Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: St George supporters coming over from Oz

Default St George supporters coming over from Oz

Gday guys. Firstly i'd like to start off by wishing you all the very best for season 2011 and that your mighty Saints can get the chocolates and steal the premiership trophy away from the Cherry and Whites!

As you should already know, our beloved Saints are heading your way late February to destroy Wigan in the World Club Challenge. Myself and quite a few of my fellow tragic Saints supporter mates are trekking across to throw our support behind our team and help bring home the WCC title. We are actively involved with a core group of others affectionately known as the Dragon Army who each and every week provide an atmosphere in the stands or on the hill unrivalled in the NRL with our flags, banners, singing (well maybe not up to the English standard).

http://www.ourredv.com/OurRedV/PICS/...d_Final.html#1
    http://www.ourredv.com/OurRedV/PICS/...ound_22.html#0

We are looking forward to, albeit hoping to, sharing our own unique level of support with your lot, St Helens, on the Friday night (25th Feb) when you take on Warrington at Widnes. We are hoping to get our hands on some tickets to the match when they come on sale in the not too distant future. Does your core supporter base have the equivilant of our Dragon Army whereas all the singing, etc comes from at the matches? We would be honoured to come and get amongst it all with you lot at this match, and stand shoulder to shoulder with our English counterparts and you lot be part of our first Super League experience as we build up to Sundays match against Wigan.

Seeing as though you are playing out of a different stadium this season, have you guys sussed out where the best local watering hole is for a parched Saints supporter to down an ale or three pre and post match? If we cant get tickets amongst you guys at the match, itd be great to get to know some of our far away Saints supporters over a few pints and spin the odd yarn here and there. We wont be in the UK for very long, and getting to attend a Super League match featuring the other red vee is high up on the 'to do' list and an experience we're really looking forward to!

Also, if you havent done so, or are contemplating it, we'd love to have your support on the Sunday at DW Stadium as the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons rip Wigan a new one! Such a shame its not one red vee vs the other. That'd be awesome! Hopefully this time next year we can be discussing this.

Thanks for your time lads and ladettes. Looking forward to heading your way and experiencing what is surely going to be a fantastic time (and a cold one!) and more importantly a successful one!

Go the Saints!!

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

Hope you have a good trip.

I think you will find that the atmosphere is completely different at English games compared to over here....

I will let thoughs in St Helens answer your questions as I escaped from St Helens to The Shire 3 1/2 years ago... We like St George because of the St Helens links, but 2011 will be the year of The Sharks
    Gone Walkabout...

Jeremy Smith would be the only player in the 2011 Sharks who would know what a grand final experience is wouldnt he? I think you were missing an extra "0" in your date. Sharks 20011 premiers.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts re the St Helens queries. How would you say it is different between here and there?

My limited experience of Aus is that Sydney fans treat RL matches like a library.

Queensland fans seem more passionate and shout and sing a bit.

However from my British perspective you are all rather reserved.

Saints fans are likely to be located mainly in the North and East stand, though i expect the match to sell out.

The more vocal element will probably be in the East stand.

If your going to support the original Saints you need to at least learn a couple of songs.

The easy one is W*nky W*nky W*nky W*nky Warrington

However every RL fans favourite Saints song is as follows (this is sung to John Denvers, Annies song)

You light up my senses,
    Like a gallon of Greenalls,
    Like a kebab from Geno's,
    Like a good sniff of glue!,
    Like a night out at Martine's,
    Like a split fish and curry,
    Oh St Helens rugby,
    Come thrill me again!

Quote Originally Posted by The Major View Post
    Jeremy Smith would be the only player in the 2011 Sharks who would know what a grand final experience is wouldnt he? I think you were missing an extra "0" in your date. Sharks 20011 premiers.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts re the St Helens queries. How would you say it is different between here and there?
    I think the big problem with Aussie crowds - especially at all-seater stadium - like ANZ for Origin...is the way most tickets are bought online and so you dont really get a 'home' and 'away' end, its blue sat next to maroon, next to blue etc. That doesn't give you the territorial feel of a British game, where even at Britsh Grand Finals, ticket are allocated to each club, so most people buy tickets at the 'end' where their fans will be. But this is also true of normal club games where there is a definate home and away end.

