Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: world cup grounds

Got A Replica Shirt

Default world cup grounds

will the new ground get some world cup game in 2013 maybe a england game

Starting A Programme Collection

Will definitely get some games, at 18k capacity the ground is a unique size in being a midpoint between the smaller Widnes/Warrington/Doncaster which are 12-15k, but not as big as the DW, KC, Galpharm, etc. at 25k.

In terms of getting an England game, I would think that there's a good chance of either the Ireland or Fiji game being played at Saints. The Australia game will more than likely go to the DW, KC or Galpharm.

I'd like to see the Final played at either Wembley or Old Trafford and an aggressive marketing push to get the game sold out. What an event that could be, particularly if England qualify.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Knowsley Road used to get games so the new ground will, of that I'm almost certain. We should get a good selection of games and a quarter/semi final as well possibly.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

We should definitely get a game. Not sure what the rules are regarding all-seater stadiums, maybe we'd have to put temporary seats behind each goal, I don't know. I can't remember a World Cup or Four/Tri Nations international game played at a terraced stadium for a while, GB-NZ at Knowsley Road back in 2006 of course but that was a low-key friendly.

The Final should be at Old Trafford or Wembley, not fussed either way as there isn't that much difference in the capacities. I suppose Wembley makes it feel more of a national event, but OT may be more sensible given that we may have a Aus-NZ Final and more neutrals may travel to Manchester than London.

Wigan, Huddersfield, Hull, St Helens and Elland Road should be given the bigger (or England) group games, maybe have the Wales games at Cardiff City with one semi-final at the Millenium Stadium. Maybe also have a game or two at The Stoop for Australia or NZ to capitalise on the ex-pat community down here as I went to the NZ-Aus Tri Nations Game in 2009 there, they got 12-13k and there was a good atmosphere.

Banned

I remember our Chief Exec contacting the RFL I think the day after the world cup was announced as being over here to offer up our new stadium as a world cup venue. With 12,000 seating then I should think this makes a match or two a real possibility.

I hope we don't go to any soccer grounds, unless an RL team is based there obviously. I'd prefer to see a game at Sheffield's new location rather than Elland Road as Elland Road is tired and shabby looking. Also, I think we should be realistic about the size of crowds: better to use a smaller name stadium that looks full than a bigger name stadium that looks half empty.

I think this is a good idea for a venue for the reasons cited in the article. Better to go where there is a chance of real interest.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2nd December 2010 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I hope we don't go to any soccer grounds, unless an RL team is based there obviously. I'd prefer to see a game at Sheffield's new location rather than Elland Road as Elland Road is tired and shabby looking. Also, I think we should be realistic about the size of crowds: better to use a smaller name stadium that looks full than a bigger name stadium that looks half empty.
    I'm not a massive fan of Elland Road either, but not to have games in the metropolitan Leeds area (which is the only big city in England where RL is really popular) wouldn't be right and could potentially cost the comp thousands of fans.

Ground sizes are important, I agree that 12-15k stadiums for the lesser group games is preferable, but this is a big chance for RL to make some waves and show that we have some standing, so I think the big England games and the Final should be held in 40k plus stadiums with well priced tickets and stuff centred around the games to pull in as many fans as possible.

City of Manchester Stadium with tickets priced at £10 each would be a sell out.

But this is the RFL who would rather sell 10,000 tickets at £40 than 40,000 tickets at £10...

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

We'll get a few games, and warrington should have their ground expansion done by then too, so they could be up to 16k ish as well. Wigan wont be allowed to host any by DW, Hull will have the football problem too, but a smaller game should got to Hull KR's ground. Hudds should get one, but may struggle with the football issue too. Salfords new ground will be up too.
    I'd much rather see big crowds in hotbeds of RL than the alternative.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Hull council (who own the KC) are bidding to host games at both stadia
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/9251710.stm

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    City of Manchester Stadium with tickets priced at £10 each would be a sell out.

