Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: St George supporters coming over from Oz

Starting A Programme Collection

When I was in there a few weeks before Christmas I think they were talking about coaches leaving about 6.50pm from the George if I remember rightly. I'm sure the guy I was talking to said they hoped to offer return transport a pint and a pie for a fiver all in which ain't bad value fro money.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STG_MACCA View Post
    I am told it's about £25 in a Taxi from Liverpool to St.Helens, if that's accurate we will settle with that. Just need to know what time the bus to Widnes would anticipate leaving so we can work out if we will have time to visit pre match.
    For the day you have planned I would do this mate.

Get train from Mancs to Liverpool.

Bail off the train into 2 black cabs and shout "Anfield stadium cobber" at the driver. (will cost about £12 for both cabs)

After you have been around Anfield get 2 black cabs back to Liverpool Lime Street Station.

Get on the train to St Helens Central.

Get off train - walk 2 minutes - voila you are in the George.

Easy peasy yer big galah

Useful websites;

www.nationalrail.co.uk

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/travel

After the match you can catch a train direct from Widnes to Manchester City Centre. If you are staying at the Ibis on Princes Street I can recommend the Indian restaurant in the same building

www.eastzeast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoggy View Post
    For the day you have planned I would do this mate.

Get train from Mancs to Liverpool.

Bail off the train into 2 black cabs and shout "Anfield stadium cobber" at the driver. (will cost about £12 for both cabs)

After you have been around Anfield get 2 black cabs back to Liverpool Lime Street Station.

Get on the train to St Helens Central.

Get off train - walk 2 minutes - voila you are in the George.

Easy peasy yer big galah

Useful websites;

www.nationalrail.co.uk

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/travel

After the match you can catch a train direct from Widnes to Manchester City Centre. If you are staying at the Ibis on Princes Street I can recommend the Indian restaurant in the same building

www.eastzeast.com
    Excellent, sounds like a plan.
    As for the Indian, I dunno I am a pussy with spicy food hahaha but thanks for the advice.

Cheers
    Macca

Noooobie

your doing the anfield stadium tour on the friday? why not go to the uefa cup game on the thursday instead against sparta prague and expierence a proper atmosphere in the kop ? some will probably go on general sale and only been £20 a ticket in europa so far this season drop us a pm if you wanna know anymore

Quote Originally Posted by LEE View Post
    your doing the anfield stadium tour on the friday? why not go to the uefa cup game on the thursday instead against sparta prague and expierence a proper atmosphere in the kop ?
    Yes, all that booing should prepare them for watching Saints.

Thanks for the tip (and keep them coming if there is any more).

Unfortunately, I only land from Australia on the Friday morning, so I can't make the UEFA match. The Major and a few others are going to try get tickets so they may PM you. The Kop in full flight would be unreal.

We have scored tickets to the ManU V Wigan match on Saturday afternoon in Wigan, and will most likely go to the Man City V Fullham match on the Monday night.
    I wish I could have stayed longer, but I am getting married this year and I have used up all of my excuses for 2011 getting to the UK for the WCC lol I still have a honeymoon to cover later in the year :-)

Cheers

Starting A Programme Collection

Any where in mind for pre match pints prior to the Wigan v Utd game?

Got A Season Ticket

Thanks for the tip (and keep them coming if there is any more).

Unfortunately, I only land from Australia on the Friday morning, so I can't make the UEFA match. The Major and a few others are going to try get tickets so they may PM you. The Kop in full flight would be unreal.

We have scored tickets to the ManU V Wigan match on Saturday afternoon in Wigan, and will most likely go to the Man City V Fullham match on the Monday night.
    I wish I could have stayed longer, but I am getting married this year and I have used up all of my excuses for 2011 getting to the UK for the WCC lol I still have a honeymoon to cover later in the year :-)

Cheers
    I'd catch the Stagecoach 17 from Queen Square Bus Station to Anfield stops outside the Kop stand, every 7/8 min Mon to Sat daytime, http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/pdf/t...%202011%29.pdf
    This is the last play, Long, kicks it wide to Iro, Iro to Hall, Hall is trapped, back it goes to Hoppe, over the shoulder to Hall, there is Jonkers, here is Long and Long fancies it, Long fancies it, it's wide to West, it's wide to West, Dwayne West, inside to Joynt, Joynt, JOYNT, JOYNT!, OH, OH!
    They've won it, they've won it, they've won it. Chris Joynt; Chris Joynt has won it. It is unbelievable here, it is, frankly, unbelievable. Chris Joynt has won the match for St Helens.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Any where in mind for pre match pints prior to the Wigan v Utd game?
    The Anvil, just behind the Parish Church and close to the bus station would be a good bet, and only a 15 minute walk to the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The Anvil, just behind the Parish Church and close to the bus station would be a good bet, and only a 15 minute walk to the stadium.
    Thats if you know the back street routes, meandering round side streets and industrial estates, before crossing the canal.

