Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rugby league world cup

this article has got me very down. he's right. If we make a sucess of the world cup financially & if today is anything to go by i doubt it, but if we do all our work will be unearthed by the 2015 world cup.

Someone once said why can't two different sports co-exist in harmony, instead we act like derby rivals. I wish it was so.

Starting A Programme Collection gateaux's Avatar

I agree about the timing being daft from the RFL if they knew the announcement was coming about the RU world cup they should have held back for a week (and in that time make plans to announce it with a bang) so we aren't competing against what is internationally a much bigger sport for attention.

Watching BBC news last night they did a wonderful piece of the Union World cup and then at the end we got "it has also been announced today that England will host the Rugby League world cup"

Quote Originally Posted by gateaux View Post
    Watching BBC news last night they did a wonderful piece of the Union World cup and then at the end we got "it has also been announced today that England will host the Rugby League world cup"
    Sounds like a bit of an afterthought but on the other hand if we'd have announced it say next Tuesday, who thinks it would have got a mention on the news?

Banned

Terrible decision.

Last year's World Cup was ran brilliantly by the Aussies and on the opening weekend, Scotland v France drew a crowd of 21,500, the same game in the UK would honestly struggle to draw 2,500.

I don't think we will get the crowds to support the group games and as a result, it looks like a poor event to the casual sports fan watching on TV.

Contrast that with the Union World Cup, which whether we like it or not, will have full houses in major stadiums and it won't be good for the image of our sport.

The 1995 World Cup over here was fantastic but I am still having nightmares over the debacle in 2000!

Banned

In contrast to an earlier post about the BBC's announcement of our world cup, this morning on BBC breakfast they did quite a build up to it, saying that on top of x, y and z happening in what they are calling 'the decade of sport', the RFL has announced that the rugby league world cup will be held in 2013 and after making that announcement they went straight into interviewing the communications manager at the RFL. He managed to get a mention in of how RL is played in 'every county in the country' and referred to the successful Gilette tri nations and the upcoming Gilette four nations, and how they had 'learned lessons' from 2000 and will be playing most of the games in the heartlands of the sport with a brief mention for London, venues to be announced later. It was a good little interview and actually I'm thinking that maybe making the announcement now could be a mild stroke of genius by the RFL, particularly where the BBC is concerned, as we have joined in what the BBC are portraying as a decade of sport, a kind of celebration of sport in this country. I think if we had made our announcement separately, it would have been lost. As is, we have probably had more exposure as a result of announcing it now. Sure, we aren't in the rugby union league when it comes to internationals, but I don't think we should let that worry us, especially since our world cup is happening before theirs so we can make an impression ahead of RU while living off what will hopefully be a successful Olympics.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

whether or not it was the right decision to announce it yesterday we'll never know.. but what is for sure is that they could've had it as a far better announcement, with venues, number of teams.. something that the broadcasters could use.. when you look at the announcement yesterday, they had all the football grounds that would be used.. even something as simple as that

There are a lot of valid points here but there is something in the fact that on all the Union forums now you can bet they are excited, talking about how good it will be to have their WC here and going to the games.

In contrast the RL forums are full of people nit picking and whining and whinging about ours. What about something positive like who will be the stars of the England team then?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    There are a lot of valid points here but there is something in the fact that on all the Union forums now you can bet they are excited, talking about how good it will be to have their WC here and going to the games.

In contrast the RL forums are full of people whining and whinging about ours

Very true, but Rugby League doesn't help itself does it? Going a few years we had a marketing edge on sports like RU, now it's as though they can't be bothered.

In The South Stand

I see the Union mob will be charging £7 or there abouts to watch the lesser light of their competition, and will be playing in the larger stadiums, info like this will take years to come from the RFL, Union already look more organized and better prepared than our lot.

In The South Stand

In contrast the RL forums are full of people nit picking and whining and whinging about ours. What about something positive like who will be the stars of the England team then?

Perhaps its because they have something to get excited about, The RFL only announced the World Cup will be played in this country, Union have given Stadia to be used, and I have seen prices already given for the lesser games.
    We need more info, "we need" something to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Perhaps its because they have something to get excited about, The RFL only announced the World Cup will be played in this country, Union have given Stadia to be used, and I have seen prices already given for the lesser games.
    We need more info, "we need" something to get excited about.
    Think they are jumping the gun with prices for games in 5 years time.
    They do say that they are confident of selling 2.8million tickets.

Banned

I agree totally.

Having just passed on the info about the RFL interview on BBC Breakfast this morning and how well the whole thing was presented within the context of a decade of sport, it's as if I hadn't bothered. In fact, why did I bother? No idea. I just hope the RFL ignore the whingers and instead plan the thing well, promote it well, but most of all make damn sure we have a superb group of players who are fully up for it by the time 2013 comes around so that we can really celebrate our sport in the country of its birth.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    The tale of two Rugby World Cups (and why RL will remain the poor relation) - http://tinyurl.com/rugbyworldcupWho is this Alex Turner guy?
    Alex Turner used to be our media manager.

As for the announcement, I knew that union were announcing their winner yesterday, and if some average Joe Soap like me with decent contacts knows that, why doesn't the RFL?

However, I reckon we'll get it right this time.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I agree totally.

Having just passed on the info about the RFL interview on BBC Breakfast this morning and how well the whole thing was presented within the context of a decade of sport, it's as if I hadn't bothered. In fact, why did I bother? No idea. I just hope the RFL ignore the whingers and instead plan the thing well, promote it well, but most of all make damn sure we have a superb group of players who are fully up for it by the time 2013 comes around so that we can really celebrate our sport in the country of its birth.
    The RFL can make the tournament work, but they need to schedule matches in the right places. For example, in my opinion most Australia and NZ group games should be played in London where there are thousands of ex-pats. Having games in London helps the media get interested and full houses at places like The Stoop and even smaller football grounds like Fulham will make people realise that there are alot of non-English people who love our game and it'll help sell the tournament to non-fans.
    England games should be up North and if the RFL market games properly and keep ticket prices at reasonable levels there is no reason why we can't fill places like Elland Road. Our new ground, the JJB and places like Castleford should get the games involving the lesser teams, because these games need to be held in real rugby towns where people will turn up to watch them. For example, Samoa vs Tonga at our new ground could potentially attract 12-15k if tickets are well priced. Sticking these types of games in Gateshead or Cardiff won't work and will make the tournament look weak. Its all about the venues and ticket prices. If done right it will work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Our new ground, the JJB and places like Castleford should get the games involving the lesser teams, because these games need to be held in real rugby towns where people will turn up to watch them. For example, Samoa vs Tonga at our new ground could potentially attract 12-15k if tickets are well priced. Sticking these types of games in Gateshead or Cardiff won't work and will make the tournament look weak. Its all about the venues and ticket prices. If done right it will work.
    It was clear from the certainty with which the RFL communications guy spoke this morning that the RFL have every intention of holding the majority - the word he used - of the games in the 'heartlands' (also the word he used!). Only London was referred to in addition, but I think South Wales would be crucial if Celtic are still around as that will help further develop the game in Wales. But I agree with what you say. It's all a balancing act. One thing I do believe is that we should not be distracted by rugby union. Let them do their thing and let us focus on the strengths of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    For example, Samoa vs Tonga at our new ground could potentially attract 12-15k if tickets are well priced.

I'd pay to watch that game at our ground WHATEVER the price, here's hoping.