Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What used to be your night out!

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Default What used to be your night out!

Thinking back to when you were 16-20 ( sorry 18 lol ) what was your night out when town used to be a circuit and not full of bellends after scrapping in westfield st.

At ahem age we used to meet up in The Bras at 6:30, then around to The Nelson at 8, on to The Market at 10 and when finally kicked out of there at 11:30 into Park Lane..Bottles were cheaper than pints but no-one supped them because halves were for tarts LOL. Park Lane used to end up on Tequila Slammers for the last hour and not a "flavoured" beer or shot in site.

Walk home towards Dentons Green and past the chippy on Duke st which used to stay open till 3 AM

Good times!
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Cool

My first nights out were usually in Warrington as the bouncers there were less strict than in St Helens. Mr Smiths and Legends nightclubs were the usual destinations to head for.
    Sanctus Espiritus! Insanity is all around us...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

West Park, Grange, Bird, Top Nogs, Market, Nelson, Bank (with warrior on the door) Sefton, Cindogs, Chips home

With the bullion thrown in sometimes for a blastaway

But the main thing was getting out early - how different from today

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Would go on one of a number of pub crawl routes - could be town centre (often taking in the George when the present "mine host" was still at Little Rivi, Al!!) could be the Dentons Green / Windle / Moss Bank one, the Billinge one / the Rainford one / the Boddingtons one (13 Boddies pubs at that time, incl the one in Prescot the name of which I can't remember) a Sutton one........the list goes on.

Used to stay in only on a Monday and Wednesday (Wednesday for Sportsnight with Coleman and that dates me!)

Rarely went "clubbing" and the thought of having to actually pay to get in a pub would have been unthinkable in those days...............
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Would go on one of a number of pub crawl routes - could be town centre (often taking in the George when the present "mine host" was still at Little Rivi, Al!!) could be the Dentons Green / Windle / Moss Bank one, the Billinge one / the Rainford one / the Boddingtons one (13 Boddies pubs at that time, incl the one in Prescot the name of which I can't remember) a Sutton one........the list goes on.

Used to stay in only on a Monday and Wednesday (Wednesday for Sportsnight with Coleman and that dates me!)

Rarely went "clubbing" and the thought of having to actually pay to get in a pub would have been unthinkable in those days...............
    Which "disco Nights" did you frequent?

The ones that spring to mind was West Park Sunday night (As members we could have ale when no-one else could:eek The Grange on a Thursday, Mill house in Sutton any others

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Sticking to St. Helens:-

7.25 bus into town and first couple in the Sefton. After that it would be on to the Nelson. Maybe nip in the Bullion for one and then onto the Market/Lincoln.

The club would either be Appleby's or Lowies depending on the weather.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

Very early years we spent in the front room In the Talbot getting smashed off four pints of Dougies finest with other sixteen year olds.
    Then came the rock years, Rave cave then chessies and the raldo.
    Sometimes we did the Sefton,Market Nelson route which was bloody crap.
    Seem to remember a wine bar on Duke St which was a good crack for a while.
    After that we made our base in the Bird i thand when Scotch Rob had it. Bloody good local that was then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I went between Warrington and St. Helens most weeks.

Warrington - Oak Tree on Newton High St, bus to town at about 9 to Warrington where we went to Edisons (cheap shots), Flares, Panama's, Mcauleys, Tiger II (I think it used to be called - they did horribly strong cocktails for about £7) and then Mr. Smiths.

When it was St. Helens I used to go - Orange House to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer, Maloneys to take advatage of the 2 for 1 cocktails at happy hour, Nelson, Bar X and then Nexus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Which "disco Nights" did you frequent?

The ones that spring to mind was West Park Sunday night (As members we could have ale when no-one else could:eek The Grange on a Thursday, Mill house in Sutton any others
    I'll date myself now; when I was a member of West Park we supped and played poker all through Saturday night until Sunday dinner.

