Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Saints ever beat Leeds in a Grand Final?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snake eater View Post
    You were in the same position last year. You dominated early on (and the first 10 mins in 07) but failed to put enough on the board on all 3 occasions.
    Last year we didn't play to the conditions. We were perfectly capable of beating Leeds last year. In 2007 we were not. We just weren't in the game. This year we were not but we haven't been playing right for ages, so the loss comes as no surprise to me at all. 2008 was a different matter and unique in the three events IMO.

We also put more points on the board in that game than in this and looked like we could nick it pretty much until the end. We could still do that kind of thing last year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintlySinner View Post
    Simple answer: not in the near future, no.

No arguments about the result from me. Congratulations to Leeds.

Saints face a few years in the Wilderness I feel. There are far to many average players and players who are too old in the playing personell. Contrast that to Leeds who have gamebreakers all across the park.
    What frightens me is our attack is dreadful, Pryce & Wilkin were invisible today - and these are going to be our leader next year!

Got A Season Ticket

Saints face a few years in the Wilderness
    I don't know.

Think about the game tonight.

No other teams in super league could match the intensity and pressure throughout the game, penning the other team back, getting yards forward etc etc.

I could see it being another leeds saints gf next year to be honest, it depends on how warrington and wigan do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I don't know.

Think about the game tonight.

No other teams in super league could match the intensity and pressure throughout the game, penning the other team back, getting yards forward etc etc.

I could see it being another leeds saints gf next year to be honest, it depends on how warrington and wigan do.
    We're losing two very influencial players and bringing in a prop we thought not good enough 2 years ago.

I can't see us improving next year

Got A Season Ticket Johnnytwohats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Saints just dont have the strike players with pace across the backline to get points on the board.

I said it last year and ill say it again. We need pace in the side mixed with quality

We are like the Bradford Dulls, good at getting there but not good enough to do the main job

Your comments about our lack of pace are spot on. But I would also add a lack of creativity at half-back and a lack of power in the forwards.

What's more I can't see it getting much better next season. The entire back division, except for Longy, will still be there and won't be any quicker. I suspect Pryce will still be stand-off. And Fozzard will be instead of, not in addition to, Cayless.

Hence, no pace, no creativity, no power.

The game was lost in the last 10 mins of the first half and the first 2 of the 2nd. Unfortunately an error each from our wingers cost us dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    I'm not in the mood to argue with you Bazdev. You weren't saying all this last week. Ganson did fine last week and fine this. It was Bentham who screwed us over.

As for Peacock, he isn't a patch on Graham. And as for your cheap shot about yards v celtic and salford, regrettably I have to say you have no idea what you are talking about as you have not watched Saints week in week out.
    He's not watched Wigan either, the guys an armchair critic.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

It was a 50/50 game. Real nip and tuck.

But if you study the facts

leeds outscored you 3 tries to 1

the only try you scored had an element of luck

Lee smiths try was offside but you were still behind at that stage with time running out.

You didn't nail home your first half advantage. Despite dominating territory you'd have gone in 4 points down if sinfield had been kicking well.

In the second half leeds kicking game was magnificent, they went ahead straight away and you started to tire.

Of the three grand finals this was the closest (and best) but you still weren't good enough.

Just not quite good enough.
    Yeah but hold on mate,your forgetting Meli's monumental cock up that probably turned the game.Leeds didn't split Saints open once tonight,our problem is in attack we don't have that cutting edge anymore,it was the same against Wigan last week,it's been the same all season.
    Ok Benthams decision was shocking but the Meli howler turned it for me,not just the 4 points conceded but it must be a real kick in the guts to the players,all that effort for that tit to do that

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Only 2 things cost us tonights game

One was wearing 2 and one wearing 5 . Bloody pathetic .

Great defence by all the others - lacked a little in attack (only Eastmond and Gidley looking dangerous) but on the whole a "GREAT" performance ruined by 2 so called pro's who cannot catch a ball.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Yeah but hold on mate,your forgetting Meli's monumental cock up that probably turned the game.Leeds didn't split Saints open once tonight,our problem is in attack we don't have that cutting edge anymore,it was the same against Wigan last week,it's been the same all season.
    Ok Benthams decision was shocking but the Meli howler turned it for me,not just the 4 points conceded but it must be a real kick in the guts to the players,all that effort for that tit to do that
    I agree with that and i remember thinking at the time it was a big moment.

