Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Top Tries at Knowsley Road DVD

Got A Season Ticket

Default Top Tries at Knowsley Road DVD

I was given by my dad the DVD on Knowsley Road for Christmas (and rather amusingly I bought it for him for one of his presents!). Given the relative low content of match action I was wondering what the appetite there would be for a Top Tries DVD scored at Knowsley Road by Saints.

No doubt there would some debate as which tries should go in the production, and if there is film still of them would be another issue.

Now the Club do film the first team games - and I have videos of action in the late 80s - when did this start? Did other clubs film our games may be before Saints starting doing so?

BBC should have film from the Challenge Cup - but I am afraid I come from a generation of all the rounds being on the BBC when I presume this did not always be the case? Any one know when this might have started?

I presume there is film from the Flood Light Trophy in the BBC some where - not a competition we did too well in though!

I suppose the BBC should have some Regal Trophy John Player action -did they also cover the premiership games held at club grounds or just that at Old Trafford.

ITV did cover the league action in the 80s but I presume this basically duplicated by the Clubs own archive.

From the Knowsley Road DVD there was amateur footage - is this all thats held or do we know of more? Is there any on the Mitchell and Kenyon footage that was found a few years ago from the 1890s?

Would there be any movietone/pathe/gaumont news footage?

Any information gratefully received.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I'd pay £50 for one.

The Legendary Supporter has every match on DVD at home going back to 1986. Unfortunately, they are all club commentary ones. However the Season Review DVDs (God rest their soul) have Sky and BBC coverage in them so they must have been available at a reasonable cost of not for free.

Oh, and if the club don't do a Season Review DVD next year, I'll be making my own with the BBC/Sky TV footage each week, so if they don't want to do it, I'll do it, sell bootleg copies and keep the profits for myself!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

The BBC Trophy started in 1965. Although we only won it twice we did appear in several finals. It depends what you call "successful".

The Premiership/play off games were shown in all rounds. Some Championship finals were live. 1967 & 1970 were, but 1971 was only highlights. I remember that because we played Wigan at Swinton and our coach was miles from the ground and on the way back we passed a TV shop which had it on. As we won we watched it and nearly missed our coach.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    The BBC Trophy started in 1965. Although we only won it twice we did appear in several finals. It depends what you call "successful".

The Premiership/play off games were shown in all rounds. Some Championship finals were live. 1967 & 1970 were, but 1971 was only highlights. I remember that because we played Wigan at Swinton and our coach was miles from the ground and on the way back we passed a TV shop which had it on. As we won we watched it and nearly missed our coach.
    My mum was giving me a short back and sides in the living room as i watched in tears;partly through thinking we'd lost and partly because of the haircut!Then Bob Blackwood went over in the corner;Coslett(?) put up a huge up n' under, Tyrer completely misjudged it and Billy Benyon pounced on it to win the cup.One of my best early memories as a Saints fan!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post

I remember my first ever cup final was a Floodlit trophy final in the early 70's(74?)against Rochdale Hornets at Knowsley Rd and shouting myself hoarse.It was a dour slog and we won 8-2.

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

Because Saints have never produced a 'Best Of' tries DVD, I've been meaning to compile one myself of all the footage I have (albeit a bit sporadic).

I imagine the reason why they have cashed in on this no brainer is because it takes rather a long time to sift through all the footage and edit it and thus no one has been ar$ed.

The best tries compilation for me is still the BBC's "101 Best Rugby League Tries (...and a kick)" from the late 80's. A real classic that I must have watched hundreds of times. The fact that me n my mates can still recite long soundbites of the commentary from somewhat irrelevant matches kinda shows how many times its been viewed.

"Hanley... and he's still goin'..... and he's still goin'...... AND HE'S STILL GOIN'..... goodness gracious me, this could be the try of the season" (try of the century more like Ray).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post
    Because Saints have never produced a 'Best Of' tries DVD, I've been meaning to compile one myself of all the footage I have (albeit a bit sporadic).