When I were a nipper, it was the Grange on a Thursday night, Ship in Rainhill on a Friday, Victoria in Rainhill on Saturday and Sunday in the Rocket.

As I got bigger, Prescot was my stomping ground: Vic, Bath Springs, Red Lion, Sun Inn, Tommy Halls and lock ins at the Crown. Depended upon what night it was as to the venue.

Thursday nights every now and then we'd go up to Park Lane after being in the Vic in Prescot, we'd go with a girl from the Vic who was shagging a taxi driver so fares for us were zero

Generally speaking though, people from Rainhill with a twang to our voices, were treated as full blown scouse in St Helens on a night out, ie we got ****ted or chased out of town by the majority. Never mind what Saint Bert says about there being no bellends about back then, there were hundreds of them making the glittering metropolis of Tellins a no-go zone and it's actually only in the last decade that Tellins has become my primary destination for a night out.

Noooobie

7 oclock bus into town, a couple in the wheatsheaf-the bus stop was outside! then onto the sefton, down to the bullion which had jerry springer on 24/7- up the stairs onto the roof (quick slash on the way throu) on route to the forum- stay there till 11 bells then toddle back throu town to the stink filled, stick your feet to the carpet haven that was the purple pit! Ah those were the days!

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    Generally speaking though, people from Rainhill with a twang to our voices, were treated as full blown scouse in St Helens on a night out, ie we got ****ted or chased out of town by the majority. Never mind what Saint Bert says about there being no bellends about back then, there were hundreds of them making the glittering metropolis of Tellins a no-go zone and it's actually only in the last decade that Tellins has become my primary destination for a night out.
    Seeing a ruck in town other than a couple of lads settleing a fault out was pretty rare mate, in fact most of the trouble was caused by a set few who everyone gave a wide berth to. Remeber a lad getting glassed in the bank one night and it was a horror story and front page news, nowadays there is probably 2 or 3 a night in the "main areas" and 3 venues have had licenses revoked for a time because of it in the last 3 years.

Problem now is that rather than a couple of knobs about you avoided, 50% of the population in certain bars get tanked up before they go out, then shove a £20 bag of marching powder up their snout and become UFC wannabees.

As for Disco nights, The Mill House and The Woodies used to be two good ones. Remeber being at the woodies for a smirnoff promo night that they had forgot to promote, went home with more kit than your standard vodka rep :-)
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

In The South Stand

a lot of my friends at the time lived round burscough,so on a saturday we would start in the hesketh arms or the royal coaching house and then go on to southport.we normally went to toad hall or the floral hall rock night.
    on a sunday they would come to st.helens to watch the match,go to the disco night at the woodlands,and then finish off with a curry at the shapla.
    happy days

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Christ there used to be 3 or 4 different options for us on nights out, depending what night it was.

Usually involve starting at the Woodies in Haresfinch or the Gerrard nearly Cowley. Mooch into town to the Royal Tav for a few and then descend anywhere. Any night would invariably involve The Nelson, The Market/Lincoln, Sefton, in the last couple of years the Zoo bar as well. Probably end up getting threw out of the Nexus as the bouncers searched for some drunk innocent to take their little penised frustration out on...

Used to avoid Chicago/Yates/Busbys/Maloneys etc.

Mill House on a monday, it was cracking, then we head to mr smiths after that for late night revelling...on a monday hahaha madness.

Sintellins was swingin t1t, market, nelson, over n over n over zzzzzzzzz

gerrars for quiz nights to

carr mill hotel main haunt. and the watersie until i got banned
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bert View Post
    Seeing a ruck in town other than a couple of lads settleing a fault out was pretty rare mate, in fact most of the trouble was caused by a set few who everyone gave a wide berth to. Remeber a lad getting glassed in the bank one night and it was a horror story and front page news, nowadays there is probably 2 or 3 a night in the "main areas" and 3 venues have had licenses revoked for a time because of it in the last 3 years.

