Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Is it time to get rid

Banned

Default Is it time to get rid

Following the Grand National thread,here's one for you.

How many peeps out there think the National should be banned? I do to be honest.

Why does a horse,a peaceful animal, have to be subjected to this type of cruelty in the name of racing?

They are not bred for this. Even a racing horse,jump horse is not bred for this kind of event. Its like the equine equivalent of Wipeout or Takeshi.

Its a disgusting spectacle and I wouldn't shed even a single tear if it was banned.
    Same with Crufts. At least the BBC pulled out of that one considering the shameful practices that go on. How can a deformed breed have its own sectio>

What do other people think?

Got A Season Ticket

i think your daft pal, if we banned everything that some pea-brain took offence to the result would be a world of nothing,

Noooobie

take it you didnt back the winner then?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

i disagree, if you look at the horses, they absolutely love it, yes the odd horse dies, but how many horses and other animals are killed for food and other stuffs..

the horses are treated very well at their stables, better than most horses on farms, and as i've said, if you see the horses trotting around before the races, they love the crowds..

i think the grand national is still one of those great sporting events that bring EVERYONE together, I don't know the figures, but i bet there were probably more people watching the GN than any other sporting event this year so far

and i don't agree that horses aren't bred for jumping, i've seen wild horses jumping fences, and 'domesticated' horses have been around for thousands of years

I think the point to consider is that when the horses lose their riders, they continue to jump the fences even though they dont have to!! So they must like it after all.

Slightly OT but had to laugh at the girlfriend yesterday when we were watching it when she asked me "Do they still win if the jockey is not riding it?"

lollollol

I had to explain that they would have a slight weight advantage with no one riding them. Women eh

Learning All The Songs BubbleSheep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    i disagree, if you look at the horses, they absolutely love it, yes the odd horse dies, but how many horses and other animals are killed for food and other stuffs..

the horses are treated very well at their stables, better than most horses on farms, and as i've said, if you see the horses trotting around before the races, they love the crowds..

i think the grand national is still one of those great sporting events that bring EVERYONE together, I don't know the figures, but i bet there were probably more people watching the GN than any other sporting event this year so far

and i don't agree that horses aren't bred for jumping, i've seen wild horses jumping fences, and 'domesticated' horses have been around for thousands of years
    I agree. Why would they carry on running round the track with the rest of the horses, jumping, if they didnt enjoy it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Ban Rugby League I say. Human beings were simply not bred for being bashed about for eighty minutes by other people.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Ban Rugby League I say. Human beings were simply not bred for being bashed about for eighty minutes by other people.
    Good point but then again I suppose horses dont have a choice. They cant exactly turn around and say "I dont fancy this much to be honest" The first one that does will make its trainer millions lol

Quote Originally Posted by clarcorman View Post
    Following the Grand National thread,here's one for you.

How many peeps out there think the National should be banned? I do to be honest.

Why does a horse,a peaceful animal, have to be subjected to this type of cruelty in the name of racing?

They are not bred for this. Even a racing horse,jump horse is not bred for this kind of event. Its like the equine equivalent of Wipeout or Takeshi.

Its a disgusting spectacle and I wouldn't shed even a single tear if it was banned.
    Same with Crufts. At least the BBC pulled out of that one considering the shameful practices that go on. How can a deformed breed have its own sectio>

I used to think that way - that it was cruel but it's not. The horses have been bred over generations to create the thoroughbred - the ferrari of the horse world. The training and condition of the horse is of paramount importance. If a horse doesn't want to jump it won't. They're trained to jump of course but if the horse doesn't have a good jump it wont carry out the training and will be sold on.

The fences are high and wide but if you notice most of the top section isn't solid so the horse can brush the top without going down or causing injury to itself.

Have a look at the height of a puissance where the record height is 2.7m :eek:
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

Banned

that your a tit

horses thrive on racing.Next you will want the annual whipping of wigan banned on the grounds of cruelty.At least if a horse cant win it often doesnt have to finish the race.
    Being born in a stable does not make one a horse -
    Duke of Wellington

roader
    Non Members

Loose horses carry on jumping because they are a herd animal,not because they enjoy it. Most fences don't have a run off area,so the horse carries on jumping.

