Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 40 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 5

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Default Stadium Watch 5

Welcome to Stadium Watch 5. Stadium Watch 4 has now been archived and can be found with the other Stadium Watch archives here: http://www.redvee.net/forums/forumdi...-Watch-Archive

But don't let a bit of archiving put you off!
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The South Stand

Thanks. Keep those pics coming.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    I think the stadium could force a decision on the old rail line, last I heard they where in parliament trying to get it opened .
    I dont think they would as half of the line doesnt exist and they would probably have to re-lay the lines that do. also there are a few places along the line that has been redeveloped already. An example of this is clock face.

They are trying to get skelmersdale to liverpool re opened but this is seen as not necessary. So i dont think they will open a line to make a 20 second jurney. Coming from the other direction the rail bridge that crosses the existing line at just before junction doesnt exist acording to google.
    Last edited by SaintPeter; 18th May 2011 at 08:48.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I don't know if this has been said before......With the olympics taking place next year will SL be playing through them or will it stop for the two weeks of the games.Will we be starting the season two weeks early to do this? If we do our first SL game at our fantastic new stadium could be 2 weeks earlier than we thought

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPeter View Post
    I dont think they would as half of the line doesnt exist and they would probably have to re-lay the lines that do. also there are a few places along the line that has been redeveloped already. An example of this is clock face.

They are trying to get skelmersdale to liverpool re opened but this is seen as not necessary. So i dont think they will open a line to make a 20 second jurney. Coming from the other direction the rail bridge that crosses the existing line at just before junction doesnt exist acording to google.
    The line past the stadium went to St Helens Junction did it not! The line through Clock Face was from Widnes to Carr Mill junction not past the stadium. Skelmersdale is on the Wigan Kirkby line but there is no station at Skem so they might be trying to get one built even though it is nowhere near the centre of Skem.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Although you've probably steamed the buggers, I disagree. The St Helens - Runcorn Gap line is the one that goes past the New Stadium - past Sutton Oak, Junction, Clock Face and beyond to Widnes

Regarding Clock Face being redeveloped, so what? The only part of the line that could serve any function if re-opened is the section from Town to Junction. Beyond Clock Face, most of the old lines in Widnes are now roads.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p...ss/index.shtml

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Although you've probably steamed the buggers, I disagree. The St Helens - Runcorn Gap line is the one that goes past the New Stadium - past Sutton Oak, Junction, Clock Face and beyond to Widnes

Regarding Clock Face being redeveloped, so what? The only part of the line that could serve any function if re-opened is the section from Town to Junction. Beyond Clock Face, most of the old lines in Widnes are now roads.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p...ss/index.shtml
    I bow to your superior knowledge obviously the connections on the freight only Widnes to Wigan joining Shaw St to Wigan line at Carr Mill junction was what I remember in the 80's (1980's that is).
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

just had a look in this morning, one big giant crane is already up and running, and I mean big, its got a lift running up the side of it, its come with a gang of roofers and is aleady lifting the roofing material.
    Had a word with the lads doing the retaining wall they are going all along the back of the North stand with the wall apart from a couple of steps that are going in.
    we definately need snaps of this crane.
    Talking to the Saints groundsman at the PX end of the stadium he said big Mac is a regular visitor and that we are having pop-up sprinklers, they are also pouring concrete into the 1st floor and they are working during the night .
    Last edited by doghead; 18th May 2011 at 13:25.

In The South Stand

Would a connection from St. Helens junction to Shaw street not be a benefit to supporters coming from Yorkshire.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Would a connection from St. Helens junction to Shaw street not be a benefit to supporters coming from Yorkshire.
    Well it definitely benefit people coming from St Helens junction. They could just stop the train on the line and they could watch the game from the comfort of the carriage through the gap at the north east corner.

Learning All The Songs Chris Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Well it would make it an easier journey (only one change in Manchester) and from Warrington for that matter as they all go through Junction.

