Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A heavy heart and a sad day....

Starting A Programme Collection

Default A heavy heart and a sad day....

I will be watching the game on Saturday with a very heavy heart.
    I still cant believe we will not be seeing longy or Gilly in a saints shirt after the final.
    Its sad and the end of a fantastic,exiting,successful era .
    If we lift the trophy,it will be be a blissfully happy but poignant moment.

Learning All The Songs saintollie's Avatar

the king is dead long live the king! it was ever thus!!!

a sad day none the less

but it could be a good day

Got A Season Ticket Naturalised_Yicker's Avatar

I've never made it a secret to my rugby watching brethren but I will miss Gilly so much more than Longy.

Injuries apart I do not feel he (Longy) has contributed in any great way for not only this last season but others in recent years. The betting nonsense also put the top hat on it for me.

Yes ,he has the cheeky chappy,regular dodgy hairstyle and somewhat cocky style of play that a lot of supporters find appealing but its not to my taste.

On the balance of things he DOES owe the S a big game on saturday, whereas Gilly can just put his usual 110% in and that'll make me happy. Gillys a team man whereas......!

Starting A Programme Collection Bainsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalised_Yicker View Post
    I've never made it a secret to my rugby watching brethren but I will miss Gilly so much more than Longy.

Injuries apart I do not feel he (Longy) has contributed in any great way for not only this last season but others in recent years. The betting nonsense also put the top hat on it for me.

Yes ,he has the cheeky chappy,regular dodgy hairstyle and somewhat cocky style of play that a lot of supporters find appealing but its not to my taste.

On the balance of things he DOES owe the S a big game on saturday, whereas Gilly can just put his usual 110% in and that'll make me happy. Gillys a team man whereas......!
    Lmao! Gerraway! Fool! lol

Got A Season Ticket

we will soon forget about them next season if we bring in replacements, no sentiment in sport so lets hope they don't let us down on Sat, personally i won't miss Longy one bit, Gilly will be a loss due to his versatility.

as long as they bring in a couple of good players but i think we will go with the young players coming through unfortunatley. just dont think some of them are good enough.

I agree. Long hasn't been that important for a couple of years.

He'll have my full support for one more game then I look forward to booing him next year!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

They come and they go, we the fans are the only ones who truly stick around at clubs. Both players have had great careers at Saints but they'll be replaced and we'll move on. The worst for me personally was when we all realised that Sculthorpe had gone as a regular captain and match-winner, and seeing him trying to re-capture it was worse to watch than simply letting players go on to finish their career elsewhere.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by saintlysid View Post
    I will be watching the game on Saturday with a very heavy heart.
    I still cant believe we will not be seeing longy or Gilly in a saints shirt after the final.
    Its sad and the end of a fantastic,exiting,successful era .
    If we lift the trophy,it will be be a blissfully happy but poignant moment.
    You big wet fish! lol

If you take into account the likely demise of KC, Wello etc, you are going to be in tears every year for the next decade.

As it happens, Longy isn't really good enough anymore so I'd have a heavier heart if he stayed and we ended up remembering him more for the wrong reasons.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

You big wet fish! lol

If you take into account the likely demise of KC, Wello etc, you are going to be in tears every year for the next decade.

As it happens, Longy isn't really good enough anymore so I'd have a heavier heart if he stayed and we ended up remembering him more for the wrong reasons.
    god you are a hard man dave

i'll miss them both but life goes on

"you dont need to win trophies to be successful..........."

Sir Rafael Benitez

True, players should always try and leave on a high or with their reputation intact. How Hull fans will think of Long in 2011 after a further 2 seasons of decline is another matter, but I think he's leaving us at the right time with us all still remembering his great years more than the last couple. There are younger fans who may just remember Scully as injury prone and won't remember his true greatness as a player, and thats the worst way to go out.

Starting A Programme Collection PariaH's Avatar

both have been great servants to saints, hope they both go out on a high.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    I agree. Long hasn't been that important for a couple of years.
    Nah, but he was fecking vital to us on Saturday.

Got A Season Ticket

Said it before but Gilmours departure will be a massive, massive loss...

You big wet fish! lol

DD,iM afraid your talking out of your ar.e.
    Longy is still the best scrum half in superleague.
    OK,so his kicking isnt what it used to be. but he still moves the team around the field like no other. He will be sorely missed,as will Gilly.
    We will see just how much we miss him next season by our results.
    What amazes me is there are people on here that still believe we are going to sign players to replace long and Gilmore.We wont be signing anyone and its gonna be a torrid 2010!
    Incidentaly,dont me you wont have a tear in your eye when your watching Kieron playing his last game for the Saints!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    True, players should always try and leave on a high or with their reputation intact. How Hull fans will think of Long in 2011 after a further 2 seasons of decline is another matter, but I think he's leaving us at the right time with us all still remembering his great years more than the last couple. There are younger fans who may just remember Scully as injury prone and won't remember his true greatness as a player, and thats the worst way to go out.
    You have a point Gray.I will always remember Longy and Gilly at thier best.
    I think I could accept thier leaving all the easier if we were replacing them with other players, but its not going to happen.It will be a case of managing with the resources we already have.

