Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: NFL Thread

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Anyone bought tickets for the Broncos/49ers game today? Can't wait!!!!

@RedveeDotNet

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    bf is a 49ers fan and bought tickets yesterday. He's in the end zone (i think )

Lads weekend away i London lol
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Yeah I got 4 tickets on Monday, bit xpensive but worth it, gonna go down on the Saturday and come back on the Monday, make a weekend of it........GO NINERS!!!!!!
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It has the potential to be the best of the Wembley games so far, they look quite evenly matched and both teams have a history with fans over here from the days of Elway, Montana, Young etc so there will be a lot of people there following their team as opposed to just going to watch a game.

Noooobie

I saw Tony Dungy talk about Tebow. He said he would take him, even with his NFL style 'faults' as he knows how to win. I would never argue against Tony Dungy, however Tebow's constant proselytizing is a real drag. (This coming from a man who has a signed Kurt Warner St Louis Rams jersey on which he also writes the bible verse number for "with God all things are possible.") This upcoming superbowl anti-abortion ad will be a taste of things to come if Tebow does make it in the pros.

I expect good things to happen at Notre Dame but expecting them this season might be a tall order for Kelly. As expected Kelly is going to take all the best highschoolers out of this town. Exhibit A

http://www.examiner.com/x-30967-Cinc...and-Notre-Dame

You can add another one today when we lost an outside tackle prospect also from St X (Who were the number 1 ranked highschool in the nation 2 years ago)

Nobody is backing the saints for the big one. I would love them to pull it off though, even if it means that the jack ass that is Jeremy Shockey will get a ring. Reading about Drew Brees and John Terry in the same week almost makes you ashamed to be English.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Personally think Clausen has made a mistake going pro this soon as I think Notre Dame will be good this Autumn under Kelly and he could have had a mammoth year and etched himself into Notre Dame (and therefore College Football) folklore leading them back to a BCS Bowl Game.
    100% correct decision to come out this year. Bradford should have come out last year and he'd have rivaled Stafford and maybe ended up number 1, as it is he's had a injury which will concern a lot of people and he's fallen down the boards abit.

Clausen just had arguably one of the best junior seasons of a QB ever in college. His stats this year (obviously not the only way to measure a player) are above Rivers, Manning (both), Roethlisberger, Ryan and Stafford had in their junior seasons. It doesn't neccesarily mean he will be great at the pro level but on the face of it he is extremely pro ready. He isn't going to go any higher than this year, if they have any sense the Rams will pick him 1st.

Tebow i don't rate as a QB. If your going to draft him as a QB he should be taken in rounds 2 or 3. As it is i'm almost 100% certain he goes in the 1st.

Oh, and i'm backing the Saints this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    100% correct decision to come out this year. Bradford should have come out last year and he'd have rivaled Stafford and maybe ended up number 1, as it is he's had a injury which will concern a lot of people and he's fallen down the boards abit
    All hindsight though, nobody knew he was going to get injured and he wanted to win a national title at OU, fair play to him. I think I have more of an emotional attachment to college football now I have a mate studying at the University of Texas and because I enjoy College Football just as much as the NFL I never want star players to jump earlier than they need to because the 4years maximum is never that long anyway.

The adoration and freedom that players get at college level sticks with them throughout their pro career and I think it sad when players do 2 or 3 years then jump for the big bucks when they could wait another year or two.

Clausen had a very good year, no doubt, but ND didn't challenge. They could this year, and the QB that gets ND back into the BCS big time will be immortalised, and he's potentially backed out of it in order to try and win 5 or 6 games in St Louis etc.

I get what you are saying, but i disagree.

The adoration and freedom that players get at college level sticks with them throughout their pro career and I think it sad when players do 2 or 3 years then jump for the big bucks when they could wait another year or two.

Clausen had a very good year, no doubt, but ND didn't challenge. They could this year, and the QB that gets ND back into the BCS big time will be immortalised, and he's potentially backed out of it in order to try and win 5 or 6 games in St Louis etc.

Morally, or ideally your probably correct they should stay for the full 4 years, but that just isn't realistic.

Clausen has just had a phenomenal year, is ultimately the #1 rookie QB and is likely to go number 1 overall. He cannot improve his draft stock anymore. The only way for it to go is down. If he stays in college ND aren't going to be major contenders next year even with him (certainly not for a national championship) and he risks the chance of injury which could mean his draft stock plummets or at worst he cannot play anymore. He plays badly and his stock goes down.

Risking your entire future and the career you've always wanted on one year in college when you simply cannot improve your prospects of being drafted in the NFL are stupid.