But this is the RFL who would rather sell 10,000 tickets at £40 than 40,000 tickets at £10...
    City aren't going to hire the stadium out in the middle of the season. Those days are long gone.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    City aren't going to hire the stadium out in the middle of the season. Those days are long gone.
    I was under the impression that the stadium is owned by Manchester Council therefore it wouldn't be up to City to 'let us have the stadium' so to speak. (I could be wrong though). I'm sure they would have a big say in the matter though if this is the case.

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

Old trafford or elland road is the obvious choices for a final. I could not see the glaziers letting RL on twice in 4 week though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I was under the impression that the stadium is owned by Manchester Council therefore it wouldn't be up to City to 'let us have the stadium' so to speak. (I could be wrong though). I'm sure they would have a big say in the matter though.
    I thought Manchester City bought it after the Commonwealth Games were done?

I thought Manchester City bought it after the Commonwealth Games were done?
    Like I said, I could be wrong.

In The South Stand

According to this article http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/englan...ium-in-premier

Manchester Council own Eastlands but Man City obviously have plans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Like I said, I could be wrong.
    Nope, you're not. It is still 'technically owned' by Manchester City Council but Manchester City have a 250 year lease on the place and invested £35 million in converting it to a soccer stadium.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Nope, you're not. It is still 'technically owned' by Manchester City Council but Manchester City have a 250 year lease on the place and invested £35 million in converting it to a soccer stadium.
    Correct. It is our choice what goes on in there though. The council have no right to tell us what we can or can't do with it regards to matches being played there.

We can do what we want on the inside of the stadium, but we have to get permission for anything we do on the outside or to the facade.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'm not a massive fan of Elland Road either, but not to have games in the metropolitan Leeds area (which is the only big city in England where RL is really popular) wouldn't be right and could potentially cost the comp thousands of fans.

Ground sizes are important, I agree that 12-15k stadiums for the lesser group games is preferable, but this is a big chance for RL to make some waves and show that we have some standing, so I think the big England games and the Final should be held in 40k plus stadiums with well priced tickets and stuff centred around the games to pull in as many fans as possible.
    Hull and Bradford are big rugby loving citys. none more so than Hull who should and probably will be involved.

Learning All The Songs wardies love child's Avatar

Dare I suggest Cardiff.

I'd prefer Old Trafford tbh but I've never been to the council ground but as DD suggests it won't happen. I hope it stays in the north, especially that time of year.

It should be cheap and local and the Rfl should listen to the fans and not say they have and then play it in a half empty ground that costs a fortune all around a month prior Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkyrl View Post
    Hull and Bradford are big rugby loving citys. none more so than Hull who should and probably will be involved.
    You're of course right, but with respect to them both I don't regard either as a 'big city', more average sized cities or big towns if you get my meaning.

Leeds is a genuine big city, like Manchester, Birmingham etc. It would be foolish to ignore it given that there are potentially tens of thousands of people there who would fill Elland Road if a big game was played there.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 1986ste View Post
    will the new ground get some world cup game in 2013 maybe a england game
    I would imagine we will get a couple of games,probably a group game and possibly a quarter final.

Of course Wakefield's ground will be up and running by then too, honest, no it will.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Russia will get it
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It would be foolish to ignore it given that there are potentially tens of thousands of people there who would fill Elland Road if a big game was played there.
    It wasn't full last year. The potentials stayed at home.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

for the final, it simply needs to be in the heartlands.. elland road, city of manchester stadium or OT are the obvious answers, however as pointed out availability might be a problem.. i can't see that many people making the trip to wembley in november, possibly 5 weeks after an expensive GF or 2 months after a cup final..

from superleague i'd use the following grounds - Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Huddersfield, Hull, Salford (new one), wrexham for wales games, and throw in rochdale, doncaster and widnes from the NL

quite simply stadiums like hull kr, cas, wakefield and bradford are anywhere near the standard required