Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: St George supporters coming over from Oz

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Good use of pictures there. I could just as easily produce a picture of the Lake District/Cotswolds etc and compare it to a shitty town in Australia.

People like you make me laugh, you emigrate but still feel fit to slag off your roots. A couple of my mates live in Oz and NZ but just enjoy their life without feeling the need to brag or to denigrate others. Lets face it, the big draw is the climate and even then its not always rosy. Am sure the people of Queensland and Brisbane will testify to that.

I am a well travelled person who has also lived in London for a few years also so don't tar me with someone who has never left St Helens. I could emigrate tomorrow but appreciate my close family and mates and have a great social life that means I don't miss the idea of moving. If it suits you great, but stop finding ways of putting the boot in when there are others who are naturally proud of their roots.

If Australia's climate was like ours, it would be nothing like the same.

Oh I will say one thing, the food must be great over there as judging by the pics you post, you certainly eat enough of it.
    I think if you read my posts on this thread, I haven't been slagging off St Helens. In my first post, I only used the word 'escape' which everyone else with views appears to have jumped on. I also suggested in part that I had feelings for one of the other posters views without adding my own slagging. In fact in that reply, to the poster that said, "St Helens is a horrible dump" I actually said that that is not the words I would use. In a thread that had gone way off topic my joke was to compare and contrast WIDNES with St George - again not slagging St Helens.

Do I think St Helens is an industrial hole when I walk round there on a wet Thursday afternoon looking at women/girls wearing a dirty track suit with fag in one hand and pie in the other pushing two kids round in a pram (both from different unknown fathers), well 'yes' I do.

Is St Helens a reasonable northern town on a typical Saturday morning when there is a more mix of young, middle age, old folk, employeed and unemployed. Well yes again.
    Last edited by Red_V_Roger; 13th January 2011 at 03:32.
    Gone Walkabout...

Quote Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger View Post
    I think if you read my posts on this thread, I haven't been slagging off St Helens. In my first post, I only used the word 'escape' which everyone else with views appears to have jumped on. I also suggested in part that I had feelings for one of the other posters views without adding my own slagging. In fact in that reply, to the poster that said, "St Helens is a horrible dump" I actually said that that is not the words I would use. In a thread that had gone way off topic my joke was to compare and contrast WIDNES with St George - again not slagging St Helens.

Do I think St Helens is an industrial hole when I walk round there on a wet Thursday afternoon looking at women/girls wearing a dirty track suit with fag in one hand and pie in the other pushing two kids round in a pram (both from different unknown fathers), well 'yes' I do.

Is St Helens a reasonable northern town on a typical Saturday morning when there is a more mix of young, middle age, old folk, employeed and unemployed. Well yes again.
    Am not talking about St Helens per se, I have not lived there (well Haydock) for 14 yrs. I know it has its major share of problems like many other urban towns throughout the country. What riles me is when ex pats criticise the country as a whole when England as a country has lots to offer. It has some of the most stunning scenery and countryside in the world and in a city like London, has something that is revered the world over.

Thousands of Aussies and Kiwis come over here every year so it can't be that bad. People who move to Oz make out as though it is the be all and end all of the universe. All I am saying is that its major draw is the climate. Take that away and what's so special? The outdoor life is through the weather, the barbies are because of the weather etc.

Some parts of Sydney are shitholes, yet this is conveniently forgotten when people talk about Oz. I have no problems at all when peolpe want to move for what they consider to be a better life and good luck to them, its just when they feel fit to slag off their roots at any opportunity that annoys me.

It won't let me edit my posts, but what I also wanted to say was the fact that Australia has crime and also chavs. St Helens is not a fair representation of the whole of the UK and what that has to offer.

Am not talking about St Helens per se, I have not lived there (well Haydock) for 14 yrs. I know it has its major share of problems like many other urban towns throughout the country. What riles me is when ex pats criticise the country as a whole when England as a country has lots to offer. It has some of the most stunning scenery and countryside in the world and in a city like London, has something that is revered the world over.

Thousands of Aussies and Kiwis come over here every year so it can't be that bad. People who move to Oz make out as though it is the be all and end all of the universe. All I am saying is that its major draw is the climate. Take that away and what's so special? The outdoor life is through the weather, the barbies are because of the weather etc.

Some parts of Sydney are shitholes, yet this is conveniently forgotten when people talk about Oz. I have no problems at all when peolpe want to move for what they consider to be a better life and good luck to them, its just when they feel fit to slag off their roots at any opportunity that annoys me.
    Whatever mate...like I say my joke pictures made me the most stand out post...but it was people a lot closer to home slagging St Helens off. Anyway, I'm off back to the BBQ...can't let all this good Aussie food go to waste.
    Gone Walkabout...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sydney2002 View Post
    Yeah, but its a shyt home isnt it , nowt like yer penthouse in Richmond, and your winter house in Windsor.
    Winter house is actually Eton, but close enough cockle!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoggy View Post
    Winter house is actually Eton, but close enough cockle!
    I cant say ETON, not since Squire Wilson-Ellison who was head master at the school banned me back in 1984, sold the house, sold the stables, sold the 3 shops and even sold the water taxi service we had down there... ETON stinks !
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Got A Season Ticket the actual don johnson's Avatar

We emmigrated to oz when I was 6 and moved back a year later. My dad missed his family and my parents always say that the weather is warm but often it's so warm that you can't even sit out, you have to stay inside where its cooler. then there's the issues with the mozzies which arr just horrendous. i remember being eaten alive on certain days, afraid to go out.

