Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: It wont take a while - Eastmond

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Im not so sure that this is a clear cut as many would think at first. Jammer is undoubtedly a better player and a huge influence on the team. However prop is an easier position to replace, and Kyle Eastmond has what this team is desperately lacking.....pace. It is not as straightforward as declaring Jammer to be more important because he is better.
    Absolutely spot on.

In every game we have between two and four props. The average squad will have five of them. Whilst Graham is undoubtedly one of the best in the business, I don't think his loss would be the crushing blow everyone makes it out to be.

However, we only have one scrum half. We have virtually no other options and the game as a whole is desperately short of them. Plenty of people can offer the go forward and work rate of Graham (albeit on a lesser scale). I don't think anyone in our club can offer the turn of pace and the x factor that Eastmond has got. In fact, can we name anyone else in Super League who can, who would be available for us to sign.

If we have no Eastmond this year, we are in for a year of desperately dull rugby again with little or no half back invention. Ploughing it down the middle will be our only route to glory again.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Gerard Songsters Organiser

In fact, can we name anyone else in Super League who can, who would be available for us to sign
    Looking at sportinglife could there be any mileage in the Rangi Chase situation. If he were Hull bound (and I know Cas has quashed the rumour but in this day and age money talks and contracts don't mean a jot!) is there a half back who could be deemed surplus to requirement at Hull?? You know who I mean based on the 'Wizards Sleeve' post on the 'Longing to Return' thread. Whilst not a move I'd particularly advocate he can still do a job covering for Kyle if the price was right albeit it on a short term deal only.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    I said a while back that i regarded Warrigton as a more serious threat than union.

They have been trying to offload Myler in the pre season, and have been touting him round SL clubs. When this got out in the press, they issued a statement denying it.
    Now the only reason i can think of them wanting to offload a player who they signed 12 months ago, is that a better one is available and they are looking to bring that player in instead.
    Remember also that Briers is on his last legs, so they need a half badly.
    Wire cant rely on their youth setup because historically its been poor, its only in the last 18 months that they have started investing there, however juniors take time to come through. Hence Wires over relience on star signings.
    From Warrington press:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.u...ink/Page1.html

I'd be very surprised if they aren't sniffing around.............
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Default It wont take a while - Eastmond

Does the wage cap skip Warrington?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    Does the wage cap skip Warrington?
    Matt King is expected to leave at the end of the season. That frees up a huge wedge. Now add onto that the fact Briers will be packing in and thats more money spare.

Wire could probably offer a lot lot more than Saints

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Matt King is expected to leave at the end of the season. That frees up a huge wedge. Now add onto that the fact Briers will be packing in and thats more money spare.

Richie myler ?

Learning All The Songs

If Eastmond wants to leave, then i'd rather make his intentions clear before the season starts. There is no point having a player (albeit a potentially a good one) who wants?? to •••• off playing a girls game for a fat wedge of cash. Nothing worse than having someone who doesn't want to work for you.

Richie Myler is over-rated, no better than average at best.
    CSM Services for all your Fork-Lift Truck requirements.

Ring me, Peter or Jim on 01257 424548.lol

Got A Season Ticket Driftking78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post
    Richie myler ?
    Was the best around when they signed him according to most Warrington fans.. Funny how things turn out.
    Warrington are the Man City of rugby. Trying to buy all the stars because there owner has money...
    They will be linked to alot more players & im expecting Graham to be the next one linked with them..

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driftking78 View Post
    Was the best around when they signed him according to most Warrington fans.. Funny how things turn out.
    Warrington are the Man City of rugby. Trying to buy all the stars because there owner has money...
    They will be linked to alot more players & im expecting Graham to be the next one linked with them..
    Even Warrington have to live within the salary cap, and having two top earning 7's in a squad isn't feasable. Wire couldn't offload myler either, noone else would pay his high wages and he's got a solid contract! They're stuck with him

Learning All The Songs HitTheWall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driftking78 View Post
    Graham was linked with him at the end of 2009 season, Wire fans got all excited and then Jammer come out and rubbished it. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour circulates again, but if Graham leaves Saints it would only be for the NRL I'd imagine.
    "If you think training is hard, try losing"

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post
    Richie myler ?
    No way.