Rightly or wrongly ND is only a steping stone to get him into the NFL.
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    Risking your entire future and the career you've always wanted on one year in college when you simply cannot improve your prospects of being drafted in the NFL are stupid.

Rightly or wrongly ND is only a steping stone to get him into the NFL.
    This is obviously true for Clausen otherwise he wouldn't have decided to turn pro. Only the player can make the decision, but the theory of players wanting to be famous and succesful isn't merely an NFL one.

Colt McCoy is the perfect example of a college QB who will be picked in the
    1st round who wanted to play every single game he was eligible for at UT before he even worried about the NFL. It isn't a general rule that all college players are thinking automatically about the NFL, some wait and take it when it comes.

There are plenty of players who will be remembered primarily for what they did at college level, and winning at a historic college can sometimes beat anything short of a Superbowl at pro level.

As for No.1 pick, yeah it maybe Clausen, but it should be Ndamukong Suh.

This is obviously true for Clausen otherwise he wouldn't have decided to turn pro. Only the player can make the decision, but the theory of players wanting to be famous and succesful isn't merely an NFL one.

Colt McCoy is the perfect example of a college QB who will be picked in the
    1st round who wanted to play every single game he was eligible for at UT before he even worried about the NFL. It isn't a general rule that all college players are thinking automatically about the NFL, some wait and take it when it comes.
    I never said they want to be famous and succesful but surely for the top players the aim is to make it to the NFL. If you cannot make your stock any higher and cannot do any more, your team isn't a contender then why bother going back? Sure College life is probably brilliant, but why put off making millions (possibly last year with no rookie pay scale) and fulfilling your dream.

Colt McCoy could stay because he could have improved his draft stock, as it is he'll be a late first/early second round pick and pretty average.

I'm not saying all players should leave early, i'd like more to stay because i really like college football too but i don't see how Clausen has in any way made the wrong decision to leave.

There are plenty of players who will be remembered primarily for what they did at college level, and winning at a historic college can sometimes beat anything short of a Superbowl at pro level.
    True. Tebow for example. He is arguably the greatest ever college player and i'm not denying that winning at a good college may be the best thing many players do in a career but every player will want to play in the NFL and if you get the chance early then most should/would take it.

As for No.1 pick, yeah it maybe Clausen, but it should be Ndamukong Suh.

Disagree again for a number of reasons.

1. QB is more important than DT

2. Clausen could be the face of the franchise for a team which is struggling with marketability.

3. 2 of the last 3 first round picks have been on the D line. That is alot of money to have invested.

4. Last year they took a LT...how about giving him somebody to protect.

5. You don't pass on a franchise QB if one is there.

6. If both pan out as expected and become great players (obviously if the Rams think Suh won't be good they take Clausen and vice versa) who would you rather have Peyton Manning Mk II or Warren Sapp Mk II. Most would say Manning.

7. There was a stat that something like 9 of 12 play-off teams had first round picks at QB the only two who did and didn't make it were Oakland and Detroit (i may be wrong on that). You can win without excellent DT's you cannot win without an excellent QB.

So many points to respond to Dan so I'll not bother with quoting your various points, all of which I have respect for given that you obviously know the game very well, its good to debate with someone who is clued up.

As I said, I think Clausen will go No.1, I have no massive issues with it but I slightly disagree that a team needs a great QB to win things. Didn't Baltimore win a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer as QB, didnt Tampa Bay win one with Brad Johnson?

A team can win with a great defence and a mediocre but error-free offence. Take our Packers, we have a Pro Bowl QB who has had a great year, but once our defence looked ropey against Arizona we got ripped apart and Rodgers struggled to keep us in the game.

Suh obviously is only one man, but teams that are struggling IMO are better off building from the defence because it is easier to do. A potentially great QB is one thing, but without the RB and WR's he is limited. The injection of energy and ability that a DB can bring to a struggling teams defence is massive, and look what Suh did to McCoy in the Big 12 title game, he dominated him and McCoy is an excellent college QB.

But, I'm not going to get into a Clausen-Suh debate because both will be excellent No.1 picks based on potential. But saying Clausen is the next Manning is a bit over-the-top at this stage. He could be very good, but if he goes to St Louis etc it'll be a while before he even makes the play-offs let alone wins a title. College potential at QB doesn't necesarilly equate to NFL quality, and the names of Ryan Leaf et al prove that.

And McCoy IMO will do well in the NFL. He is a composed passer, good on his feet, intelligent and has a good brain. Texas would have beaten Alabama if he'd stayed on the field IMO.

