Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Botev Plovdiv Ski View Post
    But it involves watching Tw*t Coomes.

I don't bother watching it live any more because I have suffer him.
    I have no issue with Coombes really, can take him or leave him. Mike Carlson is however the best summariser and NFL pundit we have in the UK by a country mile. I quite happily watch SNF in its entirety for his words of wisdom whereas the Sky coverage annoys the hell out of me and I usually Sky+ it and start watching at about 8pm so I can fast forward through their inane ramblings (which usually have nothing to do with the game we're all watching).

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I have no issue with Coombes really, can take him or leave him. Mike Carlson is however the best summariser and NFL pundit we have in the UK by a country mile. I quite happily watch SNF in its entirety for his words of wisdom whereas the Sky coverage annoys the hell out of me and I usually Sky+ it and start watching at about 8pm so I can fast forward through their inane ramblings (which usually have nothing to do with the game we're all watching).
    Coombes is an idiot and so is Carlson. I really cannot stand either of them. Coombes knows naff all and does these stupid hand movements. Carlson is better but still terrible.

The Sky guys are far from brilliant but the 5 production is amateurish at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    Coombes is an idiot and so is Carlson.
    Explain!
    I have mates from the US who've watched games over here who consider Carlson the best NFL summariser on the box on either side of the Atlantic. Maybe you don't like his style but you call him an idiot! What are you smoking?!

Explain!
    I have mates from the US who've watched games over here who consider Carlson the best NFL summariser on the box on either side of the Atlantic. Maybe you don't like his style but you call him an idiot! What are you smoking?!

He makes stupid jokes and comes across as arrogant and unprofessional to me.

He spends entire broadcasts putting teams down. For example i remember us being on and he spent the entire time going "the NFC North is rubbish, the Lions are rubbish, this game is rubbish, neither team are good". Then an entire 5 minutes going on about how weird Atari Bigby's name is. His job should be to promote the game not to diminsh it.

When they come back from the American broadcast he always says exactly the same as the American summariser and says "yeah i though the same as Chris Collinsworth etc" and shows the exact same play. Maybe he did see the same, but it'd be nice if he could present something different than what we saw 30 seconds ago.

His keys to the game are quite decent i'll admit and something you don't get on sky.

He probably isn't an idiot and does know his stuff, but to me the whole 5 production (including Coombes and Carlson) are amateurish and just come over as unprofessional. I just don't think he is as good an analyst as he is made out to be. I'm not saying Halling and Cadle are better analysts, but they do a better job IMO.

As for the best on either side of the pond, absolutely no way on earth.

The only presenter who i think is worse than Carslon is Troy Aikman.
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

He spends entire broadcasts putting teams down. For example i remember us being on and he spent the entire time going "the NFC North is rubbish, the Lions are rubbish, this game is rubbish, neither team are good". Then an entire 5 minutes going on about how weird Atari Bigby's name is. His job should be to promote the game not to diminsh it.
    No it isn't, his job is to comment on what he thinks and sees. I'm fed up with this new style of Sky-induced broadcasting where analysts feel it is their job to hype up 'the product' despite its deficiencies. It ends up with a situation where we have Hemmings and Stevo hyping up RL and Keyes and Redknapp hyping up the Premier League week in week out like they are PR agents despite it being dull half the time.
    Carlson knows a hell of a lot about the game both at pro and college level and tries to add a certain amount of humour to the shows. The fact that the show is on in the middle of the night, is viewed by lots of students, is the only live weekly game broadcast on terrestrial TV and the only chance the NFL has of attracting potential converts means it has to be less formal than some purists would like.
    I gain more information watching Carlson in half an hour than I do from Cadle, Halling and their inane guests in 6hrs. Five's coverage is indeed very amateurish, but that is down to lack of funds and lack of technical expertise that the likes of Sky have. The fact they spent money to give us a live NFL game on terrestrial TV every week should be applauded.
    Unless of course you want everything on Sky with adverts every 10 minutes where commentators and analysts have to tell you every other sentence how great the league is, how great everything else is and act as if they are acting on behalf of a sport instead of being an impartial observer.

