Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Aaron Ramsey almost in Saints shirt...

Banned

Default Aaron Ramsey almost in Saints shirt...

Arsenals Welsh wonderkid nearly ended up at St Helens...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2141230.ece

I think he will be earning a lot more money now for a sport that will carry less of a risk for injuries.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I think he will be earning a lot more money now for a sport that will carry less of a risk for injuries.
    True. If he makes it as one of Aresenal's stars, he'll earn more in a couple of seasons than he would have in a full rugby career.

This is an issue that needs to be considered when you look at the talent available for rugby and other sports at a young age. If someone excels at more than one sport, as many do at a young age, football will almost always be the first choice. (I know there are notable exceptions such as Dennis Betts.)In Australia, on the other hand, rugby league is one of the glamour sports and therefore one of the highest paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    True. If he makes it as one of Aresenal's stars, he'll earn more in a couple of seasons than he would have in a full rugby career.

This is an issue that needs to be considered when you look at the talent available for rugby and other sports at a young age. If someone excels at more than one sport, as many do at a young age, football will almost always be the first choice. (I know there are notable exceptions such as Dennis Betts.)In Australia, on the other hand, rugby league is one of the glamour sports and therefore one of the highest paid.
    Other notable exceptions include Matty Smith who was offered terms at Everton and - I think - Steve Tyrer also?

I think the lads will go with whatever sport they feel they can be most successful in rather than for the money, at that age their success isn't guaranteed whichever way they go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post

true, however you are probably more likely to make it at the top level in Rugby League than in Football. The sheer numbers of people playing football means (i would guess) that as a proportion more players in amateur RL, make it big, than the proportion of footballers

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Indeed. Professional Football or Professional Rugby? It's a no brainer really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TMF View Post
    Other notable exceptions include Matty Smith who was offered terms at Everton and - I think - Steve Tyrer also?

I think the lads will go with whatever sport they feel they can be most successful in rather than for the money, at that age their success isn't guaranteed whichever way they go.

Everton actually released him before saints offered him a contract - I was with him when he found out. Great footy player he was but a little small

Tyrer was a goal keeper at Wigan. He tried getting in my friends nickers by telling her it was United.

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I was with him when he found out.....

....he was a little small
    You're not with him any more then? Shame it didn't work out between you two.

Not because of his 'size' issue I hope.

You're not with him any more then? Shame it didn't work out between you two.

Not because of his 'size' issue I hope.
    lollollol

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Bazdev seems to know personally every saints player, what they are up to, etc. . . seems a bit odd for a pie eater to be so obsessed about Saints players.