Would be nice to see a few rugby trains rolling in chocked full but I think it is probably far too expensive for the benefits it would bring the line is pretty messy

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

If a stop at the new station is viable it's definitely something that should be investigated.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Got A Season Ticket

just had a look in this morning, one big giant crane is already up and running, and I mean big, its got a lift running up the side of it, its come with a gang of roofers and is aleady lifting the roofing material.
    Had a word with the lads doing the retaining wall they are going all along the back of the North stand with the wall apart from a couple of steps that are going in.
    Talking to the Saints groundsman at the PX end of the stadium he said big Mac is a regular visitor and that we are having pop-up sprinklers, they are also pouring concrete into the 1st floor and they are working during the night .
    Do you not own a camera?

OOOoo very posh

Noooobie

does anyone know when the bridge is due to start? must be getting close now surely!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andrewfsx View Post
    does anyone know when the bridge is due to start? must be getting close now surely!
    I read somewhere that the bridge is being put in place at the end of May. Sounded like it was arriving at the site already built but that might just be me imagining things.

Starting A Programme Collection

it will be fully built in 2 sections. they will have to close the both directions

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPeter View Post
    it will be fully built in 2 sections. they will have to close the both directions
    it will be done through the night... the massive crane your on about is a mobile tower crane and they are not that massive, if you wanna see a massive crane wait till they lift the bridge sections.... as for the rail link i have a relative in the rail network and he said their something proposed but unsure what!!!! as for it being to expensive its not really as there has been a massive injecton of cash put into the rail infrastructure, and a complete relay can be done in 6-8wks now

Got A Season Ticket

Re the new line suggestion. Sadly i dont believe that this is going to occur. Options for improvement of the north west rail network were explored with in the Route Utilisation Study - RUS - published in 2007.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...n%20Strategies

This makes no reference to the reopening of the line. Some of the recommendations in the RUS are taking place, and others are stalled due to lack of funding.

The way to get the route funded together with the station for the stadium and area is to build a robust business case. For a recent station i am familar with - Aylesbury Vale Parkway - this was funded by a grant fron the developer of new houses in the area, (it was a condition to get planning permission), a TOC who could see a commerical benefit from serving it -new users plus an additional time on the franchise, and by extending existing services a few miles (which came mainly free by reducing the turnaround time so no additional units were required).

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

The only bridge work for network rail in St Helens at present under the EMAFA project is one bridge removal which is currently out to tender. I'm not sure which bridge

The foot bridge I will try and find out tomorrow but I doubt it's end of may. Maybe June. The guy that runs the scheme is a chap called mark and the lanky lad Dave is the engineer. If I remember I'll ring them tomorrow and push stretch (dave)for some info. I keep forgettin to ring them as I work away.
    Nobody said life would be easy

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I read somewhere that the bridge is being put in place at the end of May. Sounded like it was arriving at the site already built but that might just be me imagining things.
    im sure i heard that too but also thought i was imagining it lol

Got A Replica Shirt 100% referee!'s Avatar

Hello can any one tell me were the old rail line is?

Want to referee? www.shrlrs.webs.com
    St Helens Rugby League Referees' Society THE BEST!

It went form Central Station and beared left at the back of what is now Matalan. The over the bridge Peasley Cross Lane along the back of St Josephs Club and the back of Morrisons, under that bridge on Baxters Lane. It carried on over that little bridge on Lancots Lane and at the back of the Caldo Petrol Station to St Helens Junction.

Hope that helps young man
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Got A Replica Shirt 100% referee!'s Avatar

thanks good help!!

Want to referee? www.shrlrs.webs.com
    St Helens Rugby League Referees' Society THE BEST!

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=andrewfsx;352515]im sure i heard that too but also thought i was imagining it lol[/QUOT

it was me who posted that the bridge was to be put in place one Sunday the end of May, got told by the copper who beat that is.