I don't expect them to say everything is wonderful, for example you can only say the Lions are poo. You can't say they are fantastic. At times he belittles teams/the game, that may be his opinion and he may be correct, but if I flick it on and the commentator is saying how rubbish things are I'm not going to want to continue watching. If things are as bad as he often makes out he should quit his job.

As for the jokes, fine jokes are fine, but his are rubbish and add to the overall feel of amateurishness of 5, when he is making jokes only he and Coombes get them.

I'd rather have a professionally presented show with breaks than 5. Sky aren't brilliant by any means but they are far better. Coombes in particular on 5 grates me, his knowledge of the game is appauling, Carlson it's your opinion he is good. IMO he is poor.

Carlson does know his stuff, but he isn't some kind of oracle. A lot of the stuff he says is obvious stuff.

I don't expect them to say everything is wonderful, for example you can only say the Lions are poo. You can't say they are fantastic. At times he belittles teams/the game, that may be his opinion and he may be correct, but if I flick it on and the commentator is saying how rubbish things are I'm not going to want to continue watching. If things are as bad as he often makes out he should quit his job.

As for the jokes, fine jokes are fine, but his are rubbish and add to the overall feel of amateurishness of 5, when he is making jokes only he and Coombes get them.

I'd rather have a professionally presented show with breaks than 5. Sky aren't brilliant by any means but they are far better. Coombes in particular on 5 grates me, his knowledge of the game is appauling, Carlson it's your opinion he is good. IMO he is poor.

Carlson does know his stuff, but he isn't some kind of oracle. A lot of the stuff he says is obvious stuff.
    We obviously have different opinions on what we want to see. I prefer someone who knows the game, I dont really care if its stylish and glitzy like the Sky productions.
    As for your arguments about Carlson talking bad about the game, well he only does so in certain situations and I find an analyst who says such things refreshing and frankly alot more honest than the PR agents Sky hire for all of their sports coverage.
    For example, you'd believe the Packers were some all-conquering 9-4 powerhouse from watching Sky, CBS, Fox etc when infact we are merely above average playing in a woefully poor division. I have no issue with being told that and indeed prefer it.
    Its also ridiculous to state that Carlson should quit if he hates the game. He is forever praising the likes of Brady and Manning for being all-time greats. If the criteria of being a fan of a sport means that you can only be positive about it then based on comments over the past 12 months neither you or I would ever be let back into Knowsley Road mate!

We obviously have different opinions on what we want to see. I prefer someone who knows the game, I dont really care if its stylish and glitzy like the Sky productions.
    As for your arguments about Carlson talking bad about the game, well he only does so in certain situations and I find an analyst who says such things refreshing and frankly alot more honest than the PR agents Sky hire for all of their sports coverage.
    Cadle and Halling know the game. Carlson obviously knows the game. No denying that, but i know the game, and most of the stuff he says is blatantly obvious stuff. He really doesn't present anything new.

Look if he things stuff is bad then fine that is his opinion and as his job he can say that. I just think he goes OTT with it and to a person putting it on, i'm not going to want to watch if the guy is saying everything is terrible. I'm not saying i want a commentator who says everything is wonderful and you know that full well.

It has nothing to do with being stylish and glitzy, but professionally presented is all i ask for. Everything, including Carlson, Coombes and 5 is ameturish. Sky, maybe don't know as much but they put it across excellently. 5 miss the re-commencement of games while them two are talking, the graphics are wrong, they get names wrong (well Coombes) etc.

For example, you'd believe the Packers were some all-conquering 9-4 powerhouse from watching Sky, CBS, Fox etc when infact we are merely above average playing in a woefully poor division. I have no issue with being told that and indeed prefer it.
    Are you really suggesting Carlson is the only commentator who is honest?

You wouldn't be told we are all conquering by any of those, you've made that up. Halling said we are average, the others have said we are good (which we are) and have a chance to get to the SB (which we do).

