proud of this towns hertiage and am fascinated by the industrial revolution, so be careful of pidgeon-holeing people you know nothing about. But I genuinly do not buy into the significance of this building

Learning All The Songs

Did I pigeon hole you?

I think you've answered your own question here.

My family are all from the Glass industry in the town and 1 specific family member was a pioneer in the town at the start of it all, but this means little to all that and money will just be wasted on it when there are far more pressing things to spend money on.

Pull it down.

Got A Replica Shirt 100% referee!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 100% Saint View Post
    Goto Photobucket, register thats if you haven't already, upload pictures onto photobucket. Once you have done that select the picture you want to put on here, there should be 4 links to choose from, the best one to choose would be the img code or the direct link one.

HTH
    Thanks mate!

Want to referee? www.shrlrs.webs.com
    St Helens Rugby League Referees' Society THE BEST!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Pull it down.
    Philistine!