Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Smoking Ban

Ahem.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by guruofsteel View Post
    Yes Roy Castle died of lung cancer but it was never proven that secondary smoking was the cause...it was just assumed!!

Have a quick read of this article:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ul-476472.html

And here is a small part of it:
    Reputable research shows that a non-smoker inhales between a 500th and 1,000th of the toxins inhaled by the smoker himself. No matter what poor Roy Castle believed about the effects of years in smoky jazz clubs, there is little scientific proof that secondary smoke causes cancer.

Also read this from the British Medical Journal
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7398/1057

The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

What makes this study more significant than any other is that it took place over a 39 year period, and studied the results of non-smokers who lived with smokers..... meaning these non-smokers were exposed to secondhand smoke up to 24 hours per day; 365 days per year for 39 years. And there was still no relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality.

This report was of course silenced in the media; however in light of the damage to business, jobs, and the economy from smoking bans the BMJ report should be revisited by lawmakers as a reference tool and justification to repeal the now unnecessary and very damaging smoking ban laws.

Also significant is the World Health Organization (WHO) study which concluded "..secondhand smoking doesn't cause cancer..."

Excerpt:

Passive smoking doesn't cause cancer - official
    By Victoria Macdonald, Health Correspondent

The results are consistent with their being no additional risk for a person living or working with a smoker and could be consistent with passive smoke having a protective effect against lung cancer. The summary, seen by The Telegraph, also states: "There was no association between lung cancer risk and ETS exposure during childhood."

And if lawmakers need additional real world data to further highlight the need to eliminate these onerous and arbitrary laws, air quality testing by Johns Hopkins University, the American Cancer Society, a Minnesota Environmental Health Department, and various researchers whose testing and report was also peer reviewed and published in the esteemed British Medical Journal......prove that secondhand smoke is 2.6 - 25,000 times SAFER than occupational (OSHA) workplace regulations

lollol
    Sorry but if you have read Roy Castles book you will find that the type of Lung Cancer he eventually died from is in fact only associated with people who are heavy smokers. (oat meal cell type cancer its called) and of course he never smoked.

I agree that the smoking ban has had a significant effect on pub closures but any pubs that don't offer food and entertainment are struggling these days.

If the cost of alcohol was increased through off licenses and supermarkets but made cheaper though pubs this would certainly help. At least people drinking in the controlled environment of a pub giving a boost to trade income is better than kids being able to access alcohol more readily through other means.

It all depends on what they offer. Whilst not in St Helens, Telfords Warehouse in Chester is a pub that has live bands on and it thrives as a result.

Banned

Chuclking at this thread, really. In my position I can't go too much into things but I would say this:

Smoking is harmful - the key question is how harmful and dangerous it is.

I believe one of the very good points David Nutt made in the canabis debate before he was besmirched by the New Labour givernment:

"You have to accept young people like to experiment - with drugs and other potentially harmful activities - and what we should be doing in all of this is to protect them from harm at this stage of their live."

Once deduced, the choice of the smoker should be weighed up against the rights of the non smoker. A question of balance.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 8th January 2010 at 14:25.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Sorry but if you have read Roy Castles book you will find that the type of Lung Cancer he eventually died from is in fact only associated with people who are heavy smokers. (oat meal cell type cancer its called) and of course he never smoked.

lol lol lol lol ha ha ha ha ha lol lol lol lol lol

So the British Medical journal AND the World Health Organisation are both wrong. God help us then because they are the 2 most respected health organisations in the world lol

I suggest you read the linked articles again without your rose-tinted specs on.

Quote Originally Posted by cerapod View Post
    lol lol lol lol ha ha ha ha ha lol lol lol lol lol

So the British Medical journal AND the World Health Organisation are both wrong. God help us then because they are the 2 most respected health organisations in the world lol

I suggest you read the linked articles again without your rose-tinted specs on.
    Top man

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lager View Post
    The Royal was shut last night with a notice in the window from Punch Taverns stating they'd secured it. I always thought the Royal was doing ok a good traditional pub in the heart of the town centre .Anyone heard whats going on with it?
    Thr Royal closed because it was no longer making profit, The PUB CO would NOT help one bit. This was a thriving business less than 18 months ago. It was a haven in a town centre of glass and steel bars ( not pubs in my opinion ). Although i now live 400 miles away i still keep in touch with the ex licensee. I worked in the Royal for 4 years and know 1st hand how hard it was for them. Glad its re-opened and wish them the best of british, However if the PUB CO had stepped up to the mark and helped out the pub would prob not had closed in the first instance. AND YES, i know the deal the PUB CO has given to the new tennant.

Quote Originally Posted by cerapod View Post
    Charming.

Obviously opinions are great as long as they don't disagree with yours. :eek:

What is it with this place? Sheeps popular on here?

Seems to me if you disagree with DD or Number Two's opinion then there is open bullying.

Do you actually understand the meaning of a forum?
    a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

Open discussion. Not insults when you dare to disagree with the management.
    Give over. He's voicing his opinion. Just like you have. I'm guessing he perfectly understands what a forum is.