I imagine the reason why they have cashed in on this no brainer is because it takes rather a long time to sift through all the footage and edit it and thus no one has been ar$ed.

The best tries compilation for me is still the BBC's "101 Best Rugby League Tries (...and a kick)" from the late 80's. A real classic that I must have watched hundreds of times. The fact that me n my mates can still recite long soundbites of the commentary from somewhat irrelevant matches kinda shows how many times its been viewed.

"Hanley... and he's still goin'..... and he's still goin'...... AND HE'S STILL GOIN'..... goodness gracious me, this could be the try of the season" (try of the century more like Ray).
    Classic video that one - iirc the kick was 'THE POOUURR LAD' himself

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post

I'd pay good money to see the legendary - and at one time, mandatory - dog on the pitch at Headingly and hear a bemused French:

"Why, oh why people bring dogs to Rugby games i'll never know...! Every time we come to Headingly, there's a dog on the pitch!"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd pay good money to see the legendary - and at one time, mandatory - dog on the pitch at Headingly and hear a bemused French:

"Why, oh why people bring dogs to Rugby games i'll never know...! Every time we come to Headingly, there's a dog on the pitch!"
    If Eddie Waring had said that he would have been accused of demeaning the game!

Dom's comments about the 101 Greatest Tries video is interesting because I too remember nearly all the bits of commentary. May I suggest it's because 20 years ago, with no internet and such likes, we had bugger all else to do and ended up watching the thing about twenty times a year? My favorite bit of commentary would have to be when Andy Currier was at Hull and he stepped inside the defence to score under the sticks. Ray was going "and Andy Currier is in, he's in at the corner......where's he going?........oh yes, that's a great try"

The tries DVD released this Christmas contains nearly all of those tries and would have been considered the greatest of all time but for the cringeworthy bias to Wigan.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Love this one from Frenchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkryvdMqssE

Got A Season Ticket

Thanks for the information so far guys! I have done some searching on You Tube where i found the Lancashire Cup Final from 84/85 season - complete with Ray French giving it some as Edwards is brushed off by mighty Mal - with the concluding phrase "now that is class rugby!" (Far better quality of the game than on the Video the club released in 1996). Seems that this was on the BBC but a commenter on the video seems to suggest that the BBC lost the master tapes in a fire - any one know if thats true? I know the game was not at KR but there are some quality tries in the game!

The comments about the Championship Finals are interesting as it sounds like an avenue worth exploring as it may be worth while to try and do a best Saints Tries DVD rather than just restrict it to KR? Any thoughts?

I see from looking on the Micron Video Site who did offer Saints games from the 1990s that they have film of Saints v Wigan games with the earliest being 1984/5.

I am actually quite encouraged by how much footage there is potentially out there - as any one experience from trying to get footage out of the BBC - their website says basically no chance unless you helped create the content - may be if we could be cheeky and get the past players involved it would help?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    My mum was giving me a short back and sides in the living room as i watched in tears;partly through thinking we'd lost and partly because of the haircut!Then Bob Blackwood went over in the corner;Coslett(?) put up a huge up n' under, Tyrer completely misjudged it and Billy Benyon pounced on it to win the cup.One of my best early memories as a Saints fan!
    Your memory is playing up.
    BLackwood scored in the corner and Coslett kicked the goal from the touchline. That left the score at 12 - 11 in Wigans favour, with only a few minutes left. What happened next was daylight robbery. On the last tackle Saints threw the ball back at the play the ball for a drop goal attempt, two points at that time (I think it was to Johnny Walsh). Every Saints player bar the fullback was in front of Walsh. It was a terrible attempt from about 45 yards out and was closer to the corner flag than the posts. The ball bounced back over Tyrers head and Benyon "scored". Coslett added the goal and Saints won 16 - 11. With todays video ref it would have been a penalty to Wigan.

A few months later Benyon came into the Stork in Billinge. I asked him if he was offside in that final. He smiled and said "The referee said I wasn't"