Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 2

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

My Learned collegue Oddball says

Our esteemed Chairman actually said on GMR that i was a 50 week build and it was planned that would be in the stadium July next year , as I have said previously in this and other thread, have faith,
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Our esteemed Chairman actually said on GMR that i was a 50 week build and it was planned that would be in the stadium July next year , as I have said previously in this and other thread, have faith,
    Our esteemed Chairman isn't the contractor. I'm expressing lack of faith in British contractors, not in our 'esteemed chairman' who will have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the contractors meet their deadlines.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Our esteemed Chairman isn't the contractor. I'm expressing lack of faith in British contractors, not in our 'esteemed chairman' who will have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the contractors meet their deadlines.
    Such as fuss is made of the few projects that are completed in time and within budget, that you must think that our stadium will be a longer build than planned

why do you automatically assume that it will take longer than, the deadline, the contractors building the roads and lighting infrastructure are 6 weeks AHEAD of schedule , could not the stadium come in ahead? , i have stated many times in this thread and on rlfans, the amount of negativity on display sometimes is staggering , some days i feel like im reading the Wigan forum by mistake !
    Pre-Match drinks?

why do you automatically assume that it will take longer than, the deadline, the contractors building the roads and lighting infrastructure are 6 weeks AHEAD of schedule , could not the stadium come in ahead? , i have stated many times in this thread and on rlfans, the amount of negativity on display sometimes is staggering , some days i feel like im reading the Wigan forum by mistake !
    I prefer to doubt rather than have blind faith.

if the stadium is on time I will be delighted, how will you feel if the stadium is late?

Remember Wembley?

Learning All The Songs Chris Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I prefer to doubt rather than have blind faith.

if the stadium is on time I will be delighted, how will you feel if the stadium is late?

Remember Wembley?
    Wembley was a bad one but you are comparing two completely different things, Warrington was on time as were Leigh and Doncaster - which are projects of far similar magnitude so the faith isn't totally blind

At the end of the day 50, 52, 60 weeks - does it really matter? Shouldn't we just be happy its actually being built???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Saint View Post
    Wembley was a bad one but you are comparing two completely different things, Warrington was on time as were Leigh and Doncaster - which are projects of far similar magnitude so the faith isn't totally blind

At the end of the day 50, 52, 60 weeks - does it really matter? Shouldn't we just be happy its actually being built???
    Well you could argue that saying it is being built is a statement of faith right now not fact

You know i get the feeling your not a "glass half full" kind of bloke, more like "why dont they let me in the pub any more?" kind ,

anyway the plain fact is we could go on saying what if and maybe, all day, neither of us knows for sure, and to be honest i`m not going to change your mind and you`r not going to change mine, so we will have to agree to disagree.
    Pre-Match drinks?

Banned

why do you automatically assume that it will take longer than, the deadline, the contractors building the roads and lighting infrastructure are 6 weeks AHEAD of schedule , could not the stadium come in ahead?
    Because in my previous life I've worked for councils and my experience has been that British contractors do not have the reputation for bringing in projects on time or on budget. Even in my new life, there was an NHS project being built just down the road from where I live which was due to be finished in January this year. It finished in February, but without a surrounding wall being completed! You may say that's just a month's difference, but imagine what affect a month's delay could have upon our season. And that's not taking into account weather delays.

On the issue of the club: Saints have undermined my faith in their announcements. I seem to remember an early announcement stating that building work would begin after Christmas. Ha! We've had the driest first half of a year since 1929 when building work could have been racing ahead, and instead we're only just being told that a contractor has been appointed. What happened to that announcement for November last year about the appointment of contractors? You see. Saints themselves have resulted in me being skeptical about Saints' announcements.

Now. If indeed we get a statement next week and if indeed work actually begins the following week, then Saints will have restored my faith in their announcements because what they announced will have actually happened, after all the announcements that didn't happen. My faith is very easily restored, but people bludgening me about being negative and all that silly bollox will definitely NOT restore my faith in Saints' announcements.

