Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Default The Beatles

Most over-rated band in the history of ever?

Quite easily. Not only could they not actually write a song, we now have people attracted to the idea that they were this magical force in music. No they bloody weren't. For any half decent song they wrote, you would get three crocks of s*** like Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Sales do not equate to quality people.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

You're on one today aren't you

There are some brilliant songs and there are some crap one as well.
    Isn't every band like that?

It's not so much wrote they produced as what they were at the forefront of.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    You're on one today aren't you

There are some brilliant songs and there are some crap one as well.
    Isn't every band like that?

It's not so much wrote they produced as what they were at the forefront of.
    To quote Joe Strummer

Phony Beatlemania

The forefront of that?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

but would there be (or have been) a Joe Strummer without them?

My pet hate band is Oasis Quo, 2 mouthy spoilt yobs, who throw out song after song, all which sound exactly the same.

By the way I'm no beatles fan, and as a drummer myself, believe Ringo Starr is the luckyest, least talented man ever born.

But that's music its subjective

Cool

Ski is always in a bad mood these days.

and yes they were. The Stones are the true rock gods.
    Sanctus Espiritus! Insanity is all around us...

Quote Originally Posted by SaintlySinner View Post
    Ski is always in a bad mood these days.

and yes they were. The Stones are the true rock gods.
    Now we have progress.

Cool

Ultimately music is always subjective as discussed in the 'Indiependance' thread but for me, when it comes to a choice between songs about sex, drugs, deprevation, heartache, rejection, revenge & decadence or love songs and Hippy mystical she-ite, then the choice is an obvious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Botev Plovdiv Ski View Post
    Most over-rated band in the history of ever?

Quite easily. Not only could they not actually write a song, we now have people attracted to the idea that they were this magical force in music. No they bloody weren't. For any half decent song they wrote, you would get three crocks of s*** like Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Sales do not equate to quality people.
    Don't embarrass yourself Ski, you're clearly uneducated in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    Don't embarrass yourself Ski, you're clearly uneducated in this field.
    In hyped up bands that is is "cool" to like?

The Beatles were terrible song writers.

I am the walrus, coo coo kchoo, coo coo kchoo.... beat that ski.

Stones were there to entertain, they loved live gigs, think the stones even said once "the beatles were more about writing , were more about performing" then they got wasted on another bag of haseeeeshhhhhh
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Quote Originally Posted by sydney2002 View Post
    I am the walrus, coo coo kchoo, coo coo kchoo.... beat that ski.
    A screen door slams
    Mary's dress waves
    Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays

So much so 4 decades later they are still very popular and widely known. Like them or not they were indisputedly the most influential pop band of all time. They wrote some fantastic timeless songs.

When Joe spoke about ' phoney beatlemainia' I honestly dont think it was a comment on the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    So much so 4 decades later they are still very popular and widely known. Like them or not they were indisputedly the most influential pop band of all time. They wrote some fantastic timeless songs.

When Joe spoke about ' phoney beatlemainia' I honestly dont think it was a comment on the music itself.
    No, it was a comment in the idea of being swept into the idea of this is cool.

If it weren't for "swinging sixties" hype that the Beatles rode so well, down the line, people would realise that their music is actually incredibly bland, when they experimented, incredibly naff, and occasionally listenable.

You've just proven my point. You clearly know absolutely nothing whatsoever about musical composition or production. You only know what you like to listen to.

You should change tack to "I don't like them" and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    You've just proven my point. You clearly know absolutely nothing whatsoever about musical composition or production. You only know what you like to listen to.

You should change tack to "I don't like them" and leave it at that.
    Stack the Beatles up against the best song-writers; Dylan, Townes van Zandt and van Morrison, and they are incredibly dull and just plain naff.

Where as Van and Dylan had "bad spells," the Beatles had good songs in the middle of utter dross.

Remember, because something is catchy doesn't mean it is a well composed song.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Of course they are over-rated! How could any band in the history of the modern world live up to the hype that The Beatles had around them? Yes, they milked the hype early on but even when they shied away from it the hype machine still enveloped them.
    But, what most people don't give them credit for is being pioneers. I know we had Buddy Holly, Elvis etc who came before them, but the idea of a rock n roll band was still relatively new and what The Beatles did inspired many after them.
    Most of the 'cack' they produced was in the later years when they knew they could get away with doing less catchy stuff and also because the Lennon-McCartney relationship was on its arse. Over-rated, of course, but it's not the bands fault that everyone thought they were the greatest thing ever.
    Some of their most pioneering rock n roll albums like 'Revolver' and 'The White Album' still stand the test of time, and thats a testament to the greatness of them because the original generation of Beatles-hypers are long gone or don't care anymore. Of course, it also helps that they called it a day and retained the aura of a band of young men, unlike the Stones who were amazing from 1964 to about 1975 but have tarnished their reputation by going on far too long.