Generally, the Aussie games don't have any singing - again take Origin 'New South Wales' and 'Queensland' is about the only thing people chant.

When we hadn't been here long, we went to a Titans v Rabbits game on the Gold Coast, the only time the crowd shouted was when the guy got on the PA and told them to!

Make sure you take some warm stuff for the UK in Feb!

And yes, You light up my senses has become the classic Saints song. In translation:

You light up my senses,
    Like a gallon of Greenalls, - Greenalls was the local brewer, sadly no longer in existance
    Like a kebab from Geno's, - Geno's - famous late night kebab stop - you never got one when you were sober, but after the gallon of Greenals they taste pretty good.
    Like a good sniff of glue!,
    Like a night out at Martine's, - Martines - A long gone night club that had some of the most sticky carpet and grab a granny nights you could get. I used to go there so often in the 1990's I got invited to the staff Christmas party!
    Like a split fish and curry, - A 'Split' being a classic St Helens takeaway dish. Don't ask for a split at a chip shop anywhere other than St Helens, they wont have a clue what you want.
    Oh St Helens rugby,
    Come thrill me again!
    Gone Walkabout...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Major View Post
    Does your core supporter base have the equivilant of our Dragon Army whereas all the singing, etc comes from at the matches?
    It used to do: the Pop (Popular) Side used to be the place where the singing started. But that was at Knowsley Road. We've now left Knowsley Road, it's going to be demolished, and are on the road for a season at Widnes. The Pop Side, so far as I know, will be scattered around the stadium at Widnes. We used to be pretty good at singing and chanting but what it will be like at Widnes is anyone's guess. Some people may know of watering holes local to the place in Widnes, but I am not one of them. I think I've been to Widnes twice in my life.

I've already booked my place at Wigan for the WCC and the plan is to be sitting where you guys are sitting, which would be great.

Oh, and many of us were hoping that it would be the red vee against the red vee. Alas, we keep losing grand finals!

Looking forward to seeing the down under Saints visit our little town. Wrap up warm, bring an umbrella, and don't expect Sydney-style living here. We're a little town with not a lot happening. There is a beach not too far away but it's a bit cold to visit, depending how brave you are!

C'mon you Saints!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

it's a case of wait and see for the first game, because i don't think everyone will know where the noise will be coming from.. i've only attended one game in australia, manly @ wests, was with the manly away fans who where very noisy, but that's probably because it was more of the hardcore away fans (as it was torrential rain)

Banned

There is a boWling club at the back of the car park AT Widnes that has always been good, for the Wire game expect a few knobs about so the town centre may be worth a miss that game

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger View Post
    Hope you have a good trip.

I think you will find that the atmosphere is completely different at English games compared to over here....

I will let thoughs in St Helens answer your questions as I escaped from St Helens to The Shire 3 1/2 years ago... We like St George because of the St Helens links, but 2011 will be the year of The Sharks
    people move on in life,but most never forget their roots.if st helens was that bad,you had to 'escape',why do you keep coming back on this forum?secretl missing the old place?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
    people move on in life,but most never forget their roots.if st helens was that bad,you had to 'escape',why do you keep coming back on this forum?secretl missing the old place?
    EH! wot you on about, he's still a saints fan, and anyway i miss the place when i go to work at jaguar in halewood !!!!

Banned

As someone who escaped 23 years ago, the only things I've ever missed about 'Tellins are being able to walk to Saints, being able to go into chippies and asking for a "split and a fish" without the woman behind the counter calling the police, and Pimmies. As Pimmies have now gone utter and complete s***e that leaves only 2 things to recommend the place ("Dream" is OK I guess but is hardly a decent replacement for the long lost and lamented steak and meat 'n potato with a raspberry tart for afters). Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.

Sexy sexy shirt tifo.

Be good to meet up with you, we have a superb array of flags (it HAS to grow). the old Scaff Wall

Maybe turner will allow the big boy to return for trips to Widnes.