In The South Stand

futtock, even now there are doom and gloom merchants that think that there is no money to build a new stadium, or that is will be council owned, or it will be owned by Tesco. When these people are sat in the new stadium they still wont believe it, now that its obvious to these people that the stadium will be built the only avenue for their doom and gloom prophecies is, it wont be ready till 2012, because (there a list a mile long) .

In The South Stand

Because in my previous life I've worked for councils and my experience has been that British contractors do not have the reputation for bringing in projects on time or on budget. Even in my new life, there was an NHS project being built just down the road from where I live which was due to be finished in January this year. It finished in February, but without a surrounding wall being completed! You may say that's just a month's difference, but imagine what affect a month's delay could have upon our season. And that's not taking into account weather delays.

On the issue of the club: Saints have undermined my faith in their announcements. I seem to remember an early announcement stating that building work would begin after Christmas. Ha! We've had the driest first half of a year since 1929 when building work could have been racing ahead, and instead we're only just being told that a contractor has been appointed. What happened to that announcement for November last year about the appointment of contractors? You see. Saints themselves have resulted in me being skeptical about Saints' announcements.

Now. If indeed we get a statement next week and if indeed work actually begins the following week, then Saints will have restored my faith in their announcements because what they announced will have actually happened, after all the announcements that didn't happen. My faith is very easily restored, but people bludgening me about being negative and all that silly bollox will definitely NOT restore my faith in Saints' announcements.
    Without saying to much or betraying a confidence there are people on these board's who know the reason for part of these delays, and if you have worked in this area you should know why there are delays like this, its all part and parcel of the tendering process.

You know i get the feeling your not a "glass half full" kind of bloke, more like "why dont they let me in the pub any more?" kind ,

anyway the plain fact is we could go on saying what if and maybe, all day, neither of us knows for sure, and to be honest i`m not going to change your mind and you`r not going to change mine, so we will have to agree to disagree.
    I just want proof that's all - if people have it but wont say on principle then I respect that completely, no one will be happier on the day I take my seat

Starting A Programme Collection

As my Mother used to say "all good things in life are worth waiting for"!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Without saying to much or betraying a confidence there are people on these board's who know the reason for part of these delays, and if you have worked in this area you should know why there are delays like this, its all part and parcel of the tendering process.
    That's not the point.

The point was the club's statements. If they make statements and then the stated action doesn't happen, it's really little wonder that people start to be skeptical when statements are made, yes? I think that isn't unreasonable. If someone kept telling me I'd won a million quid but the million quid didn't turn up, I'd soon stop believing them when they next claimed I'd won a million quid. As would you. Same principle.

But ... if a statement is made next week, as the chairman is reported as saying it would be, and if the building work on the site begins the week after, as he was reported as saying it would, then I will no longer have cause to take the club's statements with a pinch of salt, will I, because what they have stated will happen, happened.

That's not the point.

The point was the club's statements. If they make statements and then the stated action doesn't happen, it's really little wonder that people start to be skeptical when statements are made, yes? I think that isn't unreasonable. If someone kept telling me I'd won a million quid but the million quid didn't turn up, I'd soon stop believing them when they next claimed I'd won a million quid. As would you. Same principle.

But ... if a statement is made next week, as the chairman is reported as saying it would be, and if the building work on the site begins the week after, as he was reported as saying it would, then I will no longer have cause to take the club's statements with a pinch of salt, will I, because what they have stated will happen, happened.
    Eammon did not say a statement would be released next week and building work would start the week after. Its a complete misrepresentation of what he said.

He said a detailed statement would be released next week and he hoped building work could start almost immediately with the caveat that the parties are currently working on the detailed legal work.

Learning All The Songs

FFS what is it with all the negative people on here,I listened to the chairman on Thurs night and he come across as really confident that it will be completed by the beginning of July next year,let's have some faith in our chairman cause let's be honest in his almost 10 years of being our chairman he has been bloody half decent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Eammon did not say a statement would be released next week
    He said a detailed statement would be released next week
    Um ... and the difference is?

