Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye, Knowsley Road

Starting A Programme Collection 100% Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    I went last wednesday and there were. One of them told me to see the site manager but i didnt.Perhaps they will let you in if you asked nicely?Can anyone confirm this as i may go back and try again.
    I'm sure that if you just ask and give the reason why you want to go inside they'll let you in providing your not going to steal anything, not that their is anything to steal, i can't imagine anyone going inside and then trying to drag the old scoreboard out.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

They've cut the trees down at the front now

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post

Glad I took a photo of them when I was in St.Helens at Christmas. I am surprised they have been allowed to cut down mature healthy trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post
    Sacrilege.

Thursday the 10th of February 2011 - a dark and grey day at KR...

It looks a little bare and desolate without the line of lovely trees. As was said earlier,it,s a sin.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

The end is drawing near for her now.

I went up before, parked up near the away end, I knew straight away I was on a hiding to nothing as there were loads of portakabins and lorries on site. I asked the security guard anyway, and he very politely said I can't go in because of health and safety reasons.

Lot of equipment on site now, I'd be surprised if work isn't about to start any day now to be honest. I hope so anyway. She looked sad, miserable and lonely. Put her out of her misery.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post

Glad I took a photo of them when I was in St.Helens at Christmas. I am surprised they have been allowed to cut down mature healthy trees.
    I actually thought it was a little daft, they were the most attractive part of the site, i'd have left them there (for now at least) to help sell the houses/ appartments

Starting A Programme Collection itwillalwaysbewithme's Avatar

I drove past before and seen the trees gone. Sad times indeed.
    itwillalwaysbewithme

Always your year

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

Just got a message from my sister saying the bulldozers have moved in at Knowsley Road.....looks like it's almost the end of the road :-(
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post
    Just got a message from my sister saying the bulldozers have moved in at Knowsley Road.....looks like it's almost the end of the road :-(
    Hope that we have managed or will manage to get our soil out first.

I've just been up there to see for myself and they haven't touched any of the building yet..... There are a couple of large diggers up near the restaurant, but don't know if they're for the training pitch rather than bringing the building down.
    It can't be too long now before it starts to come down :-(
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

Went past this afternoon 2 drilling rigs with the corkscrews on working on the training pitch loads of other equipment was being unloaded.

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

Just drove passed, the training pitch has virtually gone, an ominous looking crane is parked inside the stadium. The end is near and soon I feel.

I was talking to one of the Taylor Wimpey guys before and he told me that they were due to start with the demolition today and it should take about 3 months to complete. At the moment they're just assessing the best way to go about dismantling the old girl.
    They've been sorting out the asbestos inside the ground and it should be any day now where the demolition really starts. The scaffolding that held the big screen has already come down and they're filling in the mine shafts on the old training pitch with concrete

In The South Stand

They pulling down the terrace where the big screen stood.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

It's a shame and it's sad but I'm glad now.

I noticed they had taken the scaffolding down that housed the big screen....so they've started demolishing the terrace now ??

Noooobie

I noticed they had taken the scaffolding down that housed the big screen....so they've started demolishing the terrace now ??
    Drove past at 3pm today and they have started,SHE IS BEING KNOCKED DOWN.you can see through to away stands from big screen end!!

Banned

The offices have all come down apparently, according to some peeps I know who drove past today. And the training pitch is now being dug up. It looks a right mess it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    The offices have all come down apparently, according to some peeps I know who drove past today. And the training pitch is now being dug up. It looks a right mess it would seem.

The offices are still up as far as i'm aware....all that had been demolished was the corner where the big screen was. The restaurant and offices were all still standing at 3.30pm when i went past. As for the training pitch, that hadn't been dug up either, they've been filling in mine shafts with concrete underneath it

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

The offices are still up as far as i'm aware....all that had been demolished was the corner where the big screen was. The restaurant and offices were all still standing at 3.30pm when i went past. As for the training pitch, that hadn't been dug up either, they've been filling in mine shafts with concrete underneath it
    And herein lies the path to the destruction of our hallowed home. They're just making a way in for the devil to do his work of demolition. Hope it's not a Wigan demo company as I'd be gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by wardies love child View Post
    And herein lies the path to the destruction of our hallowed home. They're just making a way in for the devil to do his work of demolition. Hope it's not a Wigan demo company as I'd be gutted.
    Well it would be better than them having a hand in building the new one.

Banned

Well, the people who told me the offices were down went past at about 4.45. I can't verify their report though as I haven't been past myself since yesterday morning, when nothing seemed to be going on.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, the people who told me the offices were down went past at about 4.45. I can't verify their report though as I haven't been past myself since yesterday morning, when nothing seemed to be going on.
    I drove down Dunriding Lane at 5.15.
    Had read that things were moving, but only saw the tracked vehicles primed for action -with the exterior of the stadium still standing fairly proud.

However, whern I drive past it tomorrow, I expect to see a lot more carnage.