I am really pleased they came back actually and never consider how different my life might be if we had stayed. We came back to st helens and we all still live there now.

Guys, how many kms or time is St Helens/the George and DW Stadium away from Manchester? We will be staying there and would love to find out how far we have to go and how long it will take. We're planning on checking out the St Helens shop and would love to have a beer with you lot at the George! Then maybe hitch a ride to the WCC. A nice warmup in a pub full of northern and southern Saints fans would be a great way to start off the day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Major View Post
    Guys, how many kms or time is St Helens/the George and DW Stadium away from Manchester? We will be staying there and would love to find out how far we have to go and how long it will take. We're planning on checking out the St Helens shop and would love to have a beer with you lot at the George! Then maybe hitch a ride to the WCC. A nice warmup in a pub full of northern and southern Saints fans would be a great way to start off the day!
    Depends on how you'll be getting here. It's about half an hour (on a very good day) by car, but it could be easily an hour, if you're not renting a car, don't get a taxi because it it'll set you back a fair bit. The best bet is by train. See which Manchester station you are nearest to, and go on 'thetrainline.com' and search to st Helens central, that's for the club shop and for the George. I'm sure if you arranged a night to come down, bert will put something on for you. Trains will be about 9quid return and are easy enough.

Just a tip - if you decided to stay in St Helens at all, the Park Inn (operated by Radisson) is about your best/only bet for hotel level accomodation. They are doing rooms at GBP56 at the moment, which given the current exchange rate is cheap as.

There are 'travel lodges' somewhere in between our hotel/motels, but they are all rather out of the centre - much better deal saying at the Park Inn. Note this is not to be confused with "The Park View Hotel' on Prescot Road in St Helens, which is somewhere completely different.
    Gone Walkabout...

Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington? Theres a few of us who'd want to go and we'd all love to sit together (ie, if its all reserved seating? Or is it just general admin in some parts and sit where u like?). We have been discussing starting off at the George before the WCC match but our travelling arrangements we have made already appears to negate that option. If we get tickets to your game then we'd be ready to rock n roll at the George before and after with you lot. If you'll have us of course!

Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington? Theres a few of us who'd want to go and we'd all love to sit together (ie, if its all reserved seating? Or is it just general admin in some parts and sit where u like?). We have been discussing starting off at the George before the WCC match but our travelling arrangements we have made already appears to negate that option. If we get tickets to your game then we'd be ready to rock n roll at the George before and after with you lot. If you'll have us of course!
    PM Saints Media Manager on here.

Are you guys bringing your banners over? Be good to meet up and get your banners alongside ours in the ground.

Banned

Just a tip - if you decided to stay in St Helens at all, the Park Inn (operated by Radisson) is about your best/only bet for hotel level accomodation. They are doing rooms at GBP56 at the moment, which given the current exchange rate is cheap as.
    To be fair, there is also The Thistle Hotel in Haydock which is a four star hotel and nicer than the Park Inn, although less central. (Incidentally, the Park Inn was in administration for about a year and has just been bought by an Asian company) Having said that, it is located near the East Lancs Road, which would mean a straightforward journey by car to Wigan and indeed anywhere as the M6 is also nearby. But it is a distance away from the train stations should they wish to travel to Wigan by train. I don't know whether the Wigan bus goes through Haydock? I suspect it doesn't. But if it does then that would solve that problem if they wanted a nice place to stay while in the area.

There is also a Holiday Inn near Haydock Park racecourse.

St Helens is a dump, yes, but it is not completely without facilities! And they can always play lazer tag just off College Street if they are bored! Who could want for more?

Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington?
    You could contact the George as they might be able to arrange a group booking for you or alternatively email Saints direct. Mike Appleton is very helpful.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    The best bet is by train. See which Manchester station you are nearest to, and go on 'thetrainline.com' and search to st Helens central, that's for the club shop and for the George. I'm sure if you arranged a night to come down, bert will put something on for you. Trains will be about 9quid return and are easy enough.
    They'd have to get off at St.Helens Junction or Lea Green, though, then get the bus into town, as there are no trains from Manchester to St.Helens central.

For the St.George fans i would recommend that they actually spend at least a day out in Liverpool, as its a fabulous city, far nicer than Manchester.

