Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: The Head Ahead.....

Got A Season Ticket

Default The Head Ahead.....

Here's one for you Saints fans.... Wide to West? Pffft!

This file is not hosted on RedVee.Net, this is a YouTube video.
    Contact YouTube.Com if you have any copyright issues.

Is that still legal I wonder?

Think it got banned shortly after we scored off it

i was there for that, good idea!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Think it got banned shortly after we scored off it
    Yes, it was.

Damn, we have been such an innovative team!

I remember being at that! IIR Mclennan had asked the ref before the game was it illegal if the ball travelled forward off the head and was told no, but it was made illegal within days of that match. Credit the invention though

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

Tommy bishop (or was it paul) with his chip kick over his head whilst facing his own line stood behind a line of 3 forwards where he couldn't be seen.
    Some clever play back then there was.
    Last edited by wardies love child; 3rd January 2011 at 10:03. Reason: Ooer which bishop was it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Remember the two acting half backs, where the first one would leave it, we got that from cronulla in 97. That was also swiftly banned (or more so, the rule where the attacking team must be 5yards behind was enforced)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I always thought George Mann was offside ?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Brilliant, I was there, we were all saying WTF just happened lol

The lad in the Harlequins rugby top to the left of the copper as you watch it, is me! 14 yr old fanatic. Supersaint at the side of me. Ah memories, we even made a Question of Sport!

Quote Originally Posted by wardies love child View Post
    Tommy bishop (or was it paul) with his chip kick over his head whilst facing his own line stood behind a line of 3 forwards where he couldn't be seen.
    Some clever play back then there was.
    That was against Bradford. It was a penalty and Paul Bishop had his back to the Bradford team about 3-4 yard from their line in the left hand corner at the Edington end. He kicked the ball over his, and the Bradford players heads, and Alan Hunte ran round and scored.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Banned

I remember it well - it was actually only banned after the end of that season. We scored again from it at the pavilion end a few months later (can't for the life of me remember who it was against) while it was still very much legal but the ref decided he didn't like it and disallowed it for reasons completely unknown - he was very roundly booed. Incompetent, inconsistent refereeing is regretfully not just a recent phenomenon.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    The lad in the Harlequins rugby top to the left of the copper as you watch it, is me! 14 yr old fanatic. Supersaint at the side of me. Ah memories, we even made a Question of Sport!
    Who is the guy next to McLennan anyone...........looks like a guy I used to work with at the Corpy...Johnny Griff !!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Northampton_Saint View Post
    I remember it well - it was actually only banned after the end of that season. We scored again from it at the pavilion end a few months later (can't for the life of me remember who it was against) while it was still very much legal but the ref decided he didn't like it and disallowed it for reasons completely unknown - he was very roundly booed. Incompetent, inconsistent refereeing is regretfully not just a recent phenomenon.
    I might be wrong but I think the disallowed one was against Leeds in the 'Gallaghergate' match.

We actually tried it several times but only the first one worked until it was disallowed at the end of the 1990-91 season.

The following season we scored a try at home to Bradford when Paul Bishop pretended that he was going to take a quick tap backwards from a penalty but instead kicked the ball over his head for Alan Hunte to run through and score.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

I remember the John Harrison header well, if only for the fact that I missed it due to being distracted at the time as the teenager that I then was. Does anyone remember the criss cross that Stevo used to get off on from around the same period. I think it usually involved Griffiths and one of Cooper or Ropati.

Oh... and one more... Kicking the ball back to the opposition when the full back received the ball from their kick off the last tackle. Dave Lyon used to boot it back and we'd play the opposition in their own 20.