DD,iM afraid your talking out of your ar.e.
    Longy is still the best scrum half in superleague.
    OK,so his kicking isnt what it used to be. but he still moves the team around the field like no other. He will be sorely missed,as will Gilly.
    We will see just how much we miss him next season by our results.
    What amazes me is there are people on here that still believe we are going to sign players to replace long and Gilmore.We wont be signing anyone and its gonna be a torrid 2010!
    Incidentaly,dont me you wont have a tear in your eye when your watching Kieron playing his last game for the Saints!!
    I'm not going to speak for Dave, but....
    We've already replaced Long or Gilmour as we have Eastmond already here as the No.7 for 2010 and have signed Soliola already to play centre or second row as an effective replacement for Gilly.
    And secondly, Long is not the best scrum half in Super League. If he were we would have offered him a new 2 year deal, or Leeds would have snapped him up in a second. He may well be one of the 2 or 3 best scrum halves ever to play for our club and will go down as an all-time great.
    But its time to part ways, the timing is right and we have to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'm not going to speak for Dave, but....
    We've already replaced Long or Gilmour as we have Eastmond already here as the No.7 for 2010 and have signed Soliola already to play centre or second row as an effective replacement for Gilly.
    And secondly, Long is not the best scrum half in Super League. If he were we would have offered him a new 2 year deal, or Leeds would have snapped him up in a second. He may well be one of the 2 or 3 best scrum halves ever to play for our club and will go down as an all-time great.
    But its time to part ways, the timing is right and we have to move on.
    Eastmond is no replacement for Longy.
    Hes a great prospect and one day he may be half as good as longy but hes still miles away. Eastmond is no midfield general and doesnt have half of Longys nous. You may not think Longy is the best and your entitled to your view ,but a lot of Saints fans would take issue with you, me included.
    Incidentally Leeds already have an established scrum half under a four year contract.
    If Longy is past it why is he Saints first choice no.7 when fit??, up to and including his last game for the club?
    Gilmour is one of our best attacking players, he has no injury issues, (unlike Soliola),he can tackle a tank and hes as effective now as he was when he first signed for the club..Boy are we going to miss him next season. He should have been given a two year, end of.
    I accept its probably time for Longy to go. I simply said that it will be a sad day for me to see him and Gilly play thier last game for Saints.

Eastmond is no replacement for Longy.
    Hes a great prospect and one day he may be half as good as longy but hes still miles away. Eastmond is no midfield general and doesnt have half of Longys nous.
    I really do agree with a lot of what you hav stated above, but its important to remember that when we signed him, Longy was no replacement for Goulding, and was no midfield general himself.

If the potential is there you have got to give them the chance to develop, and the only way they will do that is by regularly playing in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by E Saint View Post
    I really do agree with a lot of what you hav stated above, but its important to remember that when we signed him, Longy was no replacement for Goulding, and was no midfield general himself.

If the potential is there you have got to give them the chance to develop, and the only way they will do that is by regularly playing in that position.
    Lets hope Eastmond is still here after the end of next season. and gets the chance to learn his trade further.By all accounts his agent, Martin Offiah,is asking for a kings randsome in wages for his renewed contract.

Lets hope Eastmond is still here after the end of next season. and gets the chance to learn his trade further.By all accounts his agent, Martin Offiah,is asking for a kings randsome in wages for his renewed contract.
    After he's tasted success on Saturday, he'll stay

Quote Originally Posted by E Saint View Post
    After he's tasted success on Saturday, he'll stay
    lol,lets hope your right. You know,I have a feeling about Saturday...I sense a Saints win.Being underdogs suits us.
    Have a great day out at the game.

lol,lets hope your right. You know,I have a feeling about Saturday...I sense a Saints win.Being underdogs suits us.
    Have a great day out at the game.
    You too mate.

Got A Season Ticket Motherwell Saint's Avatar

Longy is a legend and Gilly has given a number of sterling years of service too, and it will be an emotional occasion without doubt.

I just can't help thinking Longy will want to go out not just a winner, but having made a major contribution to our success.

Last minute drop goal anyone??!!!!

Banned

You know,I have a feeling about Saturday...
    I do too but it's more along the lines of dread than anything else!