Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wigan fans confident!

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

If we win, I will enjoy this more than any of our meetings for some time as it will really choke them.
    Too true captain. Listening to some of them you would think its a guaranteed 2 points for them.

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

They are seeing this as a given ... their outlook has changed a little due to a slight change in both our fortunes but I contend that if we get behind the team then even with our considerable injuries we still have enough firepower to bet them - we'll need an off-day and they'll need to play extra special to pull off a win.

Do I really mean this? Yes I think I do, am quietly confident but they'll need our support.

Banned

We are pretty confident because we have been playing well. I honestly hand on heart think Saints will win by 4-8 points but I will take that for a Semi Final win the week after to be honest.

I would fancy our chances at Wembley more than Knowsley Road to be honest

Got A Season Ticket Exiled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    We are pretty confident because we have been playing well. I honestly hand on heart think Saints will win by 4-8 points but I will take that for a Semi Final win the week after to be honest.

very honest post there bazdev
    not sure myself,we have a semi and a load of players missing,you've got a semi v wire and a chance of a trip to the capital first for a while-alot to think about for both teams-if we get a win and no more injuries I'll be a very happy man and I think 4-8 Saints win is spot on

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I know we have to look at the big picture here, but I hope next weeks semi's dont take any of the intensity out of this game? This is the first derby I've truly looked forward to all week since the QF in 2005. If players aren't ready to go then fair enough, just don't play them and leave them till next week, but every player on that park should be out there as if it's a must-win IMO.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I know we have to look at the big picture here, but I hope next weeks semi's dont take any of the intensity out of this game? This is the first derby I've truly looked forward to all week since the QF in 2005. If players aren't ready to go then fair enough, just don't play them and leave them till next week, but every player on that park should be out there as if it's a must-win IMO.
    Me too. Everyone I've spoken to from either side is so up for this, hope it turns out to be a real firecracker and not a damp squib. Only tomorrow to get through and then can really start getting excited

Its just a pity that the awful weather is making a bit of a lottery of everything - with more rain forecast Thurs/Friday - takes the shine off it for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Why is that then?

Remember we will have all bar Long and Fa'asavalu back (and you wouldn't back against either of those making it, the way we overestimate some of our injuries) and we are the team that is much less likely to suffer from nerves.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Why is that then?

Remember we will have all bar Long and Fa'asavalu back (and you wouldn't back against either of those making it, the way we overestimate some of our injuries) and we are the team that is much less likely to suffer from nerves.
    I think you are forgetting the innate attitude of the Wiganer that once you get to Wembley unless something totally unexpected (like Sheffield) happens they have more or less got it in the bag

If anything they are worse that us on the really big stage - we do harbour doubts, they seem to really have an uncanny belief it's a done deal lol

Banned

Why is that then?

I would fancy it at wembley or Old Trafford more to be honest as the playing surface seems to be much bigger than KR. We have far more pace and strength out wide than Saints. At full strength I dont feel our pack stands up to yours so getting it out wide is the way to go.

How many men were missing in our first 2 games because we dominated both of them this season. We didnt take our chances in the first but we did at Murrayfield and I feel that this year our side matches up well to Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

I would fancy it at wembley or Old Trafford more to be honest as the playing surface seems to be much bigger than KR. We have far more pace and strength out wide than Saints. At full strength I dont feel our pack stands up to yours so getting it out wide is the way to go.

How many men were missing in our first 2 games because we dominated both of them this season. We didnt take our chances in the first but we did at Murrayfield and I feel that this year our side matches up well to Saints.
    Interesting points.

Firstly I'd say if Eastmond continues as he is doing, I would question whether Long would play at Wembley or OT. It would be a tough call to drop him. I'm not convinced in the slightest that the Wigan side has 'far more pace' than a Saints side with Pryce and Eastmond through the middle. Strength not a cat in hells chance quite frankly. In terms of the pack, if we get a full strength pack out, then not only does the Wigan pack not stand up to ours, it gets obliterated in all honesty. I would suggest Saints would beat Wigan in a final by at least 18 points.

Murrayfield it was clear that we didn't turn up as the players didn't want to be there. At Wigan we played poorly and won. God help Wigan if we actually show up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stirlingshire Saint View Post
    Interesting points.

Firstly I'd say if Eastmond continues as he is doing, I would question whether Long would play at Wembley or OT. It would be a tough call to drop him. I'm not convinced in the slightest that the Wigan side has 'far more pace' than a Saints side with Pryce and Eastmond through the middle. Strength not a cat in hells chance quite frankly. In terms of the pack, if we get a full strength pack out, then not only does the Wigan pack not stand up to ours, it gets obliterated in all honesty. I would suggest Saints would beat Wigan in a final by at least 18 points.

Murrayfield it was clear that we didn't turn up as the players didn't want to be there. At Wigan we played poorly and won. God help Wigan if we actually show up.

Or maybe you haven't been "showing up" because we do indeed match up to you.

As for your pack obliterating ours, I dont think that is the case

Graham/Cunningham/Roby are all top class players admittedly

Puletua is in and out and for me doesn't do any work. faasavalu is not my fav player and Hargreaves is no Better than O Carroll or Prescot.

We have Feka - IMO is better than Faas.

Fielden/coley and Prescot/O Carrol. and I think Saints do have a better front row.

But at full strength our back row is equally as good as yours.

Bailey/J Tomkins/Hansen/O Loughlin etc are more than a match for Wilkin/Clough/Gilmour (past his best)/Flannery.

Our 1-7 is as good as anything in the league and that leaves the likes of Goulding/K Pryce/Tim Smith and Ainscough to come in also

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I believe it's forecast for rain.

I don't think anything is going to be simple for Saints from here on in. We have a tough six matches ahead with a depleted squad and a team who are inconsistent this season. I hope the Saints who defend well, are creative, energetic and enthusiastic turn up on Friday because if that Saints side turn up then it will be a cracker of a match and we might just win it, too. But if the other Saints turn up then we'll just get steamrollered. It is at home as well remember, which is not such a good omen this season!

What I am looking forward to, assuming the head slam didn't do any damage on Saturday, is watching Eastmond and Tomkins line up opposite each other. That should be tasty if they both play to form.
    What colour is the sky in your world?

Top of the league and semi of the cup, ring any bells?

Most points for, second best defence, massive point difference over Leeds.

What do some people want?

Got A Season Ticket Naturalised_Yicker's Avatar

All this chat is great. Proving once again its the greatest game in the world. Lets have some great noise from both sets of speccies

Got A Replica Shirt The Seldom Seen Kid's Avatar

I'm looking forward to all the"what went wrong posts"after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Seldom Seen Kid View Post
    I'm looking forward to all the"what went wrong posts"after the game.
    I'm looking forward to the " Well we wasn't expecting that" thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lance todd View Post
    Top of the league and semi of the cup, ring any bells?
    So? We can be inconsistent and still be top of the league and in the semi of the cup! We can also have the second best defence. It's all relative.

Learning All The Songs saintollie's Avatar

Easter we were missing Long, Graham and Flannery (Cayless played)
    the Magic game Cayless, Wilkin and Eastmond didnt play

looking at it we have hardly ever managed to get a full pack together this season

Quote Originally Posted by saintollie View Post
    the Magic game Cayless, Wilkin and Eastmond didnt play

....and Graham didn't want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    ....and Graham didn't want to play.

He wants to play on Friday though if you read the Reporter. He loves playing the derby games especially the home ones. He is up for it big time. :eek:

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Mulder View Post
    He wants to play on Friday though if you read the Reporter. He loves playing the derby games especially the home ones. He is up for it big time. :eek:
    Remember the 16-16 at the end of last season. He certainly was up for that one, especially after being taken out off the ball by Feka.

Noooobie

Wouldn't be surprised to see another Graham v Feka confrontation tomorrow night. Whatever happens i think it's gonna be the best atmosphere for a Saints v Wigan game at Knowsley Road for a while. Especially with the pies confident they can beat us. Anyone know the last time they beat us at KR?

Learning All The Songs are you blind ref's Avatar

I'm so nervous, just wish it was all over.

Every fan who can should get down there tomorrow and support the lads.

LETS MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!
    Saint until I die - For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, through good times and bad.

We have Feka - IMO is better than Faas.
    I have to say I agree with you that ability wise, yes, he is a much better player with his carries etc. However, for me Feka's fitness is the big question, after a couple of good drives he doesnt seem to make the same yards after that. Get him on his back, target him when we attack and he will be ineffective. If he was a much fitter player then I would love him at saints.

Got A Replica Shirt

really can't wait gunna be a real cracker ... COME ON YOU SAINTS