Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Football - off season antics

So......Joey Barton.

Really a target for United? I think he'd be excellent for Arsenal. His most recent actions with regards to slagging the clubs hierarchy off on twitter may come back to bite him tho, as some who were thinking of taking a punt may realise no matter how good he can be on the field, the can be a grade a bell end off it.
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Gone very quiet on here lately. Is there a game on Sunday? Are Barca the new Real? Will Barton ever grow up? Who''ll go down, who'll go to europe, who'll march to glory etc etc!!

here's a few predictions for the new season

Champions. City
    Top 4 - Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal
    FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Utd

Relegated - Wigan, Norwich, Swansea

Champions League - Real Madrid
    You're all out of time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    here's a few predictions for the new season

Champions. City
    Top 4 - Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal
    FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Utd

Champions League - Real Madrid
    Champions - City
    Top 4 - Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham
    FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Liverpool
    Champions League - Barcelona

Probably biased with Tottenham, however if rumours are correct and Spurs sign Diarra and Adebayor whilst Arsenal lose Fabregas, then I seriously think Arsenal will drop and I still don't think Liverpool are a real threat. Only a top striker stopped Spurs last year and with one, we'll be better. Always the optimist........

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    Champions - City
    Top 4 - Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham
    FA Cup - Chelsea
    League Cup - Liverpool

Probably biased with Tottenham, however if rumours are correct and Spurs sign Diarra and Adebayor whilst Arsenal lose Fabregas, then I seriously think Arsenal will drop and I still don't think Liverpool are a real threat. Only a top striker stopped Spurs last year and with one, we'll be better. Always the optimist........
    True, and I hope your right would like to see Arsenal miss out on the top 4. Spurs were just unlucky last year that all 4 of their forwards struggled for any form. Any truth in the Ade/Lennon swap from your end?
    You're all out of time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

True, and I hope your right would like to see Arsenal miss out on the top 4. Spurs were just unlucky last year that all 4 of their forwards struggled for any form. Any truth in the Ade/Lennon swap from your end?
    I dont see anything in the Lennon swap idea. I dont think Spurs would agree to it and I doubt City would be interested in Lennon.

Our forwards are so average its incredible compared to the rest of the side. By all accounts we will be signing either Llorente or Adebayor along with Diarra, if all goes to plan. That would see us line up with Lennon, Modric, Diarra, Bale, Van der Vaart and Abebayor/Llorente. Thats without including the likes of Kranjcar, Huddlestone, Sandro and Pienaar. That is so superior to Liverpool its frightening and more than a match for Arsenal. If we get something like that, then I seriously think we'll challenge again. Last year, we matched City and Chelsea home and away and lost through poor finishing and we took 6 points off both Arsenal and Liverpool. We also took only 7 points from a possible 24 against the bottom 4 clubs, again through appalling finishing. Improve our finishing and we are a serious threat again. I just hope we do sign these players as you can never be quite sure with Redknapp, we may still end up with Joe Cole, Scott Parker and some garbage striker.

Got A Season Ticket

I think city will win it this year would be nice to see all the utd fans crying for a change.As a spurs fan i hope we can get back in the top four but im not so sure.I think a dark horse for the top four is everton

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

So the team with the money got a 'lesson in football' yesterday, can't say I disagree too much with Wayne Rooneys assesment of the game. For 80 minutes we controlled the game with ease and our young lads showed a spirit and togetherness that unfortunately money just can't buy. Even at 2 down at half time I had no worries, it was never a 2 goal game and I knew if we continued in the same way the goals would come.

There's a lot of talk about us needing to bring sneijder in, but perhaps the answer to the midfield dilemma is closer to home. Tom Cleverly looked every inch the player we need to fill that role yesterday and if we show patience and give the player the backing he needs he could save us a lot of money. Anderson too needs a big season and yesterday for the first time in a long time he took control in the middle and didn't tire like we saw him do on many occasions last season. There's a definite class of 95/96 feel about what we've got at the club now and it was telling that for much of the second half Ashley Young at 26 was our oldest player on the pitch, we took City apart with a team of hungry talented and entusiastic kids and it all bodes well for the future.

And before anybody gives it the 'it was only a friendly' line - the 5 yellow cards teh city players picked up showed they were taking it much more seriously than that!

