Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we afford to keep Kyle ?

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Default Can we afford to keep Kyle ?

According to todays reporter Eammon will use 'all his persuasive powers' to keep Eastmond,whether Kyle wants to go to Union or is just using it to boost his contract I don't know but if we try to compete with Union clubs it will take a massive chunk of our salary cap,we musn't let the standard of the squad suffer to accomodate one player who IMO cost us last season with his inability to stay fit which unfortunatley I can see that continuing next season.
    It's a shame as Kyle is a cracking little talent and a bit dissapointing as the club have given him his big break over the last couple of years(injury plagued I may add) and trusted him with taking over from Longy,so to hear about him strutting around Bath doesn't sit to well with me,loyalty works both ways and as Kyle doesn't seem to be showing much loyalty to Saints I would consider cashing in now rather than lose him for nothing but then we have no scrum half?,not a good way to start the season really.

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

good post that mate
    im in the middle when it comes to kyle
    not sure if i want him or not
    not sure if hes that good or not
    yes he shows us touches of genius but is that enough?
    and as you stated loyalty works both ways as he'll find out if he stays
    some fans may turn against him and some may thank him for staying
    no one is bigger than the club as someone once said
    "you dont need to win trophies to be successful..........."

Sir Rafael Benitez

Got A Replica Shirt

It goes without saying that the lad has great talent. If we can keep him at the right price then that would be great but from what he has shown to date we should certainly not be breaking the bank for him. If we had a full season out of him playing like he did before injury struck then my opinion may be different as he showed at times how devastating he can be.

My biggest concern about him is the size of his heart. He appeared to take knocks last season that really put him off his game and after 30 mins sulking he went off. That may sound a little harsh as they could have been serious injuries but when things dont work for him he always seems to have a limp! He is like Wheeler in that sense they seem to be made of glass these young lads. When you consider we are looking for him to replace Longy in that position I seem to remember Longy being a bit more robust at a young age. (Maybe it is time playing tricks with my mind)

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

I have to say the lad has a lot of promise and his talent is visible for all to see.

My big concern is he never seems happy on the pitch now that he's the first choice number 7. The fun and relaxed attitude of that good friday against Wigan 2 seasons ago when he scored that fantastic try seems to have gone and an air of arrogance replacing it.

For me I'd say cash in and look for a number 7 with some loyalty to the club and fans.

Was working near Leighs ground yesterday and saw James Graham in his sponsored land rover followed by 2 other cars and then a 1 series white BMW being driven by Mr Eastmond. I'm not 100% sure it was him but I was quite close and am pretty convinced it was him. They had come away from an all weather pitch and leisure centre close to the ground so I guess they were doing a bit of training there for themselves or may have been just relaxing. Thing is, if it was Kyle, his cast or whatever must be off because I don't think he'd be able to drive with that boot he had on just before Christmas.
    Don't think this has much to do with this thread but he must be back in training if it was him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

He would be welcome at full back for Liverpool !

Having said all that you must keep your best talent within reason.The only thing I would hope to happen is that Kyle is up front with the club about his intentions.So we are not left in the lurch.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Harri81 View Post
    For me I'd say cash in and look for a number 7 with some loyalty to the club and fans.
    Bit harsh that - nobody is bagging Jammer/Pryce for not signing a new contract, nor were they having a go at Roby who only recently signed. It's only because Kyle is such a talented player that people get upset and question his loyalty.

If we can afford to keep him without paying silly money - fab. If not, hey-ho, let's have a look at Gaskell.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Bit harsh that - nobody is bagging Jammer/Pryce for not signing a new contract, nor were they having a go at Roby who only recently signed. It's only because Kyle is such a talented player that people get upset and question his loyalty.

If we can afford to keep him without paying silly money - fab. If not, hey-ho, let's have a look at Gaskell.
    exactly. why is there not a constant stream of threads on here berating Jammer, who has openly said he is looking at leaving the club? Kyle is only doing what is best for him, and what anyone would do in his situation.

If he chooses to leave at the end of 2011, whether it be to Bath, Sale, Australia, Wigan or whever, then good luck to him. The grass isnt always greener. However, as long as he gives 100% for Saints in his last year.

FWIW I fully expect him to sign a new contract, for at least 3 years. It will be a great shame for this club to lose out on a player of his talent wherever he goes.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

I think that there's a bit difference between the 3 you mention and Eastmond and that is respect. Graham, Roby and Pryce have all earned it, done the hard yards and have proven themselves to be key components in a successful side. How many can say the same about Kyle ?? He has that primadona arrogance without having done it. I think that what grates most....oh along with having the agent that he's got. Imagine his smug arrogance if his client got a more lucrative deal whilst leaving Saints in the lurch.

Learning All The Songs

I can`t believe the hostility some of our supporters have towards Kyle, blaming him for last season`s lack of trophies because he was injured is daft to say the least. The lad is looking at his options for his future and i hope he stays.