Saints were on top but due to that error went in level instead of being infront.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    What frightens me is our attack is dreadful, Pryce & Wilkin were invisible today - and these are going to be our leader next year!
    Agree

Pryce is the invisible man - the only time he makes the headlines is for the wrong reasons.
    Wellens a fine servant but the mother in law is faster.
    Wingers - continual high error rates.
    Whats frightening is the lack of kids coming through to challenge them - meaning serious money needed on overseas players to strengthen this squad. Other than selling a big name under contract (in order to command a transfer fee) how do we raise the money for new signings.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post

Great defence by all the others - lacked a little in attack (only Eastmond and Gidley looking dangerous) but on the whole a "GREAT" performance ruined by 2 so called pro's who cannot catch a ball.
    That's pretty much it. There was nothing in the game, but leeds punished saints errors.

The errors leeds made were never punished.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Both of those individuals, particularly Wilkin, have been anonymous all season. It could be argued that this has been on the back of a small pack, injury crisis and the change in the interpretation of the rules. Or they have been found out as being ordainary. Jury remains out.

Snake Eater, I thhnk that is disrespectful of the other teams in the comp. Wigan and Wire will improve again. As will Huddersfield, Hull KR and Catalans. Saints need to evolve to keep up.
    Sanctus Espiritus! Insanity is all around us...

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post

Spot on.

Cant believe we didnt utilise Kyle in the first half tho, even with his try he only got the ball due to a deflection from the kick. He didnt get one pass in the centre position, every time it went out that way Wilkin kept stepping back on the inside

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    He's not watched Wigan either, the guys an armchair critic.
    I think you have an unhealthy obsession with what I do or dont do.

lose did we????

Quote Originally Posted by ant1983 View Post
    Legolas, I am sure you are a decent bloke and I know you are disappointed but you are embarrassing yourself right now. If you really think Saints did enough to win tonight then I highly recommend you remove those red specs.
    Up to the point when you got the repeat set gifted to you, neither did Leeds to be honest mate. You were leading a topsy turvy game at that point. You were gifted a try in the first half from a double movement, got away scot free with an airborne tackle and knees in. Sinfield knew you weren't doing enough to win that which is why he took the FG.

I am not saying we would have definately won it, but you got crucial decisions which turned the game in your favour.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post

I am not saying we would have definately won it, but you got crucial decisions which turned the game in your favour.
    I know, we got the rub of the green. That often happens in close finals.

Like 99 and 02 for example.

Noooobie

Amen

Cool

Spot on, captain. Great sides make their own luck and by virtue of the fact that Leeds have done the three-peat, its no exaggeration to say they are a great team. Perhaps the greatets team in Super League.

Got A Season Ticket

Spot on, captain. Great sides make their own luck and by virtue of the fact that Leeds have done the three-peat, its no exaggeration to say they are a great team. Perhaps the greatets team in Super League.

Well no other team has won 3 on the bounce, so they are up there as one of the best!

Myabe they need 4 to be certain!

Thumbs up

Well no other team has won 3 on the bounce, so they are up there as one of the best!

Perhaps so. I wouldnt back against it happening.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

You can't tell who is the best side in Super League history by anything other than silverware. It's hard to compare sides from different years, but while Saints deserved to win tonight, Leeds are without doubt the best side in the country.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I think you have an unhealthy obsession with what I do or dont do.

lose did we????
    No just sussed you out. A nonentity.

Got A Season Ticket

Perhaps so. I wouldnt back against it happening.
    Can't see it to be honest, it get's harder every season.

Losing a grand final is more likely for leeds, sooner or later someone will turn you over in the big game or in the playoff eiminator.

Got A Replica Shirt SaintsGirls's Avatar

Whatevers been said ... and yes I do think Benthams decision had a huge part in the result... I've always felt the Champions should be the team who finished top over the season.
    The last few years I've geen gutted, this year as frustrated as I am the best team over the season won.

Hate the fact that its the first season for ages we've walked away with nothing, and hope next season at some point Mick Potter will refer to us as 'we' and not St Helens ... actually make me feel like the guy is part of this mighty set up not an outsider looking in...but thats all for another day...

Season over, lets start looking forward to the next eh? Whatever happens will be there with my family in the redvee supporting the guys