Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Let the millenium not be nearly empty.

  1. #1
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    3,057
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Let the millenium not be nearly empty.

    With this awful weather and with the powers that be deciding it will be a good idea to start the season at Cardiff, there is just the thought that it may end up with our great game becoming a laughing stock. It is a fantastic venue and it is where the speccies want to be but the idea that all those empty seats are going to be shown around the world just does not bear thinking about.

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Parr-Gods country
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    With this awful weather and with the powers that be deciding it will be a good idea to start the season at Cardiff, there is just the thought that it may end up with our great game becoming a laughing stock. It is a fantastic venue and it is where the speccies want to be but the idea that all those empty seats are going to be shown around the world just does not bear thinking about.
    Well let's hope the weather will be half decent and the crowds will be half decent as well.
    As far as I know there are quite a few Saints speccies going down to Cardiff and I will be one of them.

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs oldun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    2,220
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Is this weather getting you down exiled old un?
    That is a realy pessimistic post



    I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!


    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect




  4. #4
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    3,057
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    No but it looks bad enough with 30,000 ish in.

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,186
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    I'll be there, if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    parr.and proud of it
    Posts
    1,544
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'll be there, if that helps.
    me too along with my dad,brother and uncle.can`t wait.

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs HitTheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lost in Translation
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,313
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    As long as the fog stays away...
    "If you think training is hard, try losing"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,733
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'll be there too. It's my first visit to a Magic Weekend. Just going for the Saturday matches.

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket Driftking78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Ill be there aswell with a few blow up dogs for the Warrington fans..
    Goin for the weekend. Im hoping they are goin to do the same as the last time it was held there and letting fans get wrist bands, made it so much better. If you didnt like the next match you could just go out of the ground for a few drinks round Cardiff...
    Cant wait...

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Normanton, West Yorkshire
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    16

    Cool

    im going to too with a few friends for both days, possibly in morphsuits ha

  11. #11
    Got A Season Ticket Dicko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in wigan
    Posts
    326
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You cant fault The RFL The Adverts on The Box are thick and fast for tickets so at least they appear to giving it a go on the marketing side.

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Stand
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I saw the RL's tv advert for the event on ITV the other evening. As we know, the RFL have a poor track record for selling our sport and my the first thought was that if they've gone to the trouble of advertising it, ticket sales must be slow. Hotels in Cardiff are very much booked up, but rooms can usually be cancelled at the last minute and people may have booked up early and may still be undecided on whether to go.
    It would be a shame for it to be played in a half empty stadium. Mind you, it will be bleeding cold!

  13. #13
    Got A Season Ticket Saddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This is my 1st MM,,Have been to Cardiff for our Challenge Cup wins and it was superb...We are taking the whole week-end in and am looking forward to it.Hopefully being the first game of the season and bringing the derbies back it will make a lot of fans turn up....

  14. #14
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,293
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Realistically a good crowd for both days would be 30,000 in my opinion. There are going to be vast empty spaces regardless. I dont understand why they do not take such an event to a smaller stadium somewhere and sell it out. It could be that with the footy season on etc this is not possible.

    I am presuming with this roof on at cardiff it will make it a little warmer too because a bitter February day in Cardiff could be freezing.

    I think it will be a good atmosphere in the city on the Sat night because Wales are playing Scotland at Murrayfield that day so should be a lot of people in the pubs. Which begs another question. Did the RFL realistically expect the locals to come along on the Saturday when it is in direct competition with a Wales six nations game?

    See you all in Cardiff. Flying down from Glasgow on the Friday afternoon and going to drink and eat all weekend and cheer the super saintees on with pride !

    COYS

  15. #15
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    I reckon about 40000 on the saturday and 30000 on the sunday. As it hasnt been in Cardiff the last couple of years you should get a better turn out from the RL crowd. I don't think the Wales match will take away too many people because I don't think too many locals would have attended anyway.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  16. #16
    Noooobie martin-saints-slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ill be there with my cousen going for both days its my first M.M can't wait

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,020
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    never been one yet and no intentions of ever going , just a gimmick that i cant be arsed with

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,733
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Fair enough. I'm really looking forward to it though I imagine the trip will be a long one.

  19. #19
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,186
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    The rugby becomes secondary for me, it's all about the social experience. Cardiff is fantastic, the local bars and pubs are right next to the stadium and it is a fantastic weekend away. Alot of my friends are Wiganers and Warrington fans, so it's good to have us all in one place having a good time. Obviously Saints winning would be a nice bonus, but it'll be a good weekend anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,733
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Are people allowed in and out of the stadium or is it a case of once you're in, that's it?

  21. #21
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    3,057
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Not pessimistic but REALISTIC, i went to the final in2004 with my wife, stayed for two nights. What a fantastic weekend lookink around the city inthe sunshine sitting outside the pubs talking to the locals in the sunshine, in the saints marquee sharing all the entertainment and then a great game which we won in the sunshine. Compare that to the start of last season which was the same time that this season starts, i was there at knowlsely road when we did not know weather the match was going to be on because of snow, then probably because it was on SKY nobody who was there saw the match because of the FOG, like and now probably because of SKY everbody is expected to travel to Cardiff, why not keep Cardiff for finals ?. Like i say just being REALISTIC.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,692
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exiled old un View Post
    Not pessimistic but REALISTIC, i went to the final in2004 with my wife, stayed for two nights. What a fantastic weekend lookink around the city inthe sunshine sitting outside the pubs talking to the locals in the sunshine, in the saints marquee sharing all the entertainment and then a great game which we won in the sunshine. Compare that to the start of last season which was the same time that this season starts, i was there at knowlsely road when we did not know weather the match was going to be on because of snow, then probably because it was on SKY nobody who was there saw the match because of the FOG, like and now probably because of SKY everbody is expected to travel to Cardiff, why not keep Cardiff for finals ?. Like i say just being REALISTIC.
    just play it at a warm time of year,not february,simples

  23. #23
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,670
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
    just play it at a warm time of year,not february,simples
    I take your point but I will be staying in a hotel that has central heating, going in pubs that do too and sitting in a stadium with a roof on. Like tens of thousands of RU and football fans do all through the winter without too much hassle. Not ideal but not the almost impossibility that some people make out

    If it snows like crazy then there is a problem, and i actually think they would call it off anyway to save face, though leaving people in the lurch who have booked hotels and can't get refunds

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,020
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    why dont the rfl face facts , the game will never take off in wales , way back in 1895 we had ebbw vale and merthyr in the league they both went bust as did cardiff in the 1980's , why dont they put their efforts into saving a club in the heartlands like wakefield, rl is a sport confined to the m62 corridor and cumbria and always will be

  25. #25
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,692
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I take your point but I will be staying in a hotel that has central heating, going in pubs that do too and sitting in a stadium with a roof on. Like tens of thousands of RU and football fans do all through the winter without too much hassle. Not ideal but not the almost impossibility that some people make out

    If it snows like crazy then there is a problem, and i actually think they would call it off anyway to save face, though leaving people in the lurch who have booked hotels and can't get refunds
    yes,so am i when i go.as for the football and ru fans who do it all winter without hassle,they aren't being asked to watch 4 matches in a day.thats a long time to sit there,and really that is the whole point behind the magic weekend concept.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •