Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky finally shows its true colours

Default Sky finally shows its true colours

skysports use of "The Big One" is nothing short of a scandalous level of disrespect to Superleague. A team thats won beggar all for yonks against the defending champions. "the big one" is wigan's own marketing ploy and nothing to do with sky. They had no right to pick up on it and have finally blown thei thin vineer of neutrality.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

we're beginning to look like spoilt brats.. no wonder more and more team's fans don't like us

they call every bloody match the big one.. their job is to promote the game, that's all they're doing

FWIW, when the teams came out, it sounded very much like it was being quoted as 'the big one'

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    we're beginning to look like spoilt brats.. no wonder more and more team's fans don't like us

they call every bloody match the big one.. their job is to promote the game, that's all they're doing
    I think you will find "The Big One" is Wigan's own marketing. I don't give a toss for the connotations for Wigan but there are 14 teams in SL and using Wigan's own corporate branding shows scant regard for the other 12 by suggesting that Wigan v Leeds is the creme de la creme of SL action.

They don't call every game the big one, and if they do use that phrase, its in passing. Not as part of the skysports coverage.

Fair play to Sky for recognising Wigan's efforts in promoting this game!

personally i think wigan should be applauded, the mere fact that sky is calling it the big one shows just how much they have been advertising this game

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    personally i think wigan should be applauded, the mere fact that sky is calling it the big one shows just how much they have been advertising this game
    They have an attendance tonight that will make ours next Friday, against the auld enemy, look small.

Saints have to be applauded for their efforts of recent, but the effort the Goons marketing department has been immense, truly immense.

If Saints had offered the prices the Goons had tonight for next week, we would have sold the game out.

Starting A Programme Collection gateaux's Avatar

Wigan have done a fantastic job in promoting this game and it looks to have paid off with a cracking attendance from both sets of fans.

I don't care what gimmicks clubs use if it gets people in and watching the game it has to be applauded

Quote Originally Posted by gateaux View Post
    Wigan have done a fantastic job in promoting this game and it looks to have paid off with a cracking attendance from one set of fans.

I don't care what gimmicks clubs use if it gets people in and watching the game it has to be applauded
    Ive corrected the simple error you made.

Leeds away support was again pitiful for such a big club.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Ive corrected the simple error you made.

Leeds away support was again pitiful for such a big club.
    Especially if you looked at the away end just before the final hooter. You could count the remaining fans on one hand lol

Learning All The Songs BubbleSheep's Avatar

Think Eddie said they'd got over 20,000 for the game. Previous record against Leeds was 17,000. I think its easy to say the marketing worked

Banned

They marketed this game really well and clearly it paid off. All the better that they got a win from it. They even produced t-shirts with The Big One embroidered on them, which is quite a commitment to marketing!

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleSheep View Post
    Think Eddie said they'd got over 20,000 for the game. Previous record against Leeds was 17,000. I think its easy to say the marketing worked
    I think it was a great crowd considering it was live on Sky

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    I think it was a great crowd considering it was live on Sky
    If you give things away people will take them. If that's marketing then I dont want it.

That type of stunt beggared Bradford

Learning All The Songs are you blind ref's Avatar

Hard as it is to admit this this (takes deep breath) Wigan seem to be much better than us at getting the fans through the gates. Despite their lack of trophies in the last few years () they still keep turning up.
    Saint until I die - For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, through good times and bad.

Starting A Programme Collection gateaux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Henry Bonham View Post
    If you give things away people will take them. If that's marketing then I dont want it.

That type of stunt beggared Bradford
    Wigan didn't give tickets away last night, they reduced the price and did a fantastic job of marketing the game as the "big one" which on the back of last nights attendance worked well.

Half the key to boosting attendances is surely getting people into the ground in the first place to see the game and hopefully some will come back for subsequent matches.

Learning All The Songs

Lets face it, if the gooners have to big up a game where they play the whinos then does it not reflect the state of their support? Offering three tickets for ten quid and 'kids for a quid' marketing. Questionable?
    CSM Services for all your Fork-Lift Truck requirements.

Ring me, Peter or Jim on 01257 424548.lol

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

to be fair to sky, eddie did say that the hull teams might have something to say about which game is the "big one" this weekend

Got A Season Ticket lord love rocket's Avatar

I think us saints fan are a bit jelous on here today.
    There was no way we could of matched that last night and we would have been turned over aswell.
    A big hand to the goons marketing folk.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Couldn't care less tbh.

McClennan had it right when he stated that as far as Leeds were concerned it was simply another 2 points and that their 'big one' was the GF in October.

If Wigan want to build a contest up, congratulations. It succeeded as well as they got a fine attendance and won the game.

Quote Originally Posted by are you blind ref View Post
    Hard as it is to admit this this (takes deep breath) Wigan seem to be much better than us at getting the fans through the gates. Despite their lack of trophies in the last few years () they still keep turning up.
    i would suggest the more sane of our fans would agree with you there, as reacher said, if we were in wigan's situation, i think we would have about 6k home fans a week

Learning All The Songs

It was, in my opinion, the most intense game of the season so far. Wonderful atmosphere, both teams up for it. Cant deny it was a wonderful advert for our Game. You'll NEVER get a game of "Kick and clap" that comes anywhere near that match for sheer excitement and intensity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mister chuffy View Post
    Lets face it, if the gooners have to big up a game where they play the whinos then does it not reflect the state of their support? Offering three tickets for ten quid and 'kids for a quid' marketing. Questionable?
    Nah. I just think it was a great opportunity for them to try and win back some fans who had been disillusioned and entice some new people too. They were even producing t-shirts with The Big One embroidered on them (saw one at work, much to my disgust!). They went for it and it paid off from a locals POV given that they got over 3,000 increase on their past attendance record against the Rhinos. I'm sure that increase will have balanced out any loss in revenue they may have risked by charging lower prices.

I don't think Saints have to promote any match with Wigan. They sell themselves, probably even more so now we have been beaten by them in recent times. I would imagine Saints staff will be waiting for the new stadium to come online before putting together some serious marketing initiatives. No point spending £££ on marketing and having only a dump of a ground with next to no facilities to offer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NUTSONTHE70S View Post
    It was, in my opinion, the most intense game of the season so far.
    One of. I'd say our home match against Leeds matched it in terms of intensity, especially from the crowd! (Did you hear Nobby's mention of the KR crowd towards the end of his interview on the red button show? )

Isnt Wigan a bigger town than Saints?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEdwardHyde View Post
    Isnt Wigan a bigger town than Saints?
    not a great deal more.. i think they have called this 'the big one' and hammered the advertising because there is no need for such a large advertising campaign for any match against saints, as they are usually close to sell out anyway, i don't think any wiganer or club official would say wigan leeds is a bigger game than saints vs wigan