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest View Post
    that your a tit
    beat me to it

lol

Learning All The Songs BubbleSheep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roader View Post
    Loose horses carry on jumping because they are a herd animal,not because they enjoy it. Most fences don't have a run off area,so the horse carries on jumping.
    Thought they introduced that in this years Grand National to allow the loose one's to run around?

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    horses thrive on racing.Next you will want the annual whipping of wigan banned on the grounds of cruelty.At least if a horse cant win it often doesnt have to finish the race.
    warrington fans are not bred to watch victories
    it would be cruel if they..........oh wait thats fine

I can understand where the OP is coming from but i disagree and think it should stay, specifically the national. I don't care about horse racing in general.

I know after some horse died in racing in the USA there was a big push for better standards about steroids, breeding quality, training etc.

I actually like the national even though i don't think any of my horses ever finish!
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Banned

Thank you to all the people who commented on this with sensible replies...appreciated.

And as for the 2 clowns..you know who you are...why bother if you've nothing better to do than insult people?

Thank you to all the people who commented on this with sensible replies...appreciated.

And as for the 2 clowns..you know who you are...why bother if you've nothing better to do than insult people?
    PETA seem to share your sentiment also. After looking into what i said about the incidents in the US, which i believe was at the Kentucky Derby where a number of horses died, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) seemed to be making alot of comments about it on some of the American sports sites/shows i watch. I can't remember specifically what they said, and i don't know whether PETA US are different than the UK/Europen equivelant in terms of what legislation is in place but here is a recent piece from PETA UK. http://blog.peta.org.uk/2009/time-to...out-to-pasture

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss.

As for the national, i always pick the grey horse. Always do. This year i had Reveillez which i think pulled up at the third fence.
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    PETA seem to share your sentiment also. After looking into what i said about the incidents in the US, which i believe was at the Kentucky Derby where a number of horses died, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) seemed to be making alot of comments about it on some of the American sports sites/shows i watch. I can't remember specifically what they said, and i don't know whether PETA US are different than the UK/Europen equivelant in terms of what legislation is in place but here is a recent piece from PETA UK. http://blog.peta.org.uk/2009/time-to...out-to-pasture

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss.

As for the national, i always pick the grey horse. Always do. This year i had Reveillez which i think pulled up at the third fence.
    Thats a very informative article you pointed to.

This weekend, as the grim event drew to a close, five – count ‘em – five horses had been killed. Hear The Echo, Mel In Blue, Exotic Dancer, Moscow Catch and Lilla Sophia all either suffered injuries so traumatic that they were euthanised, or collapsed and suffered heart attacks, after being, literally, raced to death. Less than half the number of horses that were entered into this year’s annual competition actually made it to the finishing line, highlighting just how gruelling and cruel the race really is.

I'm not trying to force my views on anyone, I asked for opinions thats all.Seemed like a good topic to discuss regarding other posters views on it.
    I personally don't like the race but its each to their own and I respect other people's (if sensible) views.

I'm not trying to force my views on anyone, I asked for opinions thats all.Seemed like a good topic to discuss regarding other posters views on it.
    I personally don't like the race but its each to their own and I respect other people's (if sensible) views.
    I think, speaking personally, when i was watching the race and betting on it i never really contemplated the potential ethical issues.

I've just remebered the name of the horse that died in the Kentucky Derby which caused great controversy. It was Eight Belles.

Here

This article seems to cover the main issues from Eight Belles i'm sure many of which would apply to racing in general, not just in the US.

Also here and here look at the opinion of the jockey.

It is a tough topic and i think a large onus is on the jockey. Surely it is hoped that the horse is trained correctly, treated correctly and generally has a "happy" life, whether there is laws or rules on this i couldn't say. Once on the track the jockey needs to have a sense of how the horse is feeling. If at any point the horse is in danger or injured then irrelevant of the distance, be it the first yard or the last yard of the race, they should stop immediately no matter what. Both horse and rider safety obviously should be paramount.

Do horses actually enjoy racing? i don't know.

I follow racing in the USA, the horses there run full of drugs all the time, (Lasix, Butazolidin and Corticosteroids). These are banned in GB.
    There have been more deaths in the USA because of these drugs, than we get over here.
    Don't forget their racing is all on the flat.

Banned

Dont bother watching it because its boring. But its not as boring as rugby union and formula 1