Cool

No, it was a comment in the idea of being swept into the idea of this is cool.

If it weren't for "swinging sixties" hype that the Beatles rode so well, down the line, people would realise that their music is actually incredibly bland, when they experimented, incredibly naff, and occasionally listenable.
    The Beatles in the 60's wasnt that bad, the stuff they released in the 70's was poor. Their songs touched a nerve with society and dealt with all kinds of topics and problems at that time. I'm not even sure they really performed live much later than the very early seventies although someone may be able to prove me wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by SaintlySinner View Post
    I'm not even sure they really performed live much later than the very early seventies although someone may be able to prove me wrong.
    They rarely did, apart from the odd gig and specials on BBC. They got tired of not being able to hear themselves playing over the sound of girls screaming, and realised their gigs had become more about them merely being there for women to scream at than the actual music, so they knocked them on the head.

I saw them at The Plaza, they were good then like a breath of fresh air around this area.

I liked the Liverpool sound, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Merseybeats, Billie J Kramer and the Dakotas, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Freddy Starr and the Delmonts and others.
    Nutgroves own... Frances Lea with the Vernon girls. Terrific.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Nonsense.

The Beatles represent the benchmark in popular music. Prior to them is what black and white, tinny and pretty basic with no real experimentation. They opened the door to musical experiment and experience and effectively created what we have today.

No band has ever wrote so many genuine classics which do not go out of fashion, just brilliant. They crossed so many streams of music, nothing will ever eclipse their uniqueness.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    Nonsense.

The Beatles represent the benchmark in popular music. Prior to them is what black and white, tinny and pretty basic with no real experimentation. They opened the door to musical experiment and experience and effectively created what we have today.

No band has ever wrote so many genuine classics which do not go out of fashion, just brilliant. They crossed so many streams of music, nothing will ever eclipse their uniqueness.
    Nicelylol

Nonsense.

If by unique you me absolute gash, thank the mary hell for that!

If by unique you me absolute gash, thank the mary hell for that!
    You cannot seriously say that music like Let it Be, Yesterday, Across the Universe, For Yer Blues, Get Back, Because, For the Benefit of Mr Kite, Sgt Pepper, A Day in the Life etc etc etc etc is gash. The list could go on forever.....

Every band has their rubbish as well, it just seems that The Beatles had more because they wrote so many albums.

Only 3 acts have changed music IMO, Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Michael Jackson.

You cannot seriously say that music like Let it Be, Yesterday, Across the Universe, For Yer Blues, Get Back, Because, For the Benefit of Mr Kite, Sgt Pepper, A Day in the Life etc etc etc etc is gash. The list could go on forever.....
    The list couldn't go on and on.

Yes, they wrote catchy records, but catchy doesn't equate to good.

every band/artist has changed music, because people draw influences from all over.

Without Bruce Springsteen, there is no Gaslight Anthem,
    Without NWA, there is no Eminem
    Without the Melvins, there is no Nirvana

That's a list that could go on and on

The list couldn't go on and on.

Yes, they wrote catchy records, but catchy doesn't equate to good.

every band/artist has changed music, because people draw influences from all over.

Without Bruce Springsteen, there is no Gaslight Anthem,
    Without NWA, there is no Eminem
    Without the Melvins, there is no Nirvana

That's a list that could go on and on
    Disagree totally.

Without the Beatles in the first place, there would be no other influences. They opened the door for all the guitar bands to come through to the mainstream. Their tunes amount to being more than 'catchy' as well. A listen through the Beatles albums takes you through the musically acceptable industry of its time and social behaviours and beliefs of the time also. They represented a generation and hence have a huge following. They changed the way they wrote, the complexity of their music changed and they delved into musical practices that were extreme to say the least when other bands did not. They wrote songs that musically would be classified as pop, blues, gospel, rock n roll, even jazz. No other band then or since has been able to do that to any level, let alone the standard Lennon, McCartney and co managed.