Him expressing confidence and it happening are two entirely different things. I'm sure he's very hopeful but that's no better than what we have now so your second clause does nothing to encourage me to believe we are any closer to seeing anything happening on that site than before what he was reported to have said, was said. Or whatever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cjhatesunion View Post
    FFS what is it with all the negative people on here,I listened to the chairman on Thurs night and he come across as really confident that it will be completed by the beginning of July next year,let's have some faith in our chairman cause let's be honest in his almost 10 years of being our chairman he has been bloody half decent.
    Don't be so bloody soft. No-one is making any comment on the chairman. No-one at all. Not even me! He's been a godsend to the club, although unlike some I do realise he is actually human and not god.

But anyway. Chairman saying he is hopeful and something actually happening are two entirely different things. Since Legolas' translation of what he said, I'm even less convinced anything is going to happen in the immediate future. If it ever actually does.

But that is nothing whatsoever to do with the chairman. That's to do with an empty site on which nothing is presently being done to build a stadium.

We will have a very nice roundabout, though, with some lovely lights. So we can all be grateful for that, I guess! ;-)

Um ... and the difference is?

Him expressing confidence and it happening are two entirely different things. I'm sure he's very hopeful but that's no better than what we have now so your second clause does nothing to encourage me to believe we are any closer to seeing anything happening on that site than before what he was reported to have said, was said. Or whatever.
    The difference is you have intentionally missed out the vital point I made.

You said EM said that a statement would be released next week and building work commence the week after. At no point has EM said that.

Starting A Programme Collection

I have faith in the chairman but there are always unforseen problems. Weather, supply times, its an old site, that cou'd through in a few problems. Thats not being negative, just realistic. I have no doubt that what Eammon says is true but it is always an estimate. Yes they could endup a few weeks ahead to start with and could finish ahead, but they could finish on time or late aswell. Thats just the way it is.

Learning All The Songs

I have every confidence in our chairman and believe he will deliver the goods.

In The South Stand

Anybody who after hearing what the chairman said thursday night and still doubt's our stadium will happen, well words fail me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Anybody who after hearing what the chairman said thursday night and still doubt's our stadium will happen, well words fail me.
    Clearly they didn't though, did they?

McManus is a human being. Geez! Anyone would think he is the Lord Almighty the way people hang on his every word here!

The guy doesn't run the construction company. He doesn't even have sole discretion on issues relating to the site. Tesco, for example, have deliberately held up joint projects like this elsewhere in the country.

I have no doubt that McManus is sincere in what he says but he can no more state with certainty when things are going to happen now than he could six months ago. And that is simply because he isn't actually the Lord Almighty, he's just a business guy who cannot be in control of all the aspects of this project. Had he been, I'm sure it would already be built.

Clearly they didn't though, did they?

McManus is a human being. Geez! Anyone would think he is the Lord Almighty the way people hang on his every word here!

The guy doesn't run the construction company. He doesn't even have sole discretion on issues relating to the site. Tesco, for example, have deliberately held up joint projects like this elsewhere in the country.

I have no doubt that McManus is sincere in what he says but he can no more state with certainty when things are going to happen now than he could six months ago. And that is simply because he isn't actually the Lord Almighty, he's just a business guy who cannot be in control of all the aspects of this project. Had he been, I'm sure it would already be built.
    Blasphemy!!

Say three hail Eamons as your pennance

Don't you know that the almighty is singlehandedly building the new stadium? It will happen in 6 days, on the 7th day he will rest, and the people of the tribe of redvee will call this day "matchday" and they will worship the holy one at the temple in George st

Alleluia brothers and sisters of Saint Eamon we have a convert, well done Buddy we knew you would se the light eventually , welcome into the church laspheme ye not with doubts, and rejoice that we will have a new churh to worship in when the chrubim and seraphim in yellow hi viz vests and yellow hard harts hav worked theiir miracle on site
    Pre-Match drinks?