Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Howdy folks / Franchise System

Starting A Programme Collection Village Saint's Avatar

Default Howdy folks / Franchise System

Howdo everyone, so I've finally decided to become a member after being a dedicated reader of redvee for a few years now. Hope everyone had a great christmas and new year and roll on the successful 2011 season (touch wood)

So i though i'd open with a post about the franchise system. I was filling in a questionare off RLFans about how to improve the system and was wondering if anyone had any burning ideas on what they would change about the system or would you just scrap it altogether (yes pre-season boredom has taken a strangle hold on me). Personally I like the idea of having the top earning home-grown player exempt from the cap and would also like to see tv rights for league games sold to other networks other than just sky, theres a better chance of winning the euromillions, I know!

Starting A Programme Collection Lygase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Village Saint View Post
    Personally I like the idea of having the top earning home-grown player exempt from the cap
    i thought this was in effect, or that it was in effect? it was introduced to help teams keep they're youngsters from straying to the man with the money, if it has been stopped then why?
    And if i'm talking rubbish then your right, they should introduce it, it may help the likes of jammer from straying away, and the help keep the services of Eastmond (who seems blinded by money atm)

Im not sure, i think there is something along the lines of that homegrown players under 20/21 dont count on the cap. Im sure that if the rule existed that esentially 1 homegrown player could have unlimited earnings Eastmond wouldn't look twice at union, permitting that Saints are prepared to offer him the money union are

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Im not sure, i think there is something along the lines of that homegrown players under 20/21 dont count on the cap. Im sure that if the rule existed that esentially 1 homegrown player could have unlimited earnings Eastmond wouldn't look twice at union, permitting that Saints are prepared to offer him the money union are
    Unfortunately it is still down to what the club can afford
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

would also like to see tv rights for league games sold to other networks other than just sky, theres a better chance of winning the euromillions, I know!
    Welcome to the board. This point is an issue I'd like Super League to look at, but obviously in the current 'highest bid wins' system Sky bid the most and will therefore get the games.

I would be curious to see whether ESPN enter the bidding next time around like they did for RU Premiership games. If Super League allocated the games in different batches then they could go to different channels, much like the Premier League and the Aviva Premiership.

It was strange that Sky (having previously had all the games) didn't seem too bothered that they only won rights for 1/3 of the RU Prem games when ESPN bid for them. I wonder if they'd be that bothered if they went down to 1 Super League game a week and I wonder whether they think highly enough of RL to enter a bidding war if such an event happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If Super League allocated the games in different batches then they could go to different channels, much like the Premier League and the Aviva Premiership.
    I would like to see something like this, surely both sky and the RFL could benefit if the rights for one game a week where sold to other networks. Obviously the RFL will never suggest that though. Potential with this Eng v AllStars game likely to go ahead it could be used as an opportunity to see what other networks would like to get involved