Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20303637383940
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1000

Thread: Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I love Scholesy.He is the reason why England are where they are in World football.Retired far too early.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    And both walk away tail between legs!
    Although is he pretending to wind us up when shot down so well by our retorts?

This is the man who thought that the Super 14 comp in RU (as it was at the time) was so called because they had 14 players on each side! Thought it was a gimmick! :-)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I love Scholesy.He is the reason why England are where they are in World football..
    Bloody hell. I wouldn't pin that one on him!

Yes there was a bit of a wind up in there I have to say. In my book he'd be a great shout for the Player of the Year this year.

I would still say that a lot of fans outside this country would never have in him a list of greats though as he has never been particularly outstanding in an England shirt. I would say that the opinions of those players have certainly been based more upon his performances against them in a United shirt than an England one.

As Reacher said in a text though, whilst biting very hard, Messi hasn't done it in an Argentina shirt either.

As for the pretending to be on a wind up bit, well when Reacher is frothing at the mouth over something (i.e. the Young affair), tipping him overboard is quite easy. TSS never usually takes the bait. My mate Stu always does. I hadn't actually seen any responses until I was texted.

PS In said text Reacher confessed that I "had a point" about Ashley Young.

As for the Super 14. Hands up! Made a knob of myself there.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Bloody hell. I wouldn't pin that one on him!

Yes there was a bit of a wind up in there I have to say. In my book he'd be a great shout for the Player of the Year this year.

I would still say that a lot of fans outside this country would never have in him a list of greats though as he has never been particularly outstanding in an England shirt. I would say that the opinions of those players have certainly been based more upon his performances against them in a United shirt than an England one.

As Reacher said in a text though, whilst biting very hard, Messi hasn't done it in an Argentina shirt either.

As for the pretending to be on a wind up bit, well when Reacher is frothing at the mouth over something (i.e. the Young affair), tipping him overboard is quite easy. TSS never usually takes the bait. My mate Stu always does. I hadn't actually seen any responses until I was texted.

PS In said text Reacher confessed that I "had a point" about Ashley Young.

As for the Super 14. Hands up! Made a knob of myself there.
    I've lost count the amount of times i've written out a lengthy heat of the moment response only to think better of biting hard!

I went for this one, Scholeys always been my favourite player so a weakness was exposed!

As for Super 14's.......you learn something new everyday don't you!

(I thought it was less men and that's why it was a more free flowing kind of rugby with more space)

Ps- lad at work (Everton fan) is a fully qualified referee and has been getting some Championship games of late and doing very well for himself.

I asked him about Young and he agreed it was a penalty. Yes he made the most of it but it was a foul and if it was outside of the penalty area, it would have been a free kick.

That's not to say I condone his dive and the QPR one was a joke. So please can we put this one to bed now. It was a penalty and I am right :-)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Ps- lad at work (Everton fan) is a fully qualified referee and has been getting some Championship games of late and doing very well for himself.

I asked him about Young and he agreed it was a penalty. Yes he made the most of it but it was a foul and if it was outside of the penalty area, it would have been a free kick.

That's not to say I condone his dive and the QPR one was a joke. So please can we put this one to bed now. It was a penalty and I am right :-)
    One last word on this Stu. If it was a penalty or not is not the issue for me. Stuff like that goes on all over the field, and yes the free kick is given more often than not for stuff like that outside of the area. The issue for me is whether or not we allow football to become a sport (maybe it's too late already) where the attacking player can deliberately make contact with the defender in order to get the decision. For me it takes away the art of defending, gives the attacker far too much power and lends itself to the less honest players actually trying to win a decision rather than do what they are paid to do and what people pay to watch them do, which is take players on and try and score a goal. It is too easy now for players to not bother doing the difficult stuff when they can run into a defender, make sure their feet touch, etc, etc. it's got a stage now where players that actually go past the defender are criticised for not going down, which is surely the wrong way round.

Got A Season Ticket Back Row Singer's Avatar

it was a foul and if it was outside of the penalty area, it would have been a free kick.
    This is one of the worst things about football!

In RL, the refs are criticised and sometimes rightly so. But at least at the start of the game, the ref will set his stall out of what is/isn't a penalty, and the players know what they can and can't get away with. I understand sometimes the standard is poor, but my point is, it's poor for both teams.

In football, there have been many games where there has been two identical incidents in the same game, one is given and the other is waved away. Also they really need to get to grips with giving penalties for fouls that would be given outside the box. The ref should command the pitch and not be scared to give a penalty when it is a foul.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Back Row Singer View Post
    This is one of the worst things about football!

In RL, the refs are criticised and sometimes rightly so. But at least at the start of the game, the ref will set his stall out of what is/isn't a penalty, and the players know what they can and can't get away with. I understand sometimes the standard is poor, but my point is, it's poor for both teams.

In football, there have been many games where there has been two identical incidents in the same game, one is given and the other is waved away. Also they really need to get to grips with giving penalties for fouls that would be given outside the box. The ref should command the pitch and not be scared to give a penalty when it is a foul.
    It doesn't add up anyway. There are countless things that defenders get away with within the penalty area (unless they're playing Utd at Old Trafford!!!) that they wouldn't get away with outside the box ie shirt tugging

We'll sit down and watch the video together, talk about it for a few minutes and then we'll decide I am right.

It's so obvious it's laughable. I guess some people are just gullible.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Messi ran through the Chelsea defence earlier in tonight's game, his foot connected with a defenders but he carried on running through. Had he gone down would it have been a penalty? There was contact after all! But he is an honest player more concerned with scoring a goal than manufacturing a penalty, and so it was a non event and something that naturally happens in a fast game.

Got A Season Ticket

I see drogba is after his oscar as usual

Quote Originally Posted by saintlyspur View Post
    I see drogba is after his oscar as usual
    It's the 'Champions League Drogba' tonight, rolling around and trying to get every call from a European ref, annoys the hell out of me. And the commentators say nothing about it, assuming we all want Chelsea to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's the 'Champions League Drogba' tonight, rolling around and trying to get every call from a European ref, annoys the hell out of me. And the commentators say nothing about it, assuming we all want Chelsea to win.
    You mean Drogbaaaa?!!

Starting A Programme Collection saints123's Avatar

Imagine Drogba and Ronaldo in the same team......

Quote Originally Posted by saints123 View Post
    Imagine Drogba and Ronaldo in the same team......
    And Ashley Young
    don't forget your darkest hour is only 60 minutes long
    KEEP THE FAITH
    Gene Hunt BACK ON MONDAY 20th
    QUIT YO' JIBBER JABBER

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djgazza View Post
    And Ashley Young
    Add Suarez and we'd have quite the lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    Add Suarez and we'd have quite the lineup!

Hahaha, very true about both Young and Suarez, Torres wouldn't do bad either !

Gerard Songsters Organiser

Back to the Premier League.

Tough one this week for the Bitter Blues. Who will they support when their beloved cousins from Man Yoo take on their beloved People's Club.

Anyone..............Bronco? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howarth View Post

Tough one this week for the Bitter Blues. Who will they support when their beloved cousins from Man Yoo take on their beloved People's Club.

Anyone..............Bronco? ;-)
    United, no doubt. They're more bitter towards us than Liverpool these days

Everton and United are like kindred spirits these days. It's interesting because back in the 1950s the major Manchester-Merseyside rivalry I believe was between United and Everton. Used to kick off big time.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    United, no doubt. They're more bitter towards us than Liverpool these days

Everton and United are like kindred spirits these days. It's interesting because back in the 1950s the major Manchester-Merseyside rivalry I believe was between United and Everton. Used to kick off big time.
    Apart from the mutual loathing of Liverpool, it's a lot to do with the class of the Everton fans after Sir Matt Busby died in 1994. We played Everton at OT in the next game and a lone piper led the teams out.

Their behaviour that day in keeping silent was awesome. Fergie and all the Utd fans commented on it and there seems to be a good relationship since then.

Apart from the 2005 evening FA Cup game of course and the infamous battles of "Everton Valley"

Who do the main posters on this thread support ?

Got A Season Ticket Back Row Singer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howarth View Post

I'll bite..

1) Liverpool supporters calling Everton fans 'bitter' is a great tactic to hide their own bitterness towards Man United. In 2010, Some Liverpool fans wanted Chelsea to beat them at home so that United wouldn't win their 19th title, at the expense of a european place of their own.

2) Everybody knows why Everton fans hate Liverpool so much, but most are affraid to say it, as it will spark a familiar victimised reaction from self-pity FC.
    It could've been so different had certain events in the mid-eighties not occured. Arguably Everton's greatest ever team broke up because of it.

3) Everton are most definitely the people's club

If Everton finish above the Liverpool this season, it will be a fantastic achievement given it's £5.5m vs £120m+
    However, it will also highlight further, just how much of a missed opportunity last Saturday was.

I'll bite..

1) Liverpool supporters calling Everton fans 'bitter' is a great tactic to hide their own bitterness towards Man United. In 2010, Some Liverpool fans wanted Chelsea to beat them at home so that United wouldn't win their 19th title, at the expense of a european place of their own.

2) Everybody knows why Everton fans hate Liverpool so much, but most are affraid to say it, as it will spark a familiar victimised reaction from self-pity FC.
    It could've been so different had certain events in the mid-eighties not occured. Arguably Everton's greatest ever team broke up because of it.

If Everton finish above the Liverpool this season, it will be a fantastic achievement given it's £5.5m vs £120m+
    However, it will also highlight further, just how much of a missed opportunity last Saturday was.
    Have to say great post mate!

Gerard Songsters Organiser

Have to say great post mate!
    Doesn't answer my original question though does it :-))

I'll bite..

1. True to an extent, but you cannot deny that Everton are obsessed with Liverpool. Your unofficial club song actually says 'we don't care what the Red side say'. If that were true, why even mention it? United fans are as equally obsessed, singing songs about LFC even when they're not playing against them.
    2. I agree with this, and you are right that most don't mention it. It's a very complicated issue though is Heysel, with lots of factors involved. Liverpool fans must take a large share of the blame, but I reckon bad things would have happened in that stadium if any other major English club had been there that night because of the floating element of hooligans that went to Brussels and the Italian ultras obsession with fighting with the English at the time. But I agree completely that EFC had a wonderful team broken up because of the ban. The question I ask though is why? Liverpool didn't break up their team, they kept it together and actually improved. Why did all the EFC players jump ship?
    3. I notice the wink, but I've never really understood the point of being called the 'People's Club'. As opposed to what? Everton have match going fans from Wales, Ireland, London, the South West etc, etc. Are those people more genuine and real than the Welsh, Irish and Cockney Liverpool fans? And do more people in Liverpool follow EFC than LFC? I doubt it. And are Everton more of a 'Peoples Club' than a club like, for example, Newcastle United, who also have a localised fanbase and represent an entire city as opposed to a section of it?
    4. Spot on, if you finish above LFC it will be a great achievement, and it also highlights how badly your manager approached that second half last Saturday.