I've never been a fan of Myler and never seen anything that he offers other than an average support play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HitTheWall View Post
    Graham was linked with him at the end of 2009 season, Wire fans got all excited and then Jammer come out and rubbished it. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour circulates again, but if Graham leaves Saints it would only be for the NRL I'd imagine.
    Quite true

I doubt that with the new ruling with regards to disregarding 50K for salary cap purposes for the highest paid young talent that comes through academy. Wire still have to work to the same cap as us regardless of how much money they have.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    No way.

I've never been a fan of Myler and never seen anything that he offers other than an average support play.
    and yet in the same number of games as Kyle last year he had the same assists and same number of trys. He is not as bad as some suggest.

Got A Season Ticket

I read elsewhere that Bath have said that they feel that he would slot into their back line 'seamlessly'. I doubt that anyone at Bath knows much about RL. They have a reputation of being a bit snobby even for rah rah. However, there are a few things that Kyle and the Bath club might consider. He is too small to play anywhere in union other than as a fly half. As yet no convert to union has been a success in that position, but there are two outstanding failiures. Henry Paul and Iestyn Harris were both established stand offs in RL but failed to transfer successfully to union.
    Another problem for Kyle should he go to Bath is the pitch. The ground is next to a river which overflows regularly in winter. Consequently the pitch is often ankle deep in mud. That will be new to Kyle and will almost certainly slow him down. So forget those syntillating breaks and become just another ball distributor.
    Better to continue what you know Kyle. And please stop acting like a football prima donna.

Learning All The Songs Barney Rubble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Saint View Post
    I read elsewhere that Bath have said that they feel that he would slot into their back line 'seamlessly'. I doubt that anyone at Bath knows much about RL. They have a reputation of being a bit snobby even for rah rah. However, there are a few things that Kyle and the Bath club might consider. He is too small to play anywhere in union other than as a fly half. As yet no convert to union has been a success in that position, but there are two outstanding failiures. Henry Paul and Iestyn Harris were both established stand offs in RL but failed to transfer successfully to union.
    Another problem for Kyle should he go to Bath is the pitch. The ground is next to a river which overflows regularly in winter. Consequently the pitch is often ankle deep in mud. That will be new to Kyle and will almost certainly slow him down. So forget those syntillating breaks and become just another ball distributor.
    Better to continue what you know Kyle. And please stop acting like a football prima donna.
    I read that Brad Davies is there....He was a decent rl player that'll know a thing or two ?
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

Learning All The Songs Chris Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    and yet in the same number of games as Kyle last year he had the same assists and same number of trys. He is not as bad as some suggest.
    Admittedly those stats are impressive but it would be interesting to see how many of his tries were from taking the final pass after someone else made the break/put the kick in?? Certainly the majority of Kyle's tries were from his own initial bursts or sidestep etc... those stats also don't take into account how many games Kyle was an injured passenger (Leeds, Cas, Crusaders) however they are very comparable

While it is only one mans opinion, it was noticable that the man who picked Eastmond over Myler for the England team in 2009, also dropped a fit Myler from Warrington's first team in 2010 when the games got important. He is undoubtably a superb support player, similar to a young Shaun Edwards always on the shoulder of the break, and he does possess decent pace but he doesn't offer the rest, for now at least.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Saint View Post
    Admittedly those stats are impressive but it would be interesting to see how many of his tries were from taking the final pass after someone else made the break/put the kick in?? Certainly the majority of Kyle's tries were from his own initial bursts or sidestep etc... those stats also don't take into account how many games Kyle was an injured passenger (Leeds, Cas, Crusaders) however they are very comparable

While it is only one mans opinion, it was noticable that the man who picked Eastmond over Myler for the England team in 2009, also dropped a fit Myler from Warrington's first team in 2010 when the games got important. He is undoubtably a superb support player, similar to a young Shaun Edwards always on the shoulder of the break, and he does possess decent pace but he doesn't offer the rest, for now at least.
    without a doubt, FWIW I think Eastmond is better but I was just using it to illustrate that perhaps Myler isnt as bad as some suggest.

In The South Stand

Earlier in the week I was talking to a person closely connected to the club who intimated that Kyle would be off to Bath as they had made him a very good offer and it would be difficult for Saints to match it.