Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salford thoughts

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Default Salford thoughts

Firstly, and more importantly, a result that I would have snapped the hands off anyone who had offered it me even if I almost felt cheated that we didn't get 60.

LMS - Looked the part. Run hard, hurts the opposition and one great line break.

TP - Just getting better for me. Looked lazy in parts of 2009 but is now proving his worth.

Gardner - Well done that lad. taken a lot of criticism but fielded well overall despite one shaky moment.

Eastmond - Scored two. instrumental in two others and part of the many we bombed when 56-10 up. If we lose him it is a catastrophic blow, I don't care what anyone says!

In reality, we could and should have got 70+ plus today. We conceded too many points that is for sure but the majority of those were when we relaxed and the job was done. No inquisition necessary.

Well done Saints. Great two points and thoroughly deserved.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Firstly, and more importantly, a result that I would have snapped the hands off anyone who had offered it me even if I almost felt cheated that we didn't get 60.

LMS - Looked the part. Run hard, hurts the opposition and one great line break.

TP - Just getting better for me. Looked lazy in parts of 2009 but is now proving his worth.

Gardner - Well done that lad. taken a lot of criticism but fielded well overall despite one shaky moment.

Eastmond - Scored two. instrumental in two others and part of the many we bombed when 56-10 up. If we lose him it is a catastrophic blow, I don't care what anyone says!

In reality, we could and should have got 70+ plus today. We conceded too many points that is for sure but the majority of those were when we relaxed and the job was done. No inquisition necessary.

Well done Saints. Great two points and thoroughly deserved.
    The usual rational thoughts from you Dave, though I do have one question.

This lazy TP that you refer to. Is it Tony "I was Saints 2nd top meter maker in 2009" Puletua or Tony "I was 4th top meter maker out of all the forwards in SL in 2009" Puletua ?

Default Salford thoughts

After slating people for using stats, you are now using them to suit your argument. You can still be lazy whilst performing well. He clearly makes metres but takes the ball up less than he should. Perhaps if he was not lazy, he may have been the top metre maker.

Ps am talking about 09 here. Your stats prove nothing. I would envisage that if you looked at his number of carries and tackles for the same period that they would be quite low. Metres made are not the only factor if you are arguing against the accusation that a player is lazy. He could have been even more effective in 09.

I think the 22 points against were disappointing on the face of it but as well as the fact that we took the foot off the gas, you also have to remember the number of relatively inexperienced players we had on the field. Throw Wellens, Graham, Wheeler, Pryce, Perry etc into the mix and we are looking reasonably strong imo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    After slating people for using stats, you are now using them to suit your argument. You can still be lazy whilst performing well. He clearly makes metres but takes the ball up less than he should. Perhaps if he was not lazy, he may have been the top metre maker.

Ps am talking about 09 here. Your stats prove nothing. I would envisage that if you looked at his number of carries and tackles for the same period that they would be quite low. Metres made are not the only factor if you are arguing against the accusation that a player is lazy. He could have been even more effective in 09.
    Stats are useful for things you haven't seen yourself

Banned

Positives -
    A very good scoreline. Ok, Salford were poor, but given the second halfback pairing in as many weeks, plus Kyle's steady return to match fitness, plus the absence of Leon, Jammer and Wello in particular, plus having a couple of rookies on the pitch, I think it was a good effort all round to put so many on the board. We looked better in both defence and attack. A way to go yet before we hit our straps but the improvement was there. I found it difficult to choose three MoMs because I could have added Wilkin, especially in the first half, who seems to be responding well to where he is playing and Jamie Foster who continues to show real ability. Kyle was better this week than last, which is encouraging. He took on the line more, set up two tries and scored two and was generally trying to be a pest. Gardner's performance improved considerably from last week, which suggests he is beginning to work out his new partnership with Shenton, who impressed me this week. LMS worked hard and that break was great - he can really run!

Negatives -
    The last fifteen minutes. I know we were miles ahead but I think we should be making sure we show a killer instinct. We have the fitness levels now, that is clear, but without that willingness to finish off our opponents we could get caught out against the tougher teams, especially Leeds and Wigan. But hopefully Simmons will coach that attitude out of them and make them value the full 80 minutes regardless of the scoreline.

The moment of the match for me (no matter how insignificant it was) was when we were defending on our own line and Soliola made a hit on Parker which caused him to knock on. Every saints player rushed over and celebrated the good defence like it was a try. Really good to see and shows that Royce is really working on attitude in defence.

