Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast

Thread: Old king cole and the new footie season

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Never seen Remy play so not sure about him rather go for someone proven than gamble 12m on someone from the French league.
    Agreed. It reminds me so much of the El Hadji-Diouf fiasco. I was rather pleased when I saw it on Sky Sports News that West ham are expected to find the cash to buy him and LFC are expected to drop out of the race for him. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is now the preferred target as Hodgson is trying to sabotage his talks with Man City.

Bridge, I think, would be an excellent signing but now sure £8 million is a realistic pricetag given the injury situation. It'd certainly be colourful when we went to Stamford Bridge.
    Sanctus Espiritus! Insanity is all around us...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    Agreed. It reminds me so much of the El Hadji-Diouf fiasco. I was rather pleased when I saw it on Sky Sports News that West ham are expected to find the cash to buy him and LFC are expected to drop out of the race for him. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is now the preferred target as Hodgson is trying to sabotage his talks with Man City.

Bridge, I think, would be an excellent signing but now sure £8 million is a realistic pricetag given the injury situation. It'd certainly be colourful when we went to Stamford Bridge.
    And to think Houllier preferred Diouf to Anelka......."what a mistaka to maka"
    Learned comment from The Don

Too much chat about Liverpool on this thread for my liking...

Anyway back on the real Reds, Talk some sense did indeed talk some sense with his previous post. Cleverley is expected to become a great player, was fantastic on loan at Watford last year and a cut above that level. Also plays for England U21's. He is also learning from the best, playing alongside Scholesy in training and pre-season friendlies. What a legend to learn from.

If Nani continues his form, plus the emergence of Obertan and the continued improvement of Valencia, we will do okay, but without the extra quality to win the CL. If Rio stays fit and Vidic gets his head screwed on, we will still have a good back four with Evra hopefully shaking his disappointing WC off.

The enigma is Berbatov. He has got everything but regularly fails to show it. Now that he has quit international football, he really should blossom and if he gives 100% he can still be a succes. Anderson is another who is at last chance saloon. Great player, rarely shows it.

Jury is out on Hernandez as despite his quality (reminds me a little of Solksjaer in his finishing) he is South American and they rarely excel in the PL. Forlan, Veron anyone? Tevez and Heinze may be the exceptions to that but we will see.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Jury is out on Hernandez as despite his quality (reminds me a little of Solksjaer in his finishing) he is South American and they rarely excel in the PL. Forlan, Veron anyone? Tevez and Heinze may be the exceptions to that but we will see.
    This isn't meant to be pedantic in any way mate, but Hernendez is Mexican which doesn't count as South America in any way really. Mexicans tend to have alot more influence from the US so he will be more accustomed to an English language culture and there are lots of examples of Central Americans doing well in the Prem, whether it be Figueroa, Palacios, Yorke, Wanchope etc.

I don't think you can compare Mexicans, Costa Ricans, West Indians etc with Brasilians and Argentinians. Brasilian and Argentinian footballers are still culturally influenced by Latin European countries and are mostly ignorant of Anglo culture and some really struggle to adapt. Generally Central Americans find it easier and adapt better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    This isn't meant to be pedantic in any way mate, but Hernendez is Mexican which doesn't count as South America in any way really. Mexicans tend to have alot more influence from the US so he will be more accustomed to an English language culture and there are lots of examples of Central Americans doing well in the Prem, whether it be Figueroa, Palacios, Yorke, Wanchope etc.

I don't think you can compare Mexicans, Costa Ricans, West Indians etc with Brasilians and Argentinians. Brasilian and Argentinian footballers are still culturally influenced by Latin European countries and are mostly ignorant of Anglo culture and some really struggle to adapt. Generally Central Americans find it easier and adapt better.
    Thats a fair point. For some reason I keep thinking he is Argentinian! I know the language won't be an issue as he speaks excellent English. I don't think for one minute that he will be loaned out as Fergie clearly rates him and feels we have got a bargain which is why we moved for him pre-WC. I suppose we will have to wait and see. My positive side says that he may be like Solksjaer i.e comes in and starts to score straight away.

Seen on Sly sports, read in the paper, the media circus is working on full tilt. Joe Cole is the magicians assistant, you focus on him while the magician works his tricks. A couple of good results early in the season and G&H are rubbing there hands. Because all is forgotten and the next interest payment is going to be accrued. Don't forget there's still plenty of time to sell in this transfer window. Also I have to concede that Manure's debt is bigger than Liverpool's debt. Another thing that you've beaten them at LOL
    don't forget your darkest hour is only 60 minutes long
    KEEP THE FAITH
    Gene Hunt BACK ON MONDAY 20th
    QUIT YO' JIBBER JABBER

But when you get 76,000 to every home game as opposed to 44,000, in addition to a huge turnover worldwide, then its not rocket science to work out that Utd make substantially more money than Liverpool. Its all relative.

Can't believe how much is being made of this Cole transfer.

A player deemed not good enough by the English champions and released. He played a bit part last season and only seemed to try that exra 10% to try and bag himself a new deal and a plane ticket to South Africa. I dont think he's ever got anywhere near to fulfilling the early promise shown at West Ham all those years ago.

Another telling sign is of the many teams that finished above Liverpool not one of them made a serious attempt at getting Cole. The reported £90k a week 4 year deal is staggering. I can see where the club is coming from tho and they have made a good move business wise replacing Benayoun and bagging around £5m, the problem is Benayoun was probably Liverpools best performer last year whereas Cole really struggled to make any impact at Chelsea.

Not that that has stopped Phil Thompson and co coming out of the woodwork claiming Liverpool are now serious title contenders again.

