Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellens to retire from international RL ?

Default Not rumours

Heard tonight, Wellens is considering packing internationals in, after his poor performances in the world cup.
    Wigan are to off load Phelps so that they can sign Bird, that's if Warrington don't get in first.

Got A Replica Shirt Yeovil Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    Heard tonight, Wellens is considering packing internationals in, after his poor performances in the world cup.
    Wigan are to off load Phelps so that they can sign Bird, that's if Warrington don't get in first.

i think its fair to say that at international level we are pretty garbage. In recent top international games I can only remmeber scully and james graham having good games in an international shirt.

If I was a pro rugby league player, i dont think I would want to play for such a crap side as england.
    http://www.somersetvikings.co.uk/

Im not sure he would be picked now.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

the reason they want to get shut of him isn't that
    phelps had a drinking problem in australia aswell as his new team mate mark riddel
    phelps and riddell used to play together and when phelps came to wigan he got out of drinking when the world cup was on phelps flew home to australia and started drinking again
    with piggy boy riddell

that is not rumour
    that is true

however wigan will also wont to get shut of him so he can be off the quota
    another wigan player tim smith had a drinking problem i'm not sure wether he
    has been banned from driving because his dad drives him to training
    and i have seen that with my own eyes
    promise

hahaaaa lol
    wigan are stuck with no 6 next season
    tim smith is hopeless

The Wellens rumour will have come from RL express.
    In that Wello was none committal over his international future, which for me is the best way for him to respond.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I'd have Phelps any day. A decent centre/winger who kicks goals doesnt sound bad to me. Despite his off field record i'd have him.

Plus he'd be good in the early season wet weather!!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    In that Wello was none committal over his international future, which for me is the best way for him to respond.
    From the Manchester Evening news, Wellens says considring his International future after HIS poor performances in the world cup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    phelps had a drinking problem in australia aswell as his new team mate mark riddel
    phelps and riddell used to play together and when phelps came to wigan he got out of drinking when the world cup was on phelps flew home to australia and started drinking again
    with piggy boy riddell

that is not rumour
    that is true

promise

hahaaaa lol
    tim smith is hopeless

haha, ask wally lewis???

Banned

After speaking to him last week, I agree with him 100%. Top professional and why should he put himself thru that again when he got no support?

Banned

A long time ago maybe, but this has been going on since November, it all depends on the RFL giving Bird a VISA

Got A Season Ticket

if we were to be honest as much of a great club player wello is as a international fullback he is pants!! and just not good enough against the top class players from the southern hemisphere.

In The South Stand

Whilst Paul Wellens did not have a good world cup at all, hardly any players emerged with any credit from England. All the players performed well below thier capabilities and if were honest several of them might not be picked again at international level. The question is though who is better as we don't have a huge pot of players to choose from.

it might be good for wello not to play internationally again, its worked for the better for longy and KC, they had great seasons last year, after not play for country and having a proper pre-season,

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    A long time ago maybe, but this has been going on since November, it all depends on the RFL giving Bird a VISA
    The RFL give out visa's now do they? Never come across that one before

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

lol

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    with piggy boy riddell

that is not rumour
    that is true

promise

hahaaaa lol
    tim smith is hopeless

They haven't got an No.6 we haven't got a No.4,what a cracking pair we are!

After speaking to him last week, I agree with him 100%. Top professional and why should he put himself thru that again when he got no support?
    Do you ever talk to Wigan players

You must spend all your time trawling around town looking for our players. Talking to him..... heard him say that.............. he told me this......he told me that. You should be called Miss Marple.

Banned

Do you ever talk to Wigan players

You must spend all your time trawling around town looking for our players. Talking to him..... heard him say that.............. he told me this......he told me that. You should be called Miss Marple.

I live in St Helens and am friends with a few saints players. Why does it bother you so much???

Somebody else was there who has posted on here, do u feel left out??? aaaaaaaaahhhhhh its a shame.

Grow up u tool

Spot on there Mr. Chairmaker. Wello did not say anything of the kind about finishing. That is how rumours start and we should not believe everything that is down in black and white.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Hi
    I think that Wello is right to give up International Rugby & give his body a rest so as to get back to his Best for the Saint's. Also its his testimonial Season so he will be out on an evening promoting that. Which in my opinion is very hard work.

Learning All The Songs

Wellens is respected as a top man, and great ambassador for the saints, but time has caught up with him as a full back whos lack of pace has been exposed in australia.I hope he plays 13 or sub,then after retiring has a couple of years as assistant coach then takes the reigns as Saints first team coach.

I live in St Helens and am friends with a few saints players. Why does it bother you so much???

Somebody else was there who has posted on here, do u feel left out??? aaaaaaaaahhhhhh its a shame.

Grow up u tool
    It doesn't bother me owd lad, I just think you're a know all, and don't call me a tool either, i might just drop on you in the near future.:eek:

It doesn't bother me owd lad, I just think you're a know all, and don't call me a tool either,
    -------------------------------------------------------

i might just drop on you in the near future.:eek:
    What from a great height?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Mulder View Post
    Spot on there Mr. Chairmaker. Wello did not say anything of the kind about finishing. That is how rumours start and we should not believe everything that is down in black and white.
    To be honest though, I wish he would retire before the only memories of him from supporters of other clubs are bad ones.

We all know how great a player Wellens has been for us over the years but the fact remains that he is too slow to play at full back against Australia and New Zealand and this situation will only get worse.

I'm not sure he will last more than a year or two at full back in Super League but I'd like him to concentrate on us now and let's see someone else carry the can as a full back in a distinctly average England side.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I think most of us will take a selfish approach. If Wellens removes the pressure of performing for your country and focus on his club, we're likely to see more from him.

It's true he's too slow against the likes of New Zealand and Australia but we haven't developed someone good enough to fill his shoes. Lee Smith is the obvious choice, but Wellens' brain is much better.