Its also ridiculous to state that Carlson should quit if he hates the game. He is forever praising the likes of Brady and Manning for being all-time greats. If the criteria of being a fan of a sport means that you can only be positive about it then based on comments over the past 12 months neither you or I would ever be let back into Knowsley Road mate!
    Again, not what i was suggesting. There is a difference between being negative because it is neccesary. You can only say the Lions are poor, but he goes to far IMO.

I just don't like him as an analyst either.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Why watch the Sky game anyway? Cadle and Halling are poor... I just find the Broncos game on the net now and stick to watching that.

@RedveeDotNet

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Why watch the Sky game anyway? Cadle and Halling are poor... I just find the Broncos game on the net now and stick to watching that.
    Generally i do that. I find the Packers games elsewhere but i still have the Sky broadcast on in the background.

now the playoffs are upon us who is everyones tip for the superbowl this year?

colts or saints for me
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

San Diego

Indy and New Orleans may regret going easy in the last few weeks because it is hard to regain form and momentum whilst playing suddend death games. San Diego look the most complete team on current form, and I think they'll make the AFC title game. If Indy get back on track I'd tip them to win the AFC given that they'd have home-field advantage if they played San Diego in the AFC title game.
    The NFC looks wide open, and I'm quietly optimistic my Green Bay Packers can shock a few and make the NFC title game. Minnesota, Philly, Arizona, Dallas and N.O. all have weaknesses so its there to be won really.
    As a guess from here I'd go Indianapolis vs Dallas if Indy hit form, if not then San Diego vs Dallas, but I have no confidence in that prediction.

Starting A Programme Collection Bobbyrlfc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post

colts or saints for me
    J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
    Hope we do.. If we can beat Cinci on Saturday night, then Nice easy task Vs. San Diego, then an Easier tie Vs. Indianapolis and finally the easiest of All Minnesota/Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyrlfc View Post
    J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
    Hope we do.. If we can beat Cinci on Saturday night, then Nice easy task Vs. San Diego, then an Easier tie Vs. Indianapolis and finally the easiest of All Minnesota/Saints.
    well you got the first part right, going well the jets, a nice outside bet. New coach and a rookie QB too!
    You're all out of time.

Went to bed last night devastated after that Packers loss. I always thought we'd be lucky to win it this year and I honestly always thought 2010 would be the year that we'd be looking to peak as a team, and I would have more than taken an 11-5 season and play-off berth before the season started.

But to come back from so far back to lose like that is horrible.

My Superbowl hope now is ABF - Anyone But Favre!

colts or saints for me
    Closet Colts fan
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

Starting A Programme Collection Bobbyrlfc's Avatar

well you got the first part right, going well the jets, a nice outside bet. New coach and a rookie QB too!
    Well we got 50/1 at Indianapolis Game, Indianapolis (14-0 at the time), already had no.1 berth, so were gonna play reserves, we turned up and smacked them on their front lawn, then Slaughtered Cinci, and then beat that long haired fool and cinci again, and now i really fancy us or the ravens for the Superbowl!

The New Head Coach Ryan is doing wonders, but this Schottenheimer is the one, he's fantastic, got Sanchez the QB working superbly, sadly he's off to Buffalo come April.

Keep the Faith, win us £250 J-E-T-S!

49ers v broncos for this years wembley game, i'll defo be there, plus rumours of a second game to be announced within 2 weeks,

cards looked very tired against the saints after the awesome greenbay game from the previous week.

fancy the saints v colts in the superbowl now, colts to edge it
    You're all out of time.

Just had my first coaching session for the Lancashire Wolverines. Straight into contact next week, with a 100 page playbook to learn.

Lovely stuff.

Noooobie

I hope that the NFL fans on here got to watch the Vikings - Saints game. It had it all: bad decisions, injustice, violence, mistakes, victory snatched from the jaws of defeat etc

Sorry that the other division matchup was a bust. It was half a game too far for the Jets who ended up looking like a team that had squeeked into the playoffs. By the 4th quarter Peyton Manning was playing them like a banjo.