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TW2 Saint View Post
    I think that there's a bit difference between the 3 you mention and Eastmond and that is respect. Graham, Roby and Pryce have all earned it, done the hard yards and have proven themselves to be key components in a successful side. How many can say the same about Kyle ?? He has that primadona arrogance without having done it. I think that what grates most....oh along with having the agent that he's got. Imagine his smug arrogance if his client got a more lucrative deal whilst leaving Saints in the lurch.
    Well said and exactly what i was alluding to, at no point in my other post did I mention money, holding out for a better deal etc. A rugby players career is short and players need to look out for their best interests. We all know the passion James Graham, roby etc has for the team, you see that on a week in week out basis. If they get offered a better deal else where and saints can't match it then it'll be a sad loss for us all but that's reality.

With Kyle however what I said was the character that burst onto the scene in 2009 has changed and it's more of a premadonna and arrogant persona being shown. He is a great talent and definately one for the future, however the sense of loyalty and passion for the club we see with other players is not visible.

Once again holding out for a better contract is not the issue, but it's a two way street, if you want the big money etc put the effort in.

In The South Stand

I think that there's a bit difference between the 3 you mention and Eastmond and that is respect. Graham, Roby and Pryce have all earned it, done the hard yards and have proven themselves to be key components in a successful side. How many can say the same about Kyle ?? He has that primadona arrogance without having done it.
    He scored all our points in our best GF performance in recent years and backed it up by being a stand out in the Tri-Nations. He was also excellent at the start of this season before he got injured (with people criticising him for making injuries up, despite him having operations on his ankle!)

When he's on the pitch and p[laying well for Saints, our fans are the first to spout about "all good scrum halves have that bit of arrogance about them", then when he's injured everyone jumps down his throat because of it.

I think that what grates most....oh along with having the agent that he's got. Imagine his smug arrogance if his client got a more lucrative deal whilst leaving Saints in the lurch.
    Think you might be a bit behind the times here.

The difference with Roby/Jammer/Pryce is that union haven't been actively sniffing around like they have for Kyle. He may well sign a long contract, in which case all the sniping about his loyalty "to the club and the fans" is just b*llocks. KC is a hero, but he wasn't averse to playing the same game if it suited him to do so.

If it was Wests Tigers rather than Bath sniffing around him, I doubt he would be copping all this flak. Fact is, union wouldn't look once, never mind twice, at Jammer so he's spared that sort of bile.

Hate to see him leave the club, he is a talent of talents. This bloke in yoru club for a 10 year spell can only boost our chances of trophy glory, even at his young age he is supreme, so can only get better. Make him stay Eamon, give the lad a sponsored car, nice house, and a clothing allowance for OD's and he will sign.

SAY YES !
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Default Eastmond signs new St Helens deal

Not really, but how did this headline grab you?

How did it make you feel?

Is your gut reaction, the immediate emotional feeling you got the same as many of the rational thoughts that have been written on Kyles future.

I really hope I can post this headline if and when it actually happens.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Well I would like us to keep hold of our best players. Didn't make me as happy as say if Jammer had signed on but I'd be happy cos I'd like Kyle to stay.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Annoyed me, I want him to join a rugby union club, he is better at union than league, FACT !
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

I think it's fair to say this thread has annoyed me!

I appreciate the angle your going on but for those like me who'd really like to see this headline finding out it isn't actually the case isn't any fun.

Starting A Programme Collection Bainsey's Avatar

Delighted but now I know it's not true it's made me annoyed and now I will have to kill you...

Got A Season Ticket the actual don johnson's Avatar

with regards to him being arrogant he does sometimes come acros this way but i think i remember longy talking about him saying he was a very grounded individual with his head screwed on. this was when i think long got injured and kyle was covering for him? has anybody actually spoken to the lad and seen what he's like. people can look to give a different persona to who they actually are.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Like what you did there! Yeah, like most sane saints fans i'd be very happy if it happened. To me though his contract is only of number two importance behind Jammer

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post
    Like what you did there! Yeah, like most sane saints fans i'd be very happy if it happened. To me though his contract is only of number two importance behind Jammer
    I don't know if it's a contraversial opinion but i'm of a different opinion. Now let me clarify before saying this, James graham is a world class prop - possibly the best there is, but I generally believe that it is easier to replace a forward than a half back.

I'm resigned to Graham leaving whereas there are still chances that we'll keep Eastmond.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the actual don johnson View Post
    with regards to him being arrogant he does sometimes come acros this way but i think i remember longy talking about him saying he was a very grounded individual with his head screwed on. this was when i think long got injured and kyle was covering for him? has anybody actually spoken to the lad and seen what he's like. people can look to give a different persona to who they actually are.
    I always read this "he's arrogant" "he has no loyally" etc etc. Yet nobody has given me a good enough reason why they say that? The fact is last season up until his run of injuries he was scoring pretty much a try a game. I'm sure he's not "faked" any injuries, watching him trying t stay on at Celtic shows how much he wanted to play on..

the fact is we have no idea of the extent of the talks with bath. Was it a phonecall from them to his agent where bath asked "would Kyle be interested in union" and the reply may have been "he's contracted to saints for another year, he wants to stay at saints, but we'll talk later in the year" or it could've been a full on offer?

nor saints or Kyle's agent have give any indication of their intentions for next season

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsey View Post
    Delighted but now I know it's not true it's made me annoyed and now I will have to kill you...
    Ooohh eck, apologies!

Starting A Programme Collection

Someone please change the title of this thread.

Learning All The Songs The Hoss's Avatar

I hate you lol
    St. Helens RLFC.... Its your team... And your team needs YOU! :saint: