Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2010 World Cup

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    So how come you couldnt see this before the match. These are all the things we have already seen when making our "c*ck sure" predictions that you said we couldnt be c*ck sure about. We didnt just give it a blind guess on something that was a 50/50 outcome. The predictions beforehand were made because of all the things you have said above, we knew he was playing 442. We knew he was trying to fit round pegs into square holes by playing Lampard, Gerrard AND Barry. It was evident from the performances in SA which were 2 poor friendlys, 2 poor group games, 1 ok group game all in a group we should have strolled. The signs were there that we were going to be poor....only blind faith prevented it from being seen prior to the Germany game.
    Ok. So i'm a tit as well as the manager. Two wrongs don't make a right!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    He's done the same throughout his England career. Nothing changed in the World Cup, so why is all of sudden the cause?
    Because now he has been found out. These things happen.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Because now he has been found out. These things happen.
    Or he has been let down with injuries and poor performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Or he has been let down with injuries and poor performances.
    Undoubtedly, but:

4-4-2. Tactics. Substitutions. Man motivation - All hopeless.

Undoubtedly, but:

4-4-2. Tactics. Substitutions. Man motivation - All hopeless.
    Can't agree. Biggest issue for me: Highest paid manager and he hasn't bothered to learn the language in two years. Even Beckham speaks Spanish and Tourist Italian.

Those over-rated Germans eh DD?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Van Bronckhorst - wow! What a goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Those over-rated Germans eh DD?
    Looks like I was right after all. All that hype and didn't offer as much as a token resistance against a Spain side that is still way off it's peak.

Looks like I was right after all. All that hype and didn't offer as much as a token resistance against a Spain side that is still way off it's peak.
    Selective posting!! Nice to see you waiting until they were beaten! I stand by it though, they were much better than England and tonked Argentina. FWIW, I consider Spain to be the best in the world, so a 1-0 defeat from a set piece is not a capitulation

Banned

just hope holland win it , were the best team by a mile in 74 , desperately unlucky to hit the post in last minute of normal time in 78 , think they deserve it for all the great players theyve produced over the years and from a population 1/6th the size of ours .

Banned

Selective posting!! Nice to see you waiting until they were beaten! I stand by it though, they were much better than England and tonked Argentina. FWIW, I consider Spain to be the best in the world, so a 1-0 defeat from a set piece is not a capitulation
    But Germany played like a non league side against a Prem side. Sat 11 behind the ball and hoped for a freak goal or a penalty shootout. Spain passed the ball and committed men forward. The 2nd half especially was like men against boys

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    But Germany played like a non league side against a Prem side. Sat 11 behind the ball and hoped for a freak goal or a penalty shootout. Spain passed the ball and committed men forward. The 2nd half especially was like men against boys
    I have said in my post that I think Spain are the best team in the world. But it does not detract from the fact that Germany have had a decent WC. Its no disgrace to lose to Spain. Germany scored 4 against England and Argentina so they have had a good go. I don't think for one minute that they are overated.

Banned

I have said in my post that I think Spain are the best team in the world. But it does not detract from the fact that Germany have had a decent WC. Its no disgrace to lose to Spain. Germany scored 4 against England and Argentina so they have had a good go. I don't think for one minute that they are overated.
    I just think they played in a very poor world cup and having played with the ball for 6 months previous had a massive advantage (good thinking from their FA), but You can only judge over the next 4 years how good they really are.

Although not being great at the WC, this is a culmination of 4 years hard work for Spain, Qualifying and winning the euros in style and continuing thru to the world cup

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I just think they played in a very poor world cup and having played with the ball for 6 months previous had a massive advantage (good thinking from their FA), but You can only judge over the next 4 years how good they really are.

Although not being great at the WC, this is a culmination of 4 years hard work for Spain, Qualifying and winning the euros in style and continuing thru to the world cup
    Other countries played with the ball too. Plus it was only about 3 teams in the Bundesliga that used it, so its a bit of an exaggeration to say that they had an advantage. They are a young team too, so will definitely be one of the favourites for the Euros in 2 yrs.

Banned

Other countries played with the ball too. Plus it was only about 3 teams in the Bundesliga that used it, so its a bit of an exaggeration to say that they had an advantage. They are a young team too, so will definitely be one of the favourites for the Euros in 2 yrs.
    From what I read I thought the ball was used throughout the Bundesliga from January. Maybe not an advantage then :-)

I still think other sides have better younger players than Germany and will progress past them.

They ended up being over-rated. They started off being under-rated. In the end, the hype would have you believe that they were going to beat Spain. In fact, 83% of Germans interviewed believed they would win the World Cup at that stage. That's the kind of blind jingoism you lambasted us for.

