Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "champions"

Got A Season Ticket the actual don johnson's Avatar

Default "champions"

Does anyone else think that we should leave the grand final system in place but make it so that the team that actually comes top of the league goes on to play in the wcc?

I'm thinking there would be incentive to win both parts of the league and also would reward the top tabled team for being consistently the best throughout the year.

In The West Stand

Nope

I think those that finish top should be the champions and play the WCC then we have a play off system for a 3rd trophy. Pretty much like we used to have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Nope

I think those that finish top should be the champions and play the WCC then we have a play off system for a 3rd trophy. Pretty much like we used to have!!!
    The 1st past the post system came in during the early 1970's and aped soccer, previous to that the champions in RL were decided via playofs and the championship final which was basically a grand final.

The current grand final system is a return to a RL tradition.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    The 1st past the post system came in during the early 1970's and aped soccer, previous to that the champions in RL were decided via playofs and the championship final which was basically a grand final.

The current grand final system is a return to a RL tradition.
    never said it didnt.

In The South Stand

The old system years back was when not every team played each other and therefore made a bit of fairness. now we all play each other so it is not really needed but bearing inmind only 2 clubs have won under both systems, one big difference SKY tv and they seemto want everything like australia.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Don't think the system will change but prizemoney for finishing top should be increased substantially to prevent teams just jogging along pre play offs in my opinion.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    The old system years back was when not every team played each other and therefore made a bit of fairness. now we all play each other so it is not really needed but bearing inmind only 2 clubs have won under both systems, one big difference SKY tv and they seemto want everything like australia.

Bang on the money.

Lets make every weeks game mean something.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

This is what spoils Rugby League IMOA,the constant changing for changes sake ! They cant leave the rules alone & keep changing the goalposts in EVERY competion.

Learning All The Songs

Grand Final fine with me - we all know where we stand and play offs make for some great games and a big night out to finish the season.

Under the old rules it didnt usually go to the last weekend so there were quite a lot of meaningless fixtures then as well. In the bad days when Wigan won by 8-10 points there were loads !!

My only complaint with the GF system has been the changing from 5,6 and now 8 - need to leave it alone now so gets fully established. Cant be that bad a system as havent RU adopted the same approach and is heavily weighted to help the top 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Under the old rules it didnt usually go to the last weekend so there were quite a lot of meaningless fixtures then as well. In the bad days when Wigan won by 8-10 points there were loads !!

?

Well I recall us losing one to Wigan on points difference.

i think the grand final system is great, look at american sports all of them end in playoffs, some of them (superbowl for ex) are huge occasions.
    i personally love attending the grand final, the before, during and after (not so much after and during for the last few years but you cant have everything!)

would be a shame to take it away

also a massive money maker!
    time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time
    get wasted all the time and you will have the time of your life!

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Grand Final fine with me - we all know where we stand and play offs make for some great games and a big night out to finish the season.

?
    The game has changed though since then. Moves have been made that equalise out the competition and I think if we made the title based on league performance there would be a battle between 2 or 3 sides right down to the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Well I recall us losing one to Wigan on points difference.
    Yeah in 92/93 season, and then in 93/94 Wigan again won on points difference after they finsihed level with Bradford and Warrington.

In The South Stand

It went to the last GAME in1996.

Starting A Programme Collection shabbashaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    It went to the last GAME in1996.
    It certainly did, I have just finished watching this game. Still gives me goosebumps and feels like yesterday, I was stood there watching us become the first ever Super League Champions.

I wish the play offs would go back to 6 teams. Seems a bit daft having 8 teams in it. Still unsure of why they decided to add another two teams into the mix.
    ONLY ONE STEVE PRESCOTT

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shabbashaz View Post
    Still unsure of why they decided to add another two teams into the mix.

Probably for one of two reasons......either it's because we increased from a 12 team to 14 team league.....or the one I prefer......because the Aussies changed to an 8 team play off
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post
    Probably for one of two reasons......either it's because we increased from a 12 team to 14 team league.....or the one I prefer......because the Aussies changed to an 8 team play off
    I just preferred it when it was 6 teams, just seems pointless adding another two. Wasn't keen on the grand final when they first brought it in, but it does add to the competition.
    ONLY ONE STEVE PRESCOTT

This topic seems to crop up at least 7/8 times a season! It's certainly a talking point that will always have its support and opposition.

For me play-offs is a good idea at the minute. Until we have a more challenging and entertaining league, then anything other than a play-off system would fail to hold the interest across the board.

The example of the Premier League shows that they can afford to have such a system. They have relegation to hold interest at the bottom, potential European football for mid-table teams/up to around 5th and then finally they have three/four challengers at the top going to win the league.

I just preferred it when it was 6 teams, just seems pointless adding another two. Wasn't keen on the grand final when they first brought it in, but it does add to the competition.

I love the concept of the Grand Final (not always the result lol)....but I'm still of the opinion that the team who finishes top should be crowned Champions. How many sports are there where the team or individual who finishes top ISN'T declared champion(s)
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I love the concept of the Grand Final (not always the result lol)....but I'm still of the opinion that the team who finishes top should be crowned Champions. How many sports are there where the team or individual who finishes top ISN'T declared champion(s)
    the thing is in this country there are only really 3 major team sports football, rugby and cricket
    rugby league and union - playoffs
    cricket - league
    football - league

on a foreign level
    america - baseball, basketball, ice hockey and NFL - all playoffs (albeit this because there's a lot of 'conferences' so they're equivalent to a champions league or europa league in football)
    australia - NRL, Aussie Rules and soccer

with regards to the playoffs, i think they certainly work, without them pretty much 10 teams have nothing to play for.. i just think the current system is not weighted to top of the league enough.. last season wigan were the prime example, finished top, lost against leeds, and leeds effectively took any advantage they had

The thing with the play offs though, is that to a certain degree, it almost makes the regular season games an irrelevance. Where every win was important to finish top, it's more about just keeping in contention until the play off games and then going all out for the final few games

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The thing with the play offs though, is that to a certain degree, it almost makes the regular season games an irrelevance. Where every win was important to finish top, it's more about just keeping in contention until the play off games and then going all out for the final few games
    i agree, until we get to a point where the top team is say 10 points ahead of the bottom team, we'll have a 'pre playoff friendlies' situation

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    i agree, until we get to a point where the top team is say 10 points ahead of the bottom team, we'll have a 'pre playoff friendlies' situation
    I know people will say "they all know the rules before the season starts"......but I just find it difficult to see how a team can finish in eighth place, lose more games than they win but still have a chance to be called Champions

I know people will say "they all know the rules before the season starts"......but I just find it difficult to see how a team can finish in eighth place, lose more games than they win but still have a chance to be called Champions
    That's what I don't like about it. Whoever wins the league should be champions, how it used to be. The Grand Final is a big occasion and a money spinner, but it just seems weird having 8 teams competing for it.
    ONLY ONE STEVE PRESCOTT

Got A Season Ticket the actual don johnson's Avatar

That's what I don't like about it. Whoever wins the league should be champions, how it used to be. The Grand Final is a big occasion and a money spinner, but it just seems weird having 8 teams competing for it.
    My original post said to keep the grand final but just make it so the top of the table club would play in the wcc...not to scrap the gf altogether. This is to reward the strongest team of the year and possibly give us a better chance at winning it. It may also prove more of an incentive to come top...