For someone unfamiliar with Wigan it would be more like a 30 to 40 minute walk along the main roads

What about after the match? What do you lot then do? Back to the George? Do the players go anywhere for post match functions??

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Thats if you know the back street routes, meandering round side streets and industrial estates, before crossing the canal.

For someone unfamiliar with Wigan it would be more like a 30 to 40 minute walk along the main roads
    Ah but the Latics are playing Man U, so there may be some Wigan based fans actually going, so just follow them. Not sure which team they'll be supporting though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Major View Post
    What about after the match? What do you lot then do? Back to the George? Do the players go anywhere for post match functions??
    When Saints played at Knowsley road people would tend to go in the Black Bull pub next to the ground pre and post match. Its a really big pub and had a massive beer Garden/bowling green at the rear.

However Knowsley road our ancestral home is being turned into a housing estate, so for 2011 Saints are homeless and are playing in Widnes while the new stadium is built.

Its likely that in 2012 when the new stadium opens, that "The George" will become a popular venue for fans to meet up pre and post game. However its only a small pub tucked away in a corner of the town centre, so cant really cater for huge numbers of fans. The place looks full with just 50 people in it.

However for 2011 we are lost souls.
    I suspect some people will go to The George, especially those getting a coach to Widnes from there.
    However others are just as likely to head home, or just stay out round St.Helens town centre and the other pubs.

The Kop in full flight would be unreal.
    They will be lucky to get a crowd of 30,000. Hardly a great game for you to attend. The Europa League is a tin pot trophy!

Incidentally Gray77 is famous on the St George forums. STG MACCA has a quote from Gray as his signature!! Nice one pal.

Noooobie

The George is basically a terraced house masquerading as a pub. Shame the Aussie fans don't have a better watering hole to come to, IMO.

That maybe the case the Europa league being a tincup farce. But have you seen our domestic soccer competition?? Your 5th grade league would be much more inspiring. Im not much of a fan of the round ball game. Im just more keen to go and murder as many pints as possible and listen to the crowd and hear YNWA sung by a big crowd in person.

Never mind the size of the George i reckon. The pub, the Royal, where we drink near our home ground at Kogarah Jubilee isnt much on the large side either. But serves it purpose when we get the patrons into a few songs as the opposition fans walk past or drop in for a bevvy. As long as i can find a pub with a bunch of people where i can get an "oh when the saints" chant going, im happy!

So lads, after the experience at Widnes on the weekend, do you have any new advice for us?

Thanks

Learning All The Songs Barney Rubble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Major View Post
    That maybe the case the Europa league being a tincup farce. But have you seen our domestic soccer competition?? Your 5th grade league would be much more inspiring. Im not much of a fan of the round ball game. Im just more keen to go and murder as many pints as possible and listen to the crowd and hear YNWA sung by a big crowd in person.
    I could put you on to a few nice boozers where a couple of LFC loving mates go to on a game night if you want ? Different to rugby boozers !
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

I reckon the Dragons have Wigan beat before they even turn up at the DW judging by the shocker of a jersey the Warriors have got together for the match:

http://store.wiganwarriors.com/world...and-white.html

I'm coming to the conclusion that someone in the Kooga design department really doesn't like the Pies!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by foozler View Post
    I reckon the Dragons have Wigan beat before they even turn up at the DW judging by the shocker of a jersey the Warriors have got together for the match:

http://store.wiganwarriors.com/world...and-white.html

I'm coming to the conclusion that someone in the Kooga design department really doesn't like the Pies!!!
    W... T... F...????? That just needs some pink flowers, lilac cat silhouettes and maybe a few rainbow patches sown on it to complete the effect that I think they were looking for to make the Pies look like a bunch of Brownies on the day. Does it come with a matching sucky blanket and Hannah Montana satchel?

There must definitely be a Saints fan working undercover in the the Kooga shirt design department - there is no other possible explanation for the cringeworthy abominations the Goons will sheepishly be having to kick and chase around the field in this year.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

I will scrub my mouth out later, but I quite like it. It's seriously USA

lol
    It's the shorts that I think are OTT

Last edited by Two Wheeled Saint; 25th January 2011 at 15:44.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    I will scrub my mouth out later, but I quite like it. It's seriously USA
    lol
    It's the shorts that I think are OTT

Ah, I was wondering why the tops had that full face white hoody on them...

Good news. We've managed to secure tickets to your game vs Warrigton! We'll be in the Eastern Stand. We will be meeting you all at the George Hotel beforehand most definitely. How do we go about getting onto one of these coaches heading to the game? Will we be better heading back to the George after to celeberate or best staying in Widnes for a bit or just head back to Manchester and get on it there?