Here's my predictions;

Champions - Manchester United
    Top 4 - Chelsea, City, Liverpool
    FA Cup - Manchester United
    League Cup - Manchester United

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    So the team with the money got a 'lesson in football' yesterday.
    How much have United spent this off season again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    How much have United spent this off season again?
    It took long enough to get a bite on any of that!

For what it's worth approx 50m

So the team with the money got a 'lesson in football' yesterday, can't say I disagree too much with Wayne Rooneys assesment of the game. For 80 minutes we controlled the game with ease and our young lads showed a spirit and togetherness that unfortunately money just can't buy. Even at 2 down at half time I had no worries, it was never a 2 goal game and I knew if we continued in the same way the goals would come.

There's a lot of talk about us needing to bring sneijder in, but perhaps the answer to the midfield dilemma is closer to home. Tom Cleverly looked every inch the player we need to fill that role yesterday and if we show patience and give the player the backing he needs he could save us a lot of money. Anderson too needs a big season and yesterday for the first time in a long time he took control in the middle and didn't tire like we saw him do on many occasions last season. There's a definite class of 95/96 feel about what we've got at the club now and it was telling that for much of the second half Ashley Young at 26 was our oldest player on the pitch, we took City apart with a team of hungry talented and entusiastic kids and it all bodes well for the future.

And before anybody gives it the 'it was only a friendly' line - the 5 yellow cards teh city players picked up showed they were taking it much more seriously than that!

Here's my predictions;

cant disagree with most of your assessment of the game, you just need to do it in a meaningful game.
    oh and the card count is probably due to fergies never ending crusade against the officials in this country, dowd in particular.
    other than that, god knows how we were 2-0 up and its a shame from my point of view that the old hair dryer is working better than ever
    You're all out of time.

cant disagree with most of your assessment of the game, you just need to do it in a meaningful game.
    oh and the card count is probably due to fergies never ending crusade against the officials in this country, dowd in particular.
    other than that, god knows how we were 2-0 up and its a shame from my point of view that the old hair dryer is working better than ever
    Oh definitely - the CS is basically a glorified friendly but as friendlys go it is as high a level as you can ask for and puts you in good stead for the real thing. The card count though can't be put down to a 'crusade' some of the tackles from your lads were a bit rash at best. Richards on another day could quite easily have seen red for his challenge on Young and Kompany on a couple of occasions made rash challenges.

Obviously you can't read a great deal into the game but one thing that seemed apparent to me was Balotelli & Dzeko as a partnership won't work - but you've obviously got Kun to sort that out and hopefully for you he'll bring some of the urgency that tevez brought/brings because Dzeko & Balotelli don't apply the same pressure on teh defenders.

Can't wait for the season to begin now!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Interesting how United fans insisted it was nothing more than a Friendly all week then when they turn up and play well alongside us playing shite then it was "always more than a Friendly".

In reality it could be the best thing that ever happened to us. We were outplayed from first till last and it showed that we are clearly not good enough to topple United from their perch as things stand.

Despite every man and his dog seeing that we need to get the midfield to overlap the forwards now and again, Mancini refuses to do it. One thing is for sure, the current midfield is not good enough for a Champion side. If we insist in wasting Silva out wide then the signing of an attacking, overlapping midfielder is a must before the window shuts or we'll be just aiming for CL qualification again.

As for Dzeko and Balotelli, I actually like Dzeko. I'm not sure he's a world beater but he will score and create a lot of goals this year I feel. Balotelli can be shipped home tomorrow. His troublesome personality I don't need to go into but the reality is that you can count the number of decent games he has had on one finger.

As for United, if they sign Sneijder it's game over for the rest of us. The most keenly anticipated title race for years looks on the verge of being a walk in the park.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Interesting how United fans insisted it was nothing more than a Friendly all week then when they turn up and play well alongside us playing shite then it was "always more than a Friendly". .

In reality it could be the best thing that ever happened to us. We were outplayed from first till last and it showed that we are clearly not good enough to topple United from their perch as things stand.

Despite every man and his dog seeing that we need to get the midfield to overlap the forwards now and again, Mancini refuses to do it. One thing is for sure, the current midfield is not good enough for a Champion side. If we insist in wasting Silva out wide then the signing of an attacking, overlapping midfielder is a must before the window shuts or we'll be just aiming for CL qualification again.