Summed the night up as well: a clinical team effort

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Every saints player rushed over and celebrated the good defence like it was a try. Really good to see and shows that Royce is really working on attitude in defence.
    That is something he has specifically mentioned isn't it? I remember him once saying that they will run 80 metres to celebrate a try but there is no reward when they have put in some really good defence. I didn't see the incident you mentioned - must have been nattering or something - but it is great to know that he is changing the culture in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Positives -
    A very good scoreline. Ok, Salford were poor, but given the second halfback pairing in as many weeks, plus Kyle's steady return to match fitness, plus the absence of Leon, Jammer and Wello in particular, plus having a couple of rookies on the pitch, I think it was a good effort all round to put so many on the board. We looked better in both defence and attack. A way to go yet before we hit our straps but the improvement was there. I found it difficult to choose three MoMs because I could have added Wilkin, especially in the first half, who seems to be responding well to where he is playing and Jamie Foster who continues to show real ability. Kyle was better this week than last, which is encouraging. He took on the line more, set up two tries and scored two and was generally trying to be a pest. Gardner's performance improved considerably from last week, which suggests he is beginning to work out his new partnership with Shenton, who impressed me this week. LMS worked hard and that break was great - he can really run!

Negatives -
    The last fifteen minutes. I know we were miles ahead but I think we should be making sure we show a killer instinct. We have the fitness levels now, that is clear, but without that willingness to finish off our opponents we could get caught out against the tougher teams, especially Leeds and Wigan. But hopefully Simmons will coach that attitude out of them and make them value the full 80 minutes regardless of the scoreline.
    errrrrr Salford were finished off after 30-40 minutes. No need to lengthen the injury list ahead of the Wire clash.

Like DD said I too would have been happy with any sort of win given we havent won there since 2007. Add to that we were missing both captains and Leon I think the result was fantastic even as bad as Salfoed were.

Another positive...we have James Roby, the lad just seems to get better and better with every game
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    errrrrr Salford were finished off after 30-40 minutes. No need to lengthen the injury list ahead of the Wire clash.
    Well, I'm not going to argue with you. I just hope we remember to be active in defence for the full 80 next week.

Another positive...we have James Roby, the lad just seems to get better and better with every game
    He is in his own class, is James Roby. He seems to have come into his own since taking on the 9 shirt. We are very fortunate to have a player of his quality and commitment in our team.

That is something he has specifically mentioned isn't it? I remember him once saying that they will run 80 metres to celebrate a try but there is no reward when they have put in some really good defence. I didn't see the incident you mentioned - must have been nattering or something - but it is great to know that he is changing the culture in that way.
    It was in the first half as it was Salford who were attacking where we were stood. Yep he did mention that attitude in defence needs to be better didn't he.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you. I just hope we remember to be active in defence for the full 80 next week.

He is in his own class, is James Roby. He seems to have come into his own since taking on the 9 shirt. We are very fortunate to have a player of his quality and commitment in our team.
    I'm sure we'll crank up the inensity levels in attack and defence for the full 80 next week
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Got A Season Ticket

3 try scoring opportunities thrown away:
    Meli dropping the ball with a 2 on 1 overlap in the first half!!!
    Lomax being too cute and trying to give Eastmond his hattrick in the second. Pass was interecepted!!!!
    Eastmond deciding not to use his pace and walk to the line with it at his mercy in the second half. Got tackled while tryting to offload!!!!

The latter 2 were showboating.... but in such an easy game I could understand.

Salford really are awful.
    I was expecting big ish things from them this year.
    Their fan base is pretty weak.
    Their coach is under pressure.
    Poor them.

Quote Originally Posted by superdom View Post
    Their coach is under pressure.
    That's an understatement! He had to be ushered off by a sea of men in orange at HT and FT

In The South Stand

A very poor Salford side,but take nothing away from saints.Last season Matty Smith killed us,Foster and Lomax had a nigtmare and we were clueless.What a difference 12 months make.I have a lot of confidence for this season,a lot more than i did this time last year.LMS and Shenton looking good,Wilkin like a new player at 13 and the team playing with a smile again.
    Get the injured players back and this is a very good team.My only problem is the Eastmond situation.If he leaves we can not go through the season without a scrumhalf,if he goes at the end of the season his mind wont be where it should be,and i cant see any good replacements available.A worry indeed

Noooobie

Thumbs up Salford thoughts

I th[nk it is very easy to get carried away with last nights performance, but it was a win. Two small incidents which caught my attention were firstly late in the 1st half Soliola was comimg back onthe field as a substitution. He sprinted flat out to get to the other side of the pitch and get involved in the action which I thought showed great attitude, The second incident was in the 2nd half we had just given a stupid try away from the kick off , and when we kicked off the chase was like an Olympic 100m final (slight exag.) particularly Wikins and Lee gaskell. The result was that General Patten cocked up and the ball flew into Gaskells hands and he went in for a well deserved try.
    These two incidents albeit small epitomised the excellent attitude of the players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    The usual rational thoughts from you Dave, though I do have one question.