He'll be back on the treatment table and in the fast lane to obscurity before you can say......Harry Kewell.
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Your not far off there Wabo, as I said he's the magician's assistant. While you and the media circus are watching him, the magicians (H&G) are performing the dirty tricks
    don't forget your darkest hour is only 60 minutes long
    KEEP THE FAITH
    Gene Hunt BACK ON MONDAY 20th
    QUIT YO' JIBBER JABBER

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Benayoun liverpool's best player last season!! I was unfortunate enough to go to most of the games and he was no where near mate!

Benayoun was symbolic of Liverpool's problems last year. When on top he was great, but massively inconsistant and just sunk without a trace away from home. Cole is proven quality and has a winning mentality plus we've bagged 5m to boot.

Certainly wouldn't mind Figueroa from Wigan or the german Jensen that is being linked. As and when Mascherano goes, and incidentally Hodgson wouldn't be playing 9-0-1 like Rafa, we'll be moving away from two holding midfield players we should rival City for Milner or Defour from S Liege.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Benayoun liverpool's best player last season!! I was unfortunate enough to go to most of the games and he was no where near mate!

Benayoun was symbolic of Liverpool's problems last year. When on top he was great, but massively inconsistant and just sunk without a trace away from home. Cole is proven quality and has a winning mentality plus we've bagged 5m to boot.

Certainly wouldn't mind Figueroa from Wigan or the german Jensen that is being linked. As and when Mascherano goes, and incidentally Hodgson wouldn't be playing 9-0-1 like Rafa, we'll be moving away from two holding midfield players we should rival City for Milner or Defour from S Liege.
    Now footballs worst kept secret is out Stan do you think that Hodgson (does'nt he sound like Michael Caine on the radio)will use Lucas as a holding mid (he did improve last season)and play in a more attacking style.
    I reckon we need a decent left back and another forward or do you think Babel could develop if given decent game time?
    Learned comment from The Don

With what? MON would rather have us over a barrell for £30m and then come back for Ireland/Onuoha/SWP than accept n'gog on loan or some monopoly money.
    You're all out of time.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    With what? MON would rather have us over a barrell for £30m and then come back for Ireland/Onuoha/SWP than accept n'gog on loan or some monopoly money.
    With the proceeds from the £25m price tag we'll put on Mascherano, that Benitez will happily pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Now footballs worst kept secret is out Stan do you think that Hodgson (does'nt he sound like Michael Caine on the radio)will use Lucas as a holding mid (he did improve last season)and play in a more attacking style.
    I reckon we need a decent left back and another forward or do you think Babel could develop if given decent game time?
    I think so. Everyones problem with Lucas wasnt so much what he was doing, it was the fact we didnt need two men doing the same thing. Lucas has been recalled to the Brazil squad so has been doing something right.

I'm hoping Babel will improve under Hodgson. he's always had bags of potential but with Rafa's bonkers squad rotation, even when he had a good game he was dropped the following week.

I wonder if Hodgson might be tempted to speak with Raul's people if Torres does end up leaving. I've also heard we're sniffing around Diego Forlan as a replacement for Torres. The one way we can stop Forlan scoring against us is to have him play for us!

With the proceeds from the £25m price tag we'll put on Mascherano, that Benitez will happily pay.
    Hodgsons already earmarked a chunk of that for villa's 3rd choice right back
    You're all out of time.

Thumbs up

Estimates suggest fee will be between £2 and £2.5 million. The money already acquired for Benayoun or Rieira easily covers that.

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Not bad as a squad player to cover Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS View Post
    Not bad as a squad player to cover Johnson.
    LMAO

How the mighty have fallen, Stilian Petrov's decent too
    You're all out of time.

United beat the MLS Allstars 5-2 last night in front of around 70,000 fans

Hernandez got his first goal too

LMAO

How the mighty have fallen, Stilian Petrov's decent too
    We're not all playing Champ Manager with unlimited cash though.

Needs must, I have faith in Roy.

Cool

It would appear that the Luke Young deal has fallen through as he wasnt prepared to take a paycut from Villa.

Wabo's sniggering aside, and hardly surprising coming from a City fan whose idea of subtle would be less than £20 million, I actually think these are the type of players LFC need to be linked with. We dont really need any more big names as such, Hodgson needs to make some shrewd signings to balance out the team which was amajor problem under the Rafa regime. We still have a very strong spine of the team and much more attacking options this season but every team needs an unsung hero, unfashionable though they may be.

Correct, you can only play 11, even if you have 25 worth £20M each.

I think Hodgsons policy at Fulham of keeping a settled team is absolutely key to Liverpool chances of challenging for anything this season.

It would appear that the Luke Young deal has fallen through as he wasnt prepared to take a paycut from Villa.

Wabo's sniggering aside, and hardly surprising coming from a City fan whose idea of subtle would be less than £20 million, I actually think these are the type of players LFC need to be linked with. We dont really need any more big names as such, Hodgson needs to make some shrewd signings to balance out the team which was amajor problem under the Rafa regime. We still have a very strong spine of the team and much more attacking options this season but every team needs an unsung hero, unfashionable though they may be.
    Liverpool are such a big club these days they couldnt tempt villa's 3rd choice right back to upsticks and move his family from Birmingham to Merseyside, nothing to do with money. And so shrewd in the market is woy he's paying Joe Cole £90k a week when no-one else would touch him with a barge pole.
    You're all out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

He looks decent Hernandez, Cleverley and Gibson did well too.
    You're all out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

Cleverley is going to be a great player. His goal was reminiscent of Gazz's in Euro 96 against Scotland.

This file is not hosted on RedVee.Net, this is a YouTube video.
    Contact YouTube.Com if you have any copyright issues.

Hernandez as below.

This file is not hosted on RedVee.Net, this is a YouTube video.
    Contact YouTube.Com if you have any copyright issues.