As for Dzeko and Balotelli, I actually like Dzeko. I'm not sure he's a world beater but he will score and create a lot of goals this year I feel. Balotelli can be shipped home tomorrow. His troublesome personality I don't need to go into but the reality is that you can count the number of decent games he has had on one finger.

As for United, if they sign Sneijder it's game over for the rest of us. The most keenly anticipated title race for years looks on the verge of being a walk in the park.
    There's no denying it was just an hyped up friendly but both sets of players certainly took it a little more seriously than I suspect they would had it not been a derby. I don't really read too much into the result but it's always nice to get a victory over a rival early doors.

I can't fathom Mancini out to be honest, David Silva is up with Modric & Nasri in playing that creative midfield role and potentially better than both I think but he just isn't allowed to play his natural game. How would you line up do you think if you do bring nasri in which is heavily rumoured? Presumably takes the place of Barry/Milner and sits in with Toure & De Jong. Toure is a key player for you I think and was very subdued on Sunday, another sign of not really being able to read too much into the result.

Did you see what Gary Neville aid after the game about Balotelli? As much as you'll not like him for who he is he was quite honest and said he thought Balotelli was an embarrassment to your club with his constant issues and pretty much said what you say - if he was having blinders week in week out then it could perhaps be justified but he's not performng and still throwing the toys out of the pram. As a team I think you'd be better shipping him off to Milan where his heart clearly is and getting somebody like Eto'o in who would compliment your other strikers much better.

As for us i'm not so sure Sneijder is the player we need but he will be a major influence on us, I think we lack a physical presence in the middle - a real box to box player but that isn't to say i'd be for once second disappointed with getting Sneijder in - actually in saying that the only issue i'd have is if it stifled the progress of Cleverly. He looks a talent and just needs to be given games now to make the role his own. W

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Interesting how United fans insisted it was nothing more than a Friendly all week then when they turn up and play well alongside us playing shite then it was "always more than a Friendly".

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Hopefully we'll get Nasri snapped up asap and at least one other CM for me. With Vieira now retired we could do with an extra holding player but one that is comfortable on the ball and one creative midfielder or one that will get ahead of play and look to support the front men, ideally Nasri. Dont forget its the African Cup of Nations this year so Yaya will miss the crucial Christmas period.

Like you, I like Dzeko, our current system just doesn't work for him. If he was playing for Utd or Spurs i'm sure he'd bag around 20 a season, having said that not many of his goals at Wolfsburg were headed goals from crosses as you might expect. I hope the goal on sunday and the previous sunday against Inter will give him confidence going into the new season and hopefully Kun Aguero will give him plenty support.

As for Mario, well the less said the better.
    You're all out of time.

FREE GOALS!

A free ESPN app for smartphones to watch EVERY Premier League football goal on your phone wherever you are, for free.

Download free from the right app store for your phone. From the Apple App Store and Android Market now. It'll be available on BlackBerry App World, Nokia and Windows Phone 7 in the next few days. More info on the ESPN Goals website.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/site/goals.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    FREE GOALS!

A free ESPN app for smartphones to watch EVERY Premier League football goal on your phone wherever you are, for free.

Download free from the right app store for your phone. From the Apple App Store and Android Market now. It'll be available on BlackBerry App World, Nokia and Windows Phone 7 in the next few days. More info on the ESPN Goals website.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/site/goals.html
    thanks for the heads up
    You're all out of time.

With Everton's game being called off on saturday it will be their best start to a season in 29 years!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

It's not about the long ball or the short ball, it's about the right ball."

Just so everyone knows - this thread will close at 2:59pm on Saturday...

Then the new season starts which means a new thread!

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthr...Season-Is-Here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Just so everyone knows - this thread will close at 2:59pm on Saturday...

Then the new season starts which means a new thread!

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthr...Season-Is-Here!
    whats the count down for?
    You're all out of time.

Got A Season Ticket somerset-saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Just placed a bet for next season,Liverpool to win the Prem at 14/1 good odds.
    The bloke explained it to me very nicely in the shop saying If I bet £10 I will lose £10 pounds....nice of him to take the time ?
    I think you should have headed his words.... I think liverpool will be lucky to get an uefa cup place

Got A Season Ticket somerset-saint's Avatar

Here's my predictions;

TOP 6.....

chelsea
    man utd
    man city
    spurs