This lazy TP that you refer to. Is it Tony "I was Saints 2nd top meter maker in 2009" Puletua or Tony "I was 4th top meter maker out of all the forwards in SL in 2009" Puletua ?
    It's one thing me and Dave differ on. I think TP is fantastic and has been a superb signing for us. Him and Graham have carried our pack for 2 years and it's good to finally see LMS and Perry on board to give them the pack that edge.

As for our performance, we looked alot sharper than we did in Cardiff and the amount of points scored will be a nice confidence booster for us. Hopefully Graham, Wellens and Pryce will return next week as we will take some stopping at the moment with those 3 added in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Some encouraging signs and with Perry and Graham added we appear to have a monster pack.

Another big plus from last night was the performance of some of the young lads. I though Lomax and Foster combined well taking the ball away from our line and I thought Lee Gaskell showed some nice touches and some pace.

Ade seems to have upped his game too, maybe he fully realises he needs to play to keep his shirt and good on him for working hard.

Positives -

Negatives -

I think we all sat back with half an hour to go waiting for the 70 or 80 points to be chalked up but lets face it with 50 on the board and half and hour remaining the game was well and tryly ' killed' . I think with the absentees we should be satisfied with what we have especially on a ground that we have traditionally struggled to put the opposition away on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I think we all sat back with half an hour to go waiting for the 70 or 80 points to be chalked up but lets face it with 50 on the board and half and hour remaining the game was well and tryly ' killed' . I think with the absentees we should be satisfied with what we have especially on a ground that we have traditionally struggled to put the opposition away on.
    I was perfectly satisfied, except for those final 15 minutes, which spoiled what was otherwise some great performances and some improvement on last week, which shows we are gelling as a team. On the Sky website, Simmons is quoted:

They moved past the half-century mark soon after the break before taking their foot off the gas, allowing Salford to score twice in the closing stages, much to the disappointment of their coach, Royce Simmons.

"We got into a comfortable lead and went away from what we were doing well," he said.

"I was particularly happy with the 20 minutes before half-time when we started to play some of the football I wanted us to play.

"I was a little disappointed with us letting in 22 points. We set ourselves a few targets at the start of the year and we conceded a few too many points."
    No different to what me and a few other people are saying really. Plenty of time to put it right.

In The West Stand

Well firstly, I dont recall slating someone for using stats. I have perhaps slated someone for using them badly, by all means show me where.

That aside, I would find it extremely hard to believe that a forward can make it into the top 4 meter makers in the entire league (for forwards) and be lazy. If he was a back then yes because you get meters for fielding kicks and making breaks.

Tony P in 2009 was brought in as a back row forward and had to fill in as a prop, he did excellent all things being considered.

Your stats prove nothing. I would envisage that if you looked at his number of carries and tackles for the same period that they would be quite low. Metres made are not the only factor if you are arguing against the accusation that a player is lazy. He could have been even more effective in 09.
    Those numbers however are proportional to the amount of time he was allowed to spend on the pitch. It is not unreasonable to suggest that even with gametime coming in spells he still managed to make huge meters. Thats far from being poor - not every prop has to be a 70minute+ James Graham.

Edit - Just had a quick look for 2009 and his total tackles was 545 compared to James Grahams 590. Theres another myth busted then

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's one thing me and Dave differ on. I think TP is fantastic and has been a superb signing for us. Him and Graham have carried our pack for 2 years and it's good to finally see LMS and Perry on board to give them the pack that edge.

We both know he's talking c**k lol

Default Salford game

anybody know why moore and scars were put on report for
    love lying under the SAINTS

Default Salford thoughts

No one is saying he is not effective, what myself and Dave are doubting are his ability to do so much more. At times he was lazy and looked disinterested. His skills have never been questioned.

LMS was awesome yesterday. really looking forward to what he will become. defo a big shout for an england call up

Gaskell impressed me again. keep it going lad. less worried now for when pryce is injured.