We don't sing any more though.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Northampton_Saint View Post
    As someone who escaped 23 years ago, the only things I've ever missed about 'Tellins are being able to walk to Saints, being able to go into chippies and asking for a "split and a fish" without the woman behind the counter calling the police, and Pimmies. As Pimmies have now gone utter and complete s***e that leaves only 2 things to recommend the place ("Dream" is OK I guess but is hardly a decent replacement for the long lost and lamented steak and meat 'n potato with a raspberry tart for afters). Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.
    That's your opinion mate but I have lived here all my life and it's not as bad as you are making out.
    What's so good about Northampton anyway,I would imagine it's full of rah-rahs,if it is it can't be that good.

Learning All The Songs

Are you taking the ****, or are you just a complete and utter knob?

Learning All The Songs

St Helens is no better and no worse than a lot of the places in the UK. You should be more proud of your roots Northampton Saint !

Banned

Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.
    To be fair to Sintellins, it's a lot better than it was 23 years ago.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jonnythesaint View Post
    Are you taking the ****, or are you just a complete and utter knob?
    class!

In The South Stand

St.Helens is a working class town which has taken its fair share of knocks over the years.Pilks,Beachams and the mines to name three.As Glasgow Saint says,it is no better or worse than a lot of towns in the UK.Why do people who have left seem to thnk that they have to knock the town on this forum?we all have opinions,but i think its wrong to have a go at the town on here.

Learning All The Songs Barney Rubble's Avatar

If your so concerned about the pies then maybe next time you make the journey up might i suggest you keep going....to the other side of the lump and be bored for 80 mins a week ! Oh by the way i deal with people from Northamton and from what i hear its defo no better !
    And on the eighth day he created The Saints and he said " Go forth and entertain !"

St.Helens is a working class town which has taken its fair share of knocks over the years.Pilks,Beachams and the mines to name three.As Glasgow Saint says,it is no better or worse than a lot of towns in the UK.Why do people who have left seem to thnk that they have to knock the town on this forum?we all have opinions,but i think its wrong to have a go at the town on here.
    I'd argue it is the perfect place to have a go about the town.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ski View Post
    I'd argue it is the perfect place to have a go about the town.
    This is a rugby forum,not location,location,location

This is a rugby forum,not location,location,location
    It's a rugby forums around St Helens RLFC. Whether you like it or not, the fates of the club and the town are remarkably interwoven. People who support St Helens care about the town. I do. I think it's a terrible place, I wouldn't have visited if it wasn't for the rugby, but then I wouldn't have made some very great friends. I care about those guys, and how the town can adversely, or positively affect them.

This is the perfect place because you get a wide variety of people. You get people who still live there, people who've never lived there, and people who've moved away.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Back on topic...

You've picked the perfect game in St. Helens v Warrington as it's likely to be a big crowd, probably a sell out and the games between us and Warrington are always top drawer. Warrington will bring a big, vocal crowd and the Saints fans are always loud for the big games. Tickets will probably go on sale shortly (within the next few weeks) which you'll be able to purchase online. I would just keep tabs on the official site - http://www.saintsrlfc.com/ and check the news feed and the tickets section. I imagine it'll be close to a sell out and if it does, tickets will probably be gone during the week of the game. You may get lucky and be able to walk up on the night.

I imagine the vocal section of the Saints supporters will be behind the posts (East Stand?), but the side section (North Stand?) will also be heavily populated. I'll be sat in the side section myself and like to chant at matches.

As for pubs etc, no idea. There is one right near the ground but I've forgotten the name of it.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your stay over here and good luck in the World Club Challenge. Do the Saints proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.
    Perhaps not the words I would have used...but feelings along the same lines.

I hope the St George fans have a great time. Shame they wont be watching our Saints on a true home ground...new or old.

I am sure British Rugby League will welcome the travelling fans, which is more than what the Kiwi's did to us at the Four Nations, when the best they could manage was throwing bottles of p*55 at us.
    Gone Walkabout...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Ski View Post
    It's a rugby forums around St Helens RLFC. Whether you like it or not, the fates of the club and the town are remarkably interwoven. People who support St Helens care about the town. I do. I think it's a terrible place, I wouldn't have visited if it wasn't for the rugby, but then I wouldn't have made some very great friends. I care about those guys, and how the town can adversely, or positively affect them.

This is the perfect place because you get a wide variety of people. You get people who still live there, people who've never lived there, and people who've moved away.
    Why is it a terrible place?