By the way, have you noticed we are singe-handedly keeping the 'off-topic' thread going?!

So many points to respond to Dan so I'll not bother with quoting your various points, all of which I have respect for given that you obviously know the game very well, its good to debate with someone who is clued up.
    Likewise.

A team can win with a great defence and a mediocre but error-free offence. Take our Packers, we have a Pro Bowl QB who has had a great year, but once our defence looked ropey against Arizona we got ripped apart and Rodgers struggled to keep us in the game.
    Your probably correct in that you don't need a excellent QB to win it all but i think your more likely to with a better QB than a better DT, maybe that is what i should have said.

As for our game vs Arizona. I agree to an extent, on the other hand lets say we had an elite DT rather than Rodgers and merely an average QB. Rodgers single-handedly kept us in the game when our D stopped nothing all game and short of a missed pass to Jennings and a blown facemask call on the fumble he could have won it. I don't think we'd have been close if we merely had an elite DT like Suh, it's possible to gameplan it away from them etc.

Also your point about building from the defence is a good one, and definately a valid way of going about things, but as this year shows, it's an offence dominated league. Not to mention going with the greater revenue/fan increase/overall attitude change a QB brings about.

But, I'm not going to get into a Clausen-Suh debate because both will be excellent No.1 picks based on potential. But saying Clausen is the next Manning is a bit over-the-top at this stage. He could be very good, but if he goes to St Louis etc it'll be a while before he even makes the play-offs let alone wins a title. College potential at QB doesn't necesarilly equate to NFL quality, and the names of Ryan Leaf et al prove that.
    Oh no i agree. My point was just that. If you think they are both going to pan out as predicted, which to take them you would, would you rather have the elite QB (Manning) or the elite (Sapp). I wasn't suggesting they will be like those guys but if you give people the choice they would probably rather have the QB than the DT in a situation.

Your correct they will both be excellent and in a way i hope the Rams take Suh, i don't want him chasing Rodgers around twice a year. lol

By the way, have you noticed we are singe-handedly keeping the 'off-topic' thread going?!
    Yeah! Let's keep it going.

Moving on to some Packers related talk.

I read a few rumours about new players.

Apparently we are looking at the Tampa lineman, Trueblood and Penn to sure up our O-Line.

Also apparently a potential trade involving Hawk. We trade Hawk and our 1st round pick to San Diego for Cromartie and the San Diego 2nd round pick. Seems a strange one but i'd take it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

The NFL Draft beginning today.....good times.

As a Fin, the only definite for me picking at 12 is that if Berry is still on the board at 12, hes drafted to the Dolphins. If hes gone, as expected, then I see us going with Williams at DE or Kindle. Thats my predictions over. Personally I'd love to see us take Spiller and lose Brown. Great player but injuries, age and impending contract renewal are taking their toll and I see Spiller as a possible superb RB and returner. Cant see it happening though, almost certainly go defense first.

Starting A Programme Collection Beetle!'s Avatar

I'm hoping Kolb can step up at philly this year, think we traded McNabb at the wrong time and i am hoping the skins dont bite us on the arse.

if they keep him fit they'll be in with a shout at the playoffs because i think McNabb is THE best scrambling QB in the league, strong as fcuk and can throw accurately off balance.

Anyone with a free Sunday and an interest in American is welcome along to Blackburn Rugby Club on sunday for two games from the Lancashire Academy of American Football

Details here

Get involved!

Thought I'd get this thread up and running again.

I'm a Pats fan and have been for a couple of years, but I only ever played Madden and had a small interest in the sport. A friend really got me into it this season and I really thought we'd get to the Super Bowl this year. Pats were the hottest team in the NFL all year so I was shocked to see us get knocked out so early in the play-offs. How poor was Tom Brady? Maybe Jet's defence was too good but that was an average performance from a player who should really be the MVP this season.

Watching the Championship play-offs and Green Bay are taking it to Chicago. Jay Cutler has not come back out for the Bears offence which is a massive blow, considering how much they have been outplayed so far. But Bears have hit back with a TD early in the 4th which makes it an exciting ball game!

Looking forward to the Steelers game later on. As ever though for the Jets it depends really on which Mark Sanchez turns up for the Jets. Really good QB when he wants to be, however he is really inconsistent and if he plays like he did last week then I could see the Jets make the super bowl.

Haha, maybe not....
    Last edited by Albion; 24th January 2011 at 01:12. Reason: One look at the scoreline at half time will tell you why!