Problem now is that rather than a couple of knobs about you avoided, 50% of the population in certain bars get tanked up before they go out, then shove a £20 bag of marching powder up their snout and become UFC wannabees.

As for Disco nights, The Mill House and The Woodies used to be two good ones. Remeber being at the woodies for a smirnoff promo night that they had forgot to promote, went home with more kit than your standard vodka rep :-)
    When I started going out circa 1990, St. Helens, Warrington and Leigh were our 'out of town' destinations.

St. Helens very rarely had any bother and neither did Leigh but Warrington used to kick off big time every week. We are not talking the odd ruck but full in brawls. Mr. Smith's used to have a permanent ambulance on stand by for the inevitable 2am kick off. Similarly, Chasers in Earlestown had the same problem at 2am so it wasn't all beer and skittles in the old days.

Warrington calmed down a lot over the 1990s but St. Helens went the other way and became the town to avoid.

Nowadays, they are all as likely to kick off as each other but I've never seen violence on the scale that you used to see at 2am in the early 90s. Unfortunately, fights at other times of the day in our locals, in Newton's more Neanderthal bars, are significantly more likely than they were then.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Only me that went to Crystals then?

Quote Originally Posted by Diva Saint View Post
    Crystals was a Thursday night place for us. the only night club where I've got away with haggling a price to get in

forum used to be the destination of choice on a thursday night , never had a bad night out in the forum
    Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote Originally Posted by Diva Saint View Post
    OLD WOMAN ALERT lol

I used to go there, but thought I would leave it off my list of gaffs I used to frequent, I wasnt a regular there, but when I did go in there I used to realise how lucky I was to live in sintellins. My cousin used to have a GOLD card for the palce, his pal used to play the piano in the liano lounge hahaha... I have had some great nights in there, and had some decent brawls to, non of which I started, was just a case of someone bump into you and then WHAMO off it went, the back doors would open and the bouncers would sling you out... jsut walk back around the front and pay again and they let you back in hahah... My memories of that gaff beside the brawls were "grab a granny" my old work pals would always make us all stick £1 into a pint glass and then it was off to the dance floor to see who could get the oldest swinger in town. Only ever won it once lol

CRYSTALS EXECUTIVE NIGHTCLUB !

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Crystals was a Thursday night place for us. the only night club where I've got away with haggling a price to get in
    haha yeah I used to do that "its £4 son" " can i give you £5 for 2 of us to get it mate" "go on then but make sure you drink loads inside" hahaha...what a place.

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

I used to go to Crystals on a Thursday, quite a while back when I was a student!

It was either there or Applebys back in the day.

Alfred/Raven and the like were frequented as well

Got A Season Ticket Sceptical Ste's Avatar

Would meet up in the Old Crow in Earlestown and then go to either:-
    Earlestown
    Old Crow, then walk into Earlestown calling in as many pubs on the way to the Griffin for a lock in.
    Newton
    Old Crow, then all the pubs up Newton high street to the Leigh Arms.
    St.Helens
    Old Crow, bus into town, Sefton, Market, Nelson, and the pubs down Duke street prior to going into Cindy’s.
    Warrington.
    Old Crow, bus into town, Hop Pole, Blue Bell then either Wilderspool or The Owl nightclub.

Just out of interest can anybody name the pub on Cross lane that everybody knew as Charlie Owens. I cannot for the life of me remember the actual pub name.

Got A Season Ticket little_frank's Avatar

When I was young and daft it was Triplex Rock Night on Friday, Chessies and 'raldo on Saturday, and occasionally The Raven.
    "F--k me, that water's never 15 deg.C" - little_frank

Learning All The Songs

Meet up at Sefton 7.30 2 pints, Lincoln 2 pints, Nelson 2 pints, then for some reason we walked round to the Bank, till closing.

Lowies was usually the nightclub of choice, but if the queue was massive we generally went back to Crystals.

At the time I was as happy as a pig in **** with that.