It was a mixed bag of a season in Cincinnati. Obviously the death of Chris Henry was the big story. The fact that we now have a reasonable defence and a running game was offset by the drop in form of Carson Palmer.

If anyone follows the college stuff, it was an amazing year for the Cincinnati Bearcats. We got absolutely stuffed by Florida in the Sugar Bowl (a 1500 mile road trip!) but it was great to finish the season ranked in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cincinnati Kid View Post
    If anyone follows the college stuff, it was an amazing year for the Cincinnati Bearcats. We got absolutely stuffed by Florida in the Sugar Bowl (a 1500 mile road trip!) but it was great to finish the season ranked in the top 5.
    You had an awesome year, that conference title clinching win at Pittsburgh was one of the games of the year for me. It'll be interesting to see how you repeat that with Kelly having gone to Notre Dame.
    I have a good mate who studies at the University of Texas and he got me into the Longhorns (been an NFL fan for 20 years but never knew much about CF a few years ago. Talk about heartbreaking, losing McCoy like that in the National Title game and then seeing Alabama crowned champions whilst forever thinking UT would have beaten them with McCoy on the field.
    College Football is now an addiction of mine, 13-14 weeks of must-watch games every Autumn, and it comes and then goes oh so quickly!

Noooobie

The whole reason a bunch of us did the insane drive to the superdome is that we don't envisage UC doing anything like that for another 20 years. I don't know if you are aware of the recent rise of the Bearcats but a few years ago we switched conferences to the Big East and with that we were suddenly able to recruit a higher calibre of player. Cincinnati is pound for pound one of the strongest cities in the states at the high school level. All of a sudden the good local kids didn't move out of town to go to Ohio State, Michigan etc. Kelly was on record as saying he didn't have to recruit outside the city. The biggest danger for us now, is that he took his crew with him and they will be mining this heavily catholic town for talent.

We have been lucky in recruiting coaches, our last two have been excellent. Good luck to Kelly. He was a class act on and off the field. He should have stayed for the bowl game though - not that it would have made a difference. It will be interesting to see if our quaterback goes higher in the draft than Tebow. (I'm guessing you know all the theories about NFL v college quarterbacks.)

My big regret of this season was that it was one where we didn't play against Ohio State. We might have had a shot at them in the middle of the season.

The championship game was good from an outsiders view. I thought it was going to go to the dogs when McCoy went out. They held up admirably.

Due to one of the local statutes being weird the University of Cincinnati is one of (I'm told) only 3 colleges that can serve ale in the ground on game days. What more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cincinnati Kid View Post
    It will be interesting to see if our quaterback goes higher in the draft than Tebow. (I'm guessing you know all the theories about NFL v college quarterbacks.)

Tony Pike is your QB isn't he?

Tebow will go round 1 (most likely to the Jags) on name alone and the fact he has the character.

That said he will almost certainly be a bust in the NFL. I'm sure i read he dropped 5 or 6 of his first snaps at the senior bowl practises.

Tony Pike is your QB isn't he?

Tebow will go round 1 (most likely to the Jags) on name alone and the fact he has the character.

That said he will almost certainly be a bust in the NFL. I'm sure i read he dropped 5 or 6 of his first snaps at the senior bowl practises.
    I was never particularly confident Tebow would go in the 1st Round, but the Jags could snag him and it could be a good fit for him being in Florida with a middle-ranking team. He can't play in a structured system as a QB in the NFL, I think that has been agreed, but in a wild-cat offence it could work, or he could come in as an impact style QB every now and again like Vick did this year at Philly.

But looking at the draft possibilities, I only see 5 QB'S that will have the NFL teams that interested really (Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Pike and Tebow) so Tebow has potentially got lucky in that there isn't a big elite number of QB's turning pro this year otherwise he may have gone 2nd or 3rd round IMO.

Personally think Clausen has made a mistake going pro this soon as I think Notre Dame will be good this Autumn under Kelly and he could have had a mammoth year and etched himself into Notre Dame (and therefore College Football) folklore leading them back to a BCS Bowl Game. But I said that about Sanchez coming out of USC last year and he hasn't done too badly!