Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honest Opinions On Royce Simmons

Default Honest Opinions On Royce Simmons

What does everyone think on him so far???

Learning All The Songs The Hoss's Avatar

Havent we already had a thread regarding this the other week?

Anyway, i like him. He's done a very good job this season with what he's had to play with... Only dissapointing thing is, the way we played last week and vs Wire and Quins.

Simmons seems to come up with the goods the week after a dissapointing performance/set back. He certainly knows the meaning of "bouncebackability"
    St. Helens RLFC.... Its your team... And your team needs YOU! :saint:

Banned

I think this is the third thread on Royce so far this season!

It looks like he's nailed everything on the head in training this week anyway.

Let's hope they all remember to hold on to the ball on Friday. And tackle up. And chase. And defend kicks!

In The West Stand

I think the fact that we are where we are despite having a pretty bad injury situation tells us all that he's doing well.

I think he is a very good and shrewd coach, I only have 1 negative with him but maybe I am being hypercritical, so far at half time when it shows you the cameras in the dressing room why is he never talking to the players why is it always his assistant doing the talking?? But over than that like I said very good and very shrewd!

He's a way with words, and i agreee completely with him.

Great news on Cloughie, shame he cant rip the donkeys head off this week at wire lol

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

He as the toughest job of any coach we have had in the last 20 yrs.We have had a massive injury list.The last of our really great players as retired.The Eastmond affair.We have not had a home we could really call our own,we have played all our games away.I think he as done well really and I am looking forward to next season when hopefully we can have more luck with injuries and we move into our new stadium and start to make it a fotress.We should judge him at the end of next season.I am happy with him so far.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Taking all things into consideration, I have no complaints about him. He has had to deal with an awful lot of adversity in a relatively short space of time. I imagine at times he has been wondering what he has done to deserve his luck. But I have faith that he will do a good job in the long run. I also like the fact that he seems to be very honest and straightforward and tells it how it is.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    also like the fact that he seems to be very honest and straightforward and tells it how it is.
    Thats what i admire about Simmons.. He has a great attitude towards the club.

Banned

I think he is done well this year, but playing away all season is no help.

The time to judge is the end of next year when he will have a big new stadium, players in he has wanted and hopefully not as many injuries. If your still 4th then without beating the top 3 questions will need answering

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I think he is done well this year, but playing away all season is no help.

The time to judge is the end of next year when he will have a big new stadium, players in he has wanted and hopefully not as many injuries. If your still 4th then without beating the top 3 questions will need answering
    You probably meant this as a wind-up but its actually true. Next season hopefully he wont have any excuses, so IF it does go tits-up then I'll be worried. As always though, I have faith that this wont be the case!

On another note, it is very encouraging what Simmons has said about Clough. I think he is one of the most underrated players in Super League and I cant wait to see him playing again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

No doubt we have missed Clough.Tackles well and often breaks a tackle. Prop next year ?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 29wes28 View Post
    I love his Tweets!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    No doubt we have missed Clough.Tackles well and often breaks a tackle. Prop next year ?
    Yeah I think that is the way he is heading. He always makes good yards and does the simple things right,i.e. running from deep with a bit of aggression. Something we seem to be lacking at the minute.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

The jury is out but he has certainly impressed me more than his predecessor.

He needs to get a grip on his substitution naming policy though. What odds on Armstrong being on the bench tomorrow and not getting any game time? In the modern game there is no sense in naming an out and out back on the bench and giving him the last ten minutes at most.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

He needs to get a grip on his substitution naming policy though. What odds on Armstrong being on the bench tomorrow and not getting any game time? In the modern game there is no sense in naming an out and out back on the bench and giving him the last ten minutes at most.
    This I would agree with. He has done it a few times this year and it has annoyed me slightly. I think tomorow we will see Flannery in the centre and Eastmond on the bench. At least he offers more utility value than Armstrong.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    This I would agree with. He has done it a few times this year and it has annoyed me slightly. I think tomorow we will see Flannery in the centre and Eastmond on the bench. At least he offers more utility value than Armstrong.
    I'd rather see it the other way round so we can spell our forwards more without disrupting the backline. Then again, I can understand having Flannery in the centre for his defensive capabilties.

Oh, I don't know! I suppose that's why I'm not the coach!

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Not sure I understand your logic here chief?

We are in no better position now than we were under MP. I beleive that the clubs youngsters have thrived through Mike Rush and obviously under Potters influence last year, would so many have stepped up to the plate and come of age this year without a good grounding over the last 24 months?

It is difficult to judge a coach nowadays, especially as you can be the best team all year and yet the record books can show you as a failure.

Once Royston has had a run of games that really matter with a squad he has helped build and mould then we can be the judge.

At the moment the club is in stage 3 of a 4 year transition from an ageing squad just tipping over the hill to a fresh young team with a sprinkling of experience hopefully able to lighten up the new stadium.

For me Potter had an impossible task to take on the team he did and achieve what had gone previously, I think he managed it well and moved on or had to cope with losing several club heroes will mainting a position as one of the top 2 sides in the competition.

Fingers crossed Roy can move us on further still.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I'm not into massive quoting, but very's post is spot on. Royce has done well, but potter did well too, and had we played better in 2 games in his 2 years, we'd have had two sl titles. If we finish this season with a relatively fit squad, and we didn't win the gf or the cup, would we consider him an improvement?

Not that winning things is the sole indication of 'success'

Got A Season Ticket

I think he's fairly decent job. He's came in changed it around and made a few signings and made a notable difference

Just wait till the end of the season that's most important part

Got A Season Ticket

Im happy with him , i pitty the bulls having potter !
    hello !!!

Got A Season Ticket Londonsaints's Avatar

I think he is a very good and shrewd coach, I only have 1 negative with him but maybe I am being hypercritical, so far at half time when it shows you the cameras in the dressing room why is he never talking to the players why is it always his assistant doing the talking?? But over than that like I said very good and very shrewd!
    Have to disagree re the half time dressing room talks, whenever I have watched a sky recording after the game (as normally at the game) Royce is always talking to the players, unlike last year under Potter, when it was always Purtill doing the talking.

I like Royce - what he says and has done with the playing resources due to the injuries this year - but he will be measured generally by if we win anything, this or next season.

P.s and, not forgetting the fact we are playing 'away' and the off field issues he has had to deal with either - !
    Last edited by Londonsaints; 24th June 2011 at 10:14. Reason: added a P.s.
    No more 500 Mile round trip for home games - moved to Warrington - now that makes more sense!

My profile says ' Waiting for the No 17' ? Don't have a danny what that is all about?!

In The South Stand

I've seen nothing to suggest he's a good coach or that he's had any positive impact at all. The defense is very weak and we don't stand up physically against the big sides. He has plenty of excuses, the weak squad he inherited, the injuries, playing at Widnes, the refereeing decisions etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I've seen nothing to suggest he's a good coach or that he's had any positive impact at all. The defense is very weak and we don't stand up physically against the big sides. He has plenty of excuses, the weak squad he inherited, the injuries, playing at Widnes, the refereeing decisions etc.
    Stirrer!

He's easier to warm to than Potter but he's not demonstrated that he's a better coach (yet)

The one thing I get from him so far is he's very good at pinpointing what we're doing wrong but not so good at fixing it

However I'm pretty confident he'll get it right given time