Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Aussie Rules to raid Rugby League?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Default Aussie Rules to raid Rugby League?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225756068749

Karmichael Hunt has jumped ship and taken the money from the AFL.
    There is a hell of a lot of money in Aussie Rules and you can bet they're after more than just him. The AFL are set to launch a West Sydney team which is a direct threat to RL in Sydney.
    As a big fan of the NRL and rugby league in general I find this slightly worrying that players like Inglis, Slater etc may be tempted away from our sport because the money isn't great compared to RU and Aussie Rules. It might be time for the NRL to raise their pretty low salary cap maybe.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225756068749

Karmichael Hunt has jumped ship and taken the money from the AFL.
    There is a hell of a lot of money in Aussie Rules and you can bet they're after more than just him. The AFL are set to launch a West Sydney team which is a direct threat to RL in Sydney.
    As a big fan of the NRL and rugby league in general I find this slightly worrying that players like Inglis, Slater etc may be tempted away from our sport because the money isn't great compared to RU and Aussie Rules. It might be time for the NRL to raise their pretty low salary cap maybe.
    Rumour has it that Ade is also going over, he already wears the shorts they do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Has Karmichael Hunt ever played Aussie Rules before?

Sounds like the AFL are just trying to prove that they are Australia's No.1 sport rather than signing players because they have the neccessary talent.

I dare say if he fails, which he probably will, then their other clubs will stop short of such publicity stunts in future.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

I was told something very interesting last week about AFL and junior development...

The way signing of new young players to the pro clubs works is that everyone that is eligable to move up that year from local club level to pro goes in to a pool, the bottom pro AFL clubs of that year then get first pick.

This is why the AFL goes in cycles, the bottom clubs get the better players and so move up, the top teams get the lower class players and move down, until they get the pick of the players and start to move up again.

Very strange.
    Gone Walkabout...

Starting A Programme Collection wrexhamsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger View Post
    I was told something very interesting last week about AFL and junior development...

The way signing of new young players to the pro clubs works is that everyone that is eligable to move up that year from local club level to pro goes in to a pool, the bottom pro AFL clubs of that year then get first pick.

This is why the AFL goes in cycles, the bottom clubs get the better players and so move up, the top teams get the lower class players and move down, until they get the pick of the players and start to move up again.

Very strange.
    Same as US pro sport - certainly NFL/AFL. They have (as I understand it) a series of "draft picks" with the weaker teams going first - it's a bit like picking sides when you're at school (only with more money).
    Burning with optimism's flames.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Has Karmichael Hunt ever played Aussie Rules before?
    My spies tell me he played as a kid and was very highly rated.

Hunt has a better chance of succeeding than most rugby players. He has most of the required attributes for an AFL midfielder. He seems to be a rather unique case. Alot of gaelic footballers transition into AFL, but I wouldn't expect a large scale exodus from rugby league to aussie rules.