Here is a link to the official Liverpool tourism website, which also has St.Helens as a subsection, as although people in St.Helens wont admit it, we are basically a suburb of Liverpool. A bit like Penrith is to Sydney.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/

IF going to Liverpool, the boss of the "Fly in the Loaf" pub on Hardman street is a big RL fan, and im sure he will likely make you all very welcome.
    Its one of Liverpools most celebrated pubs, and is only a short walk from the Philarmonic pub which is regarded as the finest pub in the whole of Britain.
    http://www.flyintheloaf.co.uk/index.php

http://pub-scene.com/pubs/PhilharmonicDiningRooms.htm

Trains go direct from the various Manchester stations to Liverpool regularly. The main ones being Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria.

You can then get a train direct from Liverpool Lime street (the main railway station) to St.Helens Central. These trains also go through to "Wigan North Western", the main Wigan station in the town centre. So it ideal if making a long day of it pre match if you wished to do that.

Here is link to train times.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
    Last edited by The Chair Maker; 15th January 2011 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ski View Post
    PM Saints Media Manager on here.

Are you guys bringing your banners over? Be good to meet up and get your banners alongside ours in the ground.
    Yeah we sure are indeed. Including the most famous in the NRL - GST (Great St George Team). Some of the guys who arent able to make the trek over to the UK with us will also be loading me up with their banners also. We'd be most appreciative to have some helping hands with them at the match if possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Here is a link to the official Liverpool tourism website, which also has St.Helens as a subsection, as although people in St.Helens wont admit it, we are basically a suburb of Liverpool. A bit like Penrith is to Sydney.
    Rubbish. St Helens is 12 miles from Liverpool and is a separate authority.

Yeah we sure are indeed. Including the most famous in the NRL - GST (Great St George Team). Some of the guys who arent able to make the trek over to the UK with us will also be loading me up with their banners also. We'd be most appreciative to have some helping hands with them at the match if possible.
    Will get in touch closer to the time! It'll be cracking to meet up.

Learning All The Songs

I have visited Australia and yes it is a warmer yet very souless country. Given our proximity to Europe, and what that offers in terms of climate,scenery and history, Australia does not come close.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Can we stick to the subject at hand. Here we have some Aussie RL fans travelling half way around the World to watch a game, they are after some local tips. They are not interested in our local squabbles and have done nothing for anyone to start bad-mouthing Australia, which has its great points and bad points like every other country in the World, ours included.

I watch a lot of St George games on the box, net, etc and these guys are as close to an English style atmosphere that exists in the NRL. They travel everywhere to follow their team, let's treat them with respect and hospitality and hope their team give Wigan a good whooping.

Can we leave our opinions on the merits of St Helens, Australia etc to the off-topic thread please.

Why doesnt a mod clean this post up, including THIS comment I just made. Get rid of the argument stuff, and just leave the usefull stuff behind, if there is any ?

Lets help the st geroge fans out.
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    I have visited Australia and yes it is a warmer yet very souless country. Given our proximity to Europe, and what that offers in terms of climate,scenery and history, Australia does not come close.
    Australia's great. There are really only so many kings, queens, cathedrals and battles that a person can take without falling asleep.

And I assume you don't know about the Aborginal people? They've been around longer than anyone in Europe. I think Australia is also older as a continent than Europe. Not much history there, then. And Australia has scenery that Europe does not, as well as scenery that it does have. It also has a variety of climates. Some that Europe does not have as well as some that it does.

Thanks for the tips re where to stay when in the north of England but we have already booked our accomodation in Manchester at the Ibis hotel. We will be in London for a few days first up then i think Thursday we are heading up to Manchester until when we leave on the Monday, the day after the WCC...... with the trophy.

Thanks for the tips re where to stay when in the north of England but we have already booked our accomodation in Manchester at the Ibis hotel. We will be in London for a few days first up then i think Thursday we are heading up to Manchester until when we leave on the Monday, the day after the WCC...... with the trophy.
    Well..we do hope you take the trophy. So just to re-state what somebody else already said. If you are going to take the train from Manchester to St Helens, you need to be aware that on the direct line out of Manchester, you can only get to St Helens Junction which is not in the town centre and not walkable. You would need to get a bus or taxi from there to the town centre...and before somebody corrects me on here, there are also other minor stations on that line, like Lea Green which is in St Helens, but again isnt close enough to teh town centre to walk.

You need to get to St Helens Central Station, which is only a two minute walk to The George. To get to St Helens Central, you would first need to take the train to Wigan and then change at WIgan to get to St Helens Central. I guess then you could break your journey and take a quick look round Wigan too.

With the exchange rate, a taxi may not be out of the question. A few years ago, we paid about 50 pounds from Manchester to St Helens town centre. So add a few pounds to that, you are probably looking at about $85 each way.
    Gone Walkabout...

We may end up just getting a hire car for a few days yet. Not yet sure. What are the road conditions like around late Feb? We'll alll be sunburnt and used to driving around in singlets in 40 degree heat before heading your way so best we better prepare for what may or may not be safe for us if theres black ice, snow etc...