Whilst they were outstanding against Argentina (an Argentina side that struggled to qualify for the finals), in the end, it looked like a combination of believing their own hype and it being a match too far, got to them on the big day.

They should be right up there with the favourites for the next Euros though, if not THE favourites.

They ended up being over-rated. They started off being under-rated. In the end, the hype would have you believe that they were going to beat Spain. In fact, 83% of Germans interviewed believed they would win the World Cup at that stage. That's the kind of blind jingoism you lambasted us for.

Whilst they were outstanding against Argentina (an Argentina side that struggled to qualify for the finals), in the end, it looked like a combination of believing their own hype and it being a match too far, got to them on the big day.

They should be right up there with the favourites for the next Euros though, if not THE favourites.
    Indeed, by the end of the Germans campaign they were over-rated.

They played the same against Spain as they have throughout the tournament, only difference being Spain are solid at the back and dont give the ball away cheaply leaving themselves open to a rapid counter attack, unlike England, Argentina et al who really didnt look after the ball enough (or at all in Englands case) and in Argentina's case got caught with too many players comitted up field and were exposed due to a lack of proper fullbacks and the absent Walter Samuel who has had a fantastic renaissance with Inter lately.

When it comes to probing and picking an opening though a well organised and solid defence, at the moment the Spanish are head an shoulders above everybody else in world football. Added to that the win in Austria in 2008 has given them a belief and a winning mentality, not to mention that they can call on 20+ genuine world class players, and they have the righ ingredients to become THE dominant force over the next 20 years
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Banned

cant get over hansen and co's love in with spain and there criticism of the nasty dutch , what short memories they have it wasnt so long ago that spain were more than happy to kick lumps out of people, i remember the "butcher of bilbaos " open threat that he was going to cripple maradonna , which he nearly did. The spaniards are more than capable of looking after themselves and getting the odd sly dig in yet the beeb gang are comparing them to 1970 brazil and the total football played by the great dutch teams , both of whow would have hammered spain.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by stoneislander View Post
    cant get over hansen and co's love in with spain and there criticism of the nasty dutch , what short memories they have it wasnt so long ago that spain were more than happy to kick lumps out of people, i remember the "butcher of bilbaos " open threat that he was going to cripple maradonna , which he nearly did. The spaniards are more than capable of looking after themselves and getting the odd sly dig in yet the beeb gang are comparing them to 1970 brazil and the total football played by the great dutch teams , both of whow would have hammered spain.
    they were critisised because they are skillfull and capable of playing great football. They chose to kick **** out of the opposition instead then show no grace in losing. The ref that they are conveniently blaming was very lenient to the dutch, they should have had 2 more sent off and yet they will nit pick about an obstruction causing the goal that happened 3 minutes and 28 passes before the goal actually went in.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I think the Dutch 'hacking' angle was overplayed slightly. Yes, the likes of Van Bommel do leave their foot in but he's never been any different for club or country, whilst the De Jong high foot (whilst dangerous) didn't look to me like a pre-meditated act of thuggery, more a mis-timed attempt at getting to the ball. They are sore losers, but who wouldn't be after losing a World Cup Final in the 116th minute?!

Webb kept them in the game with his leniency, but in the heat of the moment they aren't going to be thinking about that and whilst childish, petulant and uncalled for it's understandable that they will look for someone to blame. They also didn't play for a 0-0 as some in the media have said, as they did have the best chance of the 90 when Robben went clear through and should have scored.

Saying that, I'm glad Spain won, I haven't enjoyed watching Holland that much in the tournament bar the odd bit of brilliance from Sneijder, but to take the deeds of Van Bommel and a couple of others and turn it around and call Holland a team of cheats and thugs was going over the top for me.

I'm glad it's all over really, I can get back to normality and do other things with my evenings!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think the Dutch 'hacking' angle was overplayed slightly. Yes, the likes of Van Bommel do leave their foot in but he's never been any different for club or country, whilst the De Jong high foot (whilst dangerous) didn't look to me like a pre-meditated act of thuggery, more a mis-timed attempt at getting to the ball. They are sore losers, but who wouldn't be after losing a World Cup Final in the 116th minute?!

Webb kept them in the game with his leniency, but in the heat of the moment they aren't going to be thinking about that and whilst childish, petulant and uncalled for it's understandable that they will look for someone to blame. They also didn't play for a 0-0 as some in the media have said, as they did have the best chance of the 90 when Robben went clear through and should have scored.

Saying that, I'm glad Spain won, I haven't enjoyed watching Holland that much in the tournament bar the odd bit of brilliance from Sneijder, but to take the deeds of Van Bommel and a couple of others and turn it around and call Holland a team of cheats and thugs was going over the top for me.

I'm glad it's all over really, I can get back to normality and do other things with my evenings!
    until the footie starts again in four weeks!