Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Cameras

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Default Cameras

We all think speed cameras are a revenue source for each council, agreed. But they do have their uses, slowing traffic near hot spots (Schools), for which I’m all for. But more recently I feel the councils should be looking at red light cameras. Slightly over the speed limit, we all do it, is at times acceptable (my opinion).
    But recently the people who blatantly run a red light is getting beyond a joke.

In Haydock we have two sets of traffic lights (Haydock Lane, Piele Road) which I can guarantee on 6 out of 10 changes at least one car runs the red, and not just an amber light close to red but blatant RED. Obviously I ride a bike and we are a little faster away from the lights due to our ease in acceleration and the amount of times, if I wasn’t aware of this growing problem, I would have been side swiped is unbelievable.
    Anyone else noticed this?

Rainhill Stoops roundabout (M62 Junction 7) which I use many times each day, has lights on each entry point and it always requires a sideways glance when the lights change to green due to the number of people that jump red lights.

Got A Season Ticket

I've heard the one about siting cameras on "hotspots".

With respect, largely rubbish.

Where is the "hotspot" on Prescot Road coming up to Alexandra Park, where they routinely site a mobile camera round the bend at the end of the long straight?

Where is the camera on Grosvenor/Laurel Road, to catch the speeders doing 40+ morning and night to avoid the lights at the Bird?

I agree the light jumpers are a bigger menace, but why cant the uk adopt the US system, of legal being able to turn through a red light right, where there is no traffic? Obviously ours would need to be a left turn concession, but still, I think the real issue, is one of common sense

Elton Head Rd is another example. It's 30mph but people have come off the linkway (70mph ) and regularly do 40-50mph past the park entrance and down to Sutton High
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

crossroads of sutton heath road and elephant lane.. go through on the 'g' of the Green at your peril!!

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    crossroads of sutton heath road and elephant lane.. go through on the 'g' of the Green at your peril!!

I live on Elephant Lane and it's lethal at those lights.... there is no delay at all between one set of lights changing to red and one of the others changing to green
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

I deliberately GO GO GO on green, the odds of getting hit and a big compo payout are very good. Sadly.

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    Rainhill Stoops roundabout (M62 Junction 7) which I use many times each day, has lights on each entry point and it always requires a sideways glance when the lights change to green due to the number of people that jump red lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    I deliberately GO GO GO on green, the odds of getting hit and a big compo payout are very good. Sadly.
    I haven't had an issue with that roundabout in using it 5 days a week for last 8 years or so. Maybe you are too quick off the starting grid Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    We all think speed cameras are a revenue source for each council, agreed. But they do have their uses, slowing traffic near hot spots (Schools), for which I’m all for. But more recently I feel the councils should be looking at red light cameras. Slightly over the speed limit, we all do it, is at times acceptable (my opinion).
    But recently the people who blatantly run a red light is getting beyond a joke.

In Haydock we have two sets of traffic lights (Haydock Lane, Piele Road) which I can guarantee on 6 out of 10 changes at least one car runs the red, and not just an amber light close to red but blatant RED. Obviously I ride a bike and we are a little faster away from the lights due to our ease in acceleration and the amount of times, if I wasn’t aware of this growing problem, I would have been side swiped is unbelievable.
    Anyone else noticed this?
    If you were the bloke on the bike tonight at aprox 17.15 waiting in the Manchester bound carriageway for pewfall lights to change to green What were you doing in the middle of the junction when traffic was still coming across the carriageway from Ashton?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS View Post
    I haven't had an issue with that roundabout in using it 5 days a week for last 8 years or so. Maybe you are too quick off the starting grid Lewis
    Jensen, actually.

It's the Ele Lane - Sutton Heath Road lights that I don't hang about on, Rainhill Stoops I always check first.

I mainly see red light jumpers on the M62 West exit slip road from Warrington, the A577 from Widnes and the A57 from Rainhill. I probably use that roundabout 30 - 40 times a week, at various times of day and I see a jumper about 1 in 5 times.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    If you were the bloke on the bike tonight at aprox 17.15 waiting in the Manchester bound carriageway for pewfall lights to change to green What were you doing in the middle of the junction when traffic was still coming across the carriageway from Ashton?
    Nope not me I'm a nice guy :saint:
    There are lots of part time riders out at this